What was your first impression of goth and why do so many people mistake it for Emo?

NoNamesRevenge 2012/07/15 21:38:27
I believe it to be a lifestyle choice. One that gathers music, thought, fashion and the unique darkness of life. I believe goths are beauty in darkness.
I thought goths were just emos. That they listened to the same music and that it was just a stereotype.
I just wanted to know what it is many teenagers actually think goth is. What music would you commonly associate with being goth? I know goth was known for its movement in the 1980s and I know it has nothing to do with Emo or marilyn mason. Yet what do you think?

• Rose 2013/05/31 07:30:45
    I believe it to be a lifestyle choice. One that gathers music, thought, fashi...
    Rose
    +2
    I first believed it to be kids angry at the world, like me. (this is me in 4th grade, by the way) now, after being in it for 4-5 years, I see it's not. It's beautiful
  • xDeadLifex 2012/08/14 05:42:47
    xDeadLifex
    YEAH :)
  • Naomi 2012/08/08 17:28:49
    I thought goths were just emos. That they listened to the same music and that...
    Naomi
    My FIRST thought?
    ... Enoby.
  • Rose Naomi 2013/05/31 07:31:27
    Rose
    WHY DID SATAN HABE TO MAKE ME SO BEAUTIFUL???!!!!111
  • YourCompanionCube 2012/07/24 13:17:17
    YourCompanionCube
    +1
    Eh. Goth is a style or fashion, if you will. Emo is a personality.
  • NoNames... YourCom... 2012/08/26 00:36:49
    NoNamesRevenge
    Goth is music... I am sorry some of these posts are beyond me.
    Goth has its on music. Bauhaus, christian death,sopor aeternus

Emo music.... Pg. 99 you know first screamo bands
    Were has musical history gone too?
  • Rose YourCom... 2013/05/31 07:32:31
    Rose
    Actually, no. Fashion is a BIG part, yes, as is the music. However, it has become very much a life style.
  • Devil's Advocate 2012/07/22 19:53:02
    Devil's Advocate
    I adore the classic, post-punk goth movement. It gave birth to some incredible bands.

I am putting together a post-punk goth / folk band right now, actually.
  • tobe 2012/07/22 02:45:41 (edited)
    tobe
    haha neither. I think when being goth became commercialized and hot topic started selling goth hello kitty backpacks and halter tops people flocked to it in droves. Goth kids of today don't look anything to me like what they use to. I wouldnt even say emo but thats getting closer. Like so many kids of today its become fashion without any meaning. When I was a teenager goth kids shopped for clothes at goodwill and the salvation army, listened to the smiths, read beat up copies of the bell jar and poetry books and when it came to store bought punk wear it pretty much came to body jewelry and going to new orleans shopping for boots and hitting the goth bars. Hot Topic killed it. How are your clothes a form of self expression when your wearing the same mass produced outfit off the shelf as other people. Oh I love my goth friends from back in the day and Ill tell ya, they are alot different from the ones I see at the mall (for one they make their clothes with their own 2 lilly white hands (pun intended lol) but goth was never my thing. Me and a goth buddy of mine use to hit the bars in new orleans and shed dress me up like a goth ken doll but I was an am more punk.
  • CrazyDeen0 2012/07/19 15:35:00
    CrazyDeen0
    Type O Negative seems to be music that is associated with it.
    Type O Negative
  • Eyes See Wide North 2012/07/19 03:29:53
    Eyes See Wide North
    Neither answer,
    I knew about goths before Emos were around.

Goths listen to mix of heavy metal (mostly insanely heavy) and sometimes I think just general depressing quite tunes.
    Emos listen to rock and anything that stimulates sad feeling, if it isnt sad, they will make it sad..

2 really boring groups of people, some goths and some emos are cool, but most are so caught up in there pretentious behaviour, same goes for a lot of people.

Just that someone who sits around looking mopey, depressed or angry is not pleasent for anyone, and its not rebellious...
  • NoNames... Eyes Se... 2012/08/26 00:38:11
    NoNamesRevenge
    Sorry. Do some research.
  • Rose NoNames... 2013/05/31 07:35:21
    Rose
    Sorry but...no. Goth IS HUGE on music, but just like punk, which used to be only about music, it evolved and became a life style, because, honestly, saying someone belongs to a certain group based simply on musical tast is silly. It's like saying a cowboy isn't a cow boy cause he hates country music. Even though, yes, YOU DO have to like the music to be goth, it isn't JUST music anymore.
  • rereblue 2012/07/19 01:44:37
    rereblue
    Oh dear goodness. Isn't it obvious?
  • MoonTroll 2012/07/17 23:48:44
    MoonTroll
    There are different, they live different lifestyles.
  • FortunaVeritas 2012/07/17 21:26:57
    FortunaVeritas
    Mostly because Highschool is where most people see it and by the mid to late 90s, Goth was dead in American schools, so people naturally assume that since Emo was a thing, the people identifying as Goth were just Emo in denial.
  • Sintwa 2012/07/17 20:09:39
    Sintwa
    +1
    I am a teenager and I always imagine goths as being more Victorian, like this:
    teenager imagine goths victorian

