Should school sport be complasory?

kimlyn 2012/02/15 06:47:29
no
If your child comes dead last in a race and is luaghed at do you not think she/he will have a negative outlook on not only school sport but also the school in general?

i remember coming dead last in a race i was forced to run every single year i ran it. It was horrible for my self esteeme and something i dont want for my hypothetical child.

And if they expect all students to run should they not expect all students to draw or sing?

• argusdog 2012/02/22 22:14:34
    no
    argusdog
    +3
    Next time, try spell check before hitting submit. I saw this and thought, what the is complasory??? I figure, based on the text that followed, you meant compulsory.

On to my opinion. No, it should not be mandatory, obligatory, or compulsory. Not sure why you were forced to run, but if people don't have to cite the pledge, they shouldn't be forced to run in a race.

As for your self-esteem, get a tissue, blow, and get over it. People come in last, it's part of life. It's as fair as winning. In competition, someone wins, someone loses. Losing is all about what you do next. Do you get up, dust yourself off and try harder, or do you whine and complain while the others who competed try and get better, and then do, and you're left even further in the dust. It's a matter of how you feel inside. If you're more focused on how people react or treat you, then your priorities are not in order.

• critter171 2012/03/06 02:20:07
    no
    critter171
    No it matters on how hard you try it may effect some you already had self of steam issue. with me in gym class.. i would dive on gym floor.... and just enjoy what i was doing... i was the last in dodge ball and tried to get everyone to win on my side but we lost... not a big deal... its all in fun
  • OblivousPain 2012/03/05 04:05:45
    yes
    OblivousPain
    +1
    Running is good for your heath no matter what size or shape you are. At the school I went to you didnt need to race you just needed to do miles and now some of the fluffy kids I knew then are as skinny as I am.
  • critter171 Oblivou... 2012/03/06 02:20:31
    critter171
    Running is not good for your health
  • Oblivou... critter171 2012/03/06 04:09:38
    OblivousPain
    +1
    Yes it is it keeps you fit and healthy
  • critter171 Oblivou... 2012/03/06 12:49:39
    critter171
    running can't keep someone healthy you moron http://www.examiner.com/dc-in...
  • Oblivou... critter171 2012/03/08 01:08:04
    OblivousPain
    +1
    That is that persons opinon running is fun and does not make you ugly look at my profile pic I run distance and I look normal as anyone else. so stfu
  • critter171 Oblivou... 2012/03/08 17:22:05
    critter171
    oh poor you and know its not an oiopion its fact is it good for you to a point but at the same time anything that good you can only have..... so much of it. not to mention that i know from expreince and not to mention a mother made her daughter run aruond 3 years an she died..... for taking a candy bar.... yup running is so good for you .....
  • Oblivou... critter171 2012/03/08 23:05:53
  • Harry 2012/02/29 16:52:29
    no
    Harry
    +1
    No, it shouldn't even be compulsory.
  • smitty 2012/02/24 22:01:38
    yes
    smitty
    Something should be. I played lots of sports. I was good at some and other not so good.

We have something in common. I ran a long distance race in school, I forget what year. Dead last.. I mean dead dead last. It was so far in last place I had a few run up to me and ask if I wanted help to get across. Man talk about embarrassing. I never ran that race again but I did other things.

We were all friends. Needless to say one of the guys caught a pass in a football scrimmage. Needless to say I got up after I tackled him extended my hand out and said "Do you need help to get up?" Took him 10 minutes to clear the cobwebs.. Man I loved school.
  • sash 2012/02/24 03:13:22
    no
    sash
    Some form of physical activity should be compulsory. Having track events is a sport, making kids run around the block a few times is just good physical activity. Someone always comes in first and someone comes in last. That applies to so many things throughout life. Coming in last should make you want to improve so it doesn't happen again. If you can't handle coming in last or being laughed at do something about it.
  • Aksana 2012/02/23 15:02:12
    no
    Aksana
    Nope
  • boneman1 2012/02/23 03:32:13
    no
    boneman1
    I don't think school sports should be mandatory, but I do think all kids that are physically able should have to take P.E. classes every year if they're not participating in sports.
  • cate 2012/02/23 00:51:01
    no
    cate
    Compulsory?
  • argusdog 2012/02/22 22:14:34
    no
    argusdog
    +3

