Would Aretha Franklin Make a Good 'American Idol' Judge?

Music 2012/07/15 21:26:25
Ever since Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler announced that they’d be leaving “American Idol,” rumors have been flying about who will replace them as judges. Now, one music superstar has volunteered her services: 18-time Grammy Award winner Aretha Franklin.

In addition to her many Grammys, Franklin, 70, became the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Though she is best known for 1960s hits such as “Respect” and “Baby I Love You,” Rolling Stone has described Franklin as the greatest female singer of all time.

Apparently, in an email to CNN on Saturday, Franklin said that she has long been a fan of “American Idol” and would love to join the cast as a judge. The Queen of Soul also suggested Patti LaBelle as a sidekick. According to CNN, “Fox declined to comment on Franklin on Saturday night.” But adding a judge of Franklin’s caliber may be just what the network needs to do to boost ratings.

What do you think SodaHeads? Would Aretha Franklin make a good “American Idol” judge?

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/14/showbiz/aretha-frank...

• Meako 2012/07/15 21:41:54
    Yes!
    Meako
    +6
    Yes, the Queen would be magnificent.. she has lost a lot of weight since she was sick....!! love me some Aretha, R-E-S-P-E-C-T.............

aretha lost weight

• ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/07/16 01:50:14
    Yes!
    ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★
  • YesME 2012/07/16 01:15:43
    Yes!
    YesME
    +2
    Why not? Because she's well endowed? She's the Queen of soul for goodness sake, if anyone knows music, Aretha does.
  • JohnT 2012/07/16 01:14:38
    Yes!
    JohnT
    +2
    The queen of soul, you best believe it. She only has 45 years of experience and knowledge of the Music Industry
  • frequent–antagonist 2012/07/16 00:00:19
    No!
    frequent–antagonist
    Most of today's generation probably doesn't even know who she is.

....Plus, well.... she isn't exactly the best eye candy. Television hosts/judges should be more beautiful.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 00:32:10
    SOUL4REAL
    +1
    Who don't know Mrs Aretha Franklin? If they don't know her,they must have been living underneath a rock. She's not the best eye candy? Are you for real? Beauty don't only come in looks,this woman have a beautiful spirit and she is beautiful in her own right. "Respect" is all she ask of us,"God" don't make mistakes!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 01:12:15
    frequent–antagonist
    Lots of people. Maybe it is you who has been living under a rock with your old music. People make mistakes. Like eating all the cake.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 01:28:41
    SOUL4REAL
    You don't have to be old to know about Mrs Aretha Franklin! I live in a beautiful home, peon! You're right people do make mistakes,just like you made one,writing a check your azz can't cash! You look like you have eaten something,what I don't know,"Bones"!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 02:49:15
    frequent–antagonist
    I've lost track of what you're trying to say, dear.

I never once said that you'd have to be old to know her. I'm just simply stating a fact. She isn't very popular with today's younger generations. Many older musicians are, I know for a fact. But she just isn't.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 11:15:25
    SOUL4REAL
    What I'm saying is that,you have no right to say she's not eye candy because Aretha Franklin is beautiful in her own right. It's an insult to call this woman ugly, beauty comes in all form,beauty is not only how a person looks. This is why the people in this world is so f..ked up today trying to be beautiful. With all the plastic surgery and end up looking real strange. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Aretha is beautiful because she brings the world together through her "love" of music and that's a beautiful thing. How can you speak for other people (younger generation)? You can only speak for yourself,you stop trying to be other people mouth piece! You have a good day,Dear!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 15:45:24
    frequent–antagonist
    I have all the right to say she isn't eye candy, because it is very clear that she isn't. Beauty does not come in all forms, and it most certainty does not come in her size. Gluttony is not beautiful.

I am not speaking for the younger generations. I am simply speaking the truth. Go into a public school and just ask how many kids actually know who she is. I bet no more than 15% do, if even that.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 16:06:44
    SOUL4REAL
    In your eyes,which I see you can't see! Beauty do come in all form, example a beautiful rose,beautiful dress,beautiful hair,beautiful personality, something you don't have,do I need to go on?? I don't believe you about the younger generation don't know who Aretha Franklin is. Just like you heard of her, they have heard of her too. Being "Boney" is not beautiful either!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 16:15:55
    frequent–antagonist
    Beauty doesn't come in gluttony. Simple as that.

