12-12-12 Concert For Hurricane Sandy Victims review by Capisce: In short THE WHO were the best and Kayne West the worst. What say you?

CAPISCE 2012/12/13 14:19:14
Rolling Stones, The Who, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Kanye West, Chris Martin of Coldplay,Michael Stipe REM, Roger Waters, Alicia Keys, Billy Joel, Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters Nirvana reunion, Paul MCcartney,Eric Clapton and Bon Jovi. Eddie Vedder,
I thought it fitting Springsteen kicked off the concert being so closely identified with the Jersey Shore and Sir Paul was the correct choice to end the show backed by a Nirvana reunion. Too many bands to critique so I will cut to the chase--I thought THE WHO stold the show and KANYE WEST was the worst. Unfortunately for WEST he followed THE WHO making the difference in talent between a great band of great musicians and a guy rapping over recorded music was obvious--can you say Black Eyed Peas(Superbowl)?
THE WHO opened their set, with "Pinball Wizard" and a moving tribute to a fallen friend, Keith Moon. Daltry went on and belted out the "touch me, see me, feel me" refrain, he gave it all he had - and the crowd loved him for it! The Who went on to perform "Baba Oriley (Teenage Wasteland)" (complete with a harmonica solo by Daltrey). Daltrey pulled out all the stops, however, for yet another number: "Love, Reign O'er Me." THE WHO nailed every number.
The Who were powerful and tight and they weaved Sandy into their set, showing pictures of storm devastation on video screens during "Pinball Wizard." Pete Townshend made a quick revision to the lyrics of "Baba O'Riley," changing "teenage wasteland" to "Sandy wasteland.

Alica Keys seemed wrong for the lineup,Bon Jovi sounded good. Eddie Vedder and Rodger Watters were my second favorite of the night. The Stones were good and Jagger has a freaky amount of energy for a guy of any age--that said they only played two songs. Mccartney and Dave Grohl/Nirvana were solid especially for not being accustom to playing together.

What can I say about Kayne West---he was terrible. This is what happens when to take most rappers out of the studio. No talent , no actual musicians on stage, recorded background to songs does not translate on stage. Same thing happened to The Black Eyed Peas during the Superbowl.

Quotes of note:
-"When are you going to learn," comic and New Jersey native Jon Stewart said. "You can throw anything at us – terrorists, hurricanes. You can take away our giant sodas. It doesn't matter. We're coming back stronger every time.

-"This has got to be the largest collection of English musicians ever assembled in Madison Square Garden," Rolling Stones rocker Mick Jagger said. "If it rains in London, you've got to come and help us."

Maybe the greatest concert lineup of all time.

• Windjammer 2012/12/13 15:13:55
    Windjammer
    +12
    The WHO sounded pretty good for some old school rock & rollers.

Mr. Bean wasn't invited. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

• holly go lightly 2012/12/16 21:37:17
    holly go lightly
    only saw the Stones and The Who.the who get my vote for best performance.
  • J.L.Worley 2012/12/14 21:38:57
    J.L.Worley
    +1
    The Who.
  • TerryAgee 2012/12/14 16:36:03
    TerryAgee
    +1
    New Jersey thanks all for their time and generosity. The charity event was more than amazing to behold. So many good vibes. How did Madison Square Garden get it all done? applause comments
  • Kaleokualoha 2012/12/14 03:01:00
    Kaleokualoha
    +2
    I agree about Kanye, but virtually ALL rappers suck! IMHO, the Rolling Stones were the best.
  • CAPISCE Kaleoku... 2012/12/16 23:22:47
    CAPISCE
    +1
    I thought The Who was best . Stones, Clapton,Watters and Vedder also very good. Really everyone was good except Kayne who was terrible
  • George Ganyon 2012/12/14 01:25:56
    George Ganyon
    +1
    I don't get it. If Obama is the Lord and Savior and does such great things why did we need to raise any money? Let Mr. Wonderful fix every thing. We are abunch of dumb asses. Well maybe you are casuse I dont vote for commies. NO V.C.
  • Kaleoku... George ... 2012/12/17 00:15:32
    Kaleokualoha
    My, what an ACTIVE imagination! Nobody (except perhaps a few on the lunatic fringe) believes "Obama is the Lord and Savior," nor is he a "commie." Do you hear voices in your head? Quick - fix your tinfoil hat! Nutjob
  • Marlene Sabba 2012/12/14 00:30:14
    Marlene Sabba
    +11
    The greatest musicians...and Kanye West - in Kim's skirt - babbling for way too long. Tuned to another show to get away from him...and nearly missed Billy Joel!
  • CWOO10 - PWCM 2012/12/13 22:50:51
    CWOO10 - PWCM
    +2
    Couldn't watch it. stuck in China on business. But I wouldn't watch Kanye West if he was the only act left on earth, I would rather be blind and deaf.
  • CAPISCE CWOO10 ... 2012/12/14 12:18:16
    CAPISCE
    China on business? Please elaborate
  • CWOO10 ... CAPISCE 2012/12/15 12:21:40
    CWOO10 - PWCM
    +1
    I'm a Engineer that works for a global corporation. We are in the process of expanding one of our manufacturing plants. I'm in the Shanghai airport getting ready to fly home as I write this.
  • umapathy Krishnamurthy 2012/12/13 21:39:01
  • dan 2012/12/13 20:19:54
    dan
    Didn/t watch dont much care.
  • Tennessee3501 2012/12/13 17:43:21
    Tennessee3501
    +3
    Kanye West is physically exhausted from flying all over the world trying to promote Beyonce's albums and videos at all of Taylor Swift's concerts! LOL !
  • Ur4Dinner 2012/12/13 17:31:07
    Ur4Dinner
    What a great concert for a needy cause.We get to see our musical heroes in a once in a lifetime concert experience doing something different but very beautiful!
    Stipe and Martin doing Losing My Religion was awesome!!!
    The Who is always great to see.Townsend looking like he can't believe he is still doing this.Daltrey give his heart and soul.
    But I kind of felt sorry for them as theirs hearts are in it for the cause but to me they are slowly declining and are but shadows of their former selves.Almost a parody.But I still love 'em to death!Moon on tape was timeless!
    Kanye looked lost,bored,bewildered...he would 've been better off as an announcer or speaker for the cause.To bad the show couldn't have finished with Hey Jude or Give Peace A Chance.Something that those 100 or so people on stage all knew and could join in together singing.All in all a great concert loaded withgreat fun,spirit and reality.
  • cddjmikey 2012/12/13 16:42:28
    cddjmikey
    +2
    I was out so I taped it. Thanks for letting me know what to watch and what to skip over. During the Katrina concert West blurted out that President Bush hated black people and that was part of the reason for the poor response. I wonder, did he blurted out about Obama hating white people this time ? The response doesn't seem to be much better if at all. He showed up the first day and told them he was going to make them cut through all the red tape to get them help faster. Then he flew off to Hawaii !
  • Semper Fi 2012/12/13 16:21:14
    Semper Fi
    +5
    I thought Clapton was the best. Kayne West should have never even been on the venue. He's a third-class entertainer at best and I turned to another channel until he was done..
  • Linnster Semper Fi 2012/12/13 18:35:21 (edited)
    Linnster
    +2
    I wish Clapton had played another song or two - I really like him and Billy Joel was fantastic.
  • CAPISCE Semper Fi 2012/12/14 12:19:34
    CAPISCE
    Clapton was great
  • Windjammer 2012/12/13 15:13:55
    Windjammer
    +12

