Yes Americans we are Number one in the world

aneed2know 2012/07/01 08:37:33
Yes we are Number one, and why
No we are not number one and why
You know lately i have been thinking about American exceptionalism and wondering what exactly are we exceptional at, and where can we stand top change a few things. Now for the conservatives will attack me for not loving America enough and will say "don't like it then leave", i say to you. Kiss my behind and as a United Sates citizens dissent is my right and duty. So with that said, i wonder if many people know what the word exceptionalism really means? So i went to the only place that can actually define the word so that there can be know doubt as to what it means: ex·cep·tion·al·ism (people wordnbspnbspexceptionalism nbspreally onlynbspplacenbspthatnbspcan define doubt meansnbsp exceptionalism nbsp nbspk-swordnbspnbspexceptionalism nbspreally onlynbspplacenbspthatnbspcan define doubt meansnbsp exceptionalism nbsp nbsp k-spwordnbspnbspexceptionalism nbspreally onlynbspplacenbspthatnbspcan define doubt meansnbsp exceptionalism nbsp nbsp k-sshnbspreally onlynbspplacenbspthatnbspcan define doubt meansnbsp exceptionalism nbsp nbsp k-s sh-nnbspreally onlynbspplacenbspthatnbspcan define doubt meansnbsp exceptionalism nbsp nbsp k-s sh-lnbspreally onlynbspplacenbspthatnbspcan define doubt meansnbsp exceptionalism nbsp nbsp k-s shznbspreally onlynbspplacenbspthatnbspcan define doubt meansnbsp exceptionalism nbsp nbsp k-s shnbspreally onlynbspplacenbspthatnbspcan define doubt meansnbsp exceptionalism nbsp nbsp k-s shm)
n.1. The condition of being exceptional or unique.
2. The theory or belief that something, especially a nation, does not conform to a pattern or norm

So here we have it, now we are all on equal footing, now to see what exactly are we number one at, here is just a short list of what i came up with.

#1 America has the highest incarceration rate and the largest total prison population in the entire world by a good margin.

#2 There are more car thefts in the United States than anywhere else in the world by far.

#3 Of all the major industrialized nations, America is the most obese. Mexico is #2.

#4 The average American drinks more than 600 sodas a year - the most in the world.

#5 U.S. corporations sell more fast food and more soda than anyone else in the world by a wide margin.

#6 Nobody watches more television per week (28 hours) than Americans do. Although to be honest, people living in the UK are tied with us.

#7 The United States leads the world in credit card fraud.

#8 The United States has the highest percentage of one person households on the entire planet.

#9 The United States has the highest divorce rate in the world by a good margin.

#10 The United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the world by far.

#11 There are more school shootings in America than anywhere else in the world.

#12 The United States has the highest child abuse death rate in the world.

#13 There are more "deaths by reptile" in America than anywhere else in the world.

#14 The United States has the most lawyers per capita in the entire world.

#15 The United States produces more pornography than any other nation in the world.

#16 Americans take more prescription drugs than anyone else in the world.

#17 More is spent on prescription drug advertising in America than anywhere else in the world.

#18 The percentage of women taking antidepressants in America is higher than in any other country in the world.

#19 More people have been diagnosed with mental disorders in America than anywhere else on earth.

#20 The United States has the highest rate of illegal drug use on the entire globe.

#21 There is more credit card debt in America than anywhere else in the world.

#22 There is more mortgage debt in America than anywhere else in the world.

#23 There is more student loan debt in America than anywhere else in the world.

#24 The United States spends more money on government schools than any other nation on earth does.

#25 U.S. citizens spend more time in school than anyone else in the world. So why are so many of us dumb as a rock?

#26 Nobody in the world gets more plastic surgery done than Americans do.

#27 The United States leads the world in eating disorder deaths.

#28 According to nationmaster.com, the United States has the most total reported crimes in the world by far.

#29 Nobody has more airport security thugs groping women and children than America does.

