20 Percent of Teens Partake in 'Sexting': Should They Face Charges?

Whatever the latest technology is, teenagers will use it to get up to no good. But that doesn't make it any less alarming that nearly 20 percent of high school students partake in sexting, according to a new study.

Donald Strassberg, of the University of Utah, found that nearly 20 percent of high school students (18 percent of males, 17 percent of females) admitted to having sent a sexually explicit image on their cellphone. Almost twice as many said they had received a sexual image on their phone (50 percent of males, 31 percent of females), LiveScience reports.

And here's the really scary part: About 25 percent confessed that when they received a sexually explicit image, they forwarded it to others. Plus, more than 8 percent said they had sent a sexually explicit photo that they took of someone else to a third party.

But here's the thing, kids: You can get into big trouble for doing this. In many states, sending or receiving nude pictures of someone under 18 (including yourself) could put you at risk of facing child pornography charges. Do you think teens who sext should face charges?

• Twinkle 2012/06/15 19:30:13 (edited)
    Twinkle
    +21
    It's their life if someone else sees it and it not their boyfriend or girlfriend or whoever who cares not my life.

I don t care gif

• Robert White 2012/06/18 17:11:12
    Robert White
    As long they don't drive.
  • Issei Hyoudou 2012/06/18 17:10:03
    Issei Hyoudou
    Wait.. so sexting is sending explicit photos? ._.

Its not what I think it is.. :|
  • kobidob... Issei H... 2012/06/18 17:15:02
    kobidobidog
    Nature its self is explicit. God made it that way, Sheesh.
  • Ronni 2012/06/18 17:08:08
    Ronni
    +2
    Even though I don't think it is appropriate, you can't criminalize and legislate morality. I think we should be more focused on kids texting while driving, which is a threat to society.causing more than 400,000 accidents yearly. We already have laws dealing with child pornography!
  • Riku Xa... Ronni 2012/06/18 17:16:00
    Riku Xander
    +1
    That's kinda the point of this poll, I think... Should it be against child pornography laws to send naked pics of oneself?
  • David Torres 2012/06/18 17:06:10
    David Torres
    Only, if teens get behind the wheel and do not drive.
  • critter171 2012/06/18 17:05:54
    critter171
    I say yes for the fact they know better, but they should not have to sign registered sex offender
  • kobidob... critter171 2012/06/18 17:16:17
    kobidobidog
    +1
    The consept of sex offender gives a thing Jesus does not give. Can you guess?
  • critter171 kobidob... 2012/06/18 17:21:49
    critter171
    +1
    don't care what does Jesus have to do with this?
  • kobidob... critter171 2012/06/19 20:52:17
    kobidobidog
    Everything. Jesus in the soul saves the soul. Don't have him refusing him, and whomever will do bad waring etc calling it good. The humans even saying sex offender in hatred does not have Jesus in them. Eternally speaking you are responsible for you. A nosy human using accusing words is not responsible about themselves not even considering themselves being irresponsible. Devils are not responsible
  • critter171 kobidob... 2012/06/21 13:27:28
    critter171
    Jesus is people who want to believe in religion don't bring religion onto a webiste
  • kobidob... critter171 2012/06/21 17:58:29 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    +1
    Don't jump down my throat .You don't know about the conflict between Jesus, and the religions of his time.That conflict remains until this day. Yea all that will live godly in Christ shall suffer persecution. That is in 2 timothy.KJV,
    I am not representing a condemning, accusing, pious soft robbed praying on the street corner to impress the minds of men. Nether do I endorsing the laws of mosses that religions use to throw stones. Jesus ignored those laws, but religions accepted them. How then can you persist in calling what I do religious? Religious is the goats. Persecuted are the the Christians. It is the opposite to what you think.
  • critter171 kobidob... 2012/06/25 21:26:54
    critter171
    I dont care for a conflict of jesus and religions this is a site is about asking question not forcing your opioion of religion down people throat
  • kobidob... critter171 2012/07/08 06:11:18
    kobidobidog
    +1
    It is all connected. Jesus made sex. Jesus Like said is not religion. Had Jesus be religion he would be one of the soft robbed priests going along with stone throwing.
  • lea_bil... kobidob... 2012/10/15 16:27:49
    lea_billings
    +1
    forgiveness.
  • kobidob... lea_bil... 2012/10/16 00:57:18 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    Then Jesus would be seen for people to behold to be changed into his likeness. People would see a better way than giving guilt with jails saving their soul.
  • MichaelFRivero 2012/06/18 17:00:56
    MichaelFRivero
    +3
    Sexting is safer than hiding ion a closet for a fast game of "You show me yours and I;ll show you mine!"
  • Aquaduck 2012/06/18 16:54:58
    Aquaduck
    But I think they should face charges for forwarding someone else's explicit photos to other people with out that person's permission.
  • omeadhra 2012/06/18 16:52:07
    omeadhra
    +6
    This is why Europeans laugh at us. This country was essentially founded by Puritans.. and our sexual hang-ups to date prove that king of ethical world view about sex is alive and while. "Charging" teens, presumably for a criminal offense, for using a common communication tool to communicate their sexuality? Ridiculous. Prudes, parents, and preachers need to release their death-grip on human sexuality and except it for the beautiful, sometimes dirty, always complicated thing that is..and just let go of their fears of it.
  • Karinetta omeadhra 2012/06/18 17:56:50
    Karinetta
    "Prudes", teachers and parents are merely trying to preserve a semblence of decency in a country, where too many schoolgirls sport around dressed like hookers. Fortunately, even today Puritan ethics re work and sex are still alive and well in some quarters. Let Europeans laugh at their own de-christinazation, islamization and Euro-decline, and let's see who will have the last laugh (I suggest you review history and bone up on the fall of the Roman empire and its underlying reasons).
  • Karinetta 2012/06/18 18:14:33
    This country would be a lot better if it was de-christianized. Breast feeding is viewed as sexually explicit, gays are outcasted, now they want to charge teens for exploring their sexuality. There is a reason people are happier in Europe my friend.
  • Karinetta 2012/06/18 19:05:33
    Karinetta
    Sorry to disppoint you. I was raised in Europe -- Germany, to be exact -- and have followed up statistics. They don't look too felicitious, as compared to the US.
  • Mud 2012/06/18 16:38:13
    Mud
    The criminal system in this country is absolutely broken, sexting? Really?...
  • Tony Cicarella 2012/06/18 16:35:37
    Tony Cicarella
    +3
    I hit the wrong response. I meant to say no. The problem with the current law is that even though I disagree with teens doing this they get labeled as a sex offender for life. That's way overboard for what is basically young kids being somewhat stupid. It needs punishment but it needs to be tempered in context with the age of the offender. The current laws r ridiculous.
  • lea_bil... Tony Ci... 2012/10/15 16:49:16
    lea_billings
    well said!
  • KrSpo 2012/06/18 16:34:22 (edited)
    KrSpo
    +1
    Absolutely. If they are going to partake in adult things, they should face adult circumstances.
  • Kenneth... KrSpo 2012/06/18 19:52:33
    Kenneth Huang
    +1
    But that's the problem - they're not being treated like adults; they're being treated as "poor innocent vulnerable children" who have to be protected by being charged under the law, apparently.
  • KrSpo Kenneth... 2012/06/20 21:50:41
    KrSpo
    The ones getting charged are not being treated as poor innocent anything. We have 12 year olds getting charged in the US. As it should be in my opinion. My kids don;t do that, because they have been told what might happen.
  • Kenneth... KrSpo 2012/06/27 19:27:33
    Kenneth Huang
    +2
    My point is that it's hypocritical - on one hand we're trying to "protect" them because they're "just children"; on the other hand we're "protecting" them by using some very adult-level punishments, i.e. charging them under the law.

