Why couldn't they rebuild the twin towers?

GinMadoWarrior 2011/09/12 21:53:32
Well, why couldn't they? They rebuilt the pentagon, why not the twin towers?

• Linnster 2011/09/12 23:21:30
    Linnster
    +12
    They could have, they didn't want to. I think it's criminal that ten years later, there is no replacement for the Towers. They should have put them right back up, one story higher and given the middle finger to the Middle East.

• AJ Skinner 2013/02/21 04:10:24
    AJ Skinner
    +2
    They're building "One World Trade Center" ....gives me the creeps
  • CedricDoodlehopper 2011/11/22 20:38:56
    CedricDoodlehopper
    +2
    I have heard that they might rebuild the towers, but I would not get my hopes up. This is not very likely, especially now that they have made so much progress with the Freedom Center. Not that this makes it impossible, but it does send the message that they are not planning on it. I heard that if people say their opinion (they have), if the government listens (don't count on it), and if they realize their mistake, then rebuilding is in sight. Not that I'm saying this is not true, but it is true more in the way that you shouldn't need to lock your door because if people did the right thing, they would not break in your house (In that kind of world, we wouldn't have lost the Twin Towers). Now, people do like the Freedom Tower, that is not false, but, once again, the government and the press can change what people say to make it sound different. People do like it, but they like the Twin Towers better. They don't think it replaces the Twin Towers. They could build the twin towers where they once stood, in between the Freedom Center. While this would be ideal, I wouldn't count on it. While the Freedom Tower is good, the Twin Towers are better. I think that if this happened 60 years ago, they would have rebuilt them the same, except taller, bigger, and better than before...

I have heard that they might rebuild the towers, but I would not get my hopes up. This is not very likely, especially now that they have made so much progress with the Freedom Center. Not that this makes it impossible, but it does send the message that they are not planning on it. I heard that if people say their opinion (they have), if the government listens (don't count on it), and if they realize their mistake, then rebuilding is in sight. Not that I'm saying this is not true, but it is true more in the way that you shouldn't need to lock your door because if people did the right thing, they would not break in your house (In that kind of world, we wouldn't have lost the Twin Towers). Now, people do like the Freedom Tower, that is not false, but, once again, the government and the press can change what people say to make it sound different. People do like it, but they like the Twin Towers better. They don't think it replaces the Twin Towers. They could build the twin towers where they once stood, in between the Freedom Center. While this would be ideal, I wouldn't count on it. While the Freedom Tower is good, the Twin Towers are better. I think that if this happened 60 years ago, they would have rebuilt them the same, except taller, bigger, and better than before. Instead, they build them much different, smaller, shorter, and not quite as good. Usually, that's what they do (although there's no real precedent for what to do if a major skyscraper is destroyed), but not this time. They could at least build them as good, if they can't build them better. I didn't mean if they "can't". I know they "can", but they don't want to. They would rather spend more money, take more time, and end up with something not as good. It is hard to believe that for the first time, the best part is behind us, not ahead of us, but that Americans are now afraid to accomplish anything. Maybe we will look back on this, and remember how we were once afraid, so we decided to downsize in order to be safe. We decided to stop moving forward, instead that it was better to be safe. We'll look back on the 1970s, when the World Trade Center (71 and 72), as well as the Willis Tower (then the Sears Tower) (74) were built. How each was taller than the last. We'll remember that then we stopped. The Twin Towers may never be rebuilt, despite the fact that the public wants them to be. Many people want them rebuilt where they used to stand, with the Freedom Towers next to them. But political cowards run New York, as well as most of the country (and most of the world). This is not the 40 years ago, when people were not afraid and did not give in to their fears. I think the whole plan may be closed, at least it is almost dead. This is not the answer you (or I) probably wanted to hear, but there is not much hope when nobody listens to anyone else and only does what THEY want. They could at least build it as good, if not better, but this Freedom Tower is unacceptable. It may be "almost" as good, but 90% will never do when we could do 100%. Rebuilding the Twin Towers, better and bigger and taller than before, would be an even better way to honor those who died there than building a huge forest with two large manmade waterfalls where the original towers once stood.
    I also find it odd that it is removed from movies, tv, and other media, as well as things it would otherwise be in, such as pictures, LEGO sets (there's a lego set of almost every other skyscraper in the world), Flight Simulator, etc. It is rarely ever mentioned on lists of tall buildings, even at the side, with a note saying it was destroyed. This only gives the terrorists the satisfaction they wanted.
    I also don't understand people who say rebuilding it would be living in the past. It would not be if it had not been destroyed, then it would be the present and future. How then does it become a thing of the past? Why do people say we need to move forward, or that we as a country don't look back? We don't have to "look back" to have the Willis (Sears) Tower, or the Empire State Building. Why then do we have to move on without the World Trade Center? Saying that America is strong and doesn't need the Twin Towers and can live without them and not look back or live in the past and instead move forward? This makes no sense. We are doing none of those things by rebuilding the Towers. Another bad argument is that they are easy targets. Not only are we safer now, but we can't give into our fear. This is also what the terrorists wanted. Are you serious? Never rebuild the towers because we are cowards? Show the world we're afraid? Let the terrorists control us, just like they wanted? I think the Twin Towers should be rebuilt.
  • desmond... CedricD... 2013/02/16 00:42:45
    desmond murphy
    +1
    They Have Begun the rebuilding process! XD
    They started with the reflection ponds which has all the names of all the men and women who died
  • Carl Co... CedricD... 2014/05/16 23:39:29 (edited)
    Carl Contino
    +2
    New World Trade Center

