Why do people say that Godsmack is a ripoff of alice in chains?

Thomas Bryant 2012/01/14 19:53:33
Related Topics: Song, Amazon, Name, Images
It's like becase don't think that they can be inspired by them.Also since when did taking a name from a song makes them a rip off.I also Don't hear what is similar From the to is it Godsmacks first album that makes people say that they are a ripoff?

Why do people say that Godsmack is a ripoff of alice in chains

• Dark Demonic™ ★ The Original SodaHead Guru ★
    +5
    I can see quite a few obvious influences, including Alice in Chains and Guns'n'Roses, but ultimately it doesn't matter who came before or who comes after, people will always fall into the bad habit of comparing. There are no truly unique and original bands anymore, everything is influenced by something that came before, whether it's music or something else. Alice in Chains were one of the greatest bands ever to exist, so to have anyone producing similar music is a great thing, because it keeps the style and genre alive and everyone should appreciate that.

• Nekogirl 2012/01/24 06:10:41
    Nekogirl
    +1
    y a ripp-off? they dont sound similar!!!
  • Sis 2012/01/23 20:07:36
    Sis
    +1
    i don"t think they r. i think they have 2 diffrent styles of music..i luv them both
  • Beautiful_Syn 2012/01/16 02:44:11
    Beautiful_Syn
    +1
    It's the same thing could be said about Mushroomhead and Slipknot yet people usually forget that Mushroomhead was wearing masks and jumpsuits long before Slipknot came about, or Lacuna Coil and Evanescence yet most people don't realize is that Lacuna Coil is a Italian band and came before Evanescence.
  • susan BN-0 2012/01/15 22:18:05 (edited)
    susan BN-0
    +1
    I've never heard that one,but It's a stupid thing for people to say because Godsmack doesn't sound anything like Alice In Chains.
  • RoseyRhod 2012/01/15 14:58:46
    RoseyRhod
    +2
    Because people are idiots. My dear old dad always said "if stupidity will explain it, look no further."
    As for the comment about relevancy, do you mean "relevant" as in are they appearing in Blender or whatever other stupid hipster music magazine is judging music these days? Godsmack will always be relevant because they have great talent and create music that they are proud of. They don't write their music to please others, but are happy if we like it too. They are true musicians, not some pop star who is all about the image.
  • Moonbeams 2012/01/15 08:25:50
    Moonbeams
    +1
    People say the darndest things.
  • Whoknows 2012/01/15 06:16:22
    Whoknows
    +1
    psht. who cares. no one will be alice, ever, no matter how they try.
  • Thomas ... Whoknows 2012/01/15 06:17:25
    Thomas Bryant
    +2
    No one has to be they both got there own thing.
  • Tennessee3501 2012/01/15 05:46:07
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    I was not are that they did. I am totally unfamiliar with both.
  • Amy.[: 2012/01/15 03:33:55
    Amy.[:
    +1
    I have no idea
  • Bob DiN 2012/01/15 02:49:04
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Haven't a clue.
  • Dynasty Fighter 2012/01/15 02:11:27
    Dynasty Fighter
    +2
    I really don't know
  • Pikaboo 2012/01/15 02:03:09
    Pikaboo
    +2
    I don't know. I only like one song by Godsmack and I don't like Alice in Chains... xD
  • BlackwinterG36C 2012/01/15 00:26:12
    BlackwinterG36C
    +1
    If anything Godsmack is a rip off of Disturbed. I always viewed Godsmack as Gobots to Disturbed's transformers. Godsmack is the Robocop to Disturbed's Terminator. Godsmack is the Kmart to Disturbed's Walmart. Alice in chains is grunge, Godsmack is Nu-metal. They aren't even in the same genre. I've never heard the 2 bands compared to each other.
  • Thomas ... Blackwi... 2012/01/15 01:17:35
    Thomas Bryant
    +2
    Godsmack is heavy Metal they are not nu-metal try wiki dude.Also I don't see them that similar to Disturbed that is just silly and stupid.They are both metal but there not that close a lot of bands have heavy sounds like Godsmack and disturbed but dude lets be serious just for once lets do a little research and prove it first.
  • Blackwi... Thomas ... 2012/01/15 03:26:41
    BlackwinterG36C
    +1
    They are both Nu-Metal which is a subgenre of Heavy Metal!
    Metal tree
  • Thomas ... Blackwi... 2012/01/15 03:32:00
    Thomas Bryant
    Ok I'v just mostly saw them labeled as heavy metal but ok.Before you showed me this I did check and you are right about that.
  • Harley Quinn 2012/01/14 23:16:43
    Harley Quinn
    +3
    I haven't heard anyone say that at all.
  • damnyoumaggot 2012/01/14 23:09:05 (edited)
    damnyoumaggot
    +1
    I don't know. I think that Sully Erna probably wishes that Godsmack were as talented as AIC. but they don't even come close. AIC is so diverse where Godsmack pretty much has two styles of songs, kinda heavy and then accoustic. If you've heard one you've pretty much heard em all. I 've heard Sully say that Layne was the reason he formed Godsmack. I think the Godsmack logo is more of a ripoff than the music.

