30% of Meat-Eaters Won’t Date a Vegetarian: Would You Date Someone With Different Eating Habits?

According to a recent Love Bites survey by TODAY.com and Match.com, for many, shared dietary preferences are key when making a love connection.

30% of the meat-eaters surveyed said they would not date a vegetarian or vegan. On the other hand, only 4% of the vegetarians said that they wouldn't date a meat-eater. (But keep in mind—only 2% of Americans identify as vegetarian and 3% as vegan. That’s a pretty small dating pool!)

So why won’t these meat-eaters date vegans or vegetarians? 1) Many consider sharing food a very important part of romance and don’t want to be with someone who won’t share those moments. 2) Others dislike feeling judged or pressured to give up meat. 3) Many just don’t like picky eaters; 66% of respondents described that trait as a turn-off. 4) And some view meat-eaters as more "manly."

Yet, many cross-dietary couples are able to accommodate each other’s choices and make the relationship work.

“The ability to accommodate to needs of a new partner is really important – both people have to work at it,” said Dr Helen Fisher, a biological anthropologist and Match.com’s chief scientific adviser. “The vegetarian has to send the message that they can work around it, they can find or bring alternatives to barbecues or family gatherings, and the meat eater has to be willing to bend once in a while as well.”

What about you SodaHeads? Would you date someone with different eating habits?

Read More: http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/06/...

• whispering hands 2012/07/08 06:38:15
    whispering hands
    +6
    I've been vegetarian most of my life and every guy i've dated was a meat eater. It's not a big deal at all, i don't get how some people can make such a huge issue out of something so minuscule.

Also, the fact that I refuse to eat a "big juicy steak" shouldn't reflect on my or any other vegetarian's personality.

• Lucy Bill 2012/07/09 07:07:02
    Lucy
    Oh, so you are going to generalize that veggie people are crazy and alcoholics. If only 2 % of people are vegetarians who are the rest of the millions of alchies?
  • Bill Lucy 2012/07/09 12:28:12
    Bill
    Have some chicken nuggets, chill
  • Asa 2012/07/08 23:56:53
    Asa
    Yes, I would.
  • tori 2012/07/08 23:02:17
    tori
    +1
    Eating habits are a personal choice. As long as they don't have a problem watching me eat meat, I don't have a problem. Plus, why would not being able to share food be a turn off?
  • Lucy tori 2012/07/09 07:08:21
    Lucy
    Yes, I thought that' I can't imagine why it would matter at all if someone did or did not eat meat as far as sharing food. you could share desserts if you are that into sharing. Weird.
  • mark 2012/07/08 22:59:16
    mark
    +1
    Just don't expect to change me and I won't try to change you. I'll take the big steak , if you wish , you can have the tofu.
  • Quiet-is-feared 2012/07/08 22:57:07
    Quiet-is-feared
    +3
    I don't care what they eat. As Long as I get to eat my meat then i will date them. If they try to alter my eating habbits, then no. its Not ok.
  • RobHom 2012/07/08 22:53:04
    RobHom
    +1
    Why would I want to set myself up to hear more crap? Gee, I'll bet a lovely comely hottie of a vegan would just love to go to my favorite Bar-b-Que joint and watch them slice off a hunk of haunch for me....or drop a king size rack of ribs in front of me,,,,then watch me demolish them!! Oh yeah....maybe I would if I was trying to chase her off. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. Wait....I wouldn't date a vegan anyway..... Don't ask me why..that would be a stupid question. Almost as stupid as asking a JW why he or she didn't marry an atheist!
  • Maat56 2012/07/08 22:28:58
    Maat56
    +1
    Not on Earth to judge anyone. Just a passager!
  • TooSweet 2012/07/08 22:15:34
    TooSweet
    +1
    Absolutely,I would respect her choices and she would need to respect mine.I don't mind going vegetarian now and then and I like to cook my meat outside on the grill,so it could be a do-able thing.
  • Lindsey 2012/07/08 22:12:28
    Lindsey
    +1
    That's such an small part of a person, I mean really, you're going to dump someone because they don't have steak for dinner? Or because they do? Who cares, it just shows that they have a problem being tolerate of people different from themselves. I'm a vegetarian, and the only thing I would ask if I had a meat-eating boyfriend is that they prepare their own meat :P
  • Lucy Lindsey 2012/07/09 07:09:32
    Lucy
    You are so right.
  • Kigan 2012/07/08 22:12:25
    Kigan
    +1
    As long as that person doesn't expect me to change my eating habits to fit theirs.

