Walmart 1: Unions 0

Transquesta 2012/11/24 06:27:35
Walmart U.S. Reports Best Ever Black Friday Events

Company thanks and rewards associates for serving millions of customers

Published: Friday, Nov. 23, 2012 - 6:07 am

BENTONVILLE, Ark., Nov. 23, 2012 --
/PRNewswire/ -- Today, Walmart U.S. reported its best ever Black Friday
events. The retailer saw larger crowds than last year and a huge
response to its first ever one-hour guarantee on key electronic items.

"I'm
so proud of what our more than 1.3 million associates have done to
prepare and execute our Black Friday plans, giving our customers a great
start to their Christmas shopping season," said Bill Simon, Walmart
U.S. president and chief executive officer. "The work of our associates
is even more impressive when you consider they served approximately 22
million customers on Thursday."

Walmart's Black Friday plan
included three events this year at 8 p.m., 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. During the
high traffic period from 8 p.m. through midnight, Walmart processed
nearly 10 million register transactions and almost 5,000 items per
second.

During the 8 p.m. event, customers filled shopping carts with gaming
consoles, video games, DVDs, Furbys, fashion dolls, board games and
Crock-Pots.

At 10 p.m. it was all about electronics, including
big-screen TVs, tablets, laptops and digital cameras. Customers were
particularly excited about Walmart's "guaranteed" items, and the turnout
for the iPad 2, Emerson 32" LCD TV and LG Blu-ray player was amazing.
Customers appreciated this historic offering knowing they were
guaranteed to put one of these gifts under their trees.

Since its events began at 8 p.m., Walmart sold more than:

• 1.8 million towels,
  • 1.3 million televisions,
  • 1.3 million dolls and
  • 250,000 bicycles.

"We had very safe and
successful Black Friday events at our stores across the country and
heard overwhelmingly positive feedback from our customers," Simon said.

In
response to the UFCW's planned protests, Simon added, "Only 26 protests
occurred at stores last night and many of them did not include any
Walmart associates." In addition, the company did not experience the
walk-offs that were promised by the UFCW. "We estimate that less than 50
associates participated in the protest nationwide. In fact, this year,
roughly the same number of associates missed their scheduled shift as
last year," Simon said.

Walmart associates receive a 10 percent
discount on general merchandise bought at Walmart stores all year long.
Earlier this holiday season, the company rewarded associates with a
special holiday discount of 10 percent off most food items from November
9 to January 1 to help make the holidays for its associates and their
families even more special.

Also, to recognize those associates
who helped serve customers during its Black Friday events, the company
is providing an additional 10 percent discount on an entire basket of
goods. Eligible associates who helped execute Walmart's Black Friday
events will also receive holiday pay.

Black Friday is just the start to a full holiday season of savings at Walmart.

Read More: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/23/5005846/walmart-u...

• John 2012/11/24 17:08:39
    John
    +13
    I don't get why people like Walmart. The clothes are junk and you can do much better at a department store sale. Their prices on garden supplies, tools and electronics are not less than Home Depot or Best Buy. When you go to an electronics store, for example, you get a much larger selection and the staff is much better informed on the products

I am far from rich and I like a bargain as much as anyone. I just don't find Walmart a good place to shop.

• Cuthbert Allsgood 2012/11/27 19:07:51
    Cuthbert Allsgood
    +1
    Wal-Mart imports billions from China. I'll spend the few extra dollars and support local businesses first.

