Your Friends Been Bitten By A Poisonous Snake, Do you suck the Poison Out?

Deborah 2011/04/29 02:32:19
Related Topics: Friends, Water, Photos
Nope it's been real.
Yes Of Course I would

• the_old_coach 2011/05/06 17:20:39
    Nope it's been real.
    the_old_coach
    +5
    Absolutely not, and that is a FICTITIOUS SOLUTION.

Use a snakebite kit or get help immediately but never suck the poison out of a bite or you'll be sick, too.

fictitious solution snakebite kit immediately suck poison bite sick snakebite kit

• gidianedwards97 2013/07/15 04:32:54
    Nope it's been real.
    gidianedwards97
    +1
    let me call the ambulance and keep calm
  • BIGNEVERMO 2013/05/26 18:15:46 (edited)
    BIGNEVERMO
    +1
    Nope apply a compression bandage if you have one...sucking it out doesnt work from what I have read. Maybe not the best advice if medical treatment is close by:

"While waiting for medical help:

Move the person beyond striking distance of the snake.
    Have the person lie down with wound below the heart.
    Keep the person still to keep venom from spreading.
    Cover the wound with loose, sterile bandage.
    Do not:

Cut a bite wound
    Attempt to suck out venom
    Apply tourniquet, ice, or water
    Give the person alcohol or caffeinated drinks
    3. Follow Up

If you treat the bite at home:

Contact a health care provider. The person may need a tetanus shot. Tetanus boosters should be given every 10 years.
    At the hospital, treatment will depend on the type of snake.

If the snake was venomous, the person will be given anti-venom treatment.
    A tetanus shot may be given, depending on date of last injection."
    source: webMD

and from:http://www.medicinenet.c...
    "What is appropriate first aid for poisonous snake bites?

If someone is bitten by a poisonous snake, the bitten area should be immobilized and the victim transported to a hospital as quickly as possible. The bitten area should be washed with soap and water. A wide constriction bandage (tourniquet) may be applied two to four inches upstream of the bitten area (if on an extr...

"While waiting for medical help:

Do not:

Cut a bite wound
    Attempt to suck out venom
    Apply tourniquet, ice, or water
    3. Follow Up

If you treat the bite at home:

source: webMD

and from:http://www.medicinenet.c...

If someone is bitten by a poisonous snake, the bitten area should be immobilized and the victim transported to a hospital as quickly as possible. The bitten area should be washed with soap and water. A wide constriction bandage (tourniquet) may be applied two to four inches upstream of the bitten area (if on an extremity) so long as the pressure is not too tight (one or two fingers should be able to slide under the band). Overly tight tourniquets should never be used as these can block arterial blood flow to the affected area and worsen tissue damage.

Incising (cutting) and suctioning the bite area has not been shown to be beneficial, but a venom extractor (found in commercial snake bite kits) may be helpful if it is applied to the area within five minutes of the bite and left in place for 30 minutes. A 2004 study of mock venom extraction using a suction device, however, questioned the validity of venom extractors and suggested that their use is unlikely to be effective.

Ice or cooling packs should never be applied to the area as these may result in greater harm, and incisions of the bitten area are also potentially harmful and have no benefit.
  • Angus 2013/05/26 17:14:56
    Nope it's been real.
    Angus
    +1
    Worse thing you can do. PERIOD

Cleanse the wound, but don't flush it with water, and cover it with a clean, dry dressing.
    Apply a splint to reduce movement of the affected area, but keep it loose enough so as not to restrict blood flow. Get the person to a hospital ASAP.

Don't try to capture the snake, but try to remember its color and shape so you can describe it, which will help in getting the correct anit venum.
  • drdos1943 2013/05/26 13:36:06 (edited)
    Nope it's been real.
    drdos1943
    +1
    You should never suck out the venom with your mouth. If you have even a scratch in your gums or cheek, you are going to be in trouble yourself. Either use a snake bite kit (not many carry one around) or a tourniquet, if you can, just above the area where your friend has been bitten.... and get to a hospital as soon as possible. Just about all hospitals have anti-venom for the two major kinds of snake venom, which are pit viper and cobra.

