20 Percent of Teens Partake in 'Sexting': Should They Face Charges?

Whatever the latest technology is, teenagers will use it to get up to no good. But that doesn't make it any less alarming that nearly 20 percent of high school students partake in sexting, according to a new study.

Donald Strassberg, of the University of Utah, found that nearly 20 percent of high school students (18 percent of males, 17 percent of females) admitted to having sent a sexually explicit image on their cellphone. Almost twice as many said they had received a sexual image on their phone (50 percent of males, 31 percent of females), LiveScience reports.

And here's the really scary part: About 25 percent confessed that when they received a sexually explicit image, they forwarded it to others. Plus, more than 8 percent said they had sent a sexually explicit photo that they took of someone else to a third party.

But here's the thing, kids: You can get into big trouble for doing this. In many states, sending or receiving nude pictures of someone under 18 (including yourself) could put you at risk of facing child pornography charges. Do you think teens who sext should face charges?

• Twinkle 2012/06/15 19:30:13 (edited)
    Twinkle
    +21
    It's their life if someone else sees it and it not their boyfriend or girlfriend or whoever who cares not my life.

I don t care gif

• whateverbabynevermind 2012/06/16 14:25:24
    whateverbabynevermind
    But not if you have a photo of yourself on the phone. If somebody else sends it without your permission it is child pornography. It's like getting a photo of a nine year old girl naked e-mailed to you and you forwarding it.
  • Happy21... whateve... 2012/06/16 23:17:05
    Happy212121
    +2
    Wow..you're waaay out there. Teenagers sexting with other teenagers (albeit wrong) is NOTHING even remotely close to me (a 35 yr old adult) getting a naked picture of a 9 yr old and forwarding it. Putting pedophiles and normal teenage kids in the same group is very disrespectful and insulting to the kids not to mention completely moronic! You need to get your head checked.
  • whateve... Happy21... 2012/06/18 17:01:56
    whateverbabynevermind
    Actually, I don't need to get my head checked. It's illegal. If a seventeen year old girl gives a photo of herself naked to her nineteen year old boyfriend it is just as illegal as getting a photo of a naked nine year old. If you think the age of consent should be lowered then that is a different topic entirely, but currently the law states (at least where I'm from, and where these students are from) that anyone distributing pornographic images from anyone under eighteen is distributing child pornography. If you think that's "moronic" then take it up with your local congressman.
  • jimrthy BN-0 2012/06/16 14:20:42
    jimrthy BN-0
    +2
    Kids will be kids. Laws that are going to be broken just cheapen society's general for respect in the rest.
  • HarleyCharley 2012/06/16 13:57:01
    HarleyCharley
    +2
    its normal...
  • CAPISCE 2012/06/16 13:41:32
  • The Steel General 2012/06/16 13:04:53
    The Steel General
    +3
    This is criminalizing TEEN SEX. this is wrong. oh wait it's not even SEX it's talking about sex ... wow. This is supported by ugly fat people who don't get any attention.
  • Kibbles The Ste... 2012/06/16 17:41:45
    Kibbles
    +2
    No, its supported by concerned parents, hell if you were a parent you'd be worried too. Criminalizing no, but I don't think teen sex should be like a "Yay go and do it" idea.
  • TasselLady 2012/06/16 12:49:52
    TasselLady
    +1
    But just let it go around the entire internet what they sexted. It would serve them right if everybody in the world knows what they wrote.
  • selena costa 2012/06/16 12:13:02 (edited)
    selena costa
    +1
    thats pretty stupid. Sexting is a choice. They choose to send it. And if they do they should smart enough to know if they could trust that person or not. What can i say Iv done it before.. so what ever
  • MICHALIA selena ... 2012/06/16 13:28:50
    MICHALIA
    +2
    I THINK THEY SHOULD SHOW IT AROUND THE INTERNET THAT PEOPLE LIKE ME CAN READ AND ENJOY WAT THEY WRITE
  • Avril Lavigne 2012/06/16 12:11:56
    Avril Lavigne
    +1
    Its their life, if they want to sext at that age they can, I don't supprt it though. But charging them for it is really not sensible. Its not a good thing to sext at that age.
  • xavier 2012/06/16 11:46:23
    xavier
    +4
    1)Sexting is not only pics but literally sexting.
    2)it there life and there business and if you charge them then F#%$ YOU because its a stupid. >:D that my people is my opinion(and yes I sext)
  • .: LiVi :. 2012/06/16 11:45:41
    .: LiVi :.
    +2
    Depending on circumstances. But if your going to send a naked picture of yourself, you should expect it to be passed round
  • das 2012/06/16 11:37:46
  • .: LiVi :. das 2012/06/16 11:44:26
  • Lady Aiyanna 2012/06/16 10:22:57 (edited)
    Lady Aiyanna
    Even simple texting a friend can end up with a restraining order if the person has only malice and hate in them which is unknown to you.

