Socialists and/or liberals, do you have any argument toward this? (Let's try and keep this friendly.)

666_Maggots~I'm a female! 2012/06/14 21:43:59
If everyone were to have the same income, then what inspiration does anyone have to create new companies when they could do fiscally just as well working for one? Who would want to go through college for 10 years to become a doctor and make as much as they would pushing carts? What about the fire fighters who risk their lives for us and in return are paid $7.50?

I'll add: I'm not trying to use a negative tone; I'm being as sincere as I can. Also, I realize liberals aren't necessarily socialist, but I feel I'll attract more attention to this question by calling out the party that is *mostly* socialist.
***Please correct me if I misunderstood something.**

• Willie 2012/06/15 02:39:33
    Willie
    +5
    First of all, Democrats are not mostly socialist. Most Democrats would hardly consider themselves socialist, and most socialists would hardly count the Democratic party as on their side. The Democratic party is a capitalist organization, and a corporatist organization, just like the Republican party. You need to review the difference between supporting social programs and being a socialist.

That being said, firefighters are not paid a fortune, yet they risk their lives. Soldiers are paid horribly, and they risk their lives. Teachers need 4 to 6 years of college (depending on the state) and they are paid horribly. Nurses have nearly as much education as lawyers, but they make a fraction of the pay. Doctors go to school for eight years, then work three years (at least) as a supervised resident, for which they make about teacher pay scale. Even after all of that, they make a fraction of what investment bankers make.

Money is not the only motivating factor in the world. Some people choose to be entrepreneurs because they like the idea of being their own boss. Some people choose lives of service because they feel an obligation to be of service to their fellow man. People would be better off in life if they chose a career based on what their passions and skills were, or...

Money is not the only motivating factor in the world. Some people choose to be entrepreneurs because they like the idea of being their own boss. Some people choose lives of service because they feel an obligation to be of service to their fellow man. People would be better off in life if they chose a career based on what their passions and skills were, or at least at what things are important to them, than they are looking only at how much money they might make.

I left a job in the corporate sector for one as a public school teacher in an impoverished community. I left the big house, the luxury status symbol car and the fat salary and bonus for a fraction of the pay, a house half the size and an econobox car and you know what? I couldn't be happier. I feel useful, productive, helpful and NECESSARY. I don't miss any of the material stuff in the least. My only regret is that I didn't make this move years ago.

• iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/06/16 04:46:52
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +1
    There are plenty of non-monetary motivations for people to start their own business. Many people that do start their own businesses leave companies that provide them a steady income and end up making much less while working much more as their own bosses - and many simply to be their own bosses, following their own rules.

Many people attend medical school with the intent of working for low-income and in-need populations knowing that they would make more in other areas of medicine...or in fact in some cases would make more as a refuse collector.
  • beach bum 2012/06/15 03:45:44
    beach bum
    +1
    i think that some people go and get a second job since the present job does not pay them enough
  • James 2012/06/15 03:02:25
    James
    +1
    money tree

A socialist's wet dream
  • Willie 2012/06/15 02:39:33
    Willie
    +5

• Vitalani 2012/06/15 02:34:51
    Vitalani
    +2
    This is not what liberals want.... I don't even really understand what you mean. This question should be directed at communists... Not libs...
  • 666_Mag... Vitalani 2012/06/15 02:36:07
    666_Maggots~I'm a female!
    +1
    ^^ that's why I said correct me if I'm wrong at the end. >.>
  • Cthulhu 2012/06/15 02:27:16 (edited)
    Cthulhu
    +1
    I just wish we would do whatever it is we are doing the right way ... whatever that is. The other arguments are just distractions and entertainment. I have spoken!

spoken
  • Wayne TH G 333 2012/06/14 23:56:39
    Wayne TH G 333
    +3
    That sounds more like an example of communism to me but that's why communism has never worked and never can. If you take away the financial incentive to achieve then a society will just go backwards.
  • BILL 2012/06/14 23:44:53
  • Willie BILL 2012/06/15 02:40:13
    Willie
    +2
    Morons and conservatives are one and the same.
  • Metaldane 2012/06/14 22:08:49
    Metaldane
    +2
    What you describe as socialism doesn't match what I've researched if you want a better example of socialism look up Scandinavia especially Sweden
  • Fighting4U 2012/06/14 21:48:04
    Fighting4U
    +1
    You know that the possibility of getting blasted are pretty good, why ask such a question?
  • 666_Mag... Fighting4U 2012/06/14 21:50:52
    666_Maggots~I'm a female!
    +1
    I was curious.....
  • Fighting4U 666_Mag... 2012/06/14 21:59:28 (edited)
    Fighting4U
    Oh ok, plus your not afraid of getting blasted any way.
  • 666_Mag... Fighting4U 2012/06/14 22:00:36
    666_Maggots~I'm a female!
    +1
    Not really, that's really the least of my cares.

2014/10/24 17:11:18