Should Schools Push Back Start Times so Students Can Sleep In?

ABC News U.S. 2012/09/02 10:12:52

• Sidrah Zaheer 2012/11/04 21:52:58
    Sidrah Zaheer
    Early rising is always better for health.
  • wulfbabi 2012/09/26 02:47:11
    wulfbabi
    hell the fuk yea all the people saying no are most likely not students me and everyone i know would prefer later school days
  • Karyngray 2012/09/03 14:36:41
    Karyngray
    No, they shouldn't!
  • 2sly 2012/09/03 11:36:52
    2sly
    They need to get thier butts up early. School is like thier job. They need to get to ben ontime instead of staying up till the wee hours.
  • Queen B 2012/09/03 01:15:49
    Queen B
    Yeah sure, let's coddle kids some more, so they will never get a clue about how the real world works.
  • laydeelapis 2012/09/02 23:20:20
    laydeelapis
    Absolutely! Honestly, I have no issues with the length of school. But it starts way too early. I could handle it a lot better if it started at like, 10 or 11 and ended at 4 or 5.
  • wildcat 2012/09/02 23:09:20
    wildcat
    research shows that a later start time for middle school kids would lead to better grades
  • Michelle 2012/09/02 22:23:41
    Michelle
    Classes start at eight in the morning for my high school. I have relatives on the other side of the province who complain that nine is too early. Personally, I prefer getting out earlier to going in later. A coffee or two and I'm good for a bright and early start. :)
  • Steve 2012/09/02 22:18:24
    Steve
    Then they will want to sleep in after they get a job.
  • Jdogg 2012/09/02 20:48:39
    Jdogg
    No, This is just preparing our kids for the real word.
  • Horace 2012/09/02 19:37:14
    Horace
    +1
    As a person in teachers college I am sorely tempted to say yes but quite honestly, kids need a practice round for the discipline that will be required in the working world, that involves learning early in life to make that difficult choice between, "I really want to stay up late tonight" and "Oh God I have a math test and I am running on 3 hours of sleep."
  • 3414503 2012/09/02 18:41:54
  • Pele Emerging 2012/09/02 18:22:10
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    LOL! They should push back start times so TEACHERS can sleep in (as a teacher who is also a night owl, I always have a hard time getting back to early to rise).
  • Nikki +... Pele Em... 2012/09/02 23:55:11
    Nikki +In God We Trust+
    Oh so you care about yourself, not the students.
  • Pele Em... Nikki +... 2012/09/03 00:01:17
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    What a totally ignorant statement! As should have been obvious, the remark was made in jest. I get up and get to work. As much as I could wish that there was a school which began at noon and went until 7:30, there is not.

Were you just wanting to start a fight, or do you really believe that teachers put themselves before their students? Oh, and do you put your job before yourself? Do you put your boss's interests before your own? Do you put everyone else in your life before yourself? I sincerely doubt it. Like most teachers, there are times when you simply must look after yourself. It's like the airline's emergency training: If you're traveling with a child, you put your own oxygen mask on FIRST, and then help the child. If you don't do this, you may lose consciousness and be unable to help either the child or yourself. There are times when a teacher's self-care is in the best interests of the stduents.
  • Nikki +... Pele Em... 2012/09/03 01:53:27
    Nikki +In God We Trust+
    Many a things said in jest are meant. Who are you to judge me? You know nothing about me. Your comment is ignorant. I can't believe you are a teacher.
  • Pele Em... Nikki +... 2012/09/03 02:12:55
    Pele Emerging
    Well, I can't believe you're human. Who are YOU to judge me?
  • Nikki +... Pele Em... 2012/09/03 23:55:20
    Nikki +In God We Trust+
    I'm not juding you. I stated my opinion. You are doing the judging.
  • Pele Em... Nikki +... 2012/09/04 00:27:14
    Pele Emerging
    "Your comment is ignorant. I can't believe you are a teacher."

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck, or more likely, a troll. Oh, so you're know I really am a teacher, the word is judging, not juding. Normally, I wouldn't correct spelling or grammar at all. I make mistakes when the brain to finger interface isn't working correctly, but since you doubt I'm a teacher, I figured I'd act like one.

You're judging me, btw, too, by stating that what was said in jest was really meant, and that, therefore, I do not put the students' best interests at heart.
  • Nikki +... Pele Em... 2012/09/04 00:51:25
    Nikki +In God We Trust+
    +1
    Firstly, I never said I was a teacher, Mr, know it all. Secondly, it was a typo. You should go back to school and learn some manners & etiquette.
  • Pele Em... Nikki +... 2012/09/04 01:55:53
    Pele Emerging
    I never claimed you were a teacher. You said, "I can't believe you are a teacher." I told you directly that I didn't ignore your typo because of your doubt. It's not MR. anything, either. If you took the time to actually check, you'd see that I'm female. Pele is the Polynesian goddess of volcanoes and fire, but how I came to chose it is something my friends on SH know.

I do find it amusing that you start a fight by being rude, and then tell me I need to return to school for manners and etiquette. Pot to kettle: You are black. Please make sure you've removed the plank from your own eye before worrying about the mote in mine.

