Who's got more Holiday spirit: the Tulsa woman with 169 Christmas trees or the Seattle dad who gives his kids experiences instead of gifts?

ABC News U.S. 2012/12/07 20:44:48
A woman in Tulsa has 169 Christmas trees. A dad in Seattle gives his kids experiences instead of gifts. But who has more holiday spirit?

christmas tree

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/okla...

• Todd Parsons 2012/12/08 02:58:24
    Seattle! A simple celebration can be cheaper, better for the environment and ...
    Todd Parsons
    +5
    The fact that the father spends his time with his family and does things to bond with his family is far more of the spirit than a bunch of material objects like trees

• jennifer 2012/12/11 13:01:16
    jennifer
    I tell my husband that this holiday is about being with family. It is the only day of the year when everything goes still. Remember when stores were closed on Sundays? I find it upsetting now our Thanksgiving holiday is swallowed up as stores now open the night of Thanksgiving for the "best deals". Do we have to make a law against shopping on Thanksgiving to remind Americans this is a special holiday just we share? Good for you dad in Seattle!
  • FatherLiberty 2012/12/10 17:25:14
    FatherLiberty
    The father is creative and understands the real purpose of the holiday. The woman has some issues that she isnt dealing with. She is escaping something with trees (and I dont mean marijuana).
  • PapaBC 2012/12/10 17:21:50
    Tie! Holiday spirit is whatever it means to you as an individual.
    PapaBC
    Christmas should not be about the gifts.. Should be about Family...
  • Avi Rosen 2012/12/10 15:28:27
    Avi Rosen
    Depends on the people
  • QC 2012/12/10 14:47:27
    QC
    Holidays are about your traditions, not somebody else's traditions...
  • ms jones 2012/12/10 14:39:20
    ms jones
    Enough said!
  • CielPhantomhive.BN-0 2012/12/10 14:22:25
    CielPhantomhive.BN-0
    Who buys 169 Christmas trees? It's a waste of space and money. I would much rather have a life lesson. This is why I hate Christmas celebration.
  • Red 2012/12/09 22:39:38
  • cali 2012/12/09 20:10:14
  • E. Norma Stits 2012/12/09 18:47:24
    E. Norma Stits
    +1
    This year I'm giving out Ann Coulter's new book "MUGGED".
    year ann coulters book mugged
  • RubenRibnik 2012/12/09 18:15:04
    RubenRibnik
    don't show me how much money you have, show me what kind of human being you are...
  • ladyvoldemort 2012/12/09 16:55:20
    ladyvoldemort
    +1
    I prefer experiences over material gifts, because I won't have crap laving around in my room. Last year for Christmas, I went to Minnesota during spring break for my big Christmas present.
  • [insert witty moniker here] 2012/12/09 12:08:02
    [insert witty moniker here]
    +3
    People are so damn silly...
  • El Prez 2012/12/09 10:02:05
    El Prez
    +1
    Sometimes our myths and traditions are all we have holding us together. it doesn't mean we have to do things all the same, just do it your way!!!
  • baxter 2012/12/09 09:11:31
    Tulsa! Christmas is a time to go all out and have fun.
    baxter
    A Chrismas is a time 4 joy and fun
  • kobidobidog 2012/12/09 06:28:20
    kobidobidog
    +1
    The person with those Christmas trees is an idol worshiper like I have never seen.
  • Ramón 2012/12/09 05:04:49
    Ramón
    +2
    ...but what about Chanukah?
  • I NEED A HORSE 2012/12/09 02:22:39
  • democoach I NEED ... 2012/12/09 07:28:35
    democoach
    +1
    destroying christmas is for liberals, fascsis, and commies
  • I NEED ... democoach 2012/12/09 13:19:19
  • democoach I NEED ... 2012/12/09 15:54:32
    democoach
    what was yours in yor first post?
  • I NEED ... democoach 2012/12/09 16:36:28
  • sundance I NEED ... 2012/12/09 17:22:40
    sundance
    Valid point...
  • Mishka I NEED ... 2012/12/10 15:05:38
    Mishka
    Maybe in the West, but there are still many places where Christmas is celebrated as it should be.
  • Lee 2012/12/09 00:06:10
    Lee
    Christmas will always be Christmas, doesn't matter what you give & it doesn't matter how you decorate.
  • Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/12/08 18:48:02
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    I might've known this little subliminal piece of lefist propaganda came from ABC News. Many people are too poor to celebrate Christmas this year, thanks to Scrooge Obama but those that still can afford to shouldn't be made to feel guilty about it.
  • Srztanjur Aqua Su... 2012/12/08 23:23:53
    Srztanjur
    +3
    How is this a "little subliminal piece of leftist propaganda"? And /must/ everything come back to Obama with you people?
  • Aqua Su... Srztanjur 2012/12/08 23:51:08
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    You don't know what the word means, do you? Hint: it doesn't mean enjoyable or pleasant, that is "sublime". Go get your dictionary and look it up, then you'll get it. Unless you're the product of a Marxist university, then I can't help you. Everything comes back to Obama because he's made it his business to interfere with every aspect of our lives and for the worse. YOU PEOPLE? Don't you know that term is poltically incorrect? Really amusing, your post.
  • BobbyOu... Aqua Su... 2012/12/09 00:09:25
    BobbyOuroboros
    +1
    Yes you people. What is this obsession you have with the President?
  • Srztanjur Aqua Su... 2012/12/09 00:26:22 (edited)
    Srztanjur
    +2
    "You don't know what the word means, do you? Hint: it doesn't mean enjoyable or pleasant, that is "sublime". Go get your dictionary and look it up, then you'll get it. Unless you're the product of a Marxist university, then I can't help you."

