What Happened?

Link 2012/04/15 16:09:20
What happened to the Family Unit as it once was?

Family used to spend time together as a... FAMILY...
If someone in the FAMILY was celebrating something, they celebrated it with FAMILY...
If someone in the FAMILY was mourning something, they mourned it with FAMILY...
If someone in the FAMILY was having a hard time with something, they had FAMILY support...
If someone in the FAMILY was unable to work and support themselves, FAMILY stepped in and helped and supported them...

The list goes on, Folks...

But, today, in far too many cases, family is no longer that way... they're not there for each other... they're not there with each other... and far too many people rely on the Gov't (the hard-working taxpayer like me!!!) to support them...

I have heard it too many times, "Why should I get insurance through my job when the government insurance is free?" or, "Why should I work? I make more money staying home and collecting welfare?"

Damn it, Folks, it NOT FREE! Someone has to pay for it! And, that's me and others like me... the hard-working stiff who pays exorbitant amounts of taxes, which pays for those who wrongfully sit at home sucking down welfare and other government hand-outs... and the rare time when I, Joe Taxpayer, need some help, I can't get it (not that I have even tried, but I've heard far too often the horror stories of those who do and have worked hard all their lives, and when an unfortunate situation happens and they do need a little help, they couldn't get it)...

And what our elderly? They shouldn't have to worry about anything when they retire... they've worked hard all their lives...

I could go on and on and on and on and on... This topic pisses me right the f*** off... I work hard and have since I was a kid... I take care of my own...

• Heat Her 2012/04/18 15:30:49
    I agree!
    Heat Her
    Proud to say, I was a single mother with no child support and NEVER on welfare. My broke, poor, blue collar working class family stepped in to help get me back on my feet and here I am, standing tall, proud to raise my son to believe that family is everything.
  • Link Heat Her 2012/04/18 23:32:06
    Link
    +1
    Proud of you, then!
  • Link 2012/04/16 10:46:15
    Now tell us how you really feel, Link!
    Link
    Lookm folks, maybe I do sound a bit harsh... but, it IS a reality... we're on the 3rd generation of welfare families...

And, again, while I know there are some people out there who truly need the help, there are a lot out there who do make the choice to sit home on welfare, public assistance, public insurance...

An example I know of first hand: An employee refuses to get the health insurance through her job and uses the public health insurance. Why? From her own mouth: "Why should I pay for my insurance when I can get it for free?" She's been told many times that it isn't free... that we the taxpayer pays for it and pays for every time she uses the public health insurance.

Another case I know of fist hand: A healthy, very smart individual who is fully capable of working refused the chance to get a job complete with pay check, health insurance for him and his family, life insurance, paid time off, etc. Why? Out of his own mouth: "I make more money staying home collecting welfare, public assistance programs, and public health insurance. It's easier, too! And, I get to work under the table, besides."
  • Pat 2012/04/16 04:05:47
    Now tell us how you really feel, Link!
    You and I are very fortunate to have families that actually love each other, support each other and are there for us when we need them. Not everyone does and it's a shame. Some people just aren't able to care for themselves. Some families are driven apart by drugs, crime, illness, infidelity and that's always be true to some extent. I think we who do have loving, close families should thank our lucky stars and appreciate them always.
  • Amy ...AKA Dudess 2012/04/16 01:11:46
    Now tell us how you really feel, Link!
    Amy ...AKA Dudess
    +1
    My family is still very close. When my son died and we had no life insurance My family took up a donation and the funeral was paid for, by family. When anything happens in my family we pull together to fix it, We still go to the church that my grandpa preached at, not many of the family has moved away from the area. And we still have a family reunion once a year to catch up with those that have moved away.
  • Link Amy ...... 2012/04/16 01:18:59
    Link
    +1
    Now that is awesome and the way it should be
  • Amy ...... Link 2012/04/16 01:26:40
    Amy ...AKA Dudess
    I know.. I love my my family.
  • Link Amy ...... 2012/04/16 01:39:44
    Link
    +1
    While a good portion of my family is spread out, we still are there for each other
  • Kashee 2012/04/15 22:12:09
    Now tell us how you really feel, Link!
    Kashee
    Link, How can there be family support when there are so few intact families. Even if many people get married and make babies, they don't necessarily make families. When the going gets tough, they just get out. Then there are many babies born unexpectedly to children, and they have no idea what a family means. They don't comprehend a baby is not a toy or someone to love them.

