What Do You Think?

Joe77 2012/05/04 21:58:57
Their School "Policy" Is way out
They Can Put a Sock In It

First-Grader Suspended for Singing 'I'm Sexy and I Know It'

• First-Grader Suspended for Singing 'I'm Sexy and I Know It' (ABC News)

First-Grader Suspended for
    Singing

A Colorado elementary school student was
    suspended from school this week for singing a lyric from a popular LMFAO song,
    "I'm sexy and I know it."
    Those six little words from the Los Angeles
    rap-influenced duo earned first-grader D'Avonte Meadows a three day dismissal from
    Sable Elementary in Aurora, Colo.
    "I only just said the song," Meadows told Denver's
    ABC7 News. "I'm
    sexy and I know it."
    School officials said D'Avonte was
    suspended for sexual
    harassment
    after he sang and the line to a female classmate who was
    standing in a lunch line. Unfortunately, it wasn't the first time he'd
    serenaded this girl with this particular lyric.
    Aurora School District's Media Relations
    Specialist Paula Hans, said in a statement:
    "Aurora Public Schools is committed to
    providing equitable learning for all students. We have policies and protocol in
    place to prevent any disruption to the learning environment. Due to privacy
    laws, we are unable to discuss appropriate disciplinary consequences about a
    specific student."
    District policy, as outlined in the student
    handbook, states that sexual harassment "must have negative effects on the
    learning or work of others."
    D'Avonte's mother, Stephanie Meadows, told ABC7 News that her
    son had had disciplinary problems before this week's infraction. Last month,
    she said, he was sent to the principal's office for singing the same song to
    the same girl.
    This time, however, he was "shaking his
    booty" near the girl's face, Meadows told ABC7 News.
    "I'm going to definitely have to sit with
    him and see if he understands exactly what the song means," Meadows told ABC7
    News.
    But Meadows still doesn't believe her son's
    recent actions justify suspension for sexual harassment.
    "I could understand if he was fondling her,
    looking up her skirt, trying to look in her shirt. That, to me, is sexual
    harassment," Meadows told ABC7 News. "I'm just, I'm floored. They're going to
    look at him like he's a pervert. And it's like, that's not fair to him."

• Eva (: 2012/05/22 23:02:44
    They Can Put a Sock In It
    Eva (:
    +1
    Hell ya
  • Joe77 Eva (: 2012/05/22 23:38:20
    Joe77
    Thank you
    =)
  • Eva (: Joe77 2012/05/23 00:04:30
  • being me 2012/05/11 20:53:52
    They Can Put a Sock In It
    being me
    +1
    I can't keep my 4th grader from singing it. Unfortunately it's catchy.
  • Joe77 being me 2012/05/11 22:29:32
    Joe77
    +1
    LOL))
    thanks for yerr post
    =)
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/05/05 01:11:14
    They Can Put a Sock In It
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +1
    Kids sing that song All the time where I live. It's pretty harmless.
  • Joe77 ♫♪‼Chlo... 2012/05/07 13:32:51
    Joe77
    +2
    I know right?
  • ♫♪‼Chlo... Joe77 2012/05/07 22:52:08
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +1
    yeah. They just like hte beat. They probably don't mean what they sing.
  • Joe77 ♫♪‼Chlo... 2012/05/07 23:10:07
    Joe77
    +2
    LOL))
    eggxactly
    =)
  • Joe77 2012/05/04 22:42:35
    Their School "Policy" Is way out
    Joe77
    +1
    I mean how sad is that?
    Wasting their time making kids feel guilty or ashame, when the kid porbably didn't know why he was singing it other than the song being stuck in his head from hearing it at home and hose teachers probably do worst things that they have not got cought for yet! but I hope their day of shame comes soon after..... bitter bastards
    LOL)))
    =P
  • cellophane 2012/05/04 22:38:13
    cellophane
    +2
    Singing the song, in and of itself, would not be deserving of any punishment in my book - much less a suspension. But the fact that he was singing it TO someone; considering that he was disciplined for this very activity in the past; and considering that he and / or his parents didn't take it seriously enough to correct the behavior, then he deserved his suspension.
  • Simmering Frog - PHART 2012/05/04 22:03:41
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    +2
    Irony

Here's the irony about this story: The same school system will be pressuring this kid to be sexual active by 8th grade and will be demanding that he attends classes that show how to put condoms on bananas. Get it? Bananas are fun.
  • Joe77 Simmeri... 2012/05/04 22:29:20 (edited)
    Joe77
    +2
    LOL)) Isn't that crazy though, supend a kid for simple lyrics but yet teach them how to be sexually active ahahaha and yerr right they will teach kids now days all that it is to know about protection and sexual behavior at a very young age then people wonder why is there so much teen pregnancy?
    Go figure

=P
  • cellophane Joe77 2012/05/04 22:45:12
    cellophane
    +2
    Interesting point of view. But tell me. If one presumes that schools in liberal states are far more likely to teach safe sex and far less likely to teach abstinence than conservative states; and if teaching students how to properly install and use a condom rather than just saying No leads to an increase in teen pregnancies; why do you suppose it is that the states with the highest teen pregnancy rates are the conservative ones rather than liberal ones? ^?^
  • Joe77 cellophane 2012/05/04 23:08:41
    Joe77
    +1
    It doesn't matter whether they're conservatives or liberals democrats or republicans etc, its not politics. To me its about the insanity of their descision to suspend a kid for singing and call it sexual harassment when in fact the ones that do the harassment is them the "TEACHERS" they're nothing but HYPOCRITES !
    sorry
    =)
  • cellophane Joe77 2012/05/04 23:30:51
    cellophane
    +1
    Since we don't know the little girl's actual reaction to this whole scenario, it could be a matter of the faculty protecting her from something she didn't need protection from. But when you direct something sexual (arguably something as minorly sexual as saying "I'm sexy") to another person, you run the risk of harassing that person - particularly if, as was included in the article, he's wriggling his butt in her direction.

I've heard of teachers who have sexually harassed their students - even had sex with students. That is wrong and is punished when discovered. But I fail to see how learning to roll a condom onto a banana constitutes sexual harassment if the teacher makes the environment as clinical as possible, and where it isn't directed at a particular student.
  • Joe77 cellophane 2012/05/07 13:45:52
    Joe77
    +2
    LOL))) I don't think that there's any way shape or form of making an environment "Clinically" to show a kid in the elementary level how to use or put on a condom a banana as if it was a penis.....that's just sick!! and I'm sorry but I can not and will not agree with that in any way but I know that the fact IS! that they're already doing it in schools. Don't get me wrong I understand your point of view but I just don't see things the way you do morally. After all its all about a kid being suspended over a song so I leave it at that, and thank you though for your feed back and have a great day
    =)

2014/10/23 20:05:40