You must make sure that you know what kind of snake bit your friend. In the U.S. we have very few poisonous snakes... rattle snake, copper head, water moccasin=pit viper venom.... coral snake=cobra venom ... and know the difference between a harmless banded king snake and a coral snake.
  • hasher 2013/05/26 11:21:01
    Nope it's been real.
    hasher
    +1
    that is an outdated solution that does not work best thing to do is keep the victim calm and apply a pressure bandage to the area. there is an excellent post below on what to do so i need not comment anymore.
  • hasher hasher 2013/05/26 11:23:21
  • cmdrbnd007 2013/05/26 08:25:37
    Nope it's been real.
    cmdrbnd007
    +1
    They discourage that anymore.
  • Michael Hertel 2013/05/26 06:00:34
    Nope it's been real.
    Michael Hertel
    +3
    Instead carefully note the type of snake and kill and bring it along to the emergency room if possible. most antivenom only works if you know the type of snake.
    Help keep the person who has been bitten calm and do not let them exert themselves if possible. Call for help from your location if possible.
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2013/05/26 05:11:14
    Nope it's been real.
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +2
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlin...
    What not to do.
    Do NOT allow the person to become over-exerted. If necessary, carry the person to safety.
    Do NOT apply a tourniquet.
    Do NOT apply cold compresses to a snake bite.
    Do NOT cut into a snake bite with a knife or razor.
    Do NOT try to suck out the venom by mouth.
    Do NOT give the person stimulants or pain medications unless a doctor tells you to do so.
    Do NOT give the person anything by mouth.
    Do NOT raise the site of the bite above the level of the person's heart.
    What to do.
    1. Keep the person calm, reassuring them that bites can be effectively treated in an emergency room. Restrict movement, and keep the affected area below heart level to reduce the flow of venom.
    2. If you have a pump suction device (such as that made by Sawyer), follow the manufacturer's directions.
    3. Remove any rings or constricting items because the affected area may swell. Create a loose splint to help restrict movement of the area.
    4. If the area of the bite begins to swell and change color, the snake was probably poisonous.
    5. Monitor the person's vital signs -- temperature, pulse, rate of breathing, and blood pressure -- if possible. If there are signs of shock (such as paleness), lay the person flat, raise the feet about a fo...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlin...
    What not to do.
    Do NOT apply a tourniquet.
    What to do.
    5. Monitor the person's vital signs -- temperature, pulse, rate of breathing, and blood pressure -- if possible. If there are signs of shock (such as paleness), lay the person flat, raise the feet about a foot, and cover the person with a blanket.
    6. Get medical help right away.
    7. Bring in the dead snake only if this can be done safely. Do not waste time hunting for the snake, and do not risk another bite if it is not easy to kill the snake. Be careful of the head when transporting it -- a snake can actually bite for several hours after it's dead (from a reflex).
  • Tim 2013/05/26 04:47:26
    Nope it's been real.
    Tim
    +1
    I have too many cavities. I would use my belt as a tourniquet to stop the poisonous blood moving through his body and get help as soon as possible. That's the recommended way these days. Wound sucking is a big no no because of the danger it can represent to the sucker; and if both are affected by the poison, who's going to get help?
  • U-Dog 2013/05/26 04:23:40
    Yes Of Course I would
    U-Dog
    +1
    Yes, that is definitely the most appropriate time to massage and pump the localized area and suck and pump and suck and pump and most definitely spit and do not swallow.
  • jgh57 2013/05/26 04:09:20
    Nope it's been real.
    jgh57
    +1
    No. I would keep the person calm, put a constricting band above the bite and take them to the ER.
  • Sheery 2013/05/25 23:42:19
    Sheery
    +2
    Use a snake bit kit and hussle to the emergency room for help.
  • Shanea 2011/05/19 20:52:49
    Shanea
    +2
    idk it depds on how much I actually like that friend
  • Patric 2011/05/18 11:57:06
    Patric
    +1
    ok guy take a leak and snake bite on his man tool

friend goes to doctor and doctor tells friend to suck out the poison..

