Would you let your kid stay home and go to school online?

Kndrk 2012/07/21 18:19:56
Related Topics: Online, School, Home, Grades, Kid

• NPC 2012/07/21 18:23:53
    NO
    NPC
    +3
    Not a very realistic idea. Much about staged learning is the social experience of meeting a group of similar aged interacting minds and interests.

• Random 2012/07/27 12:12:38 (edited)
    YES
    Random
    +1
    It depends on where you live. In some places in our outback (the countryside) you really have no choice. I live in the city or "big smoke" so I didn't have the option, sadly.
    Universities have online options for the busy people.
  • Null_Shock 2012/07/23 16:08:40
    Only if it helps the grades.
    Null_Shock
    +1
    I select this anser invade they are special needs....because other than that my answer is no. Kids pick up social skills they couldn't learn elsewhere, also a quality education is important.
  • Chancy99: Plague Rat 2012/07/22 01:16:40 (edited)
    NO
    Chancy99: Plague Rat
    +1
    I meant to click yes. Anyways, I want to an online school for my 10-12 years of high school. My home district and school wasn't right for me, I was bullied, I had illness(which was the main reason I switched), they kept putting me in classes I didn't belong in. Switching to an online school was the best decision.

For people who say kids need interaction with other students, most if not all online schools now have virtual class, where a teacher, and students are in a chat where they can talk and type with each other, for about 45minutes, each day, like a regular class. My Online school also had activities during the year including a Junior-Senior Prom, and others where students get together as well a teachers to supervise for field trips, and sometimes just for movie nights and game nights.
  • Queen B 2012/07/21 19:51:17
    NO
    Queen B
    Online schools are a joke.
  • Freeranger 2012/07/21 19:08:44
    NO
    Freeranger
    +2
    I don't think it's healthy, though I think homeschooling isn't a bad alternative. Kids need to mingle with other kids and learn how to play in the same sandbox so to speak. As for public education and the indoctrination they give kids via the social engineers, I don't mind seeing that get shaken up.
  • BritPunk 2012/07/21 19:04:15
    NO
    BritPunk
    +1
    School is more than grades and pure academic learning. It is a part of the socialisation process, mixing with people from other backgrounds and cultures etc.
    I also think children should be given opportunities to travel, a real educational experience that broadens the mind and teaches life lessons they will never forget.
    Thank you to my lovely parents who understood that :-)
  • pdarkow 2012/07/21 18:39:08
    Only if it helps the grades.
    pdarkow
    +1
    Only if I could be there with them and make sure they are doing there school work and not just being online to anything they want.
  • Firefly 2012/07/21 18:33:27 (edited)
    YES
    Firefly
    +2
    Some schools, teachers, and curriculum suck,

Not to mention peer pressure, and b.s. thereof, as well...

Had it been a choice for me, I would have gladly skipped school ;0 )

Nothing takes the enjoyment out of learning, faster than negative energy ;p

Sad to say, you get a LOT more of crap, from schools, than you do, GOOD stuff ~
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/21 18:33:24
    NO
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    If I had some,they would need the human element.That's why I not going to school online myself.
  • ☆ QueenAline 2012/07/21 18:32:12 (edited)
    YES
    ☆ QueenAline
    +1
    They would get a better education..instead of indoctrination..but never without supervision
  • Farnsworth 2012/07/21 18:31:23
    NO
    Farnsworth
    +1
    schools heard them into labs to do BS online anyway. I don't think thats a real education, so it shouldn't be pushed at home either.
  • Scott 2012/07/21 18:28:47
    NO
    Scott
    +1
    While the learning of educational fundamentals is extremely important, and could probably be done online, the experience of social interaction is equally important. A child that spends his/her formative years sitting at a computer at home, stands less of a chance of being a well balanced individual.
  • Lindy... 2012/07/21 18:24:32
    NO
    Lindy...
    +1
    Seriously? Without supervision he or she would more likely play games or talk to his friends all day on line! Now, if you're talking the parent sitting right there with them all
    day and supervising the studys, then it MIGHT work.
  • NPC 2012/07/21 18:23:53
    NO
    NPC
    +3
  • BritPunk NPC 2012/07/21 19:06:07
    BritPunk
    Spot on, old bean. Education is about so much more than passing tests and ticking the boxes.
  • Kyra 2012/07/21 18:22:30
    YES
    Kyra
    +1
    Some kids need this option.

2014/04/21 07:22:52