Why do they play the same songs over and over again??

Flowers 2011/02/18 15:50:54
They should do...
It's just the way the world works...
How annoying is it to get into your car and hear the same song you hear every day? We listen to a commerical radio station at work and it's really frustrating. Who agrees with me?? Is there anything that can be done to get them to play a better range of music within the Genre?? I've noticed the same thing happening with Pandora Radio app also.

• RogueLoner 2011/02/18 16:30:23
    It's just the way the world works...
    RogueLoner
    +7
    As a former radio DJ, talk host, program manager, and station manager, I have the answer. It's the way the world works. Station owners have no clue as to what to play. Advertising agencies TELL them what to play. The ad agencies , who also have no clue, get their advice from consulting or survey companies. Music surveys are conducted in 4 cities...no, not YOUR small town...but in New York, Dallas, Chicago, and Los Angeles. They round up 1000 people in each city, and herd them into an auditorium so they can vote on their favorite 10 or 20 songs in each genre. These 4000 people represent the entire nation. Since the ad agencies have no clue, they take advice from the survey companies. The station owners MUST play what the ad agencies tell them to play, or they get no national advertising. Stations can't survive without the revenue from national ads. As to which time the songs are played...blame the lazy or incompetent program director, who programs the music into a computer, but fails to click "shuffle". The shuffle feature detects which of the 20 songs has played in which time slot, and "shuffles" them automatically, like a deck of cards. Most of your "local" stations get their feeds from a satellite, including the DJ's. Listen to the stations that say " it's 17 past the hour"....

As a former radio DJ, talk host, program manager, and station manager, I have the answer. It's the way the world works. Station owners have no clue as to what to play. Advertising agencies TELL them what to play. The ad agencies , who also have no clue, get their advice from consulting or survey companies. Music surveys are conducted in 4 cities...no, not YOUR small town...but in New York, Dallas, Chicago, and Los Angeles. They round up 1000 people in each city, and herd them into an auditorium so they can vote on their favorite 10 or 20 songs in each genre. These 4000 people represent the entire nation. Since the ad agencies have no clue, they take advice from the survey companies. The station owners MUST play what the ad agencies tell them to play, or they get no national advertising. Stations can't survive without the revenue from national ads. As to which time the songs are played...blame the lazy or incompetent program director, who programs the music into a computer, but fails to click "shuffle". The shuffle feature detects which of the 20 songs has played in which time slot, and "shuffles" them automatically, like a deck of cards. Most of your "local" stations get their feeds from a satellite, including the DJ's. Listen to the stations that say " it's 17 past the hour"....never saying which hour. That's a sure sign that your "local" music is coming from a satellite, because they can't cover 4 time zones. Most stations are only truly local during morning drive time. Oh....but you hear local stores and community events on the radio all day....the computer automatically shuts off the satellite feed and another computer plays the local spot instead of the national ad. That's why local ads MUST be exactly 30 or 60 seconds, because when the satellite resumes, if the local commercial is too long or too short, it will get cut off...and a second or two of the national ad will play. Your station call letters are also timed in to override the satellite. TRANSLATION:

The survey companies are a farce, and your "local" station is a satellite feed. Computers run everything. It's how the world works. It's all about making money, and you are being duped.

• Julia 2011/03/22 05:12:23
    It's just the way the world works...
    Julia
    +1
    Maybe it's cheaper to only buy the rights to one song...

It happens where I live too.
  • Flowers Julia 2011/03/22 12:42:57
    Flowers
    +1
    maybe! but it's very frustrating
  • Julia Flowers 2011/10/28 06:10:58
    Julia
    +1
    I guess it's one of those things that we would change if we owned the radio station, but will never get to do. I just use CDs, that way I get some variety.
  • Soundstorm 2011/03/01 22:43:46
    Soundstorm
    +1
    The music industry has become an emperor with no clothes. The radio stations have no real talent to spin to their mass audiences anymore. Conservative talk radio is the hot ticket now.
  • Alejandra 2011/02/20 07:29:55
    Alejandra
    +1
    Because they get perks if they do!!
  • RockinRhonda 2011/02/20 06:31:22
    RockinRhonda
    +1
    Wait... What was the question again?

wait
  • Punk Rocker 2011/02/20 01:07:35
    Punk Rocker
    +1
    the radio would be far more interesting to listen to if there was a range of genres being played & no repeated songs.
  • Spizzzo BN-0 2011/02/19 08:22:04
    It's just the way the world works...
    Spizzzo BN-0
    Stinks, but it's true.
  • DJL 2011/02/19 06:54:54
    It's just the way the world works...
    DJL
    That is why there are presets on your cars radio.
  • Flowers DJL 2011/02/19 20:52:17
    Flowers
    Huh? What would presets help?
  • DJL Flowers 2011/02/19 21:25:31
    DJL
    When a song that you have heard to much comes on, change the station.
  • Hamm0ckjames 2011/02/19 03:00:39
    Hamm0ckjames
    That was one of the main reasons I bought a satellite radio receiver for my truck. Now I can choose what I want to hear. ALL DAY LONG !
  • eyeballz 2011/02/19 02:26:02
    eyeballz
    Sure , just change the dial .
  • Walt 2011/02/18 22:32:52
    Walt
    +1
    The reason the station I listen to keeps playing the same songs over and over is that it's a classic rock station.
  • BluEyes4Two 2011/02/18 22:25:52
    It's just the way the world works...
    BluEyes4Two
    O_O
  • realityjunkie 2011/02/18 22:16:17
    It's just the way the world works...
    realityjunkie
    It's all based on what the people want and the record labels that pay them the most. My station sends out several emails a year asking to rate songs. Those that get more ratings are played more and those we get tired of are taken off rotation.

