Young People Having More Unprotected Sex, Know Less About Contraception: Who Is to Blame?

In alarming news for parents everywhere, young people around the world are having more unprotected sex, according to a new survey.

The "Clueless or Clued Up: Your Right to be informed about contraception" study reports that the number of young people having unsafe sex with a new partner increased by 39 percent in the USA, 19 percent in Britain and 111 percent in France in the last three years, according to Reuters.

The survey questioned more than 6,000 young people from 26 countries.

"No matter where you are in the world, barriers exist which prevent teenagers from receiving trustworthy information about sex and contraception, which is probably why myths and misconceptions remain so widespread even today," Denise Keller, a member of the World Contraception Day task force, said in a statement with the results of the study.

World Contraception Day, by the way, is today.

The survey also found that young people today know less rather than more about contraception (which seems bizarre in the age of the Internet, etc.).

"When young people have access to contraceptive information and services, they can make choices that affect every aspect of their lives which is why it's so important that accurate and unbiased information is easily available for young people to obtain," Keller said.

Many of the young people who took the poll also said that they felt too embarrassed to ask a healthcare professional for contraception.

Who do you think is to blame for the rise in unprotected sex among young people?

• Daryl 2011/09/26 21:45:19
    Parents
    Daryl
    +25
    How many years have we been teaching condoms in the school systems?

Parents need to be parents.

Children should not be having sex.

• Alley Cat xcheshi... 2011/09/28 17:26:30
    Alley Cat
    here we go again..the bible
  • xcheshi... Alley Cat 2011/09/28 18:08:24
    xcheshirecat
    am I the one who bring it in the conversation?
  • Alley Cat xcheshi... 2011/09/28 18:17:57
    Alley Cat
    +1
    Apologies dear I responded to the wrong person
  • onabeach xcheshi... 2011/09/28 16:58:03
    onabeach
    If religious parents are the problem, why are abortion rates highest in countries like Belarus, Estonia, and the Russian Federation, all of which were ruled by communists that strongly discouraged or prohibited religion when parents of today's teens were being brought up?

http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?...
  • xcheshi... onabeach 2011/09/28 18:09:38
    xcheshirecat
    you can't take only 1 rate to judge the sexual situation

My country has a really low religious level, We have BOTH abortion and teenage pregnancy that are lower
  • onabeach xcheshi... 2011/09/29 11:12:04
    onabeach
    You are the one making the claim that religious parents have a negative effect, yet the highest abortion rates are found in countries that strongly discouraged religion. Irreligion in Canada is a fraction of what it is in countries like Estonia, so your exception doesn't offer any evidence to support your assertion

• xcheshi... onabeach 2011/09/29 13:30:30
    xcheshirecat
    abortion rate is irrelevant. STDs and pregnancy rates is the important statistic

Plus, even if it was, beating your daughter if she has sex might drop the teen sex rate, but teens have the right to have sex
  • onabeach xcheshi... 2011/09/29 16:28:38
    onabeach
    "...but teens have the right to have sex"

that is a value judgement, not an empirical fact (assuming they are under 18). Sex at younger ages is associated with many changes in outcomes and none of them good. Higher likelihood of STDs (of course), but also dropping out of school, depression, suicide attempts, less likely to go to college, lower lifetime earnings, increased likelihood of certain cancers, etc.

What if I don't want to make it more likely my daughter kills herself or gets throat cancer?
    There is a reason kids have less choices than teens, and teens have less choices than adults. Just look at the fatal accident rate for teens compared to adults if you don't understand how many of them have trouble making good choices for themselves.

http://alcoholism.about.com/o...
  • xcheshi... onabeach 2011/09/30 02:48:01
    xcheshirecat
    wtf, you are so making sex a too big deal

Throat cancer ? that'S exactly why there is condoms

You don't drop school because you have sex... geez -___-
  • onabeach xcheshi... 2011/10/03 12:18:45 (edited)
    onabeach
    I didn't come up with these associations. It's not (usually) a big deal for responsible adults. It often is for teens. Research has linked younger sex to these things. Younger people are far less likely to use condoms correctly., and the attitude that's it's no "big deal" is a big part of that problem. Especially with oral sex.

e.g.,:
    "Oral sex now main cause of oral cancer: Who faces biggest risk?"
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-5...
  • xcheshi... onabeach 2011/10/03 21:13:00
    xcheshirecat
    unexperienced people will use things uncorrectly
  • onabeach xcheshi... 2011/10/05 17:29:41
    onabeach
    teens will do many dangerous things incorrectly because the part of their brain that evaluates risk isn't well developed, so they don't prioritize delaying pleasure (such as taking the time to correctly use contraception) in order to avoid dangerous consequences like they should. That is why they also are much more likely to use dangerous drugs, speed excessively, etc.
  • xcheshi... onabeach 2011/10/05 18:00:49
    xcheshirecat
    You give too much credits to adults, not enough to teens
  • onabeach xcheshi... 2011/10/05 18:31:30
    onabeach
    What reason do you have to think that I'm giving them the wrong amount of credit? You have not given me any evidence to disagree with the existence of the (well-established) patterns of teenage risk-taking compared to the behavior of adults.