Currently, as of 5/16/14, 7 World Trade Center and 4 World Trade Center are open, as well as the memorial park. The museum is opening in a matter of weeks and One World trade Center is opening sometime this year. (2014) 2 World Trade Center is on hold (yet still expected to be complete by at least 2020, if not 2016), and 3 World Trade Center is expected to be complete by 2016. The photo is a real picture, not a rendering.
  • Zammo 2011/09/21 17:58:09
    Zammo
    If they did, they should use an American architect this time!
  • Elephan... Zammo 2011/12/12 05:21:01
    Elephant Lord
    I think it would be better if they hired the best architects from around the world. Patriotism is great, but it shouldn't replace practicality.
  • Zammo Elephan... 2011/12/12 20:42:09 (edited)
    Zammo
    Yeah, you have a point. Anyway, they're building the freedom tower if that's still what they're calling it
  • Elephan... Zammo 2012/01/04 15:11:19
    Elephant Lord
    +1
    I can't wait for it to be finished.
  • Sleepin'WitSirens;* 2011/09/14 23:49:18
    Sleepin'WitSirens;*
    They're all a bunch of jackass'.
  • Tony 2011/09/14 14:34:42
    Tony
    politics
  • Tony 2011/09/14 14:34:25
    Tony
    politics
  • kevin 2011/09/14 05:59:33 (edited)
    kevin
    +1
    they are building a new world trade center
  • MOJ 2011/09/13 23:56:30
    MOJ
    What? And stop the much needed wars?

