30% of Meat-Eaters Won’t Date a Vegetarian: Would You Date Someone With Different Eating Habits?

According to a recent Love Bites survey by TODAY.com and Match.com, for many, shared dietary preferences are key when making a love connection.

30% of the meat-eaters surveyed said they would not date a vegetarian or vegan. On the other hand, only 4% of the vegetarians said that they wouldn't date a meat-eater. (But keep in mind—only 2% of Americans identify as vegetarian and 3% as vegan. That’s a pretty small dating pool!)

So why won’t these meat-eaters date vegans or vegetarians? 1) Many consider sharing food a very important part of romance and don’t want to be with someone who won’t share those moments. 2) Others dislike feeling judged or pressured to give up meat. 3) Many just don’t like picky eaters; 66% of respondents described that trait as a turn-off. 4) And some view meat-eaters as more "manly."

Yet, many cross-dietary couples are able to accommodate each other’s choices and make the relationship work.

“The ability to accommodate to needs of a new partner is really important – both people have to work at it,” said Dr Helen Fisher, a biological anthropologist and Match.com’s chief scientific adviser. “The vegetarian has to send the message that they can work around it, they can find or bring alternatives to barbecues or family gatherings, and the meat eater has to be willing to bend once in a while as well.”

What about you SodaHeads? Would you date someone with different eating habits?

Read More: http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/06/...

• whispering hands 2012/07/08 06:38:15
    whispering hands
    +6
    I've been vegetarian most of my life and every guy i've dated was a meat eater. It's not a big deal at all, i don't get how some people can make such a huge issue out of something so minuscule.

Also, the fact that I refuse to eat a "big juicy steak" shouldn't reflect on my or any other vegetarian's personality.

• Rachel 2012/07/09 17:13:21 (edited)
    Rachel
    +3
    Though it would also depend on their comfort level with the fact that I eat meat. If I get scoffed at every time I eat a burger, then that relationship wouldn't get far. I also, probably, would be uncomfortable dating a vegan, or at least the more strict of them. It's not about food preferences at that point, but a philosophical difference of opinion that is disruptive enough to my daily life to make such a relationship possibly/probably awkward.
  • Molly.Herrera.Bean 2012/07/09 16:33:48
    Molly.Herrera.Bean
    39 years, my husband and I eat different from each other, he is eating to gain weight and I eat to lose weight its tough but not a big issue in our home
  • ambrosia 2012/07/09 16:02:58
    ambrosia
    +2
    I think the 30% probably have some notion that vegetarians talk all the time about not eating meat. True that few of them do, the ones who talk about it constantly are probably going to go back to eating meat from what I have seen. I dont talk about it, and unless you eat with me frequently and are very observant noticing I dont order food containing meat... you would never know it. Vegetarian for 17 years now (I'm 29) and that is my choice. For every vegetarian that talks about why people shouldnt eat meat, there are 10 meat eaters which will get offended and try to tell you why you should eat it. Why cant we just respect eachother? Everyone should do what they think is right and not try to push their beliefs on others.

