Would you like a wild animal as your Pet??

Pree Kulkarni 2012/09/10 16:17:17
Related Topics: Pet, animal, Wild Animal
Yes (Which?)
No Way

• raelene 2012/11/02 03:08:21
    Yes (Which?)
    raelene
    +1
    Hedgehog Hedgehog Hedgehog
    cmon... wook at dat wittle faaccee
  • Jon Barrett 2012/10/18 14:40:11
    Yes (Which?)
    Jon Barrett
    Red tailed hawk.
  • Aaron 2012/10/12 08:05:27
    No Way
    Aaron
    +1
    I'd go to a zoo (in my house it kinda is a zoo) but I wouldn't want to own a wild animal
  • CatPerson 2012/10/04 14:32:27 (edited)
    Yes (Which?)
    CatPerson
    +1
    Siberian tiger white tiger and other big cats.
  • MYSTIC MYSTIQUE 2012/09/11 15:08:21
    Yes (Which?)
    MYSTIC MYSTIQUE
  • Pree Ku... MYSTIC ... 2012/09/11 16:26:10
    Pree Kulkarni
    +1
    its cute
  • xxx 2012/09/11 05:57:31
    Yes (Which?)
    xxx
    +1
    Just something small... like a Serval or Wombat.
  • Splashstorm 2012/09/11 05:00:17 (edited)
    Yes (Which?)
    Splashstorm
    +1
    I will be getting a wolf when I'm older. :) They actually don't cost that much to raise. Much less than raising a child, that's for sure. wolf older cost raise raising child

wolf older cost raise raising child

wolf older cost raise raising child
  • Elbuscus 2012/09/11 03:57:10
    Yes (Which?)
    Elbuscus
    +2
    giraffe
    and train it to be ridden. yes please.
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/09/11 03:25:08
    No Way
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    They are better off wild.
  • Bones 2012/09/10 21:15:59
    Yes (Which?)
    Bones
    +2
    An owl or a wolf c:
  • Splashs... Bones 2012/09/11 05:02:30 (edited)
    Splashstorm
    I want a wolf too! :D
    And get an indian scops owl!
    http://youtu.be/x7D6hV6EJ48
  • Nameless 2012/09/10 20:51:40
    No Way
    Nameless
    +1
    I respect them far too much.
  • Sparkles 2012/09/10 19:38:58
    Yes (Which?)
    Sparkles
    +1
    A white tiger, but I know it would eat me, lol I can dream right :)
  • Splashs... Sparkles 2012/09/11 05:04:33
    Splashstorm
    White tiger breeding is extremely cruel. Please do not support the breeding of these animals.

Across the world, especially in the United States, a massive deception about white tigers and their origin is taking place.

Did you know that there truly is no such thing as a royal white Bengal tiger in captivity?

Did you know that there isn´t even a wild white tiger population, and that no white tiger has even been seen since the 1950s?

Did you know that there isn´t even a conservational value for breeding white tigers, nor that any are able to participate in any Species Survival Plans?

And finally, did you know that white tigers can only exist through rampant inbreeding, which causes heavy deformities, mental disabilities, and birth defects?

Most people don´t know these things. This is mainly because the zoos just don´t want the public to know. White tigers are the animal that everyone wants to see. When sold, they cost much more than a normal orange colored tiger. They are seen as more valuable because the public has naively believed the lies spread by countless zoos around the world.

White tigers are all related to Mohan, a white tiger cub that was captured in India in the 1950s. He was bred to a Siberian tiger (they hoped that the resulting cubs would be bigger due to the Siberian tig...

White tigers are all related to Mohan, a white tiger cub that was captured in India in the 1950s. He was bred to a Siberian tiger (they hoped that the resulting cubs would be bigger due to the Siberian tiger´s greater size) in the hopes of producing more white tigers.

When all the cubs were orange, they were baffled. But, as they soon discovered, by breeding Mohan with his own daughter, some white tigers resulted. The inbreeding turned out to be necessary because the rarity of the gene that causes the white coloration, and because the gene is double recessive. From then on, all white tigers have been a result of such inbreeding.