AIC sun logo

godsmack logo

I do think Sully may have been largely influenced by Layne's side project Mad Season. Listen to this:

And then Godsmack's Voodoo:

• Thomas ... damnyou... 2012/01/14 23:21:56
    Thomas Bryant
    +2
    Well im not a fan of AIC I just think people get to much of the wrong idea.I just think they are inspired and people always have to compare stuff.
    Like Ruoska and Rammstein they will always say something is so similar which is fine but they will then call Ruoska wannabes of Rammstein even though they could just be inspired.People always have to have the wrong idea about stuff.
  • damnyou... Thomas ... 2012/01/14 23:27:03
    damnyoumaggot
    +1
    I don't know about wrong ideas... but....There's nothing new under the sun and people tend to wear their influences on their sleeves...What can ya do?
  • Thomas ... damnyou... 2014/03/11 01:12:39
    Thomas Bryant
    And now I do like Alice and Chains.:)
  • whispering hands 2012/01/14 22:57:28
    whispering hands
    +3
    I've never liked Godsmack, but never thought of them as an Alice in Chains ripoff too much. Alice in Chains is one of the most amazing bands ever to grace the planet Earth, so it wouldn't be surprising even IF Godsmack ripped them off.
  • Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    +4
    Godsmack is still relevant?
  • Jesterz 2012/01/14 21:38:50
    Jesterz
    +4
    Childish behavior... "My father is stronger than yours" kind of thing...

Haters gonna hate....... Mmmm, wouldn't that be a good band name? But then, it would surely be a rip off of something...
  • Rachel 2012/01/14 21:28:03
    Rachel
    +4
    Music is a constant state of evolution.

One starts off copying initially and then reinventing themselves and the music in the end.
  • doctorwhofan 2012/01/14 21:26:19
    doctorwhofan
    +2
    I don't know, I haven't listened much to either of them
  • ❤Runaway❤ 2012/01/14 21:05:50
    ❤Runaway❤
    +3
    Same reason people say We Are The Fallen is a ripoff of Evanescence and BVB is a ripoff of Kiss. People know nothing.
  • Thomas ... ❤Runaway❤ 2012/01/14 21:39:11
    Thomas Bryant
    +1
    Thank you that is just the type of answer I need.
  • Kirby 2012/01/14 21:02:19
    Kirby
    +4
    They still one of my favorites, this whole they ripped them off is ridiculous everyone in music is influenced and then adds their insight to their music! Everyone needs to take a lude and chill!
  • TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige 2012/01/14 20:59:44
    TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige
    +2
    That's like saying the band Duran Duran is a rip off of the movie Barbarella.

Barbarella  Duran Duran
    +5

• Hannie 2012/01/14 20:41:37
    Hannie
    +4
    I don't see anything wrong with Godsmack, for every fan is a hater.
  • some idiot who thinks he kn... 2012/01/14 20:26:54
    some idiot who thinks he knows everything
    +2
    I don't like this band for different reasons. The AiC influences are obviously there, but as far as I have observed they haven't ripped AiC off ... at least too much.
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/01/14 20:03:41 (edited)
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +2
    While I don't like Godsmack, I'll agree that they're not a rip off. All bands were influenced by someone, and many bands have a similar counterpart.

The Beatles & The Rolling Stones
    Pink Floyd & Rush
    AC/DC & Accept
    Motörhead & Black Label Society
    Iron Maiden & Loudness
    Pearl Jam & Nirvana
  • Thomas ... ✞Knight... 2012/01/14 21:44:28
    Thomas Bryant
    +1
    Thank you I have never been so happy with all these answers like these before.It always seems that I like something people just have to say it's a ripoff.They wont think just for once it could be inspired.

2014/07/31 03:37:11