#30 The United States spends much more on health care as a percentage of GDP than any other nation on the face of the earth.

#31 The United States has the most complicated tax system on the entire planet.

#32 The United States has the most laws on the entire planet.

#33 The United States spends more on the military than the next 12 nations combined, and yet the Obama administration is considering plans to unilaterally slash the size of the U.S. nuclear arsenal by up to 80 percent.

#34 The United States has the most foreign military bases in the world by far.

#35 The United States exports more arms to other countries than anyone else in the world.

#36 Americans spend more time sitting in traffic than anyone else in the world.

#37 Americans spend more money on elections than anyone else does in the world by a very wide margin.

#38 Every single year, the United States has the largest trade deficit in the world by far.

#39 The U.S. government wastes more money than any other government on earth does.

#40 The United States has accumulated the biggest mountain of government debt in the history of the world.

So after reading the list can we still say we are number one or more exceptional than other countries?

Now there are more, but i wanted to use something that all economist and political scientist and historians would agree on, that we use to judge a Nations economic factors on, wealth on and social issues on.

If you decide to answer on this question please, no disrespect or insults thrown out, yes i know i am a bomb thrower also, but if you refrain i will refrain and give comments, not just answers.

Read More: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/exceptionalism

• Q 2012/07/01 17:33:27
    Yes we are Number one, and why
    Q
    +11
    Yes we are indeed the most arrogant nation in the world despite being the wealthiest nation and the fact that we pay the most for our healthcare yet our global ranking of standards of care comes in at #32 , that and we are way behind concerning our children's academic achievments in math, science, etc etc etc. Hell I doubt that many of our current High school students can even spell American Exceptionalism without spell check.

Don't get me wrong I love this country and we are still the envy of the world in many many ways. But with the all cons constantly going on about American Exceptionalism we are perceived by millions of people all over the world as arrogant pricks. american Exceptionalism  political cartoons cons constantly american exceptionalism perceived millions people world arrogant pricks

• Roy 2012/07/24 00:41:59
    Yes we are Number one, and why
    Roy
    +1
    OF COURSE!!! The United States has the largest economy in the world. The United States also has the most powerful military on the entire planet. The United States has produced most of the greatest movies that the world has ever seen. But the United States is also number one in a lot of categories that are not go great. If we ever want to turn this country around, we need to be very honest with ourselves. We need to take a long, hard look in the mirror and realize that it is not a good thing that we are number one in divorce, drug addiction, debt, obesity, car thefts, murders and total crimes. We have become a slothful, greedy, decadent nation that is exhibiting signs of advanced decay. Until we understand just how bad our problems really are, we won't be able to come up with the solutions that we need.

#1 The United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world and the largest total prison population on the entire globe.

#2 According to NationMaster.com, the United States has the highest percentage of obese people in the world.

#3 The United States has the highest divorce rate on the globe by a wide margin.

#4 The United States is tied with the U.K. for the most hours of television watched per person each week.

#5 The United States has the highest rate of ...

#5 The United States has the highest rate of illegal drug use on the entire planet.

#6 There are more car thefts in the United States each year than anywhere else in the world by far.

#7 There are more reported rapes in the United States each year than anywhere else in the world.

#8 There are more reported murders in the United States each year than anywhere else in the world.

#9 There are more total crimes in the United States each year than anywhere else in the world.

#10 The United States also has more police officers than anywhere else in the world.

#11 The United States spends much more on health care as a percentage of GDP than any other nation on the face of the earth.

#12 The United States has more people on pharmaceutical drugs than any other country on the planet.

#13 The percentage of women taking antidepressants in America is higher than in any other country in the world.

#14 Americans have more student loan debt than anyone else in the world.

#15 More pornography is created in the United States than anywhere else on the entire globe. 89 percent is made in the U.S.A. and only 11 percent is made in the rest of the world.