For some of us who have to live far from our families for numerous reasons, we make families where we live . My neighbors and their children are our family. Other friends are our family. My family of origin still exists, but I can't always travel to be at their events because they are 1500 miles away.
  • Link Kashee 2012/04/15 22:41:35
    Link
    +1
    My family is 2100 miles away including my 2 daughters and 3 of my grandkids... now, as of recently, they all plus my son and DIL and 4th grandaughter are all there...
  • Kashee Link 2012/04/15 22:56:01
    Kashee
    We have one son thousands of miles from us. We will be seeing him in a few days and we are so excited. We'll make it a big vacation and go and look at petroglyhs and rocks. Might sound boring to some people, but not to us.
  • Link Kashee 2012/04/15 23:12:11
  • Nameless 2012/04/15 17:57:20
    You're an ass, Link!
    Nameless
    ; ) Families have changed, Link. Whether for good or ill, they have changed. People do not live in the same vicinity, anymore. There are so many factors... I do think you are being a bit harsh.
  • Link Nameless 2012/04/15 19:26:54 (edited)
    Link
    Maybe I am, my friend... and yes, a lot of factors do play into the breakdown of the family unit... technology (kids tend to spend more time plying video games, watching the tube, texting friends, but again, some of that is parental control or lack of, which is fueled by government intervention), both parents having (or choosing in some cases) to work, technology again due to it being easier to be in contact electronically rather than in person, therefore a breakdown in interpersonal skills... etc... Sometimes I do get over-zealous, over-passionate about such topics that hit home...

And Big Bad John gets into it simpler yet covers more examples of things that impact and degrade the family unit...
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/04/15 17:08:09
    Now tell us how you really feel, Link!
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    BREAK DOWN OF THE FAMILY UNIT:
    Drugs
    government
    lack of parents control
    media
    wars
    fear
    break down of religion
    SCHOOLS
    gaming
    both parents working and no one there
    lack of love
    divorce
    no jobs
    inflation
    housing
    money(lack of)
    all the above and more
    Everyone is so hard to stay alive and have a roof over their head and food on the table that the family values have changed.
  • Nameless BIG BAD... 2012/04/15 23:25:09
    Nameless
    Some of that is legitimate and some is bogus.
  • Link Nameless 2012/04/16 00:06:13
    Link
    Why do you feel any is bogus? And which ones?
  • BIG BAD... Nameless 2012/04/16 19:10:06
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    Cane you be more specific in what you are saying is bogus. Tank you
  • Roblem BN-0 2012/04/15 16:33:19 (edited)
    Now tell us how you really feel, Link!
    Roblem BN-0
    It seems to me that greed and selfish behavior have been embraced by many at ALL levels.

The "unit" and love still exists in plenty of families. But how about the fact that it takes way more money to survive now than it did in the 50s and 60s. If parents have to work longer hours and both have to work to survive, then what can we really expect. Sorry, that is not because of taxes... they have gone DOWN since then. It is inflation and the need for "more".

It is also a resistance to change our way of life that may not work any more. It did once upon a time. Manufacturing jobs, farming, etc have been evolving and are different now. People rarely talk about how automation is what put many people out of work. While that increased profits for businesses (who supposedly create more jobs) it crushed the labor force. Then you have the incessant need/drive for instant wealth and huge growth. Big business cares about one thing, profit. Rather than rely on steady small increases they jump for the next big idea that will make them huge profits quickly. That sends them overseas to exploit labor and natural recourses where they can get them for pennies on the dollar compared to here. Plus they can pollute with minimal penalties... if any. Most don't consider (or give a s__t) about the long te...