I don't see the problem with different eating habits. Based on my cooking experiences, preparing for the different habits isn't all that difficult, and neither is eating out.
  • Drachen 2012/07/08 21:28:42
    Drachen
    As long as she lets me and our possible kids eat meat, I'm fine.
  • bman~AVA~BTTB 2012/07/08 21:14:30
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    I know when I used to train drivers for semi's I got 1 vegetarian and to be honest?? That was one strange dude. I'm not saying that all vegetarians are like that but he was an odd nut for sure. I don't know that I'd date a vegetarian or not but I'm thinking not.
  • Vicereine Killbride 2012/07/08 21:13:35
    Vicereine Killbride
    +2
    Of course.
  • Amelia 2012/07/08 21:11:49
  • ☆ElenaDiamond☆ 2012/07/08 21:10:25
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +1
    Yes as long ad they didn't expect me to follow suit.
  • Dodgerfan 2012/07/08 20:56:16
    Dodgerfan
    +3
    I went on a plant based diet two years ago with terrible blow back from my spouse. She has gotten over it now and my health is much improved while hers continues to tank.
  • Jack 2012/07/08 20:56:09
    Jack
    +1
    Although I firmly believe that we're meant to eat meat, I don't have a problem with vegetarians, per se. However, all the vegetarians I've met have been very boring, and very liberal, so it would tend to put me off.
  • eagle8 2012/07/08 20:55:00
    eagle8
    +1
    i'm allergic to all kinds of food so who ever eats with me has to bend their habits....
  • Lucy eagle8 2012/07/09 07:11:30
    Lucy
    Why? If the person is not allegic why does her or she have to eat what you eat?
  • eagle8 Lucy 2012/07/10 01:00:44
    eagle8
    They don't Lucy, they don't. Funny you grab me of all comments just cause huh? Well whatever you got me know. Married, have two kids and when we plan meals as a family, we eat together, good for you glad you and your family can eat whatever the hell they want and most times the family does eat around me but when it comes to eating the main course, we're usually in it together. Just how family goes, you know? sticking together to make it work, you know?......anything you'd know about, huh, family, making sacrifices for the people you love, huh? Let me know that works out for you...
  • cnsharp 2012/07/08 20:45:22
    cnsharp
    +2
    I wouldn't mind dating a vegetarian but they might not want to date because I'm not going to change my eating habits just cause someone does not like them. If we can both just agree to disagree then I think we will be just fine.
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/07/08 20:24:45
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +1
    I can't eat sugar, food additives, wheat, dairy, or eggs...Even though I can still eat meat I don't eat it a lot so I can handle a little vegetarian. Quite possibly a full blown vegan.
  • Sarah Alexander 2012/07/08 20:23:52
    Sarah Alexander
    +5
    I say "Yes" although, as a vegan, I prefer to date another vegan or a vegetarian though will totally date meat-eaters. I think it's just an issue if the vegan/veg makes a big deal out of them eating meat or, and this has happened to me, the meat-eater makes a big deal out of the vegan/veg not eating meat.
  • bluelady 2012/07/08 20:23:34
    bluelady
    it would depend...I could deal with someone eating Kosher...but Vegan?? vegetarian is an old Native American word for "lousy hunter"
  • Nekosarethebest 2012/07/08 20:17:33
    Nekosarethebest
    Yup!
  • Naked 2012/07/08 20:09:33
    Naked
    +1
    It's not that big of a deal.
  • KaylaE 2012/07/08 20:04:47
    KaylaE
    +1
    I have dated guys with different eating habits than mine. I am a boarder line vegetarian.

I say boarder line because every once in a while I get a craving for meat and will eat it and I also am not this way because of choice I am because it makes me sick to my stomach every time I eat meat. I don't know why but it just does
  • Lucy KaylaE 2012/07/09 07:14:15
    Lucy
    +1
    I gave up meat for ten years and then one day I had a Big Mac attack. I bit into the meat and almost threw up. Never went back and haven't had any meat fo 35 years; extremely healthy. I have no stomach cramps anymore. Anyway, longevity studies are now talking about plant based diets, so we shall see.
  • TheCouchF*cker 2012/07/08 20:01:37
    TheCouchF*cker
    +1
    If they don't make a big deal out of it, I wouldn't care.
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/07/08 19:52:25
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    If they forced me to stop eating meat, no. If not, yes.
  • john.keenan.792 2012/07/08 19:48:14
    john.keenan.792
    +1
    that's just caveman like what you won't date a girl because she has a sepperate taste in food as yourself and vice verce, surely relationships should be based on more than food
  • 20 2012/07/08 18:53:30
    20
    +2
    Yes I WILL
  • Kyra 2012/07/08 18:39:45
    Kyra
    +2
    The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.
    Romans 14:3-4
  • Death On Two Legs 2012/07/08 18:36:08
    Death On Two Legs
    +2
    Quite frankly, I don't care what you eat.
  • Flor de Luna 2012/07/08 18:22:45
    Flor de Luna
    +1
    As long as they wouldn't have a problem letting me eat what I wanted.
  • Michael 2012/07/08 18:20:11
    Michael
    +2
    Unfortunately, "after" falling in love with my now husband, I found out he was allergic to garlic! I knew he did not eat red meat already. That "allergy" was more of a problem than the chicken and fish only part! Family meals have become even more complicated more recently as there is a "no wheat" restriction, Kosher restriction and simple other things like everyone liking a different diet drink (i.e. Peach Snapple, Coke, Pepsi, and Dr. Pepper!). If all these things happened at once, that would be different than adjusting incrementally. Life is an adjustment and compromise. Don't miss out on someone because of something as simple as food, there are infinite varieties to choose from.
  • Skye 2012/07/08 18:17:00
    Skye
    +1
    Uh, yes....

2014/08/30 07:08:35