#16 The United States has the largest trade deficit in the world every single year. Between December 2000 and December 2010, the United States ran a total trade deficit of 6.1 trillion dollars with the rest of the world, and the U.S. has had a negative trade balance every single year since 1976.

#17 The United States spends 7 times more on the military than any other nation on the planet does. In fact, U.S. military spending is greater than the military spending of China, Russia, Japan, India, and the rest of NATO combined.

#18 The United States has far more foreign military bases than any other country does.

#19 The United States has the most complicated tax system in the entire world.

#20 The U.S. has accumulated the biggest national debt that the world has ever seen and it is rapidly getting worse. Right now, U.S. government debt is expanding at a rate of $40,000 per second.

YAAAAAY!!! GO TEAM AMERICA!!!

morons...
  • aneed2know Roy 2012/07/26 06:26:30
    aneed2know
    i am with you.
  • Charles R. Anderson 2012/07/05 14:53:53
    Yes we are Number one, and why
    Charles R. Anderson
    For all the reasons you gave and many more. However, the thing I hold most dearly is that we be #1 in protecting the equal, sovereign individual right to life, liberty, property, the ownership of one's own body, mind, and labor, and the pursuit of happiness. We are no longer #1 in that. The many good things that we are #1 at are a legacy of when we were #1 in our respect for individual rights. Unfortunately, we are sinking fast, with ObamaCare, Dodd-Frank, Sarbanes-Oxley, the many new EPA rulings, more FDA and USDA restrictions, SEC interference with business, NRLB interfering with job creation in Right to Work states, and increasing federal restrictions on freedom of speech and association.
  • aneed2know Charles... 2012/07/10 05:20:18
    aneed2know
    again nothing but crap you just regurgitated on my poll, thanks for playing.
  • Charles... aneed2know 2012/07/26 06:20:11
    Charles R. Anderson
    I do get your game, but I am the thinking opposition.
  • Patric 2012/07/02 15:51:23
    Yes we are Number one, and why
    Patric
    1. Rule of law ( well , most of the time )
    2. Free enterprise
    3. Lack of Gov't intervention into our daily / personal life ( well, for the most part )
    4. Our Constitution , and those that are protecting it.
  • aneed2know Patric 2012/07/03 04:15:37
    aneed2know
    +1
    another person who does not get it.
  • Patric aneed2know 2012/07/03 16:49:24
    Patric
    hmmm,, interesting response ..

and just what , in you mind / opinion , makes America the greatest in the world ?
  • aneed2know Patric 2012/07/04 04:05:19
    aneed2know
    Well first of all, i dont think we are the greatest in the world, we are the greatest for Americans, but i am sure British people think their country is the greatest in the world also. So to answer part of your question, its the greatest in the world for me, and you.

Now what do i think what makes us great, because this is my country, and love my country even thought at times my country showed disdain for my mother, farther, uncle, aunts,and cousins.

And i will gladly lay down my life for MY COUNTRY, not for Israel, or in the name of oil, or any other thing, but for MY Country.
  • Patric aneed2know 2012/07/05 10:04:14
    Patric
    hmm,, interesting post, and written on Independence Day to boot...

now , what part do " I not get " ?
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/07/02 14:21:50
    Yes we are Number one, and why
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    The USA is number 1 -- on my list of countries I like to live in, Brasil e numero dois. There are others I would love to try
  • Elephant Lord 2012/07/02 03:32:41
    No we are not number one and why
    Elephant Lord
    +2
    We aren't #1, and we'll never be #1 unless we acknowledge our problems and fix them.
  • Maleficent 2012/07/02 03:24:00
    No we are not number one and why
    Maleficent
    +1
    if thats the case, we are not number one.
  • Samantha 2012/07/02 00:23:40
    Samantha
    +3
    The U.S. ranks near the top in virtually all the wrong things. Let's me honest with ourselves and admit the "American exceptionalism" concept is based on racism, sexism, religious bigotry and an attempt to commit genocide against the indigenous peoples of the what is now the United States.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/07/01 23:18:00
    Yes we are Number one, and why
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +3
    It would appear we are "exceptional" in ways that would not make me proud. I would say we are exceptional when it comes to vitriol towards those of differing viewpoints, especially when it comes to denigrating those who have progressive ideas about what is good for our country & its citizens. I could go on & on but I'll leave it here for now. I'm sure I'll incur the wrath of many for having spoken these limited truths.
  • Marie-Jacqueline 2012/07/01 20:42:06
    No we are not number one and why
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +4
    That is the strange thing about thinking you are exceptional.
    You believe in ideas about yourself of excelllance, but at the same time you are blind for those things you excel lin a negative way.
    "we are the best-SH's" excell in the last.