It is also a resistance to change our way of life that may not work any more. It did once upon a time. Manufacturing jobs, farming, etc have been evolving and are different now. People rarely talk about how automation is what put many people out of work. While that increased profits for businesses (who supposedly create more jobs) it crushed the labor force. Then you have the incessant need/drive for instant wealth and huge growth. Big business cares about one thing, profit. Rather than rely on steady small increases they jump for the next big idea that will make them huge profits quickly. That sends them overseas to exploit labor and natural recourses where they can get them for pennies on the dollar compared to here. Plus they can pollute with minimal penalties... if any. Most don't consider (or give a s__t) about the long term effects because they are NOT people. There nature is psychopathic/destructive.

Fortunately there are some businesses who know better.

Yeah... some people take advantage of welfare... just look at the oil companies who reap major profits every year... the most ever in recent years, yet they still receive corporate
    welfare.

Oh yeah... This could go on and on. By the way. I sit down to dinner with my daughter each night she is with me. I am involved in her life. She is 8. She has no cell phone and no video game toys that she gets lost in. We don't have pay TV and she watches movies once or twice a week. That's it. Fortunately my ex wife is on the same page.
  • Wonder Woman 2012/04/15 16:16:46
  • ProudProgressive 2012/04/15 16:14:46
    Now tell us how you really feel, Link!
    ProudProgressive
    You make some valid points. Economics aside for a second, it seems that the "traditional family unit" has deteriorated greatly. When I was a kid we had family dinner at the dining room each evening. We didn't have the TV on. No one was texting. And the food didn't come from a drive thru. I don't blame either the conservatives or the liberals for this, but I do think it's to the detriment to both.

What bothers me most about the conservative attacks on poor people is the notion that people are only poor by choice, that people who receive government assistance do so because they choose not to be self reliant, and that they would rather stay home and wait for a check than go out and do something productive to earn a salary. These days, the main reason most people are unemployed is that there are no jobs. That's what makes the conservative views all the more hypocritical and empty. They condemn the poor for being poor, but then block anything that might help them to help themselves. It's kind of like a conservative shooting someone and then blaming them for getting blood on the floor.
  • Link ProudPr... 2012/04/15 16:26:20
    Link
    +1
    Some good points as well...

I don't blame the one's that legitimately need the help... it's the far too many that DO CHOOSE to sponge off the system...

And, I blame the ones who, several decades ago, started asking the system to step in and take care of the family, yet when the government did, they bitched because the government was interfering too much.. that's when the Family Unit started deteriorating... Family Values went out the window... with the attitude of "it takes a village" rather than "it takes a family"...
  • ProudPr... Link 2012/04/15 16:32:33
    ProudProgressive
    I don't have a problem with the "village" approach. The classic stereotype of yore is a farmer whose barn burns down and the rest of the village all comes out to help him build a new one. But I do agree that self reliance begins with a strong family life.

I agree that there are some who choose to sponge off the system. I tend to think that number is pretty small, but there's really no way to accurately measure something like that. I think the best thing to do would be to create enough jobs in this country for everyone to have one. Then we would KNOW that the only people not earning something are the ones who choose not to. I think that in part motivates the conservatives obsession with blocking job creation. Without doing so, they can pretend that ANYONE receiving public assistance is a "sponge".
  • Nameless Link 2012/04/15 18:02:55
    Nameless
    In my city - it does take a village, Link. I have two wonderful daughters and an incredible husband. However, both of our extended families are so dysfunctional and unhealthy that we have nothing to do with them. We have built our own family. We work at helping those in our neighborhood by being as good of an example as we are able. I am loving, kind, and compassionate - and the kids in our neighborhood respect me because of that. They also know that if they do something they should not that I will call them out on it. None of these kids have parents who make sure they have three meals a day, go to bed at a decent hour or get them up in the morning. So, we may not be their blood relatives, but these kids know that we care about them and will help them however we can. Hopefully, as they get older, they will remember and grow up to be good people.

2014/09/01 07:32:52