What religion are you?

Teri- Oregon 2012/06/25 19:38:53
Related Topics: Art, Religion
I am Pagan.....................
I am of one of the Aramaic religions such as...........
I am atheist.....................
I am agnostic
I am buddihst
You have not listed my religion, I am...............
Please be a specific as possible
example: I am a solitary Pagan that practices witchcraft and other magical arts.

• Philo-Publius 2012/06/26 01:55:46
    Philo-Publius
    +11
    ...a vibration in the Mind of the One, True God Whose Name is Love.
    hicks

• Sayer Stewart 2012/09/20 14:30:29
    I am buddihst
    Sayer Stewart
    And Shinto
  • Kezzi Morris 2012/09/06 20:30:16
    Kezzi Morris
  • Cam ☽✪☾ 2012/08/25 01:37:00
    I am Pagan.....................
    Cam ☽✪☾
    +1
    Pagan:)
  • Katherine 2012/07/16 12:45:50
    Katherine
    Mostly Catholic. I'm working on qualifying.

Btw, I sort of resent Christianity, Judaism and Islam being lumped into Abrahamic. There's a reason Islam specifically and aggressively targets Christian and Jewish people.
  • KeithL 2012/07/13 17:10:26
  • Zeruke 2012/07/10 17:18:48
    Zeruke
    +2
    Deism because God gave us reasoning not religion
  • 8bitgonemad 2012/07/10 07:22:51
    I am atheist.....................
    8bitgonemad
    +1
    Atheism isn't a religion though
  • Teri- O... 8bitgon... 2012/07/10 08:55:52
    Teri- Oregon
    I know, but I didn't want you guys to feel like I was excluding you. :)
  • 8bitgon... Teri- O... 2012/07/10 19:16:52
    8bitgonemad
    Cool :p
  • Toots 2012/07/06 21:25:34
    Toots
    The ones listed are not Christian's as far as I am concered I am a LCMS
  • esteeopolis 2012/07/06 05:47:03
    esteeopolis
    +1
    Esteeism
  • Teri- O... esteeop... 2012/07/06 05:56:15
  • esteeop... Teri- O... 2012/07/06 06:01:08
    esteeopolis
    I'm my own religion. Consisting of all things Estée. Seriously though, I don't base my beliefs around the 'moulds' religions have. All religions have moulds.
  • Teri- O... esteeop... 2012/07/06 06:09:59
    Teri- Oregon
    nice, I like it :)
  • draconiaregina 2012/07/05 21:16:42
    I am Pagan.....................
    draconiaregina
    +1
    Pagan, more like a solitary "kitchen witch" keeping things low level and simple,
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/07/05 19:34:31
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Christian, kind of a big one to not have listed, no?
  • Teri- O... Gracie ... 2012/07/05 19:36:45
    Teri- Oregon
    I did, I grouped it with jewish and muslim in Arimaic
  • Gracie ... Teri- O... 2012/07/05 20:08:47
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    LOL, I didn't even know what it meant! I don't want to be grouped with Muslims, Jews are fine.
  • Teri- O... Gracie ... 2012/07/05 21:46:49
    Teri- Oregon
    +2
    You all believe in the same god, you just have different messiah's.
    Christians = Jesus
    Jewish = No messiah yet, but he is coming
    Muslim = No messiah yet, but we have a prophet!
  • Gracie ... Teri- O... 2012/07/05 21:50:50
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    You could group anyone together in some slight fashion. However, Muslims don't believe in plurality.
  • Eh Poli... Gracie ... 2012/08/03 01:46:36
    Eh Politico
    +1
    Historically, the jews begot the christians, christians begot the muslims. It's a matter of source material. In the very same way mormons can be seen as an offshoot of christianity, christianity is an offshoot of judaism and islam of christianity.
  • CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/05 19:29:24
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Jack Mormon ~ google it.
  • Gregaj7 2012/07/05 18:10:26
    +1
    I am of Yahweh-God/Yeshua Hamashia/Jesus Christ/The Holy Spirit, all as One.
  • U-Dog 2012/07/05 15:44:36
    U-Dog
    +1
    I guess I would best be described as a Jeffersonian Deist. I believe in a natural creator but do not subscribe to the supernatural myths or notions of a god directly concerned with the everyday personal affairs of mankind.
  • Gracie ... U-Dog 2012/07/05 19:33:43
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Too bad Jefferson wasn't really a deist :(
  • U-Dog Gracie ... 2012/07/06 06:37:05
    U-Dog
    The fact that Jefferson admired Christ's ethic and worked well with the majority of Christians he was surrounded by did not make him a Christian in any modern evangelical sense of the term. While Jefferson believed in an afterlife and never called himself a Deist, he was a Unitarian-- which in America and England of the time was pretty much the same, a branch within liberal Protestantism. Unitarians rejected the Trinity, Original Sin, etc. And other Gnostic beliefs.