I say this as a friend decided to do that to me after telling me he wanted to write a book with me. I was okay with it but gave him the story line on SMS as I used to send him the synopsis whilst travelling home from work on public transport. He used it to make his money too but didnot want to let his wife in on his behaviour that I was aware of but didnot take seriously as I was not meeting him in person and belonged to the rival mobile network company where I worked earlier.

Should have thought twice and logically as this guy was always after the fact that he wanted to go at 'it' with me and I never took it seriously until the day I stood in court listening to what he had to say and proved that I had my evidence in hand - proof of all the outbound SMSes that I drew out based on my official capacity (used to work in the mobile call tracing and network maintenance team earlier this year) for six months on outbound only as inbound needed a court order.

This was what I emailed to the judge after the charges of a 6 month interim restraining order was given as the court houses here didnot have permission to take electronic evidence. The judge ope...

This was what I emailed to the judge after the charges of a 6 month interim restraining order was given as the court houses here didnot have permission to take electronic evidence. The judge openly called it a passing phase as I defended myself whilst he had a lawyer and gave this as opposed to a two year criminal record under harassment.

Its not just humiliating but debilitating for a person as it emotionally sears them, breaks them and for a person like me, I never ever share my number out any more or send SMSes to people unless they want a reply. Teens have to taught never to do this as this ends up with a lot of problem.

None the less I have used the evidence to write a book about the games people play to destroy reputation.

If the messages were explicit and sexual, it would have ended up with a two restraining and probably a jail time, it was luckily just a storyline synopsis which he never quite understood.

I silently informed my colleagues and was out of the picture from the work I loved doing most within two weeks and even moved home and location to prevent the person from getting in touch with me again. He did get in touch online, under an assumed name but found that out much later.
  • The Ste... Lady Ai... 2012/06/16 13:08:22
    The Steel General
    +1
    1. this is nice fiction. nothing more
    2. for arguments sake, lets suppose its true. maybe the part about you sexting with a married guy is true. How does this relate to teens sending sexy texts?? It don't
  • Lady Ai... The Ste... 2012/06/16 13:54:34
    Lady Aiyanna
    Lets me give you the background of the guy and why I text him. He was behaving lewdly with a young teenager and was my family friend whom I trusted a lot and called my husband a cheat that led to my chap having affairs just like him.
    But I was concerned about the teen who began showing signs of enjoying sexting and she is just 14-15 years old. That was the reason for the falling out. I wanted to get him to come out of that, and paid the price as he brainwashed the teen who sat there shell-shocked in court finding out he was a married man.
    The teenager was the girl for whom I fought as her mother thought it was okay for the man to use her at that age too.
    I tested the guy just like the teen (it was my job to trace characters of people) but it was not an affair or lewd. It was more about what was going on. The teen learnt what is was like to be with a man, used to post and send piccys around and worse call the office phones etc. just for the man as the mother said it was okay to do it.
    In my case, the text evidence was sent to the CEO of his company to tie him down to his desk rather than have a work from home which he was misusing because of the teen.
    Mine is temporary which has no record but I proved that texting causes problems.
    Man is married with two-three kids, wife bliss...

Man is married with two-three kids, wife blissfully unaware of her husbands escapades and is unwilling to listen to the truth either.
    So now she has the teenagers baby to take of. So much for lewd texting by the teen girl whom the man picked up thanks to her mother.

