Who "Invented" Heavy Metal?

Julieann 2011/03/18 19:19:56
METAL FOR LIFE
Related Topics: Metallica
There's no right answer here. But the most popular opinion is that metal originated in Great Britain with Judas Priest, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath.

Is that true? Or did it originate elsewhere? Without American metal (i.e. Metallica, and the various Glam metal bands of the 80's) would metal be as popular as it is today?

• Adrian1265 2012/04/06 08:00:47 (edited)
    Adrian1265
    +1
    My version: Black Sabbath started Heavy Metal, Judas Priest Pioneered it (along with Iron Maiden and a few other bands)

Metallica (all of the big 4 actually) along with Overkill --> big Pioneers of Thrash Metal

Venom --> Started Black Metal, Bathory --> Pioneer

Death --> Fathers of Death Metal

That's what I can be (almost) sure of.
    Side-note: Thrash Metal was an influence to Death Metal and Black Metal
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2011/11/30 21:45:30
    ✞Knight of Honor
    I would say that it started with Cream, which Black Sabbath stated was their main influence. Then the Jimi Hendrix Experience invented crazy guitar solos which became very mainstream in the 80s, mainly because of Iron Maiden. Steppenwolf's hard rock song Born to Be Wild actually had lyrics saying "Heavy Metal", but really their only contribution was influencing Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin started the darker sound, mystical themes, and wall of sound. Black Sabbath used these elements and formed the first Heavy Metal Band.
  • tootien 2011/04/14 01:25:26
    tootien
    Well, whether he likes it or not, I say Ozzie O. is the godfather...only my humble opinion
  • SpyderX 2011/03/21 13:52:18
    SpyderX
    I believe the genre actually began in America around '65 with bands such as Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, The Vanilla Fudge, Electric Flag, etc. It was an offshoot of the "Psychedelic" Rock movement.

The term "Heavy Metal", however, used in a cultural reference (in contrast to metallurgy, where it's been used for centuries), was from a 1962 Burroughs novel in which one of the characters, who was considered a "downer", was nicknamed The Heavy Metal Kid.

Iron Butterfly's first album, released in early 1968, was entitled "Heavy", while at the same time Steppenwolf released their single "Born To Be Wild", which contained the lyric line "...heavy metal thunder...", in reference to motorcycles.

The first known use in print was the May, 1968 issue of Rolling Stone mag, in which a reviewer referred to an Electric Flag (an American band) album as being a "synthesis of white blues and heavy metal rock."

Led Zeppelin's music was compared to the music of American bands Vanilla Fudge and Blue Cheer a short time later, and deemed as "heavy" as the American bands were.

BTW, although I would certainly argue that Black Sabbath PERFECTED the essence of Heavy Metal, they most certainly did NOT invent it (neither did any other British band). In fact, Black Sabbath's first (self-titled) albu...

BTW, although I would certainly argue that Black Sabbath PERFECTED the essence of Heavy Metal, they most certainly did NOT invent it (neither did any other British band). In fact, Black Sabbath's first (self-titled) album was not released until early 1970, and the term "Heavy Metal" had been in use (in print) for at least two years prior to that.

And that concludes the History lesson for today.... ;-)
  • Julieann SpyderX 2011/03/21 20:12:09
    Julieann
    +1
    That's awesome! How do you know so much? I saw a VH1 Rock Docs episode last night of the history of heavy metal and I hope I can catch it again.

I am really interested in the history of metal. The only thing that I don't like is all the sub-genres of metal. There is such a huge difference between some of them that I think they can be seperated completely. Like Glam metal versus death metal. I don't really think of Motley Crue and Poison as metal bands. To me they are hard rock, one level below anything that I would consider heavy metal.

And that concludes my two cents for the day....;o)
  • SpyderX Julieann 2011/03/21 22:35:09 (edited)
    SpyderX
    I've been a Metalhead since before Metal was even created. When I was a small child I loved the bombastic works of Wagner, Grieg, and other "heavy" composers from the Classical and Romantic periods. As I and Rock music grew up together, the music became heavier and heavier (which I loved), until it morphed into "Heavy Metal".

I agree that the number of sub-genres tends to get a bit confusing at times, but that's because we humans tend to over-analyze things. To me, like yourself, Metal is Metal, period. I can't actually define it, but I know it when I hear it.

And, no, Glam Metal is NOT Metal. As you stated, at it's best it is simply Hard Rock, and at it's worst it's not even that.