You can pretend they know her all you want, but you seem to be the one who is being blind-sighted. She, just like lots of other older singer/bands have been forgotten by many. It's just something that naturally happens.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 16:37:25
    SOUL4REAL
    I see you have issues with weight! Beauty doesn't come in "Bones" either! Simple as that! My eyes are wide open and I don't have a problem with weight,you must be "Anorexic"! You look like you hungry,eat something! Hahahahaha!! Girl,everybody knows who Mrs Aretha Franklin is,go on with that dumb sh*t!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 16:47:10
    frequent–antagonist
    I do not have issues with weight. I'm just saying that is is disgusting and not beautiful to eat your way into looking like that. I am not anorexic. You don't have to be anorexic to know what pure gluttony is.

Not everyone is a fan of her type of music. Just because you are some sort of super fan, that does not mean that 'everybody MUST know who Aretha is, all because I am a fan so everybody else must be a fan too'. Your logic sucks.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 17:02:55
    SOUL4REAL
    Your damn logic is the one that sucks! All your talking about is her weight,so you have issues with weight,keep it real! No one said you have to like her music,the topic is the young generation doesn't know who Aretha Franklin is. You don't know what the hell your talking about,just running your damn mouth like you got "Diarrhea" of the mouth. Go and sit your azz down somewhere and learn something. "Bones"!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 17:05:54
    frequent–antagonist
    I think you're the one who has nothing left to say so you rely on weak insults all because I've proven you quite wrong.

I'd rather be bony than saggy with fat.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 17:22:24
    SOUL4REAL
    Your weak, because you can't deal with the truth! Take it how ever you want to, I don't know what make you think your right? You haven proved sh*t,what you have proved is that you have a problem with weight. Everybody, whether your heavy or skinny,once you get old your skin is going to sag. You haven't lived long enough. I'm not going back and forth with you because there's no reasoning with you. Aretha Franklin is the "Queen Of Soul" and don't you forget that "Bones"!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 17:39:47
    frequent–antagonist
    >Your weak, because you can't deal with the truth! Take it how ever you want to, I don't know what make you think your right? You haven proved sh*t,what you have proved is that you have a problem with weight.

I don't see what I could possibly have to deal with. I've proved all your claims wrong. I've also already said that I do not have a problem with weight. I'm just saying that it's gross to weigh that much.

>Everybody, whether your heavy or skinny,once you get old your skin is going to sag. You haven't lived long enough.

I said fat and saggy, not just saggy. There is a difference.

>I'm not going back and forth with you because there's no reasoning with you. Aretha Franklin is the "Queen Of Soul" and don't you forget that "Bones"!

I still don't see your point. Are you purposely trying to sound ghetto? I'm guessing you're a bit large yourself. That's why you're calling me bones.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 18:08:23
    SOUL4REAL
    No,I'm not heavy! I don't like the idea that you can call someone else "FAT" and being disrespectful. I don't have to prove anything to you. Did your parents teach you,if you don't have anything nice to say,don't say anything at all? Where is this ghetto coming from? Who are you to label someone? Soon as someone say something you can't handle,here you go,you can't spell,you need an education,you have to realize,your not superior. You don't see my point because you are a "Narcissistic" and you always thing your right,that's why you can't see my point. "Bones"! It don't matter if your fat or skinny your going to "SAG" when you get older. Girl,Bye!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 18:56:43
    frequent–antagonist
    It is officially decided. You are severely stupid. I'm not saying that as an insult, but as the truth.

She is a glutton and in the public eye. You're quite a hypocrite. I've lost track of how many times you've thrown a weak insult at me.

I say ghetto because you sound ghetto. DON'T YOU BE HATIN' ALL UP ON MY ARETHA, GURL. Pretty much.

Clearly you cannot see my point. You are way too single minded.