• CAPISCE Windjammer 2012/12/13 15:16:28
    CAPISCE
    +2
    Who were amazing
  • Windjammer CAPISCE 2012/12/13 15:23:15
    Windjammer
    +2
    Yes, a LOT better than the Stones sound these days.
  • CAPISCE Windjammer 2012/12/13 15:25:35
    CAPISCE
    +2
    Jagger is still full of energy---Maybe he has High-T
  • Windjammer CAPISCE 2012/12/13 15:32:59
    Windjammer
    +1
    Energy yes, but the last clip I heard, they were struggling a little too much.
  • Semper Fi CAPISCE 2012/12/13 16:20:03
    Semper Fi
    +1
    Is that a question? :}
  • KilrQueen 2012/12/13 15:09:30
    KilrQueen
    +2
    Where are all these concerts when a natural disaster strikes anywhere else in the US???? Don't recall seeing any for the floods that devastated many in the Midwest, or any hurricane that has hit Texas...or even for Mississippi that had a direct hit from Katrina. Nope, no concerts for those people. I guess only the East Coast counts and any other disaster isn't as important.
  • Getting... KilrQueen 2012/12/13 15:33:44
    GettingBarried
    I suspect if someone felt inclined to put together supporting concerts for other disasters, you'd probably have gotten significant turnout. Getting irritated over this is misplaced imo.
  • KilrQueen Getting... 2012/12/13 15:51:24
    KilrQueen
    +1
    Who said I was irritated, I just think it's stupid. Why can't they help themselves just like the rest of us have to do?
  • Getting... KilrQueen 2012/12/13 16:47:51
    GettingBarried
    Since you commented at all must generate some emotional irritation no? And, now you call it stupid and presume "they" can't help themselves. I'm sure they are helping themselves and this sort of thing is just to help them in another way.
  • KilrQueen Getting... 2012/12/13 17:01:03
    KilrQueen
    and my point is why do all the big stars jump when the east coast has a disaster but not when the rest of the US has a disaster. I do believe this is a legitimate question.
  • Getting... KilrQueen 2012/12/13 19:22:19
    GettingBarried
    Fair enough.
    I think stars are fairly easy to get to do something like this since their drive is probably positive exposure. It costs them nothing and makes them look good doing what they live for. In the end, someone asked them and organized it. I don't know why it didn't happen for other disasters. I'm having some difficulty with the idea that simply because it's the east coast or NYC, everyone feels some extra incentive. You could be right.
  • KilrQueen Getting... 2012/12/13 22:49:38
    KilrQueen
    Just seems odd to me. I am putting Sandy in the same category as Katrina...the storm that never dies.
  • Gloria 2012/12/13 15:02:57
    Gloria
    +1
    Paul was the best. He made me cry when he brought the firemen on stage. It was wonderful to see. Alicia Keys was so great I kept asking, "How do you do that?" Billy Joel can do no wrong!
  • CAPISCE Gloria 2012/12/13 15:07:57
    CAPISCE
    +3
    alica Keys nearly put me to sleep
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/12/13 15:01:27
  • Thane36425 2012/12/13 14:38:28
    Thane36425
    +3
    Didn't bother to watch. Usually in these things most of the money goes to the production effort, appearance payments, payments to the organizers, etc. and little goes to the people in in question.
  • Linnster Thane36425 2012/12/13 18:38:37
    Linnster
    Not this time. The sponsors picked up all the costs and all money collected will go to the relief fund.
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2012/12/13 14:37:32
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +3
    How did he even get in the line up? Perhaps just to give everyone a bathroom break. I thought the Who was great but Billy Joel really still has it!
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/12/13 14:37:22
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I don't like any of them except, maybe, Bon Jovi.

2014/08/27 07:32:55