When lightning strikes the ocean why don't all the fish die?

jt 2010/05/19 15:42:32

• Pele Emerging 2010/05/20 01:25:14
    Pele Emerging
    +4
    Not bein a scientist, but being someone absolutely addicted to research (love the internet), I decided to see what I could find out about this. I found several different things, including a storm tracking site from NASA. This article says it well, however. Here's a link, and then an excerpt from the article itself: http://marinebiologyoceanogra...

Do Fish Die From Lightning Strikes?

Since lightning tends to spread along the surface of the ocean, where humans swim, it’s best for people to leave the water. Fish are generally found deeper in the ocean where the electric current is less likely to catch them, however a fish unfortunate enough to be at the surface close to a lightning bolt would most certainly be fried. NOAA’s National Severe Storms Laboratory notes in its “About Lightning…FAQ” page that lightning can penetrate a short distance into the water and kill fish nearby. Martin Uman of the University of Florida’s electrical and engineering department says the danger zone for fish is 10 to 20 feet down, as referenced in the MSN Encarta column “Martha Talks Back” by Martha Brockenborough. Ultimately, the answer to the question “Does lightning kill fish?” is – occasionally, but not often.

Read more at Suite101: Does Lightning Kill Fish?: How Lightning Strikes Affect Mar...

Do Fish Die From Lightning Strikes?

Read more at Suite101: Does Lightning Kill Fish?: How Lightning Strikes Affect Marine Creatures http://marinebiologyoceanogra...

• karen 2010/05/22 15:39:23
    karen
    hmmm thats a good question that i have no idea what the answer is.... i think ima ask my science teacher...
  • ch0c0l4tt3 2010/05/22 01:37:00
    ch0c0l4tt3
    because fish are electricity proof
    fish electricity proof
    fish electricity proof

lol idk
  • brian8139 2010/05/21 20:39:50
    brian8139
    good question
  • Kela ~ In Lady Gaga I Trust <3 2010/05/21 11:26:45
    Kela ~ In Lady Gaga I Trust <3
    IDK??? Because they don't feel like it xP
  • Crankney - PKM 2010/05/20 14:32:22
    Crankney - PKM
    Crap, next the feds are gonna put a cap and tax on lightning!
  • Isma'ila (God has heard)! 2010/05/20 08:30:44
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    +1
    I have not Idea. That is a good question though.
  • Grissom 2010/05/20 08:25:54
    Grissom
    too many.
  • Leo --Name Subject 2 Change-- 2010/05/20 06:40:20
    Leo --Name Subject 2 Change--
    wow. that is a reaaallly good question. i've never thought of that.
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2010/05/20 05:32:37
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    The ocean is too big. Most of the electricity loses most of its power on the waters surface. What is left is dissapated through the entire water. Those very close to it and close to the surface are fried but those farther away or deeper in the water are spared.
  • moomoof 2010/05/20 03:44:02
    moomoof
    because they know not to be at the surface
  • dmac 2010/05/20 03:42:03
    dmac
    I have no idea but I'm going to read some of the answers and learn something.
  • ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥ 2010/05/20 02:43:02
    ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥
    when eels shock a fish to eat why dont all the fish die?
  • <3 Karz <3 2010/05/20 02:40:39
    <3 Karz <3
    u r smart boy real smart
  • Pele Emerging 2010/05/20 01:25:14
    Pele Emerging
    +4

Do Fish Die From Lightning Strikes?

Do Fish Die From Lightning Strikes?

• Bob, th... Pele Em... 2010/05/20 02:20:00
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +1
    Good Research!!! :)
  • dmac Pele Em... 2010/05/20 03:44:52
    dmac
    +1
    Thank You. I had no idea and you filled in beautifully.
  • 아만다 ♥ AMANDA 2010/05/19 23:54:28
    아만다 ♥ AMANDA
    I used to wonder that.
  • smileyseven 2010/05/19 23:48:30
    smileyseven
    i asked my teacher this question....he said some do but its not enough focus or something to kill all of them
  • Russ 2010/05/19 23:29:25
    Russ
    The current dissipates too quickly to harm any but the closest fish. A shark swimming within 5 feet or so of the strike would, most likely, be toast.
  • GoreGirl 2010/05/19 22:38:33
    GoreGirl
    because lighting strikes up not down and is usually right above the ground, water, etc.
  • ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana P... 2010/05/19 22:23:45
    ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana Pie" ♥
    Its on the surface...and not deep down.
  • LimeGreenQueen 2010/05/19 21:47:19
    LimeGreenQueen
    The electric current dissapates or something like that. We had to write a report on something along these lines in like 8th grade or something like that, but I don't remember it now.
  • PinkSugarZombie (Tori) 2010/05/19 21:15:43
    PinkSugarZombie (Tori)
    cuz there magic!
  • driley 2010/05/19 18:58:35
    driley
    +3
    I don't know the answer. I stopped by to see if someone else did. 8-)
  • Snow 2010/05/19 18:07:50 (edited)
    Snow
    hmmmm maybe fish are too far down there. hmmmm fish Fin! Noggin! Dude!
  • I quit!!! 2010/05/19 17:51:21 (edited)
    I quit!!!
    +1
    The fish in the area do die. But the fish that are far away don’t because the flow of electric current is dissipated.
  • Cathy 2010/05/19 17:49:41
    Cathy
    Because they swim like hell to get to the bottom of the ocean where it is safe!
  • BK 2010/05/19 17:47:37
    BK
    +1
    The further the fish are from the strike, the more resistance the water provides to the flow of current. The more resistance, the less of a jolt the fish recieve. From far enough away, and it isn't that far, the fish wouldn't recieve a lethal jolt.
  • ~**Darren's Girl**~ 2010/05/19 17:38:38
    ~**Darren's Girl**~
    because they are in the water and like they swim away when it comes...i guess lolz
  • wombat 2010/05/19 17:13:30
    wombat
    It hits a few who are close to the impact
  • Tia 2010/05/19 17:11:50
    Tia
    Cause it strikes the top of the ocean not the bottom where I imagine they all get to swimming like a bat outta hell when they see the first light. LOL
  • Shilo 2010/05/19 15:47:49
    Shilo
    +3
    "Electrical currents like to flow over surfaces, so most of the current from the lightning flows over the surface of the water."
  • $treEt_$m@Rt 2010/05/19 15:47:10
    $treEt_$m@Rt
    +1
    the oceans to emense

2014/07/24 02:43:15