Why are people "God fearing"?

Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ 2010/10/21 23:18:34
Related Topics: Sin
If he...she...it? Is what you say it is, then why fear it...

I find it hard to "believe" that fear can go hand in hand with love and respect. Of course fear brings a fake respect and not true love. So if you indeed fear your god then you do not truly respect it nor do you truly love it.
Love and respect are two sides of the same coin, just like Fear and hatred are.

This applies to those crazy Christians we always see on TV, which only really shows the fear mentality within such religions. The ideas of sin and hell are manipulative tactics to get people to behave themselves, to conform, and to rat each other out.

Napoleon said it best: “Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet”

people behave conform rat napoleon religion excellent common people quiet

• Mark 2010/11/08 01:29:49
    Mark
    Fear in 1611 English is NOT what you think it means once defined back to the Hebrew .
  • jitko 2010/11/01 21:09:07
    jitko
    Because fear is not only patriotic and will keep you safe from post-emptive strikes, it will keep you from going to hell.
  • Jersey-Gurl 2010/10/31 01:29:18
    Jersey-Gurl
    Fear: to be afraid or feel anxious or apprehensive about a possible or probable situation or event.

Of course, we don't want to go to hell, we fear if we do and...

I would go further into detail but I think its pointless if I'm talking to an atheist who always need to talks about how God "doesn't exist" and how Christians are wrong.
  • Cathy 2010/10/25 16:36:30
    Cathy
    I am God fearing because I know that I will have to stand before Him one day and give account to the things that I done here while on planet earth!
  • KB 2010/10/25 16:07:00
    KB
    Without fear, religion looses its stranglehold on your choices.
  • Bartholomew 2010/10/23 07:19:20
    Bartholomew
    How about the respect one has for their father? Nobody wants a spanking. You still love dear old Dad but, you don't like to make him mad. I think you respect your father's authority on the basis of fear. Love may come from knowing that you are punished for your own good.
  • Allegra Baker 2010/10/23 02:45:31
    Allegra Baker
    On the contrary, my friend. If you fear someone, you ultimately respect them. The fear you are trying to implement is the synonym that aligns with being afraid of or ultimately living in fear of a being in higher power. The "fear" term used by "Crazy Christians" is a word used to describe a relationship Christians have with Him aligning in the same way, a student fears his Chemistry Professor. A student does not really live in fear of his professor, but the student is afraid of if what he does and makes sure he is respectful enough, or diligent and industrious enough for the professor that the professor might pass or fail the student. There is a relationship between the student and the professor, but the student knows their is a boundary, and that once the boundary is crossed all respect and dignity is lost from both parties. In simple terms, I fear God, I am a Christian. Religion has a cruel part to play in you question. But know the relationship I build with my Jehovah God is not built by fear, it is built on love and peace and righteousness. Fear is but an outline. Christians like me fear NOTHING except for Jehovah God, and it's not an afraid fear, it a fear based off of faith and respect. Hopefully I have answered you question. If not, then I am truly sorry. Just know God uses everyone of all types in His plan. I'm not perfect, but I am made by a perfect guy!
  • ColorMeRaven 2010/10/23 00:50:28
    ColorMeRaven
    I think its because they are afraid of death
  • Spent 2010/10/22 19:52:29
  • M-Dubya 2010/10/22 18:50:08
    M-Dubya
    fearing (in this case) is a respectful fear. We are to have a great respect for God.
  • Lady Wh... M-Dubya 2010/10/22 20:17:12
    +1
    Why? He is a murder, sociopath and a rapist.
  • Allegra... Lady Wh... 2010/10/23 02:46:07
    Allegra Baker
    Who?
  • Lady Wh... Allegra... 2010/10/23 09:27:05
  • HumanToZero 2010/10/22 17:50:33
    HumanToZero
    When any event takes place, people need either a devil or a savior, sometimes both. People definately fear the devil, until they find something more fearsome than the devil. In order to gain the protection of God (much like with the mafia), you have to abide its laws. Nobody can abide laws that fight the very nature that "the creator" put into us, so they fail... When they fail, God is now taking the place of the devil... unless you can blame the devil... then the blame is passed on to the scape goat (much like Jesus). People fear God because they are weak and psychotic.

interesting story:
    When Mohammed first recieved the Koran (via Bear-hug from the archangel Gabriel), he came back to Mecca from the mountains and started bothering the people about it being important that they adapt this holy law. The people chased him out of town like they would any lunatic. What seperated him from the other lunatics? He came back with an Army a few years later. With a gun to their heads, the people of Mecca accepted the Koran. From there, Mohammed took his army and conquered most of the Arab world giving them the same altimatum... stop being an infidel and we will not take your head. Of course people's weakness wins again. Thus began the Muslim religion.
  • Caroline - fan of Audubon 2010/10/22 16:54:18
    Caroline - fan of Audubon
    If "God is Love" as the Bible describes him in 1 John 4:8, why should it be necessary to fear him? Love and fear are generally regarded as incompatible. In most languages a single word can have various shades of meaning, depending on the context. The Bible speaks of different types of fear. When it uses the word in connection with worshiping God, it is not referring to terror, fright or an impending punishment. Rather, the fear of God conveys healthful feeling, awe, reverence, and deep respect. The fear of God displaces morbid, cowering fear. A Christian would not be afraid to approach God in prayer, as in the context of 1 John 4:18 it says that "Love throws fear outside"
  • gfreeman BN-0 2010/10/22 16:18:38 (edited)
    gfreeman BN-0
    +6
    It's called 'Stockholm Syndrome'.
  • Lady Wh... gfreema... 2010/10/22 18:42:40
    +2
    lolz! Epic!
    +3
    YOU SOOOO SAID IT RIGHT!