Yeah, I know. "Subliminal" has nothing to do with the word "sublime." Sub - is a prefix that means "beneath," and "limin" comes from the latin word for "threashold." The word's etymology literally breaks down to: relating to (-al) [being] below (sub-) the threshold (liminal.) Sublime comes form the latin word "sublimis" which means "uplifted, high, lofty."

Furthermore, here are the dictionary definitions:
    sub·lime [suh-blahym] adjective
    1. elevated or lofty in thought, language, etc.: Paradise Lost is sublime poetry.
    2. impressing the mind with a sense of grandeur or power; inspiring awe, veneration, etc.: Switzerland has sublime scenery.
    3. supreme or outstanding: a sublime dinner.
    4. complete; absolute; utter: sublime stupidity.

sub·lim·i·nal [suhb-lim-uh-nl] adjective, Psychology .
    existing or operating below the threshold of consciousness; being or employing stimuli insufficiently intense to produce a discrete sensation but often being or designed to be intense enough to influence the mental processes or the behavior of the individual: a su...

sub·lime [suh-blahym] adjective

existing or operating below the threshold of consciousness; being or employing stimuli insufficiently intense to produce a discrete sensation but often being or designed to be intense enough to influence the mental processes or the behavior of the individual: a subliminal stimulus; subliminal advertising.

So, am I now to understand that being educated about the origin and meaning of words is also a Marxist conspiracy to make me unwilling to accept the inherent truth in your words of wisdom?

But with that irrelevant piece of tripe out of the way, I ask, again, now that we know the /correct/ definition of subliminal, how this is a "little subliminal piece of leftist propaganda."

"Everything comes back to Obama because he's made it his business to interfere with every aspect of our lives and for the worse."

Yeah, that's what a lot of mad dog conspiracy theorists say, but will you be the first person with this opinion that actually has an argument to back it up?

"YOU PEOPLE? Don't you know that term is poltically incorrect?"

Yeah, "politically incorrect" is a term invoked only by people who do not know what it actually means. It has no place in this conversation, or do you presume to suppose that I mean something discriminatory by "you people"? It would only be so convenient for you if that were true, for whatever need of argument it would spare you. But, unfortunately for you, when I said "you people" I was referring to people, who, like yourself, espouse wild conspiracy theories, and pin anything and everything negative they can on Obama's shirt.

"Really amusing, your post."

Yours less so. It shows how much the sociological illness that grips so much of the country has progressed, and demonstrates how powerful misleading and outright false yellow variety journalism truly is.
  • sundance Srztanjur 2012/12/09 17:25:55 (edited)
    sundance
    +1
    Nicely put. A bit of a diatribe, but never the less, well stated....Just a thought...

PS...I was hoping you would hand that pompous jerk her ass on a stick...Thanks
  • Shawna Srztanjur 2012/12/10 03:25:11
  • sundance Aqua Su... 2012/12/09 17:19:54
    sundance
    +1
    This begs a question. To whom do you lay the blame, when finally Obama is gone? Srztanjur's point (eloquent or not) was to emphasize how pathetic you, (and your ilk) sound, blaming all your problems on a temporary villain. Oh yes. And to point out that decadence and waste are unnecessary, always touches the nerve of those with the biggest investment. I would dare point out the simple point that many were poor, and without Christmas, long before Obama....Just a thought...

PS...Your definition of "sublime" is correct. However, were you as educated as you boast, you would have known it to be completely out of context...
  • Aqua Su... sundance 2012/12/11 13:16:38 (edited)
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    Tell your overbloated rant to the millions of kids who will have no Christmas this because of YOUR GREAT DICKTATOR. You libs have as much caring and heart as a piece of raw bacon.
  • sundance Aqua Su... 2012/12/11 17:02:00 (edited)
    sundance
    Dodged that one didn't you? Passing the buck, is becoming the gold standard, for you truth dodging, responsibility fearing folks, isn't it?
    I would further with this.....
    Should you decide to wield "guilt", as your big stick, you might want to wear gloves. That way, you don't get your own hands covered with the same crap your tryin to sell here...Just a thought...
  • remy Aqua Su... 2012/12/10 14:00:37
    remy
    So YOUR problem with Christmas is Obama???
  • Aqua Su... remy 2012/12/11 13:10:41
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    And I suppose you are going to blame Bush.
  • remy Aqua Su... 2012/12/11 14:18:05
    remy
    For what?
  • sundance remy 2012/12/11 17:05:09
    sundance
    Her problem isn't with Obama, nearly as much as it is with avoiding the truth....
  • remy sundance 2012/12/11 18:14:18
    remy
    You may be right~

2014/04/20 13:31:04