Since the first breeding occurred between a Bengal and Siberian tiger, all subsequent animals were tiger hybrids. Because they were not pure species, no white tiger or orange tiger from that line will ever be able to be used in Species Survival Programs. Only pure subspecies can be used for that. Therefore, when zoos say they breed white tigers for conservation, they are trying to deceive the public. AZA accredited zoos typically frown upon the practice of breeding white tigers for this very reason.

With inbreeding comes many problems. The neonatal mortality rate for these animals is 80%. That means 80% of these tigers will die of birth defects. All other white tigers will have crossed eyes, whether it shows or not, because the white gene causes the optic nerve to be wired on the wrong side of the brain. The majority that survives suffer from profound defects and problems, such as immune deficiency, scoliosis, cleft palates, mental impairments, deformities, etc. The list could go on. So many of these animals suffer from deformities that it is estimated that only 1 in 30 white tigers will be put on display. The rest are sold off, either to another roadside zoo or placed in the exotic pet trade, or are killed. Zoos have no interest in animals they deem ugly.

This is the abuse that you are supporting every time you pay patronage to a zoo that has white tigers. This means that you must boycott such zoos and spread the word about this despicable practice. Contact any zoos you know of with white tigers and urge them to get their animals fixed. This is something that we can stop! We need to get our voices heard by the places that continue to breed these animals. When they realize the public isn´t falling for their tricks, they´ll realize that they have to stop the abuse in order to earn money.

When the people stop paying, maybe the killing and abuse can stop too.

-AnimalMedia

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    - Mohandas Gandhi

---
    For more detailed information, visit:
    http://www.bigcatrescue.org/c...
    ---
    A special thanks to Big Cat Rescue and Carole Baskin (their founder) for allowing us to use their images. It was a great help and we appreciate it immensely.

Big Cat Rescue´s website:
    http://www.bigcatrescue.org
    Big Cat Rescue´s YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/bigcat...

http://youtu.be/iNhUPeuYk6Y
  • Sparkles Splashs... 2012/09/11 20:19:56
    Sparkles
    I'm not ganna get one if I want one that bad I can get a stuffed animal one at Walmart or something I just ment they are pretty. I wouldn't even take a regular tiger out of the wild that's not fair to them. I didn't know that they white tiger wasn't actually a white tiger anymore. Why can't people let the animal go instead of messin with them?
  • Splashs... Sparkles 2012/09/12 05:16:07
    Splashstorm
    Yeah white tigers are all inbred and full of sickness :(
  • Sparkles Splashs... 2012/09/12 16:03:38
    Sparkles
    +1
    That's sad
  • Pree Ku... Sparkles 2012/09/11 16:25:03
    Pree Kulkarni
    Yeah right u can dream..but ONLY DREAM
  • Q 2012/09/10 18:46:29
    No Way
    Q
    +2
    Absolutely not, they belong in the wild and can be quite dangerous when they mature.
  • Splashs... Q 2012/09/11 05:13:06
    Splashstorm
    +1
    Data has shown that exotic pets are not dangerous. You have literally less than a 1% chance of being attacked by your own pet tiger. Since there are 10,000 tigers as pets in America alone, of course shows like Fatal Attractions could find a few scattered stories here and there (and blow it way out of proportion).
  • Q Splashs... 2012/09/11 05:40:53
    Q
    +1
    With all due respect I have my doubts about that data, perhaps if you could provide me a link to that data I might change my opinion?

Those cute and cuddly baby chimps aren't so adorable after they reach adolescence complete with hormonal changes that makes them potentially very dangerous. Not to mention the big cats basic instincts that they're hardwired with that can emerge if its scared or injured or just following its natural predatory drive like a kitten chasing a ball of yarn.

Obviously there are plenty of responsible wild/exotic pet owners that have no problems whatsoever, but in my limited opinion the risk is always there just under the surface, I guess how big of a risk is debatable?
  • Splashs... Q 2012/09/12 05:18:52 (edited)
    Splashstorm
    Actually yes, I do have data. There is data on chimps there as well (the percentage is also less than 1%) http://www.debate.org/debates...