When I'm reading such post of bosting about the US exceptionality a lot of those points you mention in your post come to mind.
    The strange thing is that when I confront them with facts, statistics of reliable sources the deny it saying:
    The figures aren't right. the US does a better job than other countries upholding a high standard of collecting figures.
    If they think I'm American I should leave the country.
    If the have grasped that I'm Dutch than I should mind my own buisness.
    Sometimes they mistake Dutch for Danish!
    That if Americans did not win the war we would speak German.
    The last one is the must hurtfull and the biggest misinterpreation of WWII history.

I'm Dutch, so from The Netherlands and when I read here US-SH's proclaiming to be the best, the most free, the most excellent country is does irritate me very much.
    In my point of view this we are nr. 1 believe is very arrogant towards other countries

This AE-believe does the US more harm then good.
    It has coused a lot of international problems in the past, it is also the main cou...

It has coused a lot of international problems in the past, it is also the main couse of the international negative reactions the US gets internationally.

Futhermore countries have to abide to international agreed treaties and laws.
    Proclaiming yourself as exceptional does place yourself outside the law that all have to abide to.

Countries in the world excell in some things, is average on others, below acceptable levels in others. The perecentace of those three can diffeer for every country.

It is nice if you do good on curtain points but it doesn't give anybody the right to call themselves the best.
    It is better to put your energy in improving the average and below standard points.

American Exceptionalims
  • oldlady 2012/07/01 19:53:24
    No we are not number one and why
    oldlady
    +2
    We have become the NATION of buying millions of cheap goods from China. We live in a dream of what once existed, a fairy tale of grandeur, a reality of power through sticking our noses in other lands and killing millions of innocent people for oil. We never were number one in anything except destruction of other countries and our own. Live with it!
  • Starman 2012/07/01 19:27:08
    No we are not number one and why
    Starman
    +1
    Sadly we are not, but WE CAN BE
  • HipJipC 2012/07/01 19:00:40
    No we are not number one and why
    HipJipC
    +2
    Wow, there are some really good answers here from all sides and very good points. I'm just going to go through and thumbs up ... a lot, lol!
  • Q 2012/07/01 17:33:27
    Yes we are Number one, and why
    Q
    +11

• oldlady Q 2012/07/01 19:54:41
    oldlady
    +3
    Nailed it!
  • Q oldlady 2012/07/01 20:10:18
    Q
    +2
    Thanks.
     were number one gif
  • oldlady Q 2012/07/01 21:58:40
    oldlady
    +1
    E Gads! Do you have any idea how hard that is to look at without throwing up LOL!
  • Q oldlady 2012/07/01 22:21:31
    Q
    +2
    LOL, just a guess but I bet that if you'd go smoke a big fatty and come back and check it out again you'd be mesmerized by it:)

Sorry, but because I know you share my obsession with oddball gif's I couldn't resist posting it, that and I love Ron frigging Swanson the uber-Libertarian on Parks and Recreation.
  • oldlady Q 2012/07/01 22:52:11
  • Q oldlady 2012/07/01 23:07:40
    Q
    +2
    Alright duly noted, I hope you have a great Sunday evening OL, see ya!
  • oldlady Q 2012/07/01 23:23:29
    oldlady
    +2
    You too hon ;)
  • Marie-J... Q 2012/07/01 20:45:08
  • Shadow13 2012/07/01 17:06:15
    No we are not number one and why
    Shadow13
    +4
    Being number one depends upon how one ranks the values they hold. If you rank power and wealth then yes, we are the richest nation and have the most effective military. However the greatness of nations will not be remembered for their power or wealth but of the compassion it shows to the weakest. Sadly, America needs to discover its moral compass.