Also, teens together (such as boyfriend and girlfriend) encourage more risk-taking, e.g.: "A 2000 study noted that the presence of passengers affected teen drivers and older drivers differently. That study found that the incidence of motor vehicle crashes in which a 16- or 17-year-old driver was killed increased with the number of passengers. In contrast, death rates for drivers between ages 30 and 59 were lower for drivers with passengers than for those driving alone."
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rp...

Here is a pdf that goes into the brain development of adolescents and the effect it has on risk-taking behavior, specifically in regard to alcohol and drug abuse.
    http://www.mentorfoundation.o...
  • xcheshi... onabeach 2011/10/05 19:29:42
    xcheshirecat
    a single person is surely more mature as she ages. But as a group, everybody mature differently

For example, I had to explain to my ex mother in law how worked a pregnancy test, and why "Pulling out" is a stupid method after she had 2 accidental kids already

This week, I was told by a 42 yo that "I still have to learn and grow" cause I believed his wife had the right to know he was screwing around so she can say yes or no as if she wants to take stds risks

First, being told that not respecting people is what you learn to do by aging is really stupid

Second, the guy told me "hey stupid I wear condoms"
    Yep, a 42 yo thought that condoms are 100% effective -____-

(He was trying to have me, a 22 yo, as his mistress, if you are asking yourself why I'd come across that guy)

And those people reproduce, their kids don't get the proper education. get kids as teenagers, stds, and have stupid kids themselves

Teens get in more car accidents, because when they go at a higher speed, they have less experience to control the car if something happen.

And sometimes, younger people get responsible for things they didn't do. Last winter, I had an accident. It was someone's else fault, I have witnesses, but I didn't hit him (I tried to control the car but failed) but another car. He fleed the scene and di...

And sometimes, younger people get responsible for things they didn't do. Last winter, I had an accident. It was someone's else fault, I have witnesses, but I didn't hit him (I tried to control the car but failed) but another car. He fleed the scene and didn't even paid a dime for it

Maybe he was able to do the dangerous thing he tried. I wasn't and what he tried was illegal. Cost me a car. and my insurances are now higher and for the next 6 years
  • onabeach xcheshi... 2011/10/26 00:30:07
    onabeach
    "For example, I had to explain to my ex mother in law how worked a pregnancy test..."

being older doesn't make a dumb or ignorant person smart, but it does tend to mean people make decisions that consider the long term cost and benefits more, and that are less impulsive (using the information they do have). This is especially important for teens, because it is typically the dumber (low end of average, not mentally impaired) ones who do have sex young to begin with. 70-90 IQ has the lowest amount of virginity in high school, from there on percentage of high school virginity becomes higher continuously as IQs get higher.

http://blogs.discovermagazine...

"Teens get in more car accidents, because when they go at a higher speed they have less experience to control the car if something happen. "
    The higher speed because of poor judgement and risk taking, which also carries over to sexual behavior. You will also find teens drive more dangerously with peers in the car unlike other drivers. It is not rational decision making that causes teens to speed more than adults, despite having less experience driving. That is why if you are at the ski slopes, it is almost always the teens who get on hills far pass their experience levels.

"And sometimes, younger people get responsible for things...

http://blogs.discovermagazine...

"And sometimes, younger people get responsible for things they didn't do."
    true, but this is far less likely with fatal accidents since they get much better investigation and oversight because of the potential for a major (homicide/wrongful death/manslaughter/negligence, etc) trial. Still, teens are significantly more likely to cause fatal accidents.
  • xcheshi... onabeach 2011/10/26 14:30:57 (edited)
    xcheshirecat
    My friend, in her university studies, was told that at teenage, you have to pass through the "needs" to get to "rational"

If you don't do it as a teen (12 to 20, depending on who), you'll never do it

So you're doom to repeat your mistakes over and over. My ex mother in law was one example

As of your QI stuff, at what age was that measure taken ? Being a 42 yo virgin isn't meaning you're more intelligent

Waiting to be 15-16 and protected instead of 12 is

Plus, in high school, intelligent people tend to be bullied and not popular... It's not a choice to be a virgin, in that situation

*********
    I wasn't refering to speed higher than limit, but accidents in roads where the speed is higher

For example, my car accident was on a road at 90 km/h. We were on ice so I was at 70ish. Even if I was lower than a limit, I didn't have the experience to react correctly to his, and he was in fault. but I didn't hit him, so he got away with it...

