Who's your favourite Author?

FunnyLittleNightmare 2012/08/11 18:05:40
Related Topics: Author, Book
And what's your favourite book from them?

• MusicMan 2012/09/10 18:17:45
    MusicMan
    T. S. Eliot
  • Serenity the goth. 2012/08/14 02:37:45
    Serenity the goth.
    +1
    I have several R.L.Stine,Lynsay Sands,and Lisa Plumley. http://cd.pbsstatic.com/l/87/... Lynsay Sands books Lynsay Sands books Lisa Plumley books Lisa Plumley books
  • moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust" 2012/08/13 16:06:33
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +2
    It would be between Tami Hoag and Tess Gerritsen.
  • Little Miss Monster 2012/08/12 03:36:50
    Little Miss Monster
    +1
    My favorite authors are: H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe, Guillermo del Toro, Jennifer Rardin, Algernon Blackwood, and John Ajvide Lindqvist.

The Night Eternal
    Bitten to Death jennifer rardin
    Handling the Undead
  • JohnT 2012/08/12 03:07:14
    JohnT
    +1
    John Sandford Mystery writer. My favorite by him would be Winter Prey.
  • Elz 2012/08/12 01:53:35
    Elz
    +2
    i don't read a lot of books but i like Stephen King and Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven.
  • Teresa 2012/08/12 00:35:25
    Teresa
    +1
    chacal city dead ken

and many, many others
  • Raphy 2012/08/12 00:21:46
    Raphy
    +1
    Timothy Zahn is one of my favorite writers. He pays attention to detail in his writing writer timothy zahn
  • beachbum 2012/08/11 23:39:25 (edited)
    beachbum
    +1
    Daniel Silva
    The English Assassin
  • Marianne™ 2012/08/11 23:37:53
  • moorrbr... Marianne™ 2012/08/13 16:05:52
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +1
    "The Stand" would have to be my favorite from him. My daughter's are afraid of clowns to this day from watching the movie "It" with me when they were young. lol
  • Marianne™ moorrbr... 2012/08/13 16:12:57
  • moorrbr... Marianne™ 2012/08/13 16:27:40
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +1
    Yeah. And many of his movies don't have very good actors. His books are much better.
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/08/11 23:16:33
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    David Baldacci The Camel Club
  • Angela Chambers 2012/08/11 22:11:53
    Angela Chambers
    +1
    Dean Koontz:

Life Expectancy

Life Expectancy is a novel by suspense/horror writer Dean R. Koontz. The plot centers on five pivotal moments in the life of a self-proclaimed "lummox" named James "Jimmy" Tock.
    [edit]Plot summary

This article's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. Please help improve it by removing unnecessary details and making it more concise. (December 2008)
    James Tock was born on a stormy night in Snow County Hospital in Colorado...and at the exact moment his grandfather, Josef Tock, a pastry chef, dies of a stroke. Though crippled by a stroke earlier in the week, moments before his death, Josef recovers miraculously to impart on his son Rudy ten cryptic predictions: the boy would be born at 10:46 PM, weigh 8 pounds, 10 ounces, be 20 inches long and be born with syndactyly. Josef also predicts five terrible days to come in his grandson's life. He names each, though not why they are so terrible, and Rudy dutifully notes them on the back of a free circus pass given to him by a police officer friend. Coherent though bizarre his speech may be, Josef Tock does not recover from his event, but expires right when the baby is born.
    Earlier in the evening, Rudy Tock made the acquaintance of a strange man, Konrad Beezo. Beezo is a clown for the very...

Dean Koontz:

Life Expectancy

[edit]Plot summary

Earlier in the evening, Rudy Tock made the acquaintance of a strange man, Konrad Beezo. Beezo is a clown for the very circus Tock's pass is for, and is a fitful, spiteful, creepy, chain smoking individual half in his clown costume. His wife Natalie, a trapeze artist of some renown and born of a good family, is lying in childbirth, says he, and her relatives have virtually disowned her for marrying him. He speaks glowingly of his soon-to-be-born son, who is to be named "Punchinello", and will carry on the fine tradition of clowning. He speaks venomously of his father-in-law, using many colorful epithets.
    Tock is only too grateful to leave Beezo and attend to his father...however, the grief for his father's death was short-lived. Beezo, upon learning Natalie died in childbirth, goes insane ranting about her family sending assassins to kill her and begins shooting, killing a doctor and a nurse. Tock, in perhaps the one moment of heroism in his meek baker's life, convinces the mad clown his enemies have left, and momentarily quells his anger. Beezo leaves, his son Punchinello swaddled in his arms... but drops a cliffhanger: "I'll never forget you, Rudy Tock. Never."
    As his late grandfather predicted, Jimmy Tock is twenty inches long, 8 lb. 10 oz, and has syndactyly; a fusing of the digits at birth a problem that is corrected with minor surgery.
    Jimmy Tock writes the book, a loose autobiography of personal experience, reminisces, and second- or even third-hand accounts of events, transcribing it from a series of tapes on the eve of his fifth and final terrible day. The narrative is given in an often self-deprecating, comically understated manner. However, certain experiences stand out starkly, most noticeably blundering into a harrowing, yet almost surreal, bank robbery by a trio of plastique-wielding crazed history buff clowns led by none other than Punchinello Beezo--in which Jimmy gradually realizes he's falling for a comely fellow hostage (on the first predicted date)--and a dangerous game of chicken with a severely disturbed stalker on an icy road the night his wife Lorrie--the former fellow hostage--is about to deliver their first child (on the second predicted date). The man after the Tocks is none other than Konrad Beezo himself, looking for retribution for his imprisoned, and accidentally-gelded son. His mad obsession with the family frames both this terrible day (2) and the next predicted day (3)--for Beezo desires a male Tock child as his prize, a new son to raise in the fine clown tradition. The lunatic will do whatever he must to collect what he believes due him, including numerous facial reconstructive surgeries to assume new identities and escape the grasp of the law. Jimmy believes that everyone in the world is tenebrously yet inexorably connected to one another, just as his toes were at birth. This phenomenon is often called "Six degrees of separation".(4)--Punchinello, who is currently imprisoned, is asked by Jimmy and Lorrie, who aided in his conviction and sentencing, to donate one of his kidneys to help save the life of Annie Tock, the daughter of Jimmy and Lorrie. Punchinello only agrees to the donation in return for multiple favors that are frivolous by comparison to the precious kidney. As the deal is about to be complete, Punchinello asks that Jimmy kills Virgilio Vivacemente as one last favor. The ensuing chapter(s) are picked up by Lorrie, and as he prepares to face the last of his five labors, Jimmy reflects on the writing at the bottom of that thirty-year-old ticket on which his life was mapped out: "PREPARE TO BE ENCHANTED!", and all the meanings those four red words hold, with both hope and trepidation.
    As the prophecies are fulfilled one by one, and he survives each, Jimmy learns many things about himself--as well as Konrad, Natalie, Punchinello, and Konrad's father-in-law, Virgilio Vivacemente, the vain, sadistic patriarch of the world-famous acrobatic clan who casts his long shadow over the lives of both the Tocks and the Beezos. Some of Jimmy's revelations are beautiful; others fearsome; still others shake his meek, lumbering pastry chef's life to the foundation and cause him to reflect on the true meaning of syndactyly--as both an ailment and a life's philosophy.
  • LoverDearest 2012/08/11 21:53:05
    LoverDearest
    +2
    J.K Rowling
    Oscar Wilde-The Picture of Dorian Gray
    John Steinbeck-Of Mice and Men and Cannery Row
    Stephan King- The Stand
    The Brothers Grimm- Snow White and Rose Red
    Edgar Allan Poe- The Fall of the House of Usher
    Ransom Riggs- Miss. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    +2
    I have several, not necessarily in this order.

Issac Asimov, Everything he ever wrote I think I have a copy of and have read
    Robert Heinlein, Ditto including the novel "For Us The Living"
    Aurthur C Clarke, Ditto again
    Larry Niven, Ringworld series especially
    E.E. "Doc" Smith (Lensman series),
    Jean Auel (Clan of the CaveBear series),
    W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear ((The First North Americans Series)

Almost all of the Star Trek novels (all series's) and Star Wars Novels as well.
    And of course J.R.Tolkien novels to.