Please go troll some other place. I'm done. I recognize the futility of continuing to argue with someone who can only find fault in another. If you must have the last word, so be it. I've had enough.
  • Nikki +... Pele Em... 2012/09/04 02:57:49
    Nikki +In God We Trust+
    You are a sick puppy. I simply stated my opinion. You are the one that is rude and ignorant, if someone does not agree with you, then comes the character attack. Such a limited vocabulary. Go suck on a prune. :)
  • Gabsters<3 2012/09/02 17:45:06
    Gabsters<3
    I don't want school to end later in the day than it will now.....
    no
  • Rebel geek. 2012/09/02 16:43:55
    Rebel geek.
    EVEN I A 13 YEAR OLD KID KNOWS THAT THAT IS BULL SH!T...........IF THEY DO THAT THEN THE PEOPLE WHO WORK WITH FCPS (MY SCHOOLS SYSTEM) WILL HAVE IT BAD!!! YOU WILL NOT GET ANY MORE SLEEP THAT WAY JUST GO TO BED EARLY PEEPS SO YEA GETTING OFF MY SOAPBOX NOW
  • AvaC 2012/09/02 16:35:20
    AvaC
    +2
    Students need to learn and apply good time management skills so that they can go to bed earlier. Problem solved!
  • Lili13 2012/09/02 16:34:56
    Lili13
    +1
    Yes since i never get enough sleep plus my school starts early at 8:30 and its far away so i have to wake up way before that time =\
  • Rebel g... Lili13 2012/09/02 16:45:04
    Rebel geek.
    YEA WELL YOU STILL DON'T GET ANY MORE SLEEP OK I WAKE UP AT 5:30AM AND I JUST GO TO BED AT 8:30PM SO I GO TO BED EARLY
  • Lili13 Rebel g... 2012/09/02 16:48:16
    Lili13
    Woah no need to write that in caps lock ! and umm i am a busy person during school and so i cant go to sleep at 8:30pm and even if i would want to i wouldnt be able to sleep until its past midnight and i have a long journey on the way to school so yh
  • Rebel g... Lili13 2012/09/02 16:50:31
    Rebel geek.
    yea but it also would be hell for the teachers and bus drivers and cositains and lunch ladys
  • Lili13 Rebel g... 2012/09/02 16:53:00
    Lili13
    For teachers its only for some not all and the bus drivers its their job so they gotta do it plus the lunch ladys as long as i know come at 11 or something
  • Nikki +... Lili13 2012/09/02 23:56:34
    Nikki +In God We Trust+
    It is not about you!! It is about what is best or the students.
  • Lili13 Nikki +... 2012/09/02 23:59:13
    Lili13
    Oh god... Its my opinion !!!! and its not like they are really goona do that so yh
  • Nikki +... Lili13 2012/09/03 01:54:14
    Nikki +In God We Trust+
    +1
    I see Lili. :)
  • Rebel g... Nikki +... 2012/09/03 11:40:06
    Rebel geek.
    +1
    i hate when no one sees my point of veiw.................... sighs
  • Lili13 Rebel g... 2012/09/03 11:51:59
    Lili13
    +1
    Dw i see your view its just that i have a different view :)
  • Nikki +... Rebel g... 2012/09/03 23:56:31
    Nikki +In God We Trust+
    I know, just don't worry about it. :)
  • Michelle Lili13 2012/09/02 22:27:56
    Michelle
    Go to bed earlier if you don't get enough sleep. My school starts at 8:00 and I used to have to get on the bus at 7:00, so I know how it feels. Thinking schools should change their schedules to accommodate people's social life is ridiculous. Learn responsibility and self-regulation. Do your homework before going anywhere and go to bed at a reasonable hour. If school started later, you'd probably start going to bed even later anyways. If you can't get to bed at a reasonable hour when you have to get up early, what makes you think you'd be any better off bumping your sleep time up an hour? You'd just go to bed an hour later.
  • laydeel... Michelle 2012/09/02 23:22:34
    laydeelapis
    It's not exactly easy to get in early when you factor in work, extra-curriculars, and the homework load we get.
  • Michelle laydeel... 2012/09/02 23:44:29
    Michelle
    If you plan for sleep instead of for what you want to do during the day, it's easy. IF you have extracurriculars or work, plan social activities for free days so you'll have time to sleep. Do your homework when you get home from school (or work or extracurriculars that begin immediately after school) before going back out. It also helps if you learn to know yourself: what are your strengths and weaknesses? Except when teachers check and/or evaluate your homework, you can save time by not doing redundant problems that you already fully understand. Most of my teachers, at least in grades 11 and 12, encouraged this so we could spend more time working on what we didn't understand. Take advantage of your spare time, too. If you know that you have some sort of sport or club after school and then work immediately after and you won't be home until late anyways, do your homework during you lunch hour or in the car (if you're not driving yourself)-- and if your teachers don't check if it's done the day after, get a bit more sleep and do the homework the next day when you actually have time.

Again, if school was bumped back an hour, you'd be facing the exact same problems an hour later. You'd stay up later because you'd have the same amount of things to do and get out of school an hour later. The only way to fix your problems with the lack of time for sleep is to give yourself more time for sleep.

2014/07/25 20:36:16