My father would have had handle it correctly, and maybe at the 90km/h limit

I don't have much experience, only tried to have my permit at 20... So I drive according to my lack of experience. But others drivers, they only use their and the fact that they have a big pick up (majority in my area) to do whatever they want.
    One I was forced to push him in the opposite...

*********

One I was forced to push him in the opposite direction line because else I would have gotten alone and responsible in the snow on the side. I had te priority to get back on my line but he decided he was too important and I shall let him pass even if my line was finishing. Fortunately for him, there was no cars coming from the opposite direction

Even if I do everything legal, it's easy to be account responsible if you don't act correctly to their illegal stuff

And with 4 points allowed on my permit, and 15 on people with 3 years on the road, I can tell you teens don't act too stupid

The worse would be people in their 20s. lack of maturity, not much experience, and a big permit
  • onabeach xcheshi... 2011/10/31 02:51:44
    onabeach
    "As of your QI stuff, at what age was that measure taken ? Being a 42 yo virgin isn't meaning you're more intelligent"

No, it was high school students. The self-control, the abilty to delay gratification, and intelligence are linked, so this was not surprising.
    http://www.webmd.com/brain/ne...

"Plus, in high school, intelligent people tend to be bullied and not popular... It's not a choice to be a virgin, in that situation"

That undoubtedly is part of the explanation for the highest IQs. 132 is as far from average as average is from mentally impaired. But that doesn't explain the lower IQs. Being stupid and in remedial classes (or spending all your time studying to just keep up with the class) isn't cool either. Also regular intelligence and emotional intelligence go hand in hand until you get much higher, so the book-dumb people aren't as likely to be especially socially skilled either. So if that was the main explanation, then kids with average intelligence would have the most sex. But it is in fact the least smart (70-90 IQ) "regular" students who are most likely to have sex.

"I wasn't refering to speed higher than limit,"
    whether you were or not, it is true. But fine, there is a lot of confounding factors with crashes. But how do you explain teens being the least lik...

http://www.webmd.com/brain/ne...

whether you were or not, it is true. But fine, there is a lot of confounding factors with crashes. But how do you explain teens being the least likely group to wear their seat-belts while driving. Putting minor comfort above safety: poor judgement.

"And with 4 points allowed on my permit, and 15 on people with 3 years on the road, I can tell you teens don't act too stupid"
    Maybe teens mature faster in your area. When I was 16-18 plenty of my distant friends would use their cars for street racing against other teens. Two got arrested and lost their licenses (at separate times). Another, person from my class hit a man motorcycle when he was driving a truck while high (testing positive for marijuana and cocaine), killing the man, a father of two. Two of my sister's friends were killed when one was changing her shirt while driving. And its not like I went to a big high school. True, most teens are not this dangerous (I never got in a crash and never got a ticket when I was a teen). But more often than not, of the dangerous drivers who do stupid things for the sake of doing them or showing off are teens.

Also, few of the stupid risk-taking related crashes are caused by females in the first place, so this isn't really talking so much about you as your male compatriots anyway.
  • xcheshi... onabeach 2011/10/31 21:55:03
    xcheshirecat
    Surely a lower QI will have sex faster (and with no protection). But average, at least in my area take no more risks than more intelligent kids

I'm in a area where the teen pregnancy rate is 3 time lower than in USA

But our first time sex age is a bit lower (15 around here) as I remember

And here, we have sex ed courses, at least we had in my time. And alot of ads about contraception. It is paid by insurances, and you can have it at 14 without your parents consent