Of course there are many more
  • santa6642 2012/08/11 21:30:31
    santa6642
    +1
    Dean Koontx , among many others.
  • wildcat 2012/08/11 21:28:00
    wildcat
    +2
    Richard Peck "A Long Way from Chicago"

Richard Peck  A Long Way from Chicago
  • Rocky 2012/08/11 21:12:58 (edited)
    Rocky
    +2
    F. Scott Fitzgerald The Great Gatsby The Great Gastby
  • Me & Alfonz :3 2012/08/11 20:50:48
    Me & Alfonz :3
    +2
    JK Rowling (Harry Potter Series)
    harry potter series
    Lemony Snicket (Series Of Unfortunate Events)
    series of unfortunate events books
    and so many more!
  • Merry Me & Al... 2012/08/11 23:48:06
    Merry
    +2
    A Series of Unfortunate Events was great! Somehow the whole thing felt so weirdly real.
  • Me & Al... Merry 2012/08/12 00:36:21
    Me & Alfonz :3
    +2
    i know right! Lemony did an incredible job! :)
  • Flamingolady 2012/08/11 20:48:01
    Flamingolady
    +1
    Wilbur Smith, and my favorite book is The Seventh Scroll. There is a prequel to this novel, River God that is very interesting and sets up the much later adventure story. It really is better than an Indiana Jones adventure!
  • Merry 2012/08/11 20:42:26
    Merry
    +2
    J.K. Rowling
  • pig soda 2012/08/11 20:31:54
    pig soda
    +1
    Um I go through books like most people go through meals so I don't have a favourite book or author.
  • Donishka 2012/08/11 19:30:17
  • Merry Donishka 2012/08/11 20:32:44
    Merry
    +2
    Really? Fifty Shades of Grey? :/
  • Donishka Merry 2012/08/11 22:14:47
    Donishka
    +1
    Definatly.
  • Merry Donishka 2012/08/11 23:43:04
    Merry
    +2
    I picked it up in the store and tried to read it, but it was just so bad. I'm not really squeamish about the whole BDSM thing; it's just that the writing made me cringe. You can definitely tell that it had its beginnings on Fanfiction.net. The writing, the plot, the characters, the sex scenes... all in all, I thought it was a pretty poor excuse for literature. Definitely not something you'd expect to see as the #1 New York Times bestseller. But to each his own, I guess.
  • Transquesta 2012/08/11 19:12:38
    Transquesta
    +1
    Scott Peck.
    Graham Hancock
    Dean Koontz
    Stephen King.
  • Happy 2012/08/11 19:00:04
    Happy
    +1
    George R.R. Martin.
    a song of ice and fire series
  • GANGA~Patriotic Revolution ... 2012/08/11 18:48:31
  • PumpkinMuncher 2012/08/11 18:46:13
    PumpkinMuncher
    +1
    Stephen King The Stand
  • SavingPeopleHuntingThings 2012/08/11 18:45:27
  • Jan 2012/08/11 18:44:56
    Jan
    +2
    A MUST READ for everyone is a book called 'Not Without My Daughter' by Betty Mahmoody and William Hoffer. A true story that will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It is so harrowing yet a truly brave account of how a woman escaped her cruel Iranian husband.
  • pig soda Jan 2012/08/11 20:27:18
    pig soda
    +1
    I've seen the film. Not a great adaption if the book really is that good. It put me off reading it.
  • Jan pig soda 2012/08/11 20:34:41
    Jan
    +1
    I found the first few chapters hard going but the more I read the less I wanted to put the book down. I think that with a book your imagination tells you what it is like whereas in a film it is someone elses imaginings. I read The Lovely Bones but didn't like the film because it wasn't anything like I had pictured it in my mind. To be truthful I seldom find the films are anything near as good as the books.
  • pig soda Jan 2012/08/11 20:40:25
    pig soda
    +1
    I agree you are obviously an avid reader too! much was left out of the lovely bones and the actors just didn't fit the parts right but as you said I'm not aware of any movie that has lived up to its literary double:)
  • Jan pig soda 2012/08/11 20:49:29
    Jan
    +1
    Yes, you're right, I am an avid reader and always have been. In fact I even take my kindle to the dentist surgery etc. rather than flip through all the well thumbed magazines on the tables. lol I can never get to sleep without reading for a while first.

2014/08/23 19:57:29