Yellowstone

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/07/27 20:21:20
Yes, I have.
No, no way.
What's really special about being in Yellowstone and watching the Bison or watching a bear and cubs is that there's something timeless and almost eternal about it. You're watching that bear play today and you know that almost one thousand years ago the same thing was going on.

Entering the Park from Montana's gateway towns, you'll find that Yellowstone is a distinct environment. You know when you're there. With over 10,000 thermal features, you can watch as steaming geysers erupt in all their glory—all year long.

With each season in the Park offering a diversity of rewards, witness bison calves as they discover their new surroundings in the springtime. By mid-summer, the Park's flora and fauna sprinkle the landscape with color and movement. Autumn's golden daylight is enhanced by the sound of bugling elk. In winter months, cross-country skiing or a guided snowcoach or snowmobile tour in Yellowstone National Park is unforgettable­—a meshing of steaming hot springs, mudpots, geysers and snow shared with little more than an array of wildlife.

Just what you'd expect from a place where little has changed since it opened over 135 years ago—2.2 million acres of steaming geysers, thundering waterfalls, crystalline lakes, and panoramic vistas.

Yes, I have.
    I've been BLESSED to have the time ..
    to actually visit YELLOWSTONE and enjoy its SIGHTS
    (a few times actually) ..
    from the joy of seeing "Old Faithful" (and the other geysers) ..
    Fly Fishing the streams ..
    (and the water .. oh, my .. the water .. )
    the various fauna/flora ..
    the species within ..
    just stunning indeed ..

(still emotionally moves me tremendously) ..
    Yes, I have.
    +1
    Sadly it is all sitting on a super volcano that is past due for a major eruption.

sadly super volcano major eruption

I just hope it doesn't erupt in my lifetime.
  • Kashee sjalan 2012/08/21 13:52:17
    Kashee
    What is to be, will be. No reason to worry. In actuality we only have the moment of this breath, the rest is speculation.
  • sjalan Kashee 2012/08/21 15:53:35
    True. But ya know even a small eruption, say 20 times the force of Mt St. Helen would be enough to put the entire bread basket of the US our of use for at least 5 years.
  • Kashee sjalan 2012/08/21 16:47:45
    Kashee
    The reality is that when Yellowstone blows, it's not going to be a little eruption. It could change life as we know it. It will eventually happen and nobody knows when. We are not in control of these things.
  • sjalan Kashee 2012/08/21 16:56:44
    +1
    You're quite correct. There are indications that previous major eruptions have occurred at roughly 600000 year intervals. However, some were very small in comparison to the major ones of about the latest one being only 3500 years ago, but even that one was as I mentioned about about 20 times greater than Mt St Helen.
  • Kashee sjalan 2012/08/21 17:20:29
    Kashee
    YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY MONTHLY UPDATE

Issued: Friday, June 1, 2012, 20:33 UTC

During the month of May 2012, the University of Utah reports 30 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone National Park region. The largest was a magnitude 2.1 event on May 24 at 12:47 AM MDT, located about 22 miles southeast of West Thumb, YNP. No earthquake swarms were detected in May.

Yellowstone earthquake activity is at a relatively low background level.

Slow subsidence of the caldera, which began in early 2010, continues. Current deformation patterns at Yellowstone are well within historical norms.

Sources: yellowstonegate.com, volcanoes.usgs.gov
  • sjalan Kashee 2012/08/21 17:36:51
    +1
    No doubt whatever that there is subsidence occurring. However, Yellowstone is a "living breathing creature of the geothermal activity of our planet"

Today it is in a subsidence mode. Tomorrow it could just as easily reverse that action and begin an expansion course.

Never the less we KNOW it is "alive" and will be very active for many 100's of thousands if not millions of years.

It is just something mankind will have to live with but NOT ignore.
  • Jan Haskell 2012/07/27 21:42:28
    Yes, I have.
    Jan Haskell
    +2
    Never tire of seeing Yellowstone. My first visit was when I was only six, and I felt like it was a magical place at every turn.
  • Kashee 2012/07/27 20:26:37
    Kashee
    +2
    I hope to go there next year. I am fascinated with the geology of Yellowstone. I can't imagine what it must feel like to stand in a 60 mile wide caldera.
  • sglmom Kashee 2012/08/21 05:44:04
    +1
    I hope you get your wish .. and actually visit Yellowstone ..
    it is AWE inspiring .. humbling ..
    to be there .. enjoy the beauty of Nature ..
    and know the geology (the caldera is right there below your feet) ..
  • Kashee sglmom 2012/08/21 13:48:08
    Kashee
    +1
    I'm sure I'll find it very moving. I just had to go visit the rocks at Arches again this year. I find it to be a very sacred place. There is a particular grouping of rocks I needed to go inside because it is like being in a cathedral. I sat there for a long time. I probably don't need to explain it to you, I think you understand.
    sand dune arch
  • sglmom Kashee 2012/08/21 15:51:54
    +1
    YES .. I do appreciate for sure ..
    there's something to be said about the Spiritual Nature of being in any of these truly awe-inspiring places ... that lets us mere humans lift our spirits and come out with a far more peace-filled .. relaxed .. and humbled self ..

2014/11/27 11:56:55