Find some independent college stations if they’ll let you. They don't play by the same rules your local stations have to. And, if you can get Sirius do it! I've had Sirius for years now and LOVE it. They play lots of great music you don't hear on the local station.
  • Jeok 2011/02/18 19:44:36
    They should do...
    Jeok
    +2
    Enact Sherman Antitrust Protocals for dismantling Corporate Media Monopolies. Give radio and television stations back to small business owners, as it was. Job creation-DJs used to be local and take requests, now Corporations pump propaganda music into our heads. Machines write and make music, Performers are just necessary monkey to humanize their actions. Gong Shows prevail. Thank you Chuck Barris. IMHO Thank You For Your Indulgence monkey humanize actions gong prevail chuck barris imho indulgence Chuck Barris
  • Tits ISHBAHFF McGee 2011/02/18 19:10:01
    It's just the way the world works...
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    I personally chose to listen to talk radio now.
  • Michael McFascist 2011/02/18 18:55:59 (edited)
    Michael McFascist
    +1
    because there's....
    ???
  • Flowers Michael... 2011/02/18 19:26:04
    Flowers
    +1
    LOL I actually like prince!
  • Michael... Flowers 2011/02/18 19:30:03
    Michael McFascist
    +1
    where else are you gonna get Jimi Hendrix, Little Richard, and James Brown all rolled into one?
  • Flowers Michael... 2011/02/18 19:32:13
    Flowers
    +1
    exactly!!
  • Michael... Flowers 2011/02/18 19:34:53
    Michael McFascist
    He's a undoubtedly a genius musically. But, he lost me somewhere after Graffiti Bridge...his early stuff is the best i think
  • Flowers Michael... 2011/02/18 19:45:03
    Flowers
    The musical geniuses usually are hard to follow at times the early stuff is my favorite also
  • FeelHood H. Obama~BN28 2011/02/18 18:42:10
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    +1
    Clear Channel does this for the same reason they pay the salaries of Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity & Rush "Straight Shooter" Limbaugh:

To keep America perpetually stupid & distracted from the reality on the ground.

Clear Channel is the anti-Christ.
  • Ding A Ling B Dead 2011/02/18 17:36:58
    Ding A Ling B Dead
    I was just thinking the same thing about Pandora a couple of days ago! Awesome.

Imagine if you worked at Johnny Rocket's!!!!
  • Flowers Ding A ... 2011/02/18 19:25:28
    Flowers
    +1
    :| johnny rockets... is that a old style type soda hop place??
  • Ding A ... Flowers 2011/02/18 21:45:55
    Ding A Ling B Dead
    yes and all they have is that jukebox with the same 100 oldies on it.

If I were a lawyer (and I've actually suggested this before) I'd put an add on television and try to put together a class action suit :)

Seriously, could you imagine working there for say 12 years... the same 100 songs everyday! That truly is hell on earth!
  • BK 2011/02/18 17:09:22
    It's just the way the world works...
    BK
    +2
    The top comment is spot on. It's all pay for play, period. You hear what they pay other people to let you hear.
  • LarryFine 2011/02/18 16:57:25
    LarryFine
    Well if you are in to new music, you may get stuck with repeats. I am a classic rock guy and my local station really doesn't repeat that often. Only time it happens is when a band is coming to town that they are promoting.
  • Flowers LarryFine 2011/02/18 17:02:29
    Flowers
    i rarely listen to the tiny bop crap. In my area, all the stations do this. the alternative, the rock stations (I can't tell you how many times I have heard the same Limp biscut song in a week) and even the softer stations do. you're lucky you have a good manager in the radio station!
  • ThomasSnouffer 2011/02/18 16:30:55
    ThomasSnouffer
    It USED to be called "payola", but I'm not sure WHAT the term is anymore. ;-)
  • RogueLoner 2011/02/18 16:30:23
    It's just the way the world works...
    RogueLoner
    +7

• Flowers RogueLoner 2011/02/18 16:36:31
    Flowers
    +2
    I feel so used!! LOL thanks for the explaination. glad I didn't go into the radio industry I would be really pissed once I learned that
  • RogueLoner Flowers 2011/02/18 16:55:58
    RogueLoner
    +1
    That's why I quit.
  • Flowers RogueLoner 2011/02/18 16:38:03
    Flowers
    +1
    where are these said survey companies, I would like to give them a piece of my mind!!
  • RogueLoner Flowers 2011/02/18 17:01:50
    RogueLoner
    They're all over the place. A dime a dozen. It's an easy way to make money for doing nothing. They take advantage of the naivety of the ad agencies and the Richie Rich station owners. It's the way the world works. The ad agencies and station owners don't know any better.
  • Cantus_... RogueLoner 2011/02/18 17:00:56
    Cantus_bird
    +2
    Why do they play the same songs over and over and over again? ... thanks for the info RogueLoner and dang good question Flowers .....
  • RogueLoner Cantus_... 2011/02/18 17:06:29
    RogueLoner
    +1
    I answered that. The people who program....on advice from the ad agencies and consultants.....assume that most people only listen to the radio 2 or 3 hours a day....so after the 2 or 3 hours , we start all over again for the NEW "group" of listeners. Like I said, they have no clue as to what real America does.
  • Cantus_... RogueLoner 2011/02/18 17:14:33 (edited)
    Cantus_bird
    +2
    :) ... i know you answered that RogueLoner, i put the question there because if you've been on this site long enough, you'll notice that the question sometimes changes .... hence, that was more for me than for you ... another thing i wanted to keep the info you shared on my profile so i don't have to go sifting through a bunch of info looking for this particular question .... anyways, i often change stations to bypass the same old song again and again ... thankfully my music taste runs all over the board .....

2014/12/19 12:18:26