What's a Book That's Changed Your Life?

Jersey Roze ♥Jwon's Cyar'ika ♥ 2012/05/25 21:07:14
Related Topics: Book

• **weaselbee::StarkidJay* 2012/05/26 05:17:32 (edited)
    It was...
    **weaselbee::StarkidJay*
    +15
    No matter how it sounds to other people, this is something that did change my life. Harry Potter is the reason I have half of the friends that I have, and it's how I found the things I'm good at. It taught me a million more life lessons than could ever be told to me in school. Stuff that changes your life like that doesn't come about too often.

harry potter series

• starlight Farbiger 2012/05/27 20:39:28
    starlight
    +1
    i love the gone series i read the first 3 books last summer
  • Farbiger starlight 2012/05/28 20:28:41
    Farbiger
    +1
    I have all of them and read all the way up to Lies; I just have to find time to finish Plague, man. I can't wait to find out what... Well, let me not spoil it. :D
  • starlight Farbiger 2012/05/29 02:06:09
    starlight
    +1
    haha lol please dont spoil it haha they were good books and astrid and sam's constant fighting gets on my nerves
  • Farbiger starlight 2012/05/29 21:08:29
    Farbiger
    +1
    YES! Sometimes I'm just like, "Astrid! Shut your smart a** up! Sam is not friggin' Superman! He's not the messiah! Let him be Sam.", then other times I'm like, "okay Sam, maybe you should listen to Astrid a little."
    Oh! And get me started on that Zil! I want that little mofo to get his face blown off! Hell, let Hunter at him! D:<
    I can't wait for "Fear" and "Light" to come out. :D
  • starlight Farbiger 2012/05/29 21:22:24
    starlight
    +1
    whoa more books i need to get on it and read them again right away!
  • me4ever 2012/05/27 18:33:00
    It was...
    me4ever
    +1
    every book i read changed something in me but there are three book that really made me who i am
    Harry Potter the first book i ever read and the reason i fall in love with reading
    The hunger games it was amazing it is what taught me to stand up for my self and make sure my voice is heard ........life will go on no matter what
    a tale of two cities all the love and sacrifice was .... beautiful
  • Dickens 2012/05/27 17:48:41
    Other...
    Dickens
    +4
    ..well, the bible taught me to be a hate-filled bigot, so at least I learned what to ignore...
  • in vino... Dickens 2012/05/27 18:10:05
  • in vino... 2012/05/27 23:03:33
    +2
    very nice I do see only good on that page. Jesus never lies.

rose
  • julius 2012/05/27 16:16:52
    It was...
    julius
    +2
    the BIBLE probably. But The Hunger Games Trilogy also did change my life. ;) hunger games trilogy bible
  • sharebear817 2012/05/27 15:56:52 (edited)
    It was...
    sharebear817
    +1
    the first book series that i've read about a million times from start to finish!! My best friend and I are friends because of our love for Harry Potter!!

Harry Potter books hardcover
  • jere.chievres 2012/05/27 15:42:35
    It was...
    jere.chievres
    +3
    I have read literally THOUSANDS of books, usually 4-5 a week, my entire life since I was 6 or so, each one influenced mt in some way, but Torah is the major one.
  • IndyLinda jere.ch... 2012/05/27 21:43:01
    IndyLinda
    +1
    Yes. In Hebrew.
  • jere.ch... IndyLinda 2012/05/27 21:45:51
    jere.chievres
    +2
    Of course.
  • ☆GrayBear☆ ~PWCM~JLA~ 2012/05/27 15:00:08
    It was...
    ☆GrayBear☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    +1
    The 5000 Year Leap: A Miracle That Changed the World
    By Cleon Skousen.

For many years in the United States there has been a gradual drifting away from the Founding Fathers original success formula. This has resulted in some of their most unique contributions for a free and prosperous society becoming lost or misunderstood. Therefore, there has been a need to review the history and development of the making of America in order to recapture the brilliant precepts which made Americans the first free people in modern times.In this book, discover the 28 Principles of Freedom our Founding Fathers said must be understood and perpetuated by every people who desire peace, prosperity, and freedom. Learn how adherence to these beliefs during the past 200 years has brought about more progress than was made in the previous 5000 years.
  • ☆GrayBe... 2012/05/27 23:08:47
    +2
    yes the progress has been the greatest ever seen in history but many of the principles they gained from teh bible. one is the golden rule, do to others what you want done to you, love god above everyone else and love your neighbor as yourself, honest weights and measures, do not move the boundary marks of your neighbor (such as stealing land by fraud) do not lie, steal and do not have another god before the creator, (like worhip of money, people, or ideas or material objects sport teams or whatever one can put first before obeying God's laws.or loving God. oh yea forgot also that all men are equal before God and thus has no right to rule over his fellow man except in the observance of God's laws against violations of those rights. like stealing murder etc.