Unless you think that adults should be forbidden by law from sexting as well?
  • KrSpo Kenneth... 2012/06/27 19:29:50
    KrSpo
    No I get your point, I think we just have two different ways of expressing it.
  • lea_bil... KrSpo 2012/10/15 16:50:15
    lea_billings
    I bet you would be surprised at what your kids are actually doing.
  • sam 2012/06/18 16:31:02
    sam
    Just take the cameras of the phones, tell there old enough to know better.
  • VX 2012/06/18 16:28:42
    VX
    We need to remove the antiquated laws. Teens should never be prosecuted nor should the people they are texting.
  • cj 2012/06/18 16:09:04
    cj
    +1
    So I am going to answer no with the following qualifier..... It is against the law to produce or have in your possession any image of any human, male or female, under the age of 18, committing a sex act. So if that is what is being exchanged in the 'sexting' then so be it, and perhaps charges should apply..... same rules for everyone... HOWEVER, if this is a young couple exchanging some pics of themselves to each other, then no harm done, and it could legally likely argued in a court as "ART" rather than porn..... But this should be considered on a case by case basis, by reasonable individuals not militants or freedom hippies.... lol... The reality is, AND THE TEENS NEED TO LEARN THIS PART, absolutely nothing sent via email, text, or posted on the web, is secure and private.... Someone somewhere that nobody knows can and will get their hands on it and see it.... So if you are showing off your naughty pics, be prepared for someone to see them that you don't want.. and it could be a cop; so think before you do this stuff.....
  • abby 2012/06/18 16:06:33
    abby
    +1
    i dont think its anyone's buisness what i do with my phone
  • Nanjing03 2012/06/18 16:03:17
    Nanjing03
    +1
    Yes. If it is against the law, then it is against the law. How hard is that. Years ago, the big deal was to moon and bare breasts from a moving vehicle. Ultimately, the blue lights, a ticket, a court fine and a little public shame put an end to it. It wasn't deemed a serious felony, but court action woke most people up and they moved on and made better decisions. In the case of texting, the harm could be greater, because the sender of the images will forever lose control of where those images go, and many if not most are underage. Sometimes you have to save these "youngsters" from themselves before they grow up to reget their own actions.
  • lea_bil... Nanjing03 2012/10/15 16:54:33
    lea_billings
    +1
    LOL, mooning and flashing are still alive and well, many on the sex offender registry can attest to that! Sexting is just a modern day version of those acts, only deemed child pornography because it is produced in image form. You don't save a child from "themselves" by taking their entire future away from them. Make the punishment fit the actual crime.
  • Adrian1265 2012/06/18 16:01:53 (edited)
    Adrian1265
    No!!! just no... We do not need politics to tell us what to write in messages. and aren't those supposed to be private???? How will they know?
  • NorikoSungirl 2012/06/18 16:01:16
    NorikoSungirl
    +1
    Teenagers are not children, as much as everyone tries to say they are. They are capable of making judgements and accepting consequences. A teenage girl can make the decision to send a racy picture to someone else, or not. What ever happened to letting people learn from their own mistakes? If teenage sexting is going to be illegal, why not just make it illegal for teenagers to acknowlegde their sexuality? Because that makes just about the same amount of sense.
  • lea_bil... NorikoS... 2012/10/15 16:55:26
    lea_billings
    It seems that is precisely what they are attempting to accomplish, however.

2014/07/26 03:15:29