If you're a true Metalhead, have a listen to these:

http://www.looperman.com/trac...

http://www.looperman.com/trac...

http://www.looperman.com/trac...

http://www.looperman.com/trac...

Just click a link and hit "Play Track".
  • Julieann SpyderX 2011/03/23 13:17:03
    Julieann
    +1
    I am so happy that I found you!!!! And thank you for turning me on to Looperman. That's a great website. And I love SpyderX.

And I know that Metal is hard to define. I've been trying in the last several months to do just that -- define this genre of music. But it is difficult. But like you, I know it when I hear it. On the flip side, I know when its not when I hear it too.

Thank you again SpyderX!
  • Poet003 SpyderX 2011/03/28 23:50:40
    Poet003
    +1
    I agree with that but I must add that some say Link Wray invented the power chord.If so heavy metal
    owed him big time.
  • Poet003 Poet003 2011/03/28 23:51:19
  • Poet003 Poet003 2011/03/28 23:51:51
  • Julieann Poet003 2011/03/29 14:12:42
    Julieann
    +1
    I can see where heavy metal may have matured and grown from artists like Link Wray. Especially too, the heavy presence of bass. That's a heavy metal trademark as well as the power chord.
  • SpyderX Poet003 2011/03/29 13:01:40
    SpyderX
    +1
    A "power chord" is simply a perfect fifth played over the tonic, a technique which has been used since the advent of the Pythagorean-tempered scale, circa 570 B.C.E.

Of course, "playing fifths" doesn't sound very good on any scale except the equal-tempered one, so it wasn't a popular technique until the advent of that scale, which was sometime in the 1500's.
  • Julieann SpyderX 2011/03/29 14:10:45
    Julieann
    +2
    Great comments SpyderX and Poet003!
  • SpyderX Julieann 2011/03/30 10:56:35
    SpyderX
    Why, thank you, my friend....
  • Poet003 SpyderX 2011/03/29 16:35:24
    Poet003
    +1
    The Doors and Can started a kind of heavy sound in the 60s.Led Zepplin made that heavier.
    Finally Black Sabbath arrived.
  • Poet003 Poet003 2011/03/29 16:35:52
  • Poet003 Poet003 2011/03/29 16:36:53
  • SpyderX Poet003 2011/03/30 11:24:26 (edited)
    SpyderX
    +1
    Well, I'm a big fan of The Doors (and Can also, but to a somewhat lesser degree), and while I agree that some of their work was a bit on the "heavy" side, they didn't come close to being as heavy as Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly, Electric Flag, and The Vanilla Fudge, IMHO. Those four bands really started it all.

And this is guitar virtuoso Mike Bloomfield's first band: the Electric Flag.

• Mopvyzo 2011/03/21 09:22:38
    Mopvyzo

Most metalheads know it was BLACK SABBATH.
  • carlton999 2011/03/19 01:13:10
    carlton999
    Black Sabbath was the first metal band but they didnt call their music metal. A writer for a music magazine penned the term "Heavy Metal" when he did wrote a review of Black Sabbaths first album. he said their music reminded him of Heavy Metal.

my story is not exact but Ive watched Behind the Music on VH1 a lot and this is the story they tell on the birth of Heavy Metal.
  • AK 2011/03/18 20:42:06
    AK
    I agree with it being Black Sabbath, but I don't really know. I'm just glad it was "invented" otherwise the music scene would be pretty dull. The way metal has evolved over the past 30 some years has just been amazing...IMHO
  • Julieann AK 2011/03/18 20:49:52
    Julieann
    I agree with how metal has evolved. It was fairly simple 30 years ago when compared to today's metal.
  • Rakohammas 2011/03/18 19:45:29
    Rakohammas
    +2
    for me Black Sabbath...they were new and original.
  • Met 2011/03/18 19:43:36
    Met
    +1
    It all started with the blues of Southern USA. Jimmi page will even tell you they were just doing their own version of southern rock from america.

It's music that makes you feel better about having negative emotions... as it evolved it got heavier and darker.
  • tom C 2011/03/18 19:30:07 (edited)
    tom  C
    +1
    zepplin started moving rock in a metal direction then sabbath...then mettalica..
  • My2cents4HeIsPreator 2011/03/18 19:23:00
    My2cents4HeIsPreator
    Errrr..Satan?
  • Met My2cent... 2011/03/18 19:44:30
  • My2cent... Met 2011/03/18 19:45:40
  • Julieann My2cent... 2011/03/18 19:47:13

2014/10/23 08:20:35