rose
  • ☆GrayBe... 2012/05/28 13:14:04
    ☆GrayBear☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    +1
    Hi Rose,

I'm a life-long Catholic and not a young man. I've attended Mass since I was in my mother's womb. The Bible, the teachings of Christ and the Church have always been a part of my life. I can still remember when Mass was in Latin. Unlike Protestants, I didn't 'discover' the Bible after descending into a life of sin, latching onto it like a life ring to be 'saved' as a drowning man going down for the third time.

The 5000 Year Leap introduced me to the concept of Natural Rights and Natural Law and the philosophies of Cicero (a non-Christian Roman), Thomas Aquinas (an Italian Dominican Roman Catholic priest), John Locke, Montesquieu, Blackstone and others that influenced the Founders thinking and helped them to craft this unique government that stands alone in human history.

In a nutshell, God gave mankind freewill; would it not have been a cruel joke to give man the right of self-determination and then deny him the means to exercise it?

Your unalienable rights are established by your Creator and are not subject to be given, removed or altered by any man or government. An entitlement is granted by government and is only an entitlement as long as it is granted.

Mankind has the right to self-government, to bear arms for self defense and to own, develop and dispose of property. We...

Hi Rose,

Mankind has the right to self-government, to bear arms for self defense and to own, develop and dispose of property. We have the right to make personal choices, of free conscience and to choose our profession. We have the right to choose a mate and beget our own kind.

We have the right to assemble, to petition and of free speech. We have the right to, but not always the benefit of, a free press.

We have the right to enjoy the fruits of our labor, to explore and develop the natural resources of the earth, to improve our position through barter and sale, the right to contrive and invent.

We have the right to privacy, to personal security and to provide nature's necessities - air, water, food, clothing and shelter. We have the right to contract, to free association, and to a fair trial.

Along with these rights come some public and private duties to maintain those same rights. Forgetting these is where it all began to go horribly wrong.

First, we have the duty to honor the supremacy of the Creator and his laws. The duty not to take the life of another except in self-defense, to not steal or destroy the property of another and to be honest in all transactions with others.

Children have the duty to honor and obey their parents and elders while parents have the duty to protect, teach, feed, clothe and provide shelter for children.

We have the duty to support law and order and to keep the peace, not to contrive through a covetous heart to despoil another, to honorably perform contracts and covenants both with God and man and to not trespass on the property or privacy of another.

We have the duty to provide, to the best of our ability, for the needs of the helpless - the sick, the crippled, the injured, the poverty-stricken. The duty to become economically self-sufficient.

We have the duty to maintain the integrity of the family structure, to perpetuate the human race, to be temperate and to not promote or participate in the vices that destroy personal and community life.

We have the duty to support personal and public standards of common decency, to follow the rules of moral rectitude and to not aid or abet those involved in criminal or anti-social activities.

And we have the duty to perform our civic responsibilities - VOTE, assist public officials, serve in official capacities when called upon, stay informed on public issues, volunteer where needed.
  • Linkums 2012/05/27 14:43:57
    It was...
    Linkums
    +4
    The Bible
    the bible

and my Japanese textbook, since I majored in Japanese and will probably have a career related to it.
    nakama japanese textbook

And if I had to choose one more "normal" book... maybe... The Reason for God
    the reason for god
  • Linkums 2012/05/27 23:09:49
    +2
    is japanese hard to learn? which is hardest the spoken language or the writting of that language.

rose
  • Linkums 2012/05/28 01:55:05
    Linkums
    The spoken language is relatively easy to learn I think. The written language is quite hard though.
    Really, the grammar and pronunciation is very simple and there's hardly any exceptions or conjugations to memorize. No "a", "an", or "the" and no agreeing in number and gender.
  • mobius 2012/05/27 14:38:35
    It was...
    mobius
    +1
    Science Fiction as a whole.
  • Captain Pikachu 2012/05/27 14:14:08
    It was...
    Captain Pikachu
    +3
    The bible
  • bettyboop 2012/05/27 13:38:57 (edited)
    It was...
    bettyboop
    +6
    Holy Bible
    It is a very interesting history book with many life lessons in it.