friend comes back and tells the guy with the snake bite... YOU GONNA DIE DUDE... :}
  • Nathanael 2011/05/17 17:04:48
    Yes Of Course I would
    Nathanael
    +1
    if its my ONLY solution.
  • Myrle Hulme 2011/05/16 10:06:10
    Yes Of Course I would
    Myrle Hulme
    +1
    But there are other things you must do first
  • dracorexXP 2011/05/16 02:39:19
    Nope it's been real.
    dracorexXP
    +1
    It won't help. A hospital trip is the only solution.
  • carrotcat 2011/05/15 03:49:57
    Nope it's been real.
    carrotcat
    +1
    You're supposed to put ice and send them to the hospital
  • Kayla 2011/05/14 20:29:21
    Yes Of Course I would
    Kayla
    +1
    And they'd have to slap swear not to tell anyone about it.... I'm saving their life, but it's still embarrassing. Though I love my friends <3
  • Dwight 2011/05/14 19:40:05
    Dwight
    +1
    Huhhh. Depends on where they got bit, and how much I like them.
  • crewzer1 2011/05/14 18:54:16
    Yes Of Course I would
    crewzer1
    +1
    yes otherwise you are not a friend
  • Miko 2011/05/14 17:01:36
    Miko
    +1
    Yea, i'll do that for my dear friends
  • Casy 2011/05/14 16:32:12 (edited)
    Nope it's been real.
    Casy
    +4
    No never do that! At one time they used to say that, but now No! You well also get the poison if you do.Then there well be 2 of you with the poison..Just get them to the hospital right away.
    tha poison hopital do not suck poison from a snake bite
  • Scooter 2011/05/14 16:30:05
    Scooter
    +2
    I would use a suction device from a snake bite kit.
  • retrograve 2011/05/14 16:03:05
    Nope it's been real.
    retrograve
    +1
    I'm not friends with anyone enough to put my mouth on them. Call 911 and take you to the hospital. But before that you're just S.O.L.
  • i<3conanthebarbarian 2011/05/14 13:37:15
    Nope it's been real.
    i<3conanthebarbarian
    +1
    idk how to do that without endangering myself
  • Leo 2011/05/14 13:20:11
    Leo
    +1
    I guess. I would hope it wouldn't be on his butt.
  • advskinwisdom 2011/05/14 10:41:12
    Yes Of Course I would
    advskinwisdom
    +1
    Of course, how else could it be?
  • Feisty Sin 2011/05/14 03:16:05
    Feisty Sin
    +2
    i knew this guy who got bite grabbed the snake and threw it into a bag & then went to the hospital
  • Gerard ... Feisty Sin 2011/05/14 05:09:49
    Gerard Martell <3
    +3
    thats what i would do... lol
    its the best way for them to find out what got you ^_^
  • yaoifan23 2011/05/12 20:23:21
    Nope it's been real.
    yaoifan23
    +2
    sorry bro bro im not the one bro bro cry
  • Alex Oger 2011/05/12 19:57:38
    Yes Of Course I would
    Alex Oger
    +1
    what kind of a friend would i be ?
  • scales 2011/05/09 05:28:31
    scales
    +1
    I think you should just tie off the limb if possible. I think a little hicky may help some.
  • PBUTTERBOY77 2011/05/08 03:19:06
    PBUTTERBOY77
    +2
    Oh Please God bring back the boy scouts.
  • sweetgreatmom 2011/05/08 00:50:58
    Nope it's been real.
    sweetgreatmom
    +1
    I would not have the nerve.
  • karivampire21 2011/05/07 19:25:34
    Yes Of Course I would
    karivampire21
    +1
    i would if it would save them no question about it! i luv my friends as if they are my very own family! save luv friends family i luv my friends
  • Christopher Dresbach 2011/05/07 18:02:30
    Christopher Dresbach
    +1
    I would try praying first for more than one reason. :-D
  • sharellie 2011/05/07 16:26:16
    Yes Of Course I would
    sharellie
    +1
    I would at least try.
  • Sheena Bay 2011/05/07 16:20:32
    Yes Of Course I would
    Sheena Bay
    +1
    Of course! Id do anything for my friends! Even yell at their sister in a busy parking lot with everybody watching us :) (it really happened)

2014/11/28 18:11:01