Should we demand our elected officials protect us from cheaply made Chinese garbage?

carl 2012/06/09 17:49:04
Yes, I'm sick of wasting money on that crap!
No, Chinese kids make quality stuff.

• EdVenture Fashion... 2012/06/10 03:07:07
    EdVenture
    +1
    Hi Fashion, What you say is very true and prudent. The question is somewhat descriminate and vague but i think I understand where it's coming from. Unfortunately, I believe that the issue at hand is much bigger and a more serious long term problem for our nation as we know it or remember, in my case. My issue is that our big corporations are shipping all the industry and services out of this country with no regard for our economy, our national independence and the people that live and work here, being, the very same people whos efforts shaped this nation and made the corporations what they are today. The end result will be that our choices and product quality will be lowered to a point which in my mind is unacceptable as efidenced by the health and safety standards we've experienced. Additionally, as we are dependent on oil, with little or no recourse, we are exporting our ability to sustain ourselves as an independent nation. We can see this now with technology, mining and rare earth metals, the steel industries the food we're eating, textiles, clothing and foot-wear, fishing and even medicine. For all we know our grain farms are owned by the Russians or Chinese for one. Process that, don't know how old you are but I remember the firms i purchased from and now they are gone, with the same brand name but of inferior quality and standard. Gee, prices didn't change. Regards
  • Fashion... EdVenture 2012/06/10 06:29:12 (edited)
    Fashionable60s
    +1
    I am with you EdVenture. Slowly but surely, the US is no longer a manufacturing country since we are now become a service country. The draconian tax structure of the US does not allow corporations to thrive and also burdened them with regulations to which no one could comply, since they are fuzzy and difficult to understand. Corporations and businesses are leaving the US in droves. In my suspicious mind, I think the Democratic left is trying to take over all businesses in order to create a socialist country. I do not know if we can turn the tide to make the US a manufacturing country again. Asia is now a manufacturing leader in the world and besides, our national debt is around $14 T and about $1 T is owed to the Chinese. I am just a little commentator and not a pundit. Perhaps you'll find better ideas to turn this country around into the manufacturing power house that we once were. I am just as sad as you, EdVenture about the state of our country.
  • EdVenture Fashion... 2012/06/10 06:44:03
    EdVenture
    Don't agree and the overall tax rate for corporation is 10%, far less than you. All there tax breaks are put into place to encourage growth and development however they, the owners have lost site of that and think its to put in their pockets. Corps don't like regs because it keeps them honest and a level ground for competition and individual growth by people, entrepeneurs and small business. Our problems can be specifically attributed to de-regulation and economic piracy. IMO, Regards
  • Vennie 2012/06/09 19:33:49
    Vennie
    +4
    I think we need to protect ourselves from cheaply made Chinese (and other) garbage. Our government can only go so far in keeping us safe and healthy. Care and attention to our own welfare is required. Examine the product, read the label. If the price is too good to be true, then it probably is.
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/06/09 19:31:54
    No, Chinese kids make quality stuff.
    Rusty Shackleford
    +3
    We do not need the government to protect us from ourselves.

If you don't like cheaply made Chinese garbage, don't buy it.
  • carl Rusty S... 2012/06/09 21:54:15
    carl
    What planet do you live on? The government has all kinds of laws to protect us from ourselves. One example: auto insurance.
  • Rusty S... carl 2012/06/09 22:13:57
    Rusty Shackleford
    +2
    Why are you not capable of refusing to buy products that you don't want?
  • carl Rusty S... 2012/06/09 22:37:09
    carl
    Have you not noticed that 90% of products are made in China. Many necessary items are only made in China. I guess if I want to live in a box I could get buy without buying Chinese. WTF Americans used to be proud of American made now I'm ostrisized for mentioning Chinese made crap.
  • Rusty S... carl 2012/06/09 22:38:31
    Rusty Shackleford
    So what you're telling me is that you are being forced to buy these goods against your will?
  • carl Rusty S... 2012/06/09 22:46:34 (edited)
    carl
    No I am not telling you that. I'm saying almost everthing is made in China. Are you that oblivious to what you buy. Turn your purchased items over and look at the label. 90% will say made in China. Whatever, let our kids get poisoned by cheap chinese crap.
  • Rusty S... carl 2012/06/09 23:29:25
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    So why do you choose to buy that crap?
  • carl Rusty S... 2012/06/09 23:32:48
    carl
    You buy that crap as well.
  • Rusty S... carl 2012/06/09 23:44:04
    Rusty Shackleford
    Yes, but I am not the one that is crying about it and asking the government to take my choice away from me because I am unable to control myself.
  • carl Rusty S... 2012/06/10 01:44:10 (edited)
    carl
    It's people like you that have put Americans out of work through your complete ignorance
  • Rusty S... carl 2012/06/10 01:48:56
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    Personal attacks?
  • carl Rusty S... 2012/06/10 01:49:28
    carl
    Facts?
  • flyingseaturtle BN 2012/06/09 18:15:09
    flyingseaturtle BN
    +2
    It is not their job to tell us where to buy our things and also there might be things you can only buy from china...
  • carl flyings... 2012/06/09 18:22:17
    carl
    +3
    It is their job to enforce a fair trade agreement.
  • Michael=Constitution & Liberty 2012/06/09 18:08:58
    Michael=Constitution & Liberty
    +1
    are these things you need or just want? the government did a bang up job on 9/11 didnt they? you need to protect yourself. id start with our totally inept unhealthy processed foods that are killing "we the people".
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/06/09 18:02:32
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +6
    I don't need government intervention in my purchase choices.
  • Sheila 2012/06/09 18:00:42
    Sheila
    +3
    It is not the job of the gov to protect us at all times.Should we expect the products in our stores to be safe? YES.The dog food thing for example should not have happened. But if we buy American as often as possible then it is not as big an issue.

Personal responsibility is the key. As usual.
  • HarleyCharley 2012/06/09 17:59:52
    HarleyCharley
    +1
    it not thier job.....
  • ehrhornp 2012/06/09 17:54:38
    No, Chinese kids make quality stuff.
    ehrhornp
    +3
    How do you demand such protection? This is like NY telling people they cannot buy soda in cups over 16 oz. How much gov. control do we need?
  • james.g.mcdonald.5 2012/06/09 17:51:07
    james.g.mcdonald.5
    +2
    Don't support sweat shops
  • Rusty S... james.g... 2012/06/09 19:35:07
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    Is someone forcing you to buy products against your will, or are you just too stupid to make your own decisions?
    +5
    We have to protect ourselves. A government that can "protect" us form something can just as easily cram it down our throats. So always--always--be careful what you wish for.
  • carl Temlako... 2012/06/09 17:56:56
    carl
    +2
    How do we protect ourselves when everything is made in China? There are no other options.

2014/10/20 18:05:13