What do you think of this?

Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke ! 2012/08/11 23:51:58

Last night, at a local restaurant, I saw a couple and their (maybe
a 1 or 1 ½ yr. old) child beginning to eat in the other booth. As children will do while eating at that age,
he had pushed food off of his dish onto the table.

After a little bit, the mother scraped up all
the food he had dropped and put it back onto his dish and told him to eat it,
in which he did.

Now I don’t know about you, but I do not even let my eating utensils
touch the table, much less pick food back up off of the table in a restaurant
and eat it.

What do you think of what the mother did?

• lucythetooth 2012/08/12 02:40:27
    This
    lucythetooth
    +7
    Good to know that mother isn't some misguided germophobe. Her child's immune system will actually be able to fight back if something attacks it instead of collapsing like a cheap folding chair at the first microbe to cross its path. A little dirt is actually a good thing. Humans weren't meant to live in a totally sterile environment.

• Alexander T Steward 2012/09/17 20:13:17 (edited)
  • James 2012/08/19 21:12:52
    This
    James
    +1
    I would scoop it up in a tissue and place it with other portions of completed meal to be thrown out.
  • La 2012/08/15 11:08:04
    This
    La
    Well, when I sit down at a table, the first thing I do is check that it's clean. If it's not, I move tables.

I would eat something that went on the table myself though. I'm not that fussed. It's not going to kill you. You have an immune system.
  • jitko 2012/08/14 19:46:15
    And The Other
    jitko
    +2
    I like this mother way more than the one who place piles of food in front of her child until there is three-foot radius of a crushed and slobbered food on the table and floor around the child. Sure, the table isn't clean... because of the slobs who were in the table before. But the child is building her/her immunity with a few of those slobs germs.
  • Transquesta 2012/08/14 19:12:24
    This
    Transquesta
    +2
    No big deal. A little sweat, dead bacteria, grime, etc. never hurt anybody. Toughens up their immune systems. :-)
  • mustangluver 2012/08/14 18:52:33 (edited)
    This
    mustangluver
    +1
    I thought it said floor, LOL..ok, on the table..there are chemicals on the table and food that may not have been cleaned off so i would not have made my kid eat it..no way..unless there was a table cloth.. But, i am one of those ppl that mind my own business. I did however once see a server drop utensils and put them on the table and i told her and the manager where to go.
  • rr lyrae 2012/08/12 17:01:36
    This
    rr lyrae
    +1
    I think everybody has different strokes, preferences and ways. Food is a very good tool to use to learn personal etiquette. It's all good.
  • Lulu's Mom 2012/08/12 14:22:44
    This
    Lulu's Mom
    +2
    I know what you are saying Duke. I have seen what they use to clean those tables with in some places, and I don't let my utensils touch the table either. I don't eat anywhere that has less then an A rating, but still I am careful about what touches the table. Unless there was a tablecloth on the table, I would not make the child eat it.
  • BlytheSpirit~bn0 2012/08/12 07:35:37
    This
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +1
    Thank goodness he didn't drop anything on the floor!
  • flrdsgns 2012/08/12 05:55:46
    This
    flrdsgns
    +2
    No big deal. I'm assuming it's a decent restaurant though.
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/08/12 05:08:46
    This
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    I think it depends on the place you are eating at. I would say most are clean enough, and honestly you cannot protect your kids from everything and exposing them to germs can benefit their immune system.

But like I said, it solely depended on the place and how clean it is. Some are cleaner than others.
    This
    +2
    Well ya know, it may surprise you but if it was a good restaurant, the table tops are washed between each setting with solutions that kill everything up to and including HIV and Hepatitis "C". The table tops are about as clean as they can it can be.
  • starguide 2012/08/12 04:22:38
    And The Other
    starguide
  • Nan 2012/08/12 04:07:49
    This
    Nan
    +1
    Off the table at home mabe but I doubt I'd let him eat off the table in a restaurant.
  • GeminiWolf 2012/08/12 02:48:34 (edited)
    This
    GeminiWolf
    +3
    I think I would've done the same thing.

the kid is 1 year old; he probably has eaten handfuls of dirt by now.

If the restaurant is decent enough for you to eat at I would hope that they keep their tables clean.
  • lucythetooth 2012/08/12 02:40:27
    This
    lucythetooth
    +7
  • wildcat 2012/08/12 02:12:18
    This
    wildcat
    +3
    The mother did the right thing.
  • foxhound BN0 2012/08/12 01:54:08
    This
    foxhound BN0
    +4
    If the table isn't clean, don't eat there.
  • clasact 2012/08/12 01:46:05
    This
    clasact
    lot of other factor that you dont know to consider,isit a clean resturant,did the kid have a habit of doing that so he would have toeat it,....hard to sprculate on what you dont know
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2012/08/12 00:59:57
    This
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +2
    I would probably do the same. I will eat off the table (depending on the restaurant of course), but not the floor.
  • Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~ 2012/08/12 00:42:21
    This
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    +2
    Not something I would have done........some places the tables are nasty.....wipe the junk around with a dirty rag and some questionable cleaner in an unmarked bottle...risky
  • XENON23 2012/08/12 00:40:33
    This
    XENON23
    +5
    No big deal. I would not do it but I know that we live in a much cleaner world than we once did. Not that far back and we did not even have toilet paper. We once lived with a lot of germs.

No don't get me wrong. I think it is better to be clean. I think this would be a bad habit to put into a kid. I just know it was once a lot worse and this is just not that big of a deal to me.
  • Nameless 2012/08/12 00:13:17
    This
    Nameless
    +3
    Good for her. The table is cleaned prior to each customer and the mother did the right thing. The kid was not going to die from a few germs that may be on the table...
  • La Nameless 2012/08/15 11:10:00
    La
    Exactly, and what was the alternative? Order more food for the kid? Tell the kid to go hungry?
  • looVeeLyy OOnEE 2012/08/12 00:04:32
    That
    looVeeLyy OOnEE
    +1
    Its a way to teach kids not to waste food...back then there werent no dishes spoons forks...what makes it different know?.. ,pointless you ask a question like this...not your kid...people raise kids different you dont like it then dont think about it and move on!
  • oldlady looVeeL... 2012/08/12 03:03:23
    oldlady
    +2
    Back when Level 1? Go back to zero and start over :/
    HELLO
  • I am not real 2012/08/12 00:04:08
    This
    I am not real
    +2
    I think what the mother did is what any mother would do, I also think you ought to up your medication.
  • oldlady I am no... 2012/08/12 02:58:47
    oldlady
    +2
    I think your mother should up your medication and add more germs to your meals because they are so yummy to the two of you.

PROCEED
  • oldlady 2012/08/12 00:01:05
    This
    oldlady
    +1
    I think it's discusting and hope this child can survive "Mommy Dearest" to the age of 18 then get a lawyer and have her removed as his parent :/
  • ken 2012/08/11 23:55:24
    This
    ken
    +1
    She's a knucklehead. Talk about gross.

2014/04/17 18:58:09