I love my homeland and want it to become a wonderful place. However, I want it to become a moral and just nation. I do not want the luxuries we enjoy to be stolen from another, to be built on the backs of slaves, or built upon a foundation of bones. I believe it and others have the capacity to become better and I hope for them to discover that path to the righteous state of being.
  • aherbert 2012/07/01 16:55:07
    aherbert
    +4
    America IS number one ... I love my country it is the ignorant citizens i.e. RWNJ I don't trust and a Government were some politicians can be brought concerns me. Other than that … I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else in the world. America have the brightest minds and we are the most innovative country but we are the land of haters … Americans are too busy hating on one another to be able to come together as one … I am hopeful that we will become united and conquer the world … god bless america
  • ALofRI aherbert 2012/07/01 18:56:39
    ALofRI
    +3
    I was with you until that "conquer the world." remark. What gives us the right?? Who in the world would want U.S. running them after we've screwed up our country so much....and wait and see how bad it gets if Mittens wins the election! The Kochs, Addelson, Rove, etc. will pull his strings and we may even TRY to take over! Our No.1 days will be gone for good!
  • aherbert ALofRI 2012/07/01 19:29:49
    aherbert
    +2
    conquer may went too far ... I was in the moment - I digress ... I do think if Americans unite on the things we agree upon we will be a number one nation ... God forbid Mittens winning ; we would be in a world of trouble. Yes Americans need to concentrate on America ... I welcome investing in our children’s education, research and development, fixing our infrastructure, cleaning our water supply and mastering alternative energy and universal healthcare ... Yeah maybe I am reaching again but honestly ... I think it could happen. Perhaps I am too passionate? too passionate
  • aneed2know aherbert 2012/07/02 04:06:54
    aneed2know
    +1
    "conquer" i think the thought process of conquer is what got us into these number one rankings?
  • Shadow13 aherbert 2012/07/02 04:29:02
    Shadow13
    +3
    Perhaps you meant to "overcome the challenges we as a nation face."
  • Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum 2012/07/01 16:39:35
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +5
    It is fine to be proud of our country and believe we are the best place to live. But I strongly disagree with the view that America can play by her own set of rules, while expecting other countries to abide by international law. This kind of exceptionalism, brought to us by the neoconservative movement, is extremely dangerous, and at some point nationalism slips into ultranationalism and fascism. This exceptionalism is also prevalent in Israel, especially on the right, but in this case their exceptionalism is based on religious dogma and ethnic bigotry.
  • DarkStorm1976 2012/07/01 15:55:01 (edited)
    DarkStorm1976
    +7
    Nobody has the right to claim their the number one of the world unless they have:

1. Ended world poverty

2. Created a harmonic world, where everyone gets on and wars are a distant memory
  • Red_Horse DarkSto... 2012/07/01 16:02:03
  • DarkSto... Red_Horse 2012/07/01 16:04:20
    DarkStorm1976
    +2
    That would be this one then? Welsh Dragon
  • Red_Horse DarkSto... 2012/07/01 16:08:47 (edited)
  • DarkSto... Red_Horse 2012/07/01 16:10:36 (edited)
    DarkStorm1976
    +2
    The Dragon is my Chinese birth sign, I'm also a Leo, another fire sign, double whammy eh? Good job I can't breath fire lol!
    That Dragon you can see, is one I painstakingly painted by hand. I have a love for Dragons, whether they're based on myth or the dinosaurs, they mean a lot to me :)

2014/10/23 05:06:36