I dont view it any different than someone who doesnt eat milk because they are lactose intolerant or allergic to nuts. My fiance eats mostly meat. We share food. Sometimes we order the same thing and I will give him my meat and he gives me his salad. We share curry, pasta, vegetables, side dishes, ect. To eliminate anyone because what they do or do not eat is stupid if you ask me.
  • ambrosia ambrosia 2012/07/09 16:09:44
    ambrosia
    +3
    I cry "Ewww" less than many meat eaters. Like my man orders brains when we went to indian and to me, all meat is equal. He could order blood made from jello or animal testicles. To me, its just all things that he would eat that I wouldnt. I really find it hard to believe that all couples like exactly the same foods.
  • Diddley Squat 2012/07/09 15:56:35
    Diddley Squat
    +4
    I don't "date" at all. But if I did, I don't particularly care what a person eats - within limits. No cannibals, please.
  • hannah 2012/07/09 15:45:02
    hannah
    i dont know. it would feel a little weird but its just whatever. i dont eat meat but i eat fish and veggies. i guess it would be weird if they hated fish. if i were to go on a date it would be with a serious seafood-lover like me. XD that way we would have something in common ((and i wouldnt have to hear them constantly complain about how much they hate fish and the smell of the seafood id be eating. XDDD )
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦơșƐ3033♌ 2012/07/09 15:35:13
  • liltah23 2012/07/09 15:31:09
    liltah23
    +4
    because u waste money on different food
  • ambrosia liltah23 2012/07/09 16:31:34
    ambrosia
    +4
    I think that is a horrible reason to deny being with the otherwise perfect person for you, but it also just isnt true. Meat is expensive. You would buy less of it. Replace it with cheap beans and tofu. Your grocery bill would actually go down by having a vegetarian rather than a meat eater. Just look at a menu at a restaurant to see how the dish with meat is more expensive. Before you put the meat in the spagetti, just put some sauce aside for your vegetarian friend and you would get an extra meaty sauce. At no additional cost. Or you can buy less meat in the first place and thus save the money.
  • Ben 2012/07/09 15:15:24
    Ben
    Have you ever noticed that people with different diet lifestyles seem to talk an awful lot about their special diet and lifestyle? That's why.
  • ambrosia Ben 2012/07/09 16:36:32
    ambrosia
    +3
    I know that I try to keep my vegetarianism secret but when meat eaters find out about a third of them get defensive and try to convince me to eat it. Call me unamerican, unhealthy, unnatural. They would not do that if I did not want to eat nuts. Most of those people say vegetarians are pushy about their beliefs but they probably are unaware of all the people they know who are vegetarian who dont talk about it. We have to keep it secret because meat eaters will hold it against us. Like the 30% who would not date one.
  • Wayne 2012/07/09 14:49:26
    Wayne
    No.
  • Jules 2012/07/09 14:48:51
    Jules
    Hey! If you really like/love that person the fact that their a vegetarian shouldn't matter, and most likely you could find a way to make it work.
  • JCLadybug 2012/07/09 14:48:24
    JCLadybug
    +2
    But, it they tried to change me over entirely (or always critiquing food choices), then I would have to end it.
  • KeithL 2012/07/09 14:43:05
  • u000 2012/07/09 14:09:47
    u000
    i would prefer she was a vegetarian like me
  • Jenna 2012/07/09 13:58:32
    Jenna
    I'm a vegetarian and guys thinks it's cool when I tell them bout it. They don't really care
  • ZenerSix 2012/07/09 13:20:28 (edited)
    ZenerSix
    +4
    I have dated vegans. Some of them can't help but make a big stink about the meat on your plate every time you eat together. I admire their a moral crusade to save the animals but I'm not giving up my bbq chicken shish kababs.