To quote Jefferson, "I am a Christian, in the only sense he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others; ascribing to himself every human excellence; and believing he never claimed any other."

Jefferson's own writings prove how he thought about pushy controlling man made religions based on mystical nonsensical notions so feel free to follow the link if you ever care to read his words vs, taking cheap shots at me every time I mention his name on SH.

The Jeffersonian Cyclopedia: A Comprehensive Collection of the Views of Thomas Jefferson (1900)
    http://books.google.com/books...

http://books.google.com/books...
  • Gracie ... U-Dog 2012/07/06 16:30:36
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    It wasn't a cheap shot, he wasn't a deist. He never wavered from his belief that God actively intervened in the affairs of men. He regularly prayed, believing that God would answer his prayers for his family, his country, the unity of the Christian church, and the end of slavery. He ended his life as a Christian Primitivist, being in personal disagreement with some orthodox theological tenets of Christianity that he had affirmed earlier in his life, although still holding fast to many other traditionally sound theological tenets. That defies Deism.

I'm just all about the truth, you can't fault me for that.
  • U-Dog Gracie ... 2012/07/06 17:08:36
    U-Dog
    I don't fault you for truly seeking truth and wisdom but I will fault your evangelical pseudo-historian source in this case.

"In The Jefferson Lies, David Barton claims that Jefferson came under the influence of groups in Virginia Barton labels as Primitivists and Restorationists. Specifically, Barton claims:

In fact, it was during his affiliation with Christian Primitivism that he first expressed anti-Trinitarian views in a letter to John Adams in 1813.

As we have seen, this claim is clearly false. Jefferson, in 1788, refused to sponsor a friend’s child as a godfather because he would have to affirm his belief in the Trinity. He told his friend, Derieux, that he held that belief [rejecting the Trinity] from early in his life. Jefferson also confided to a Unitarian friend that he attended Priestley’s Unitarian church before 1800, while he was Vice President. In Jefferson’s 1803 Syllabus, he laid out his belief that Jesus was not part of the Godhead. Barton’s attempt to make Jefferson seem orthodox during the active part of his political engagement is contradicted by Jefferson’ own words."

http://wthrockmorton.com/2012...
  • Gracie ... U-Dog 2012/07/06 17:26:01
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    I said that his beliefs had changed throughout his years. You're expressing views that he had over 20 years before his death. I guess you are trying to say you're a Jefferson Deist like it's a separate entity from Deism in general. How so? Do you deny that he believed in prayer? I'm not basing it on just Barton's view although your contradicting his words using earlier sources. He does discuss all of Jefferson's view through writings and letters. He doesn't try and paint him as a traditional Christian, he's just not a deist or an atheist like some people try implying.
  • U-Dog Gracie ... 2012/07/07 01:54:49
    U-Dog
    +1
    Jefferson was definitely not an Atheist but he was most certainly not a traditional Christian by any modern evangelical sense of the term.