Scroll down to "Round 2" and you will find it.
  • The Winter Sodahead 2012/09/10 17:51:18
    No Way
    The Winter Sodahead
    +2
    There's a whole passage in Life of Pi that discourages that for pretty sound reasons.
  • Splashs... The Win... 2012/09/11 05:11:05
    Splashstorm
    like what?
  • The Win... Splashs... 2012/09/11 14:27:55
    The Winter Sodahead
    +1
    Like wild animals are wild animals and they'll eventually become dangerous at which point you'll have to leave them out in the wild where they'll probably die.
  • Splashs... The Win... 2012/09/12 05:20:46
    Splashstorm
    Seeing as you have less than a 1% chance of being attacked by your pet tiger, I don't see how your statement holds true.
  • Magical Mushroom 2012/09/10 17:50:44
    Yes (Which?)
    Magical Mushroom
  • Nameless Magical... 2012/09/10 20:53:59
    Nameless
    The dog with me in my avatar is 1/4 wolf. I don't think you quite get how incredibly focused they can be when they want something. My dog is incredibly bonded to me, but I would never, ever suggest that anyone have a wolf as a pet unless they were very experienced...
  • Splashs... Nameless 2012/09/11 05:07:26 (edited)
    Splashstorm
    Real wolfdogs are very very rare. 1 million people in the US claim to own wolfdogs when in reality only 25% of the million really has a dog with any wolf blood at all. And get this: only 5% of the million who claim to own a wolfdog has the right percentage they think they have.
  • Nameless Splashs... 2012/09/11 12:44:09 (edited)
    Nameless
    I know her lines. She is a rare breed and the wolf was part of the founding line. Besides that, she has been genetically tested. In addition to that, when she runs you can see the wolf "perfect stepping" in her gait. Two compliances officers in our area have seen her and absolutely love her and have recognized the wolf in her. I am absolutely certain of her genetics. ; )

Her termperament is very sound, except that she has a high drive to chase... which is the wolf in her. However, her highest drive is to protect me and she has an incredible instinct about her. Everyone adores her, as do I. She has saved my life, literally, six times (as I have mentioned before on SH).

I have to take her to run and do obedience work at least 3 times a week so as to keep her focused on her knowing that I am the boss.

Anyway, I am one of the very few who have a "wolf hybrid." They are incredible but a LOT of work. My dog is now going on six years old and has some health issues due to poor choices in breeding, unfortunately, and the breed will not last, imo. So, her life will not be as long as I would have liked (forever would have been nice)...
  • Splashs... Nameless 2012/09/12 05:25:46
    Splashstorm
    I'm sorry, but there is no such testing for wolf blood in dogs. They do exist but are not for the public (and cost $10,000 when scientists have to use them.) Also, wolfdogs are not protective. The animal in your picture looks very much like a long-haired German shepherd. I can't see the wolf in her. Maybe you can go on the facebook group "Wolfdog Companions" and ask around. Those people there all have wolfdogs. and can give your more info.
  • Nameless Splashs... 2012/09/12 12:40:05 (edited)
    Nameless
    Actually, there are. Stanford University does them. The dog in my pic is a rare breed and is not a long haired GSD. ; ) Oh, and I did not say that wolf dogs are protective. I said they have a high drive. There is an huge difference. Now, that being said, because of the main foundational breed used in creating my dog, she does have a degree of protectiveness. However, that is not what was meant when I said she saved my life. She alerted to six strokes and one seizure... Her alerting allowed my family to get me to the hospital in time for my life to be spared and for me to be able to walk/talk, etc... You make assumptions which you should not make.
  • Duke----The Non Racist, Fun... 2012/09/10 17:49:07
    No Way
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +1
    It would be nice, but I would never take the freedom of a wild animal. I would only be a very slow and cruel death for them.
  • Splashs... Duke---... 2012/09/11 05:10:47
    Splashstorm
    +2
    Most exotic pets were born in captivity.
  • Duke---... Splashs... 2012/09/11 21:19:02
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    Yes, tragic
  • Splashs... Duke---... 2012/09/12 05:26:36
    Splashstorm
    I don't think so. In captivity they have a much better life away from the worries in the wild.
  • davetheslave 2012/09/10 17:34:54
    Yes (Which?)
    davetheslave
  • Pree Ku... davethe... 2012/09/11 16:21:47
    Pree Kulkarni
    +1
    sorry but dino's are not available these days........ ;)
    No Way

2014/08/22 23:36:52