Here, seatbelt isn't a problem. speed is more. People think they are cool, driving fast. But they are mostly in their 20s, and yes, mostly men
  • Alley Cat xcheshi... 2011/09/28 17:25:49
    Alley Cat
    And in SA we have all the sex ed you can think of. trust me you reach a point where you want to vomit because you've had enough of SEX. Yet, still the opposite happens.
  • xcheshi... Alley Cat 2011/09/28 18:10:33
    xcheshirecat
    education will never hurt at the end
  • The heartless 2011/09/28 14:03:38 (edited)
    Parents
    The heartless
    Children and young teens should not be having sex in the first place. Really it's all the above persuading teens and young children to go off and have unprotected sex. There should be more sex education and that starts with the parents, so they can prevent stds and unwanted preganancy.
  • lucky 2011/09/28 13:59:10
    The media
    lucky
    Blame the young people, most kids are taught about contraceptives, they are taught about self value and abstinence yet they will have unprotected sex any way. Just a sign that our youth are not responsible enough for sex and are still to immature to make adult decisions on sex.
  • jams 2011/09/28 12:53:33
    The media
    jams
    The media exploits the sexuality of youth for advertising and ratings.
    Parents are significantly outgunned.
  • Sare 2011/09/28 12:46:26
    Parents
    Sare
    I would have to say parents along with "abstinence only" sex ed in schools.
  • Alley Cat Sare 2011/09/28 17:29:30
    Alley Cat
    How the hell to you abstain when your hormones are rampant? Please tell me. animal instinct says procreate, spread your seed... It happens to be one of the strongest, if not the strongest, driving forces in all normal human beings.
  • Sare Alley Cat 2011/09/29 00:17:03
    Sare
    I'm against abstinence for the same reasons that you have stated, it's unrealistic.
  • Alley Cat Sare 2011/09/29 03:52:32
    Alley Cat
    You agree then, it's difficult therefore not easy for all OK
  • onabeach Alley Cat 2011/09/29 16:30:47
    onabeach
    the AVERAGE age of first sexual intercourse of countries like Malaysia is 23, so obviously people are able to control themselves better than you think if they are brought up that way.

http://chartsbin.com/view/xxj
  • elijahin24 2011/09/28 12:44:42
    Schools
    elijahin24
    +1
    Why is there no "all of the above" option? There is plenty of blame to go around here. The media glorifies sex. Parents don't teach their kids about it. Public health programs are hamstrung by puritanical zealots who don't want them to talk about s-e-x; and schools are too.
    It is the responsibility of all of these entities to educate the public, to include the youth about all threats to public health and safety. So really, it isn't a question of "who's to blame", but rather "who's responsible for fixing it". And the answer is very clearly: All of the above.
  • Orangedragan 2011/09/28 12:32:46
    Parents
    Orangedragan
    Parents are the ones who continually decry the teaching of effective methods of birth control in public schools, but are the same ones who complain about the lack of quality education. They need to decide whether or not they actually want to teach their kids about BC, and if they don't, they shouldn't be so damn surprised when their kids get STDs or pregnant.
  • bettyboop 2011/09/28 12:09:15
    The media
    bettyboop
    +1
    First let me point out that parents need to teach their children about safe sex. Regardless of the fact that they may not believe in premarital sex..........the truth is, most young people do not wait till marriage. I still blame the media for how many younger people are having sex. You cannot turn on the TV or go to a movie without seeing it. It is no longer taboo. When my 2 sons were growing up, I explained to them, that though I might wish for them to wait, if they felt the need to have sex that it was their responsibility to practice safe sex and not depend on the female. I told them in no uncertain terms that if they thought they were old enough to have sex, they were old enough to take their sexual health in their own hands. We have to educate our children, even if we find it uncomfortable........for their own good!
  • xcheshi... bettyboop 2011/09/28 14:09:25
    xcheshirecat
    the point is that even if the parents believe in abstinence before marriage, it's their OWN belief for THEIR OWN life

Parents have to learn to respect their kids beliefs

It's great that you teach them all sides of it, not only the one you want them to follow :)
  • bettyboop xcheshi... 2011/09/28 17:37:39
  • in vino veritas 2011/09/28 11:45:13
  • Herbtheman 2011/09/28 11:32:51
    Parents
    Herbtheman
    +1
    Parants used to be your parent now they want to be your best friend that way they dont have any responsability.
  • Dewymoon 2011/09/28 11:06:16
    Parents
    Dewymoon
    +1
    The media the schools have no place in treating your child about sex .... What I find is that alot of parents USE TV, Video games, the school system because they just dont want to be bothered with the harder parts of raising children
  • xcheshi... Dewymoon 2011/09/28 14:10:09
    xcheshirecat
    school have to educate kids were parents fail
  • Alley Cat xcheshi... 2011/09/28 17:37:29
    Alley Cat
    As an educator I refuse to do this. It's not my children besides I took this profession to teach and for no other reason. I will not take the responsibility of a useless parent.
  • xcheshi... Alley Cat 2011/09/28 18:11:19
    xcheshirecat
    teaching sexual education is teaching. Don't take the sex ed professor posirion if you don't like it

2014/09/23 22:32:10