I quote: "I said fat and saggy, not just saggy. There is a difference." I never once said that people don't sag when they get older.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 19:24:51
    SOUL4REAL
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Do you hear crickets??
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 20:10:26
    frequent–antagonist
    No, but I see someone has run out of things to say.
  • JohnT SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 16:18:35
    JohnT
    +1
    That busted me up, ask the kids in public school. How about asking the majority of the populous not some kids who don't have a clue past last week, who Aretha is. Just one of greatest soul singers of all time. That is so typical with youth they know little but say too much.
  • SOUL4REAL JohnT 2012/07/16 16:45:06
    SOUL4REAL
    +1
    You are so right! This young girl keep talking about Aretha Franklin weight. She got to be "Anorexia" looking like a "Bone"! Some of these children don't know when to speak, always coming out their necks being disrespectful. Aretha Franklin still carry the title "Queen Of Soul" everybody know her by that title,that young girl is just blowing "Hot" air! :))
  • frequen... JohnT 2012/07/16 16:50:20
    frequent–antagonist
    Not knowing a woman who was once famous does not equal bad knowledge. And I'm apparently the one showing age discrimination? Riiiiiiiight.

Not every soul is a fan of soul or R&B. She is old and she isn't doing much to represent her image. Of course a majority newer generations aren't going to know who she is.
  • JohnT frequen... 2012/07/16 01:16:18
    JohnT
    +1
    That is age discrimination, she has more experience and knowledge than a lot of people. It isn't about cute it is about knowledge.
  • frequen... JohnT 2012/07/16 02:47:08
    frequent–antagonist
    I don't see how I've said anything that would be offensive about someone's age.
  • 4gotten... frequen... 2012/07/16 12:37:32
    4gotten Israelite
    +1
    Like you for instants have know clue of who Mrs. Franklin is. What it is most of today's generation are arrogant, ignorant and very disrespectful of their elders. I'd bet you're no piece of eye candy neither.
  • frequen... 4gotten... 2012/07/16 15:50:07
    frequent–antagonist
    I know who Mrs Franklin is, '4gotten'. She is a singer who has seemingly lost popularity over the years.

either*
    I'm quite sure I am, especially when in compare to Aretha. Besides, I'm pretty sure everybody on SH is more eye candy than Aretha has turned out to be in her elder years.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 16:10:41
    SOUL4REAL
    Mrs Aretha Franklin has not lost any popularity,she still hold the title "Queen Of Soul"! Beauty fades over time,your time is coming and then let me hear you talk sh*t then!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 16:18:36
    frequent–antagonist
    I may get old but that does not mean I will eat myself fat. Many elders age gracefully and stay lean.

She has lost a ton of popularity. Why can't you just see that? If she's going to stay in the shadows and eat cake all day, people are going to forget and younger generations are never going to know who she was in the first place-- because it's like she was never there in the first place.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 16:55:23
    SOUL4REAL
    Yell,you are going to get old,gracefully my azz,you'll probably look like a piece of scribble up bacon. You need to eat something cake,cookies,pies,ice cream,anything to make you look normal,why you can't see that? "Bones"! Girl,gone! See ya and don't want to be you!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 16:58:06
    frequent–antagonist
    Why do you keep saying bones? This isn't even about me. I don't understand the point of all your insults. We all have bones dear.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 17:12:48
    SOUL4REAL
    Dear,your to skinny! It's not an insult,it's truth! Like Mrs Aretha Franklin is someone who glutt. You're right we all do have bones, but yours are visible.
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 17:14:59
    frequent–antagonist
    How would you even be able to tell if I have visible bones or not? I am not 'too skinny', I'm of a healthy weight kthanks.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 17:23:20
    SOUL4REAL
    By Looking at you!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 17:31:46
    frequent–antagonist
    All you see is my face, really.
  • SOUL4REAL frequen... 2012/07/16 17:38:08
    SOUL4REAL
    I see your face,neck and shoulders. You can judge other people but you think you can't be judged. Are you a "Narcissistic"? Thinking your superior? Well,let me bring your awareness up,your just another human being! Remember, that! Have a good day!
  • frequen... SOUL4REAL 2012/07/16 17:42:03
    frequent–antagonist
    So? I'm lean. I'm not just bones.

I'm certainty superior compared to you, especially when it comes to spelling and grammar.
  • 4gotten... frequen... 2012/07/17 14:59:50
    4gotten Israelite
    I'm sorry, please forgive me, I had no idea that you are just a baby. So I do understand your ignorance when it comes to an icon like Aretha Franklin, maybe your parents would appreciate her a little more.

2014/10/26 05:23:35