Teenagers learn to text dirty and flirty more from the company they keep. This one was taught by the mother to do it. I am a mother and if I caught my teenage child doing something like this, I would take the phone look at the names on to whom the messages were sent and get the whole texting section banned on the mobile as a whole.
    I work in the mobile industry and this is not something that is permissible as it can wreck homes, destroy reputation and even cause problems in marriages etc. We get calls like these everyday about teenagers sending lewd messages and that is why mobile connections are tied to the parents accounts for constant vigilant monitoring wherein the parent has online rights to check the types of messages sent out from the phone and ban text messaging altogether.
    For the record: Text messages are admissible as evidence in the court of law and sexting is considered to be sexual harassment and can be punished lawfully unless, the person on the other side applies consideration and speaks it out to the parent and gets it to stop. In my case, I was unaware of the man's intention to hide the teenagers escapade using my name.
    I have the court papers to prove it to you including his silly accusation that I wanted to propose to his wife with Anonymous roses. Yea Right!!! It was a hilarious case that made the court room erupt in laughter but I can tell you I cried my heart out for three hours before going for the case and then working as if nothing happened after the hearing.
  • ticlo7 2012/06/16 09:39:08
    ticlo7
    +1
    Actually, it'll come back to bite them in the arse anyway. Once it's out there, it'll stay out there.
  • MICHALIA ticlo7 2012/06/16 13:29:56 (edited)
    MICHALIA
    +1
    THAT'S THERE CHOICE AND SOME WON'T EVEN REGRET IT A BIT ANYWAY
  • ticlo7 MICHALIA 2012/06/16 15:41:43
    ticlo7
    +1
    When everybody then knows them for it? I know the story of a girl and her family who had to leave town because of it. Not a great ending, that's for sure.
  • ♥Lyss♥ 2012/06/16 07:36:34
    ♥Lyss♥
    +3
    IF they want to be a whore, then let them.
  • MICHALIA ♥Lyss♥ 2012/06/16 13:31:33
    MICHALIA
    +3
    YEAH IT'S THERE CHOICE SOME DON'T EVEN CARE
  • Jacob 2012/06/16 07:21:53
    Jacob
    +2
    Never! What they want to do is their choice. Heck I use to do it a lot.
  • 13_JunkyardDog 2012/06/16 07:07:26
    13_JunkyardDog
    like everything sexual there is a line.

should you be fined for sexting? in my opinion, no.

should you be fined for sexting if you are 30 and the other is 14? in my opinion, you should be more than fined....
  • RoseyRhod 2012/06/16 06:10:57
    RoseyRhod
    +3
    No, but they should wise the hell up. I've never heard of "sexting" leading to anything good. It's a damn dumb idea.
  • jimrthy... RoseyRhod 2012/06/16 14:36:37
    jimrthy BN-0
    +1
    It does sound dumb, but it's just another kind of foreplay. It can lead to *wonderful* things if the people involved have decent imaginations.

It's certainly inappropriate for teens, but I don't remember being a particularly "appropriate" teen.
  • Nikki Zoe Salamander 2012/06/16 05:58:40
    Nikki Zoe Salamander
    Some times people dont wamt to recieve them...they just het them. Plus lots of teens these days are already having sex which is worse. They should get charged for THAT. Instead.
    And sometimes the teens have a strong relationship and the only way to keep them from having sex would be sexting!!
    I really dont care. But you know.
  • will 2012/06/16 05:50:37
    will
    +1
    Maybe not a sexual predator punishment but indecent exposure
    because when it is on the web it stays
  • boocab55 will 2012/06/16 11:52:31
    boocab55
    Aman to you.
  • lea_bil... will 2012/10/15 20:32:53
    lea_billings
    indecent exposure can get you on the sex offender registry, the same as being a sexual predator.
  • Naked 2012/06/16 05:46:07
    Naked
    +3
    Let parents deal with their children. We don't need the government to parent us.
  • boocab55 Naked 2012/06/16 11:54:26
    boocab55
    Bull S most parents don't know that their children are doing this.
  • jimrthy... boocab55 2012/06/16 14:25:36
    jimrthy BN-0
    +1
    That's the parents' fault. It's mostly happened because we've abdicated pretty much all responsibility to the government.
  • Naked boocab55 2012/06/16 14:51:44
    Naked
    +3
    That's not my problem. My children are my problem. The government has enough laws removing our rights in place. We don't need more to protect the dumb asses not parenting their kids. PEOPLE NEED TO PARENT THEIR OWN KIDS, NOT RELY ON THE GOVERNMENT TO DO IT.
  • ~♥~Sillie~♥~ 2012/06/16 05:31:52
    ~♥~Sillie~♥~
    +5
    Why? So we can be deprived of freedom? Age honestly doesn't matter. I mean what's the difference between a 15 year old and a 20 year old? Maturity? Yeah right! I've seen teenagers that are more mature than people over the age of 18.
  • Skye ~♥~Sill... 2012/06/16 05:42:32
    Skye
    +5
    True... I'm 13 and if someone was in a conversation with me they think I'm an adult. My grandma and aunt say my boyfriend would have to be 18 to reach my maturity level, though we all know that's illegal.
  • RoseyRhod ~♥~Sill... 2012/06/16 06:16:13
    RoseyRhod
    +3
    However, I don't think that someone who has a truly mature attitude would engage in an immature activity such as sexting.
  • ~♥~Sill... RoseyRhod 2012/06/16 07:41:04
    ~♥~Sillie~♥~
    Touché

2014/07/26 09:10:01