chicken shish kabab
  • mm61675 ZenerSix 2012/07/09 22:10:28
    mm61675
    +1
    that looks delicious
  • chuck 2012/07/09 13:16:17
    chuck
    +2
    And married her too
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/09 13:11:32
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    But they better not be a pain in the ass. A friend married a vegan,and she bitched everytime we went out to dinner. And my friend was so P-whooped about it. When thye divorced, we said Lets go to HOOTERS.
  • Boris Badinov 2012/07/09 13:11:06
    Boris Badinov
    I do a modicum of rabbit food. I don't need to negotiate who's doing what for lunch..
  • LUFXIII 2012/07/09 13:06:35
    LUFXIII
    love is tricky, u can gt along
  • goblue1968 2012/07/09 12:58:53
    goblue1968
    +1
    But when I order a steak cooked medium rare so I can see a little blood when I cut into it, I will not care if a vegetarian table-mate screams "Ewww!"
  • hollowp... goblue1968 2012/07/09 15:13:13
    hollowpointxkilljoy
    +1
    Lol! I'm not a vegetarian and I'd still scream ew! But by all means, eat your bloody steak, and enjoy it :) (wasn't being sarcastic, seriously)
  • Gaven Small 2012/07/09 12:16:54
    Gaven Small
    +1
    If you wouldnt date someone purely on the fact they dont eat meat then you probably shouldnt have an opinion
  • GwEN 2012/07/09 11:59:28
    GwEN
    +1
    as long as they aren't knocking my meat-eating then we are fine :)
  • woodnymph 2012/07/09 11:51:42
    woodnymph
    +2
    I would casually date a meat eater but I probably wouldn't enter into a long term relationship with one. The reasons for this are that if we decided to have children I'd want to raise them as vegetarians, and I wouldn't expect a meat eater to be okay with doing so. Also, being a vegetarian is a big part of who I am and would like to be able to be with someone who understands that.
  • ambrosia woodnymph 2012/07/09 16:58:01
    ambrosia
    +1
    I would my my kids to decide for themselves. I would expose them to both diets. I was raised by a semi-vegetarian and meat eater and I think my sticking to my diet for so long was because it was something I decided to do myself as a tween. If it had been forced against my will, I would have snuck meat whenever I went to a friends house and then probably started eating it regularly when I moved out. Most vegetarians I know where not raised that way.
  • Persephone 2012/07/09 11:35:23 (edited)
    Persephone
    +1
    I would have no problem in dating someone with different eating habits. I think that's a pretty lame reason for not dating someone.
    Besides, I'm not a vegetarian and it's very likely that I'm a lot more picky when it comes to food.
  • george 2012/07/09 11:15:00
    george
    +1
    Different eating habits would make it a challenge at times but if I were really attracted to someone I would date her and if I really loved her I would marry her. There are much bigger relationship challenges than food. Like Inlaws!
  • Maryam 2012/07/09 11:04:29
    Maryam
    yup no problem :)))
  • Lucy 2012/07/09 06:57:35
    Lucy
    Of course. Why would I care what someone eats? I am vegetarian.
  • realist 2012/07/09 06:40:53
    realist
    As a bodybuilder not many girls share my eating habits, and I have never had an issue. More amazement on their part that I can eat the same boring fare day in day out for months on end.

Guess they know healthy eating even en mass means a healthy body and they like the healthy body :)

Similarly a vegan girlfriend would most probably reap many rewards of eating such healthy and lean food, so I personally would have nooooo problem with that hehe.
  • Flyingbug 2012/07/09 06:10:18
    Flyingbug
    +1
    I am willing to try the other person's food choices within reason. However, if they want to be so controlling that it becomes 'my way or the highway', that's not going to work well.
  • Fashionable60s 2012/07/09 05:38:39
    Fashionable60s
    +2
    There are food nazis on both sides of the eating spectrum. I'm a professionally trained cook, I accommodate vegans, allergics and omnivores at my table and I can cook delicious food that all could enjoy. It is when someone becomes demanding and critical of my hospitality that I literally would scratch his/her name from my future social gatherings. About dating rules? No food fanatics or food nazis. Everybody else is welcome into my life as long as we could understand each other's food preferences.
  • MyPaperBleedsInk 2012/07/09 05:37:02
    MyPaperBleedsInk
    Well, I'm kind of anti-vegetarian. I feel as though most if not all of their reasons for being one are incredibly stupid. I have a feeling that if I'd end up dating one they try and get me to try their food, but if I would do the same and say "Here, try this steak", they wouldn't go for it.
    As I told some vegetarian people I know.... for every hamburger you skip, I'll eat 2.
  • Lucy MyPaper... 2012/07/09 07:00:58
    Lucy
    +2
    So you think having compassion for animals who are treated terrible at the slaughterhouse is stupid? Well, if you are that narrow-minded then you do need to limit your life to people exactly like yourself.
  • MyPaper... Lucy 2012/07/11 15:02:08
    MyPaperBleedsInk
    Treated horribly? What misguided world do you live in? Not the real one, apparently.
  • Lucy MyPaper... 2012/07/17 18:12:44
    Lucy
    Have you been to a slaughterhouse? If you have and you still think being loaded into a crowded truck, lined up and smelling the blood of other animals and then either killed or left on the killing floor injured is okay, there is nothing more I can say.

2014/09/02 07:21:28