Should we get rid of vending machines in schools?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/06/10 19:10:51
Related Topics: School, Machine

• Silent Bob 2012/06/10 19:46:30
    Silent Bob
    +5
    If kids choose to eat unhealthy food, then that's their choice! Let kids make their own choices!

• Sayer Stewart 2012/06/16 07:46:47
    Sayer Stewart
    They got rid of a grape juice vending machine in my school because it was too "unhealthy".
    They weren't in schools when I was a kid and there's no reason for them being there now.
  • Freeranger 2012/06/11 13:22:20
    Freeranger
    I don't see a need, save a bottled water dispenser.
  • moo 2012/06/11 08:07:22
    moo
    but they should replace the junky snacks with better ones that are good for your health.
  • Carl 2012/06/11 06:46:10
    Carl
    We didn't have them and we all survived.
  • ~*PoliceGirl*~ (>^-^)> 2012/06/11 04:07:40
    ~*PoliceGirl*~ (>^-^)>
    my school needs more..........
  • Kibelle 2012/06/11 04:06:45
    Kibelle
    +1
    They're unnecessary anyway.
  • Cameryn (◠‿◠✿) 2012/06/11 03:43:38
    Cameryn (◠‿◠✿)
    It's not the school's fault if a kid weighs 500 pounds because he always eats crap from the vending machine, is it?
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2012/06/11 02:56:10
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +2
    I'm tired of health nazis....the problem with fat kids is that they have indulgent parents...I'm a healthy guy....I like a pepsi now and then....I get it at the teacher's lounge