That's why I;m Pagan.
  • Scott ヶ... Lady Wh... 2010/10/22 17:13:51
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    +2
    What sort of pagan?
  • Lady Wh... Scott ヶ... 2010/10/22 18:39:06
    +1
    Pagan with the beliefs of my Cherokee Ancestors mixed together.
  • Rusty Shackelford 2010/10/22 15:11:46
    Rusty Shackelford
    +7
    The Church is probably to blame for that. Though I'm pretty sure Jesus and his Dad's mood swings don't help.
  • gfreema... Rusty S... 2010/10/22 16:29:26
    gfreeman BN-0
    +5
    We should shoot Zoloft into the clouds.
  • Rusty S... gfreema... 2010/10/22 16:34:25
    Rusty Shackelford
    +4
    Brilliant! What would be a proper dosage for a deity?
  • gfreema... Rusty S... 2010/10/25 13:03:26
    gfreeman BN-0
    +1
    1 BILLION GRAMS!
  • Lady Wh... gfreema... 2010/10/22 18:39:49
    +2
    Lolz! Prozac, maybe?? **snerk**
  • Lady Wh... Rusty S... 2010/10/22 18:39:27
    +3
    priceless! lolz!
  • Max7 2010/10/22 15:10:38
    Max7
    +1
    Whoever posted that picture is not God Fearing and probably don't even believe in God. If they believed in Him they would never have posted such a picture, because they would be God Fearing. He is not one to be mocked! Most Christians are God Fearing.
  • Big C 2010/10/22 15:06:22 (edited)
    Big C
    +2
    The same people who fear him are the same people who beleive in him, just in case he/she/it put them on the eternal naughty step that is called Hell (but doesn't someone else look after that place?)

Looks like a conspiracy to me!
  • SJG 2010/10/22 13:56:37
    SJG
    +4
    GOD fearing people are usually those who can't think for themselves!!
  • Lady Wh... SJG 2010/10/22 16:15:34
    +1
    SO true!
  • Leeaqua 2010/10/22 13:54:55
    Leeaqua
    +2
    Fear keeps the populace in line - It keeps the Rethugs ticking . Bush & Cheney were masters of instilling fear so they would get appointed a second time .
  • Lady Wh... Leeaqua 2010/10/22 16:15:48
  • bags 2010/10/22 13:43:46
    bags
    +1
    My daughter is approaching middle age now, my oldest Gk's are in their late teens.....and no one has any kind of police record. Only the two GS's haven't graduated HS, as they are too young. They're all into sports. My daughter and SIL work long, hard hours. My family neither drinks nor does drugs, nor do we use corporal punishment, or allow it to be used, on the kids. I am forever being complimented on how well behaved and well spoken they are. I never said they went without being punished.....only that corporal punishment was never employed.
  • danielria 2010/10/22 12:53:34
    danielria
    +1
    Because we think that we will be burning in hell for all eternity. That's just a myth conjured up by Catholics. If God is love, then why would he burn people for all eternity?
  • Allegra... danielria 2010/10/23 02:53:09
    Allegra Baker
    God loves everyone. But the condition is, He sent His son to die for us so that we could have the opportunity to go to Heaven and be with Him. NONE of us should be able to go to heaven, none of us are worthy enough to get to heaven. Catholicism is a joke and it is pure religion that lacks substance. The only way we get to heaven is simply believing that Jesus died on the cross for our sins. You don't have to be a good person to go to heaven! You just have to Admit that Jesus died on the cross, believe that and confess that we don't deserve His mercy. Listen, this is truth no matter what you think! I am here to make some people mad, so let it be!
  • danielria Allegra... 2010/10/23 02:59:32
    danielria
    I believe that you must be a good person. Love everyone even if they are wrong. Don't judge people for being different, just care for them the same. I'm not saying that we should love rapists or murders, but I feel that we should feel some sympathy for any lost soul...
    I can't go murder my neighbor and believe that I will simply be with God just because I believe in him..That make s no sense to me. Love and caring for fellow man is what God wants out of us. To treat our neighbors, brothers, and sisters like we would want to be treated. God is Love. And if we lack that love for everyone, we can't love God. Therefore, we should not expect to be in his kingdom......
  • SABLE 2010/10/22 10:32:11
    SABLE
    I don't fear God, I love God. He is who I worship and who I go to when I am happy, sad, or in trouble or if I have a problem. He is my Heavenly Father. Your picture is a sin. To portray this great and kind man this way is blasphemy.
  • Lady Wh... SABLE 2010/10/22 16:17:01
    +2
    oh PUH-LEEZE.....
  • ANZ 2010/10/22 10:16:07
    ANZ
    Hell
  • humdrum 2010/10/22 07:28:54
    humdrum
    +1
    I feel I fear God, but I am not afraid of him. I fear hurting or disappointing him, just like I wouldn't want to hurt or disappoint a loved one.

2014/11/26 02:57:14