Should we give Columbus credit for discovering America, even though many others discovered it for themselves before him?

tncdel 2012/10/05 16:55:56
Related Topics: Island, America, Ocean
Most likely, during the Ice Age, when wandering tribes followed migrating herds of bison, etc., they were unknowingly crossing the ice from one continent to another.

Others may have arrived here by what is known as "island hopping" across the Pacific Ocean. Later arrivals to the Western Hemisphere included the Phoenicians, Vikings, and others over a thousand years ago. Columbus was a relatively "johnny-come-lately" explorer. Then again you can say any tourist discovers America as well, since they are discovering it themselves as countless others have done.

• Carlos benoit 2012/10/05 22:33:51
    NO [tell us why not].
    Carlos benoit
    +3
    ABSOLUTLY NOT! How can you discover a land that people already live there?

And I will tell you something else that alot of people and grammer school don't teach you and don't know about him; (HE WAS A TYRANT)! He slaughtered many of the Native American Indians that lived there. How can one "honor" such a "Scumbag"?

• Food Stamp Papa 2012/10/06 22:48:44
    NO [tell us why not].
    Food Stamp Papa
    columbus day should be stricken from the calender
  • BlytheSpirit~bn0 2012/10/06 07:46:00
    NO [tell us why not].
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +2
    No for the simple reason he didn't "discover" anything. There were plenty of indigenous people already here. What he did was rape, pillage and kill a whole lot of people. Sure, he was a man of his times, but there's no excuse for his behavior.
  • Carlos benoit 2012/10/05 22:33:51
    NO [tell us why not].
    Carlos benoit
    +3

• Food St... Carlos ... 2012/10/06 22:49:13
    Food Stamp Papa
    +1
    agreeed!
  • ikeknight 2012/10/05 22:00:47
    NO [tell us why not].
    ikeknight
    +2
    Columbus discovering America is Eurocentric and he wasn't even the first from Europe.
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/10/05 18:39:55
    NO [tell us why not].
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +3
    Leif Erickson beat him by 500 years. And the Moors were before that. And like you say others came before that. And many Indigenous People have sites much older than the Bering Strait migration. And Columbus was a pretty not so nice person torturing and killing Indigenous People on the island that he landed on. He eventually recalled to Spain for his misdeeds.
  • Carlos ... Nam Era... 2012/10/05 22:38:52
    Carlos benoit
    +2
    (Thats is right;) But when Lief Erickson came here, he found nothing. Nothing to discover, and so he left.

I think it probably would have been better if he found something to discover. This country might have even turned out better.
  • Nam Era... Carlos ... 2012/10/05 22:50:46
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    Thanks Carlos
  • Smokey 2012/10/05 17:30:52
    YES [explain why].
    Smokey
    +2
    Hey, hey, hey, not so fast everyone! Please allow me to enjoy my day off from work on Monday! Okay! I don't care who discovered America, as long as I'm living in this country! :) lol
  • Metaldane 2012/10/05 17:26:07
    NO [tell us why not].
    Metaldane
    +2
    Even if you wanted to be strict and say he was the first eroupean to let everybody know it existed he wouldn't be it the Vikings beat him to that by 500 years lol.
  • Duke----The Non Racist, Fun... 2012/10/05 17:12:03 (edited)
    NO [tell us why not].
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +2
    No we shouldn't. Just because our comic books in school (our history books) tells us that he was the first, so great and all that; it sure was not true at all and far from the truth. Course our american history books are filled with half truths, plain lies and propaganda just to keep us dumbed down and to cover up many facts of our atrocities we have and still do to to the rest of the world and our own citizen to be seen as #1

On Columbus day, I celebrate American Indian Day, even though they were not the first to be here, they were here the longest and truly took care of this land and it's animal life.
  • Metaldane Duke---... 2012/10/05 17:24:52
    Metaldane
    +2
    Actually the newer versions of history textbooks teach he wasn't the first they stopped teaching that when I was still in school in the 90's
  • Smokey Duke---... 2012/10/05 17:32:57
    Smokey
    +2
    Are you sure the American Indians were first in America? Hey, it's a Federal Holiday and I enjoy taking off. Most people are smart enough to realize that our HISTORY books are wrong. But, then again, I'm sure as heck happy the Christopher brought some slaves with him because without that, I would have NEVER been here living the good life! :) lol
  • Duke---... Smokey 2012/10/05 19:39:12
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +2
    Read again Smokey, I said, "though they were not the first"
  • Smokey Duke---... 2012/10/05 19:42:02
    Smokey
    +2
    I'm sorry, not only am I an idiot, I can't read! :) lol Thanks!

Smokey
  • Duke---... Smokey 2012/10/05 19:47:48
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +2
    No, not an idiot, just read too quickly
  • Food St... Smokey 2012/10/07 22:32:02
    Food Stamp Papa
    they should remove that holiday from the calenders and make you go to work :)
  • Smokey Food St... 2012/10/08 15:26:54
    Smokey
    May I ask what you do for a living? Sir, I paid my dues, and as a WAR VETERAN, I'm very thankful that our Government set aside Federal Holidays for many of us to enjoy. Now, I'm not stupid... I realize that Christopher Columbus didn't discover America. But there are several other Holidays we could take off the calendars too! I'm sure MLK would have wanted EVERYONE to go to work and school rather than celebrating a day for him. Just a thought...

Hey Montell, lighten up man... don't be an ass on my day off! :)
  • Food St... Smokey 2012/10/08 16:29:21
    Food Stamp Papa
    +1
    i was just kidding
  • Smokey Food St... 2012/10/10 15:54:45
    Smokey
    no worries! :) lol
  • Food St... Duke---... 2012/10/07 22:30:39
    Food Stamp Papa
    +1
    why should anyone get the day off for columbus day anyhow?
  • Duke---... Food St... 2012/10/08 01:44:23
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    true
  • Robin 2012/10/05 17:01:22
    YES [explain why].
    Robin
    +2
    all that rewriting.... sounds like too much work to me
  • ikeknight Robin 2012/10/05 22:02:46
    ikeknight
    +1
    Don't worry, it's already been done.

2014/09/23 16:28:56