I also enjoyed reading "The Shack"...........thought I have not been able to forgive all that has happened to me, I am trying to......bitterness is not fun

The Shack
    I also want to thank Judy Blume for starting me on a life long love of reading.......
    Judy Blume Books
  • PonToki bettyboop 2012/05/27 15:11:31
    PonToki
    +3
    I read The Shack as well and I really loved it.
  • bettyboop PonToki 2012/05/28 17:17:07
    bettyboop
    +1
    Yeah it was a good read. I cried when I read parts of it. But I think crying can be healing.
  • Resp 2012/05/27 11:41:05 (edited)
    It was...
    Resp
    +1
    "Euclid's Elements" and the axiomatic method. The Socratic method seeks truth through dialogue. The axiomatic method seeks truth through axioms.
  • ϟ Emma ϟ_♥loves♥supernatural♥ 2012/05/27 10:40:54 (edited)
    It was...
    ϟ Emma ϟ_♥loves♥supernatural♥
    +2
    Harry Potter books of course! I grew up with those books! It totally changed the way i am thinking, talking and of course acting! That change was for my best, now i know it, and there are no words to thank J.K. Rowling for this!!!

books grew books totally changed thinking talking acting change rowling
  • RAINA 2012/05/27 10:25:02
    It was...
    RAINA
    +2
    13 Reasons Why and the Twilight Saga 13 reasons why twilight
  • in vino veritas 2012/05/27 09:51:41 (edited)
  • Lady-DeathBright 2012/05/27 08:54:28
    It was...
    Lady-DeathBright
    +2
    The Giver by Lois Lowey
    The Giver by Lois Lowey

It really helped clear some things.
  • ♥K14 2012/05/27 08:38:19
    It was...
    ♥K14
  • AyaYayou 2012/05/27 08:33:13
    It was...
    AyaYayou
    +3
    It was the holy book Quoran holy book quoran
  • Dyonus 2012/05/27 07:57:57
    It was...
    Dyonus
    +3
    The Lost World  Jurassic Park novel

Not because there was any sort of deep message or anything like that, but because it transitioned me over from reading children's books and young adult books to adult novels.
  • Sailor Jerry [Proud Liberta... 2012/05/27 07:31:29
    It was...
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    +1
    the Satanic Bible. completely changed my outlook on life.
  • Marcus Clark 2012/05/27 06:15:46
    It was...
    Marcus Clark
    +2
    While i have read many books and could say that several of them have had a "life-changing" effect, the one book that has had the most profound, positive, life-changing effect has been the #1 all time best seller of all books throughout history. That is The Bible.
    Bible
  • StrawberryNonsense 2012/05/27 05:22:43
    It was...
    StrawberryNonsense
    +1
    It's Kind of a Funny Story definitely changed my life. funny story changed life
    And even though I'm talking about the movie, Where the Wild Things Are changed my life too. funny story changed life talking movie wild changed life
    They both helped in showing me a little more of who I am.
  • ♣Tanor Zeta Faux♣ 2012/05/27 05:10:51
    It was...
    ♣Tanor Zeta Faux♣
    +1
    Bobby Pendragon Book 1 - 5. (I need to get my hands on 6 to 10!! D:<)
    After reading that novel series halfway, it kinda made me love this kind of adventure/suspense kind of book. Telling a story from two points of views, in two dimensions.

Bobby Pendragon Bobby Pendragon Faar Bobby Pendragon The Never War Bobby Pendragon The Reality Bug Bobby Pendragon Blackwater
  • ♣Tanor ... ♣Tanor ... 2012/05/27 05:14:47
    ♣Tanor Zeta Faux♣
    +1
    There's something about this series that had an affect on me growing up. I don't know what it was, but ever since then, a lot of the premises of the books are a lot like what's happening or what has happened to real life, and what may happen in the future.

What will be our turning point? Who are our Travelers? Who will save all of Halla? Halla is everything, everyone, and every place that has ever existed. And, Halla is Allah backwards. Something about this series, makes sense in everyday life. Here's a very memorable quote that is also my favorite: "This is the way it was meant to be." - Osa and Loor from Book 1.
  • ♥Rawr♥ 2012/05/27 05:05:46
    It was...
    ♥Rawr♥
  • Serenity the goth. 2012/05/27 05:02:25
    It was...
    Serenity the goth.
    +3
    Just to read how badly the poor people were treated makes me sick to my stomach.R.I.P to all who died.

night book number the stars

2014/04/23 15:01:57