First, let me backup, I use the term Jeffersonian Deist not so much to claim that Jefferson himself ever claimed to be a Deist but to say that Jefferson believed in reaching his beliefs about God and the universe thru the use of reason and not revelation. Jefferson also used the common terminology of a 19th century Deist, and as I pointed out in my first response, Jefferson was a Unitarian which, in his day, was practically the same thing as being a Deist, and it was certainly a lot closer to what would be commonly classified as a traditional Christian.

Jefferson was a man highly interested in God, Reason and Morals, he loved the ethics of Christ and he believed -- thru reason -- in a universal natural Creator. Jefferson's writings clearly show that he felt nothing but contempt for the corrupt old religious Orthodoxy and what he considered a bastardized bible which only twisted Christ's real world meaning.

Not to be disrespectful but IMHO, the supernatural aspects of the bible are nothing more than the churches collectivist device for benefiting -- Insert Ruler -- itself thru enslaving the masses in the darkness of a mystical welfare ...

Not to be disrespectful but IMHO, the supernatural aspects of the bible are nothing more than the churches collectivist device for benefiting -- Insert Ruler -- itself thru enslaving the masses in the darkness of a mystical welfare system for the soul. And while I do not mean to paint with too broad a brush, mysticism has historically been the common tool used by most religions to circumvent real world observations and logical debate concerning the true nature of God.

While I personally do not see natures creator as an entity with any sort of special personal interest in mankind's welfare there is certainly nothing inconsistent with a Deist doing so if that is the conclusion they reach thru their application of reason. Deism is anything but a one size fits all belief system and I personally see it as more as a decentralized approach to understanding natures creator and the universe we exist in.

I also disagree that Jefferson ever had, for one second, any Calvinist anti-reason notions about the way to personal salvation in the eyes of God.

"The truth is that the greatest enemies to the doctrines of Jesus are those calling themselves the expositors of them, who have perverted them for the structure of a system of fancy absolutely incomprehensible, and without any foundation in his genuine words. And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this the most venerated reformer of human errors."
    -Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823
  • Gracie ... U-Dog 2012/07/07 02:09:05
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    I'm having a similar debate with someone else on another poll. I think everyone who admires and respects the intellect and thinking of Jefferson should read the ultimate biography written by Henry Stephens Randall back in 1858, he was the only authorized biographer approved by the family and was given full access to the family papers, records, family members and family remembrances. In light of all the current controversy, I'm going to go back and re-read it, it's been so long ago and I think I could benefit from it now more than when I read it. It's available on-line through google books if you're interested. It's called "The Life of Thomas Jefferson" and it's three volumes long!

http://books.google.com/books...
  • U-Dog Gracie ... 2012/07/07 03:18:20
    U-Dog
    +1
    Thanks for the link, I read it when I was a teen but I could certainly use a refresher myself.
  • Alexander 2012/07/05 15:09:33
    I am buddihst
    Alexander
    +1
    I am a Spiritualist who follows the Teachings and Sutras of Gautama.
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2012/07/05 14:47:17
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +1
    Lutheran
  • Umbreon! 2012/07/03 14:47:59
    Umbreon!
    +2
    Lutheran.
  • desii wright 2012/07/02 00:35:14
    I am agnostic
    desii wright
    +1
    i am agnostic.............(for now)
  • culpepper 2012/07/01 09:28:40
    I am atheist.....................
    culpepper
    +3
    atheism is not a religion- try asking what beliefs people hold or what philosophy they follow
  • Teri- O... culpepper 2012/07/01 09:37:03
    Teri- Oregon
    +2
    but you still answered, lol. :)
  • zeldamaster17~平和 2012/06/30 06:30:04
    I am agnostic
    zeldamaster17~平和
    +1
    I have yet to receive enough evidence to make a sound assumption.
  • Teri- O... zeldama... 2012/06/30 06:32:01
    Teri- Oregon
    good reply, thank you

2014/10/26 08:42:54