Although it is getting hard to find everyday items made in the USA I will still choose to support my local economy and at least shop at places that are locally owned or owned within my state first.
  • RJeffreySavlov 2012/11/26 16:53:45
    RJeffreySavlov
    +1
    A George Soros, SEIU Failure. May they die a horrible death.
  • JET RJeffre... 2012/11/29 01:23:15
    JET
    +1
    Couldn't have said it better!
  • jimmie 2012/11/26 15:46:58
    jimmie
    +1
    American people 0 Labama's boys 1
  • Fashionable60s 2012/11/26 15:14:52 (edited)
    Fashionable60s
    +2
    In this type of economy we are going through, bargains that stretch our dollars trump any union activities. Unions had their place in the past. Today's employers are much better at giving benefits to their employees. By using mob tactics, unions do not win converters.
  • Fashion... Fashion... 2012/11/26 18:43:12
    Fashionable60s
    +3
    Retail numbers don't lie. Unions lie.
  • Ashley 2012/11/26 15:01:57
    Ashley
    +1
    Will retails sales be up this year.
  • charles nelson 2012/11/25 03:33:09
    charles nelson
    +1
    Just like steppin on Bugs, yeeha
  • Kaye 2012/11/25 02:33:08
    Kaye
    +1
    its good that they did well.I buy tons of stuff from them myself.The prices are good.
  • scurvison 2012/11/24 21:16:01
  • Centrist_Bill 2012/11/24 20:39:59
    Centrist_Bill
    +2
    That Union quite honestly didnt have a chance. Here in Sacramento they are extremely weak and Walmart is just to big.
  • Biki~pwcm/potl~ 2012/11/24 20:29:40
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +6
    Unions suck
  • eliosc 2012/11/24 19:36:29
    eliosc
    +6
    Common Sense, won. Unions, Soros and the progressive agenda LOST.
  • John Hall 2012/11/24 18:22:51
    John Hall
    +5
    Walmart should fire any worker who participated in the walkout . You don't need these types of troublemakers working for you .
  • Kookiel... John Hall 2012/11/24 21:56:12
  • John Hall Kookiel... 2012/11/24 22:14:13
    John Hall
    +2
    It shouldn't be a striking worker is a worthless worker . Walmart should and probably will find away to get rid of them these people have the choice to to work or not . If you don't like your job for whatever reason you should quit and find another job .
  • robert.goldsmith.14 2012/11/24 18:15:44 (edited)
  • BigEyedFish 2012/11/24 17:10:16
    BigEyedFish
    +5
    it's like Chick-fil-A all over again!!
    I liked an interview they showed here in the Philly area where a worker was saying that the company gives benefits and paychecks, which is what a job does! Jobs are great!
  • John 2012/11/24 17:08:39
    John
    +13

• Nonpart... John 2012/11/24 21:09:14
    Nonpartisan
    +1
    I own stock in WalMart and even then I agree I really only get things there which I can not find other places. WalMart is not my choice for a place to shop.
  • Kaye John 2012/11/25 02:36:50
    Kaye
    +1
    Bull!Wallie World is great!
  • JCD aka "biz" 2012/11/24 17:05:32
    JCD aka "biz"
    +2
    "Walmart associates"???
  • OPOA912 2012/11/24 17:03:53
    OPOA912
    +6
    Free Market wins again, imagine that! When are Unions going to realize that they aren't needed anymore, or maybe they're just a Democrat contribution organization. Organized Labor = Organized Crime.
  • John OPOA912 2012/11/24 17:21:17
    John
    +12
    You might be right. I no expertise on this subject but didn't the law change during the Bush administration so that businesses are no longer obligated to pay time and a half for overtime? I bring this up because this conversation makes me wonder how long before the giant corporations buy more anti-labor laws.

I am not saying that unions are the answer but I do fear there are no champions out there fighting for the American workforce.
  • Nonpart... John 2012/11/24 21:19:53
    Nonpartisan
    +1
    I would use the United States Government Agency for which I used to work as a good example of why Union representation of the employees is important. Our employer violated both Federal and State Labor laws right and left until we voted a union in to look over the Governments shoulder and tell them that they could not do those things to their employees. They also violated a number of other laws until the Union forced them to be a law abiding employer. I wish that Unions were not necessary, however; considering human nature employers will always need someone to look out for the employees interests to counter the employers natural selfish instincts.
  • Larry M Nonpart... 2012/11/25 04:39:12
    Larry M
    +1
    I can't speak for the union or employer that you were involved in. I can speak for my business where our people are important to us. We pay them as much as revenues permit. We give them flexibility in their schedules so they can attend children's event and take care of their elderly. We loan them money interest free and forgive debt when it would be a burden to repay. I need them to be happy and provide a good services to my customers so that there is satisfaction. And the great thing about having everybody employed is that there is competition for good employee that drives up their wages and benefits. Many companies feel the same way I do. Most people are employed by small business rather than large mega companies and can not afford to pay union pay scales and retirement. It adds cost to the services and products making it more expensive for those on fixed incomes. Those on fixed incomes shop at non union business to save money so they can eat enough. It is popular to trash large business when in reality big business accounts for little of the people who work. But it is a good way to anger and rile up the masses to perpetuate anger against business. In most small business employee vote not to have unions because they are taken care of and valued. That is why unions are on the decline. As for as law and regulations there are so many choking business and they are so numerous that not even (or especially the government can operate without running afoul of some.)
  • Nonpart... Larry M 2012/11/25 05:11:33
    Nonpartisan
    +1
    Well the employer who I am referring to is YOUR Government, they can not even operate and pay proper attention to labor laws which were passed to protect employees from employers who abuse them in unethical and illegal ways.

No good regulations which apply to labor should harm small businesses if they are properly structured, that is something which is the responsibility of your Legislature, and laws which protect the employees from abusive employers is the only thing that I am concerned with here.