• JAKE~PWCM~JLA 2011/09/13 22:57:51
    JAKE~PWCM~JLA
    maybe bush wanted to win the war before he rebuilt them. but yea
  • tea for you 2011/09/13 22:39:05
    tea for you
    Bush decided he wanted a new look
  • Eliana 2011/09/13 21:51:26
    Eliana
    The twin towers are very high and remember that a lot of people died building them. If they are rebuild very carefully, it could late a lot of years I guess
  • ×_×Death_Angel×_× 2011/09/13 21:25:27
    ×_×Death_Angel×_×
    Cuz they said it wuldve cost to much money but I think it's cuz they were juz lazy
  • Christmas; In Chrome 2011/09/13 20:15:43
    Christmas; In Chrome
    It's the old "This Is A Day That Shall Live In Infamy" routine. They don't want anyone to forget, because they make money off our fear. We'd actually been fighting those guys for a long time before that happened, we had always been on alert. A couple of random nut jobs just got past the radar is all. It wasn't anything new, They didn't suddenly decide they didn't like us. But the average american doesn't know or care anything about the state of political affairs until it begins to affect them and their families. Here it did, and the people who run this slab decided to milk it for as long as they could to boost their own dealings.
  • Drive Me Nervous 2011/09/13 20:06:16
    Drive Me Nervous
    they are...i think
  • JDHARTLV 2011/09/13 19:14:36
    JDHARTLV
    Because they wanted something to use as a motivational tool. To keep us forever pissed off, so that they can continue funding their wars.
  • doc 2011/09/13 18:00:02
    doc
    If we would have we would not have been able to hold onto the tragedy for as long as we did. With the towers "gone" a metaphorical empty hole was left instead.
  • Jackie 2011/09/13 15:55:22
    Jackie
    Actually that would have been the best response to rebuild them even better than they were before. As retaliation to the insane Muslim attack. But the problem would be they would become an instant target again. 911 was the second terrorist attack on the World trade center as it was. It was bombed in 1993.
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2011/09/13 15:05:19
    Just MEH....Piwan
    It wouldn't be wise, may as well just put two targets up for the terrorists to attack!
  • little bill 2011/09/13 13:20:10
    little bill
    they did not rebuild the pentagon they just fixed the hole in the one side. besides why have the same old thing gotta go newer.
    if your house was burnt down would you want the same one build or a new one?
  • dear•LT13☻ 2011/09/13 12:22:53
    dear•LT13☻
    no do-overs.
    (why would you)
  • mewycg 2011/09/13 09:54:45
    mewycg
    They are opting to build a structure that is more 'destruction-proof '. And using the basins of the twins as memorial fountains.
    That's what I would have done jus' to piss them off!
  • 1Actual 2011/09/13 09:22:33
    1Actual
    Hello! The twin towers were PRIVATE PROPERTY owned by one man. The Pentagon is a government/public domain building.
  • eεrɾïiсαa αaṉnṉεe 2011/09/13 07:57:23
    eεrɾïiсαa αaṉnṉεe
    It seems nicer to keep it as hollowed ground, with a serene fountain
  • Helmholtz 2011/09/13 07:03:01
    Helmholtz
    I guess because the market didn't want them back badly enough.
  • Sam-I-am 2011/09/13 05:09:28
    Sam-I-am
    +2
    Honestly - It would just be another devastation waitin' to happen. Not to mention, New Yorkers would have haunting memories of the first.... It's a scary thought to me and I've never been to New York.
  • heart.as.loud.as.lions 2011/09/13 04:56:04
    heart.as.loud.as.lions
    +1
    cause america doesn't want to have that target be a target anymore. That's dumb because The Empire State Building is still standing.
  • SteveMarine- JLA 2011/09/13 04:49:09
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +2
    I kinda thought they were building a new tower called the freedom tower?
  • 1Actual SteveMa... 2011/09/13 09:27:31
    1Actual
    Gentlemen, we CAN rebuild them, we have the technology...we have the ability to build the world's first FREEDOM TOWER....
  • FlavoredConcept 2011/09/13 04:35:34
    FlavoredConcept
    Rebuilding the Towers is no easy feat, and yes it seems like the right thing to do, but when you think about it the idea seems perverse in a way like it just wouldn't be the same. Besides, I heard they are building a new I-don't-know-what-to-call-it where the Towers once stood. Supposedly it'll be the tallest building ever.
  • moonchild 2011/09/13 04:07:05
    moonchild
    I think there are way too many ghosts to build new towers and have people resume business as usual. They can never be truly replaced.
  • ProudProgressive 2011/09/13 03:48:46
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    They did talk about it but too many people wanted to go in another direction. Plus there was a pretty strong consensus even early on that they wanted to preserve the "footprints" of the buildings. I would have preferred if they had rebuilt the original.
  • iamthem... ProudPr... 2011/09/13 13:27:22
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    I always wonder about the footprints argument - considering that the original buildings were on a diagonal, building the towers on the opposite diagonals would preserve the footprints....
  • painted desert 2011/09/13 03:05:44 (edited)
    painted desert
    +1
    They are. building of The new twin towers
  • Welshtaff 2011/09/13 02:46:18
    Welshtaff
    +1
    There was a contruction problem with the buildings design, the new building have this corrected hopfully the will stand a hit from a aircraft with the minimum of damage according to the designers.

design building corrected hopfully hit aircraft minimum damage designers New york tower

2014/10/01 15:25:02