Whereas emos are more like this:
    teenager imagine goths victorian emos

Scenes are emos with that bleach blonde hair and use more neons.
  • tobe Sintwa 2012/07/22 03:01:17
    tobe
    thats cause if you go the mall you can pretty much buy goth like you would bed in a bag at walmart.
  • MCR1977 2012/07/17 16:00:32
    MCR1977
    im kinda goth..
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/17 15:47:14
  • Rose Vision ... 2013/05/31 07:38:09
    Rose
    Then obviously you don't know much and need to research before you next comment. Goth was never childish, the people who were in it wheh it first came around were either almost out if high school or already graduated. Go to a 21+ goth club, as what they do for a living. I have. At three different clubs. Most were doctors, lawyers, psychologists, nurses, vets, one was even going into politics. It just goes to show how easy it is for people like you to go into stereotypes.
  • Retard Buggsy 2012/07/17 12:42:17
    Retard Buggsy
    I am kinda goth.... I would say the music you associte with it would be stuff like: Avenged Sevenfold, Bring Me The Horizons, Bullet 4 My Valentine, Escape The Fate, Slipknot, Stonesour, Carnifex...etc. But I am kinda emo coz i like the punk stuff and rock and emo bands... I know there not the same but some people do tie the 2 together coz they are kinda similar....
  • NoNames... Retard ... 2012/07/18 20:48:17
  • Sammi </3 2012/07/17 08:15:40
    Sammi </3
    goth and emos are not the same
  • Sinister Ken Doll™ 2012/07/16 22:21:50
    Sinister Ken Doll™
  • Jenni 2012/07/16 03:59:04
    Jenni
    This choice makes more sense than the other one, but it still makes no freaking sense.

Goths/emos try to be deep but they really just sound stoned, sorry.
  • Jenni Jenni 2012/07/16 03:59:36
    Jenni
    Oh and "real" Goths or Emos don't call themselves that.
  • NoNames... Jenni 2012/07/18 21:00:54
    NoNamesRevenge
    There are no real goth and Emos. There are people that are actually familiar with the original orgins and some that make up their own way which is not right. You would not call yourself a satanist and wear a God bless shirt would you?
  • Rose NoNames... 2013/05/31 07:41:52
    Rose
    Ah, I see someone has a gother than thou 'this is what I think is goth and it's THE ONLY RIGHT WAT' deal.
    Goth is different to everyone. Recalling conversations with people in clubs who were goth when the subculture first came around, even they said it wasn't just music, it was a life style. But again, that's there opinion. The only wrong one is Believing that we're all devil worshippers who sacrifice babies. All in all, your post is unfair. You give them two choices, neither you agree with, and then tell them their belief is wrong. Please let me see you secret gith cabal membership card.
  • Qwik619 2012/07/16 01:25:57
    Qwik619
    +1
    I really think people should just be themselves and realize that there are no such thing as emo or goth and that there just allowing people to judge them right off the bat because the terms emo and goth were created simply to classify and judge people. Goths and Emos are alike because if they call themselves goth or emos they're simply people trying to be the unnatural version of themselves. and if I put it in 90's street terms they are posers.
  • Sammi </3 Qwik619 2012/07/17 08:17:11
    Sammi </3
    hey i liked being called emo and it a style along with goth and prep, and all the other things
  • Retard ... Qwik619 2012/07/17 12:44:46
    Retard Buggsy
    Not all of us are posers... We just get used to people calling us Goth and Emo so thats how we start to think about ourselves.... All i wanna do is not be the same as everyone else and be known as someone who is different...
  • Qwik619 Retard ... 2012/07/17 14:21:14
    Qwik619
    don't be a contrarian just be yourself and you'l figure out you arn't like anybody else in the first place.
  • Cellar Door 2012/07/15 22:34:00
    Cellar Door
    I guess to some people it means something different..
    To some it's a fashion choice, and I know some goths believe that a 'true goth' has to like Bauhaus and some of the other first goth bands too (although I don't believe that). There's this goth band family tree that I think includes a lot of the music I'd consider goth: http://encyclopediagothica.co...
    I don't think it has to be all about music, thought, and fashion together though. Everyone is different, even if they are a part of the same subculture. I don't associate it with emo though. I think of it as something completely different, although I sometimes associate it with younger people
    idk why i'm even talking about this i'm not goth at all
    holy hell i've said goth so many times it doesn't even sound like a word anymore

2014/04/18 20:51:17