As far as Unions I agree that there are good, and bad, just as there are good and bad employers. I wish that there were all good employers like you say you are in which case there should be no need for unions. We do live in the real world and must accept the fact that especially SOME, not all, of the larger employers, including your Government, are bad employers when they do not have someone who represents the interests of the employees looking over their shoulder end up as really bad employers in how they treat the employees.

I congratulate you and all other good employers I wish that all employers could qualify as good employers. Anyone who calls either all employers, or all unions, and how they operate either good or bad is dead wrong and needs to go back to school and learn how th...

I congratulate you and all other good employers I wish that all employers could qualify as good employers. Anyone who calls either all employers, or all unions, and how they operate either good or bad is dead wrong and needs to go back to school and learn how the real world works. Please quit making broad and inaccurate statements about Union this and Union that, it makes it look like you have no idea about what you are talking about, and the same can be said about your broad statement that "law and regulations there are so many choking business". All people who I have heard making those broad generalizations really have no idea what they are talking about, and generally just end up making fools of themselves. Please quit doing that.
  • Larry M Nonpart... 2012/11/25 06:53:38
    Larry M
    +1
    40 years of starting and growing a successful business qualifies me through real life experience. A degree in business and an internship in Hospital Administration didn't hurt either. I have had real life experience in dealing with unions that failed to unionize my business counts as some too. Of course making a broad sweep of a statement is never all inclusive of every situation. And I share your skepticism of how government operations operate. I am no fan of Government as my business is in health care. We are regulated second only to Nuclear Reactors and the duplicative and unnecessary regulations we are burden by are the reality of my life. Of course some regulation is necessary and I am not saying that some are not helpful. I can say with out a doubt that regulation adds an unbelievable amount of cost in providing care and if the armies of gov personal would spend the next 50 years finding unnecessary and wasteful regulation to streamline and cut unnecessary cost it would save billions of dollars. I am not surprised that gov is a problem for you. And it is my wish that government doesn't run out of money to keep the commitments of your retirement plans. That is not to be misconstrued to to mean that I condone all gov wages and retirement programs as I believe they should ...
    40 years of starting and growing a successful business qualifies me through real life experience. A degree in business and an internship in Hospital Administration didn't hurt either. I have had real life experience in dealing with unions that failed to unionize my business counts as some too. Of course making a broad sweep of a statement is never all inclusive of every situation. And I share your skepticism of how government operations operate. I am no fan of Government as my business is in health care. We are regulated second only to Nuclear Reactors and the duplicative and unnecessary regulations we are burden by are the reality of my life. Of course some regulation is necessary and I am not saying that some are not helpful. I can say with out a doubt that regulation adds an unbelievable amount of cost in providing care and if the armies of gov personal would spend the next 50 years finding unnecessary and wasteful regulation to streamline and cut unnecessary cost it would save billions of dollars. I am not surprised that gov is a problem for you. And it is my wish that government doesn't run out of money to keep the commitments of your retirement plans. That is not to be misconstrued to to mean that I condone all gov wages and retirement programs as I believe they should mirror the private system and not be more than the guy paying the taxes to support them. As you say some unions are helpful and some negotiate them selves right out of existence by reaching deals that cannot be sustained.
  • Nonpart... Larry M 2012/11/25 20:52:23
    Nonpartisan
    +1
    To put it bluntly Health care in the United States is one of the worst in the developed world and the recent so-called health care bill really did not do much if anything to improve that issue. As far as how health care is dealt with Frankly I try to stay away from that subject since every time I use health care I get a large bill even though I allegedly have health insurance, what a joke the health insurance is when it does not pay for basic health care. My parents traveled through much of the world and everywhere they went they found the healthcare better and less expensive that any health care that they have experienced in the United States.

I can not comment on any regulations about health care other than to say that the whole system seems to be badly messed up and I want as little to do with it as I can. I just can not afford any health care, though I do pay thousands of dollars for so-called health insurance.

I have been told by health care providers that they spend a fortune complying with the things that some of the health insurance companies require them to do, most of which, according to them, has nothing to do with any Government regulations, just Health Insurance Company bureaucracy and protocols and record keeping.

I get billing statements from my health insurance ...