this health crap is just another diversion....vending machines contribute alot of money to the school....I have kids at school...they know I won't support them with quarters...
  • ruru 2012/06/11 01:57:27
    ruru
    +1
    A contiuous diet of sugary drinks and junk food is not healthy for children. Contributes to obesity.
  • Jorge Enriquez 2012/06/11 01:27:48
    Jorge Enriquez
    +1
    why not?
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/06/11 01:01:39
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    They locked up vending machines in our schools during lunches. Do you know what happened? Kid started buying boxes of candy and twelve packs of sodas and energy drinking and selling them for two bucks a piece to other students. At least if schools control the contents of the vending machines, we can be sure that things like caffeine laden energy drinks aren't abused. Plus, those machines often provided additional funding for scholarships, school trips, class supplies and awards.
  • Platinum Fangs 2012/06/11 00:19:15
    Platinum Fangs
    My cafeteria closes at 2:30. I have night classes.
  • gary ® 2012/06/10 23:25:01
    gary ®
    +3
    I recall eating some of the best lunches right there in the school cafeteria. The only vending machines, if any, would be in the teacher's lounge. Vending machines started appearing about the early 70s. I never bought anything out of them, as I never felt the need to "chug down a Coke" on the way to next class. Kids these days are wussified.
  • Dagon 2012/06/10 22:40:55
  • HiYa 2012/06/10 22:39:27
    HiYa
    +1
    Put healthy snacks in them.
  • Jannis 2012/06/10 22:39:27
    Jannis
    I dont see how that helps.So, the kids cant eat crap for 8 hours?...they are just going to run to the nearest place afterwards and stock pile their bodies on it....which is worse than snacking.
  • gvc 2012/06/10 22:37:53
    gvc
    +2
    We are not talking about illegal substances.
    Liberals really need to stop trying to control everyone's life. If you don't want your kid to consume things that come out of a vending machine, don't give them money. Problem solved!
    And I don't give a crap if your kid feels left out....you can explain to them this is YOUR decision.
  • Nikki 2012/06/10 22:33:48
    Nikki
    leave it alone.....you can put healthy things inside.... why are folks always trying to control everything.
  • Helmholtz 2012/06/10 22:32:35
    Helmholtz
    +1
    Interesting that apparently 90% say yes and 5% say no and that these are, in this poll, mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive choices.
  • Reichstolz 2012/06/10 22:30:31
    Reichstolz
    +1
    We should get rid of teachers and call them and pay them for what they are daycare providers.
  • Daryl 2012/06/10 22:28:42
    Daryl
    +2
    No but we should get rid of government schools.
  • beach bum 2012/06/10 22:14:48
    beach bum
    no
  • Just Another Girl (5) 2012/06/10 20:50:59
    Just Another Girl (5)
    +2
    They are handy for a quick snack before or after lunch. Nothing wrong with kids buying items from a vending machine, and the school can make extra money that way
  • Hope 2012/06/10 20:11:26
    Hope
    not really
  • Doreen 2012/06/10 19:59:49
    Doreen
    +1
    No, if there is healthy food such as sandwiches ( not pb&j; ), fruit, juice ( with no sugar added ), granola bars ( also no sugar added ), small vegetable packs, water ( of course ), soup ( yes they do have those ), muffins ( no chocolate ), burritos ( with microwaves near by ), and milk ( not chocolate ). If the students do not like that then they can bring their own lunch or stand in line ( half hour only or not ). The government and other yahoos talk about how fat our nation is and it usually starts in the home and in the schools. The teachers complain about the kids not behaving ( in one way or another ) blame the kid for having some medical problem ( ADHD,ADD, AND SUCH ) then the kid is sent to the doctor to be pumped full of drugs when most of the time ( not always ) good food and diet is the best solution. Soda machines, candy machines, and machines with junk food and sugar pumped food needs to be taken completely out. I think that it is really stupid of the teachers ( particularly of elementary ) who have all these bags of candy that they give the children whether it is for reward or just because. How about nuts,dried fruit ( separate of course because of those who are allergic to nuts and no sugar added ), or dried vegetable chips. Those would also be good thing...
    No, if there is healthy food such as sandwiches ( not pb&j; ), fruit, juice ( with no sugar added ), granola bars ( also no sugar added ), small vegetable packs, water ( of course ), soup ( yes they do have those ), muffins ( no chocolate ), burritos ( with microwaves near by ), and milk ( not chocolate ). If the students do not like that then they can bring their own lunch or stand in line ( half hour only or not ). The government and other yahoos talk about how fat our nation is and it usually starts in the home and in the schools. The teachers complain about the kids not behaving ( in one way or another ) blame the kid for having some medical problem ( ADHD,ADD, AND SUCH ) then the kid is sent to the doctor to be pumped full of drugs when most of the time ( not always ) good food and diet is the best solution. Soda machines, candy machines, and machines with junk food and sugar pumped food needs to be taken completely out. I think that it is really stupid of the teachers ( particularly of elementary ) who have all these bags of candy that they give the children whether it is for reward or just because. How about nuts,dried fruit ( separate of course because of those who are allergic to nuts and no sugar added ), or dried vegetable chips. Those would also be good things for the vending machines. The lunch program needs to also start doing healthier foods. No more brownies, cookies, chocolate milk, sugar pumped fruit, and anything else that is sugar pumped. In the school district that my husband works in, a teacher told him that it was better to feed these kids sugar and fat than nothing at all. That is so wrong and just how stupid is that teacher? Pretty stupid I think.
  • Silent Bob 2012/06/10 19:46:30
    Silent Bob
    +5
  • Doreen Silent Bob 2012/06/10 20:12:00
    Doreen
    +1
    If all of the food is healthy then the kids will still have a choice. If the kids want unhealthy food then have the parents get it or go to the store and get it there.
  • Silent Bob Doreen 2012/06/10 21:03:54
    Silent Bob
    +1
    That's what I mean. :)
  • sky blue pink - American 2012/06/10 19:23:08
    sky blue pink - American
    Instead, replace soft drinks with Gatorade, some kind of juice and flavored water. Other machines, Granola Bars, Dried Fruit or Trail Mix. Healthy Choices in vending machines
    shouldn't be that hard. We want healthy kids, right?
    Have a good one !
  • Doreen sky blu... 2012/06/10 20:04:22
    Doreen
    +2
    Gatorade is actually bad for you ( it gives you a fake energy and makes you more thirsty read the ingredients ) and the juice would be fine if it was not sugar added. I agree with you on the rest though.
  • sky blu... Doreen 2012/06/10 20:16:53
    sky blue pink - American
    +1
    Wow, never though Gatorade could be bad for ones health, thank you. The only juices that I can think of are Apple and Cranberry. Orange, too.
    Have a good one !
  • 666_Maggots~I'm a female! 2012/06/10 19:22:20
    666_Maggots~I'm a female!
    +1
    No! That's the only way I can get lunch because the school food sucks!
  • DesTay896 2012/06/10 19:19:56
    DesTay896
    my school, it takes 30 minutes (on a good day, with alot of people not eating) to get through the lunch line and we have 4 lunch lines. we only have 45 minutes to eat, so i dont bother with school lunch, and i get something out of the veding machine. and i get a drink every morning from the pop machine. theres nothing wrong with vending machines, but i think that there should be both healthy choices and one or two 'junk' food choices.
  • Fighting4U 2012/06/10 19:19:54
    Fighting4U
    But we need to put healthier snacks in there.

2014/09/20 07:59:02