Streep has striking resemblance to "the Iron Lady", Margaret Thatcher for film role. Will she ace it?

flaca BN-0 2011/02/10 17:01:01
Related Topics: Conservative

French president Francois Mitterand say of Thatcher: "she has the eyes of Caligula and the lips of Marilyn Monroe!"

The first still of The Iron Lady has been released and Streep certainly looks the part. She teams up again with Mamma Mia! director Phyllida Lloyd in this tale of, "a woman who smashed through the barriers of gender and class to be heard in a male-dominated world. The story concerns power and the price that is paid for power, and is a surprising and intimate portrait of an extraordinary and complex woman." Or in layman's terms, the movie looks at Thatcher's life and covers political times, specifically the period building up to the Falklands War in 1982 (which ironically was when Sophie's Choice was released).

As for Streep, she had the obligatory PR spiel down perfectly. "The prospect of exploring the swathe cut through history by this remarkable woman is a daunting and exciting challenge," she said. "I am trying to approach the role with as much zeal, fervor and attention to detail as the real Lady Thatcher possesses — I can only hope my stamina will begin to approach her own!" Rounding out the cast are the likes of Jim Broadbent as husband Denis Thatcher, and Richard E Grant playing fellow Conservative politician Michael Heseltine.

Off-screen controversy has already kicked in as the movie was the last to have received funding from the U.K. Film Council, which was axed by the current Conservative government last year (conspiracy theorists claim the film was given funding to annoy the Tory regime). And Thatcher's family aren't exactly thrilled either, as it's rumored that the plot will also focus on Thatcher's apparent regrets as she reassesses her career, all the while dealing with dementia.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/02/10/first-look-meryl-streep-a...

• ETpro 2011/02/11 01:57:55
    Yes, and she'll master the snooty accent too.
    ETpro
    +1
    It will be an enormously challenging role. It's not just the accent. That can be practiced to perfection. But projecting the Patrician attitude of Margret Thatcher will be tough. But Meryl Streep is an incredibly talented actor. My bet is she ace's it.
  • flaca BN-0 ETpro 2011/02/11 02:03:02
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    it will be interesting to see if Hollywood really gets what Thatcher was about. I'm reserving judgment. I can't believe the Brits haven't done this first, since they have more of an inside "understanding" of who she really was.
  • Jimmi Jammi 2011/02/11 00:15:33
    Jimmi Jammi
    I used to like her.....now I cant even look at the c**t
  • flaca BN-0 Jimmi J... 2011/02/11 00:17:26
    flaca BN-0
    ouch! what did she do?
  • Jimmi J... flaca BN-0 2011/02/11 00:26:00
    Jimmi Jammi
    +1
    Oh dont get me started....but I think the devil will stoking up the fire for her.
  • Shawna 2011/02/10 21:48:37
    Shawna
    +1
    Meryl Streep cannot fail so I'm sure the movie will be a success. I am not a huge fan, I mean I think she is okay but overrated.
  • BackRoadz 2011/02/10 19:32:50
    Easily. Meryl Streep will own it...
    BackRoadz
    +2
    Meryl Streep is a brilliant actress.......she'll fit the part like a glove
  • flaca BN-0 BackRoadz 2011/02/10 21:32:36
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    I reckon you are totally right!
  • Caroline - fan of Audubon 2011/02/10 19:06:25
    Easily. Meryl Streep will own it...
    Caroline - fan of Audubon
    +1
    Meryl Streep is a versatile actress who will do a good job pulling this one off. I am looking forward to watching the movie and hope it reveals Maggie Thatcher's real character.
  • flaca BN-0 Carolin... 2011/02/10 21:33:40
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    I can't wait to see if she can get the voice right Caroline. Despite her many gifts (thatcher) her voice was very imperious sounding. Streep will camp it up, and it will come out just like reality!!! LOL
  • Carolin... flaca BN-0 2011/02/10 21:48:40
    Caroline - fan of Audubon
    +1
    Meryl Streep is a lot like Helen Mirren, they can switch roles with ease. I loved Mirren's role as QE2

2014/09/16 21:29:56