I get billing statements from my health insurance and from the health care providers for things that they did over a year after what actually happened, and I have to look up to remember the details of. I feel bad for people like my father who has trouble just remembering what happened yesterday. As far as I am concerned everything associated with health care is a terrible mess, no offense intended to whatever part of it you are involved with.
  • Larry M Nonpart... 2012/11/26 16:09:29
    Larry M
    +1
    I'm not offended, my skin is thick. My area of health care started out in Long Term Care and evolved into short term physical therapy and in patient nursing rehab with an average length of stay of 13.5 days sending people home to their families and jobs. 30% is still nursing home and we make their last days as pain free as humanly possible. But the insurances and all health care providers are working under oppressive regulation that is mostly unnessarey and drives the cost through the roof. As far as the insurance companies we work with most want to do a good job. Part of it is that they receive a block of money to provide the care and lose money when patients are re hospitalize. A lot of effort is spent on resolving that issue. Also the new American dream is litigation against providers for a lot of money when the providers find it is less expensive to settle than defend them selves all the way to court. It would make a big difference if those who bring frivolous litigation had to pay all court and Attourney fees and cost when providers did defend them selves successfully. Many more would defend instead of settling.
  • Larry M Nonpart... 2012/11/27 02:03:36
    Larry M
    +1
    It is the number of people who can get healthcare that is figured into that number and maybe possibly rightfully so. But it is interesting that people come from all over the world to have surgery and procedures done from countries such as Canada when in that survey Canada is listed above America.
  • Tic-Toc John 2012/11/24 21:23:46
    Tic-Toc
    +1
    I think you should do a little research. I cannot find ANY LAW that does away with Over time Pay.
  • OPOA912 John 2012/11/24 22:53:31
    OPOA912
    +2
    If ever the economy comes back around (wait 4 more years), then the Corporations will have to pay more for good labor. If not, the employee will simply go to a better job. It happened in 2005-2007. The economy was booming and jobs were plentiful and the pay was great. Now, not so good and no opportunities to move.
  • Larry M OPOA912 2012/11/26 16:12:10
    Larry M
    +1
    You are right, when every one is working there is competition for good workers and efforts made to keep them.
  • SharonJohnson 2012/11/24 16:53:07
    SharonJohnson
    +5
    Union Thugs Union Thugs
    Scum nothing but pathetic strong arm tactics that have put business in hock to the unions. I say goodbye to the thugs
  • D S SharonJ... 2012/11/24 17:39:35
    D S
    +3
    Agreed. Ask anyone that 'worked' for Hostess.
  • Larry M SharonJ... 2012/11/26 16:13:52
    Larry M
    +1
    You are so right, refreshing to see someone who knows the score.
    +3
    The sales figures tell the tale. The wildcat strike was only a sideshow. An ugly one, but just a sideshow. In fact, you could scarcely call it a strike at all; the workers didn't get in it, or not in any large numbers.
  • Larry M 2012/11/24 16:06:24
    Larry M
    +6
    Unions were good 100 years ago when they helped to bring low wages up and create a system to follow before firing a person. However unbeknownst to most people Ford created the 8 hour work day to comply with his desire to work the factory 24 hours per day. He paid his employees good wages because he wanted to retain the good workers that he valued. Later the government wrote the Laws that govern how employee relations take course in non union business. They were a good thing for worker in an economy that was American only up until the 1960s. Now we have a world economy and the use of the workers in private sector is over. Yes they still negotiate very very good wages and retirement packages. They make it nearly impossible to fire even a lousy worker. In fact they have been so good at negotiating these things that they have made it impossible for American Companies to compete in todays world wide economy. Today because primarily of the retirement programs business cannot afford to stay in business. They simply cannot charge enough to pay for them and out of nations companies can produce the same products for much less. Sorry but the granny type lady and those on fixed incomes must shop around and buy the lowest cost products and services just to survive on their incomes. It is n...
    Unions were good 100 years ago when they helped to bring low wages up and create a system to follow before firing a person. However unbeknownst to most people Ford created the 8 hour work day to comply with his desire to work the factory 24 hours per day. He paid his employees good wages because he wanted to retain the good workers that he valued. Later the government wrote the Laws that govern how employee relations take course in non union business. They were a good thing for worker in an economy that was American only up until the 1960s. Now we have a world economy and the use of the workers in private sector is over. Yes they still negotiate very very good wages and retirement packages. They make it nearly impossible to fire even a lousy worker. In fact they have been so good at negotiating these things that they have made it impossible for American Companies to compete in todays world wide economy. Today because primarily of the retirement programs business cannot afford to stay in business. They simply cannot charge enough to pay for them and out of nations companies can produce the same products for much less. Sorry but the granny type lady and those on fixed incomes must shop around and buy the lowest cost products and services just to survive on their incomes. It is not anti union it is math. Today the only place for unions is in the public sector where there is an unlimited amount of TAX PAYER REVENUE (except that many cities and towns cannot afford these retirement packages either. Because of competition to get the best employees business pay their employee good wages and treat them well to limit employee turn over. And as cities and towns go bankrupt they must address the unsustainable cost of high wages and retirement plans. It is not a war against unions, it is the only way for cities and towns to survive, The time of unions being helpful to employees and business and government has passed. This is sad but true.
  • derek 2012/11/24 15:53:33
    derek
    +7
    Rock on WAL-MART! Never cave in!!

2014/10/23 11:48:04