• kimlyn argusdog 2012/02/27 07:34:29
    kimlyn
    yes I should, I have a spelling disorder I went to many extra lessons as a kid to get over it and im okay now but when tired become terrible again... its something to do with swapping letters and spelling phonetically.... it was quite anoyying in school because i have an extreemly large vocab due to my arty perants who forced me to watch shakespear and jane austin movies and to read constantly so i never got the mark i deserved because id get minused for spelling mistakes....

anyways enough about that.....

I fully understand loosing and oviously have come to accept that someone has to loose BUT my point is that i would far rather loose in something that im compitent in.... not everyone is athletic therefore if you are going to force people to run you may as well force people to enter an art compitition.

my self esteem is fine if im in my own enviroment and i know that if i loose then i can put in more effort and win next time where as with sport i have never been quite so lucky and forcing someone to run a race which they take about 5 more minutes in then everyone else is like forcing an introvert onto a stage. Ofcoarse its going to knock you negatively....

however i do believe that physical activity is nessisary... and because we are all capable to do something physical i believe phys ed/ sports day/any other event should have something to cultivate the body in a way that no one can feel embarrased or inferior...for example i do yoga
  • Drea 2012/02/22 19:49:39
    yes
    Drea
    Coming last shouldn't make you fee like a total loser, well maybe a little at first but that'snot the point. I used to do just ok but by pushing myself to be better than most of the other people in my class I've improved my grade, health, confidence and get picked to join in school activities! :D
  • Flickdraw 2012/02/22 03:55:33
    yes
    Flickdraw
    +1
    School sport should be compulsory, sport's days and events should not. Physical education is an important part of growing up. The problem is in the activities which are available... They should be much more varied and people should chose which sports they wish to take part in. Rather than some blunderbuss of an instructor shouting "FOOTBALLL!!! NOW!!!!"

I was terrible at football and most other sports but was rather decent at badminton. But 95% of the time we had to play football and I hated it. It would be a lot better if physical education was held at the same time of the week for every pupil at the school and allowed inter-year groups and clubs which could spend the time doing and learning about the sports they like.

Exercise, social skills, self-esteem (when doing things you're good at), team building, good sportsmanship... The list of possitives would FAR outweigh the negatives if it was done correctly.

Shuttlecock!
  • O'l Jarhead 2012/02/21 07:56:40
    no
    O'l Jarhead
    There is a difference between exercise and sports. The purpose of exercise is really the activity, not the type of activity. It serves the purpose of getting the heart rate up, alertness and refreshed when returning to class. Sport is for competition, team work and learning sportsmanship. Some exercise should be required, up to 8th. grade. For some it will be the ONLY exercise they get.
  • william Matthews 2012/02/20 15:15:54
    no
    william Matthews
    No not everyone is good at sports
  • Anne Fischer 2012/02/20 08:35:34
    yes
    Anne Fischer
    +1
    Well it should be to get your childs moving, but not too hard I suppose, no training like a murder machine. If your child wants a sport carreer it's easy, besides if they are undeciding you can allways see where they are going with careers. ^^
  • Bunk11 2012/02/17 22:48:14
    no
    Bunk11
    +1
    Spelling should be compulsory, however.

If you mean gym classes, then those too should be compulsory. I sometimes finished last in races, occasionally by a lot, but I got over it. I knew how to play some sports and thus surprised people who didn't expect me to be any good.
  • Miko 2012/02/17 13:31:30
    no
    Miko
    But It will be a good step to have a well healthy generation
  • Gregaj7 2012/02/16 06:04:25
    yes
    Isn't English/spelling compulsory?
    As to your question, been there, including the laughter, and done that.
  • ..::localeye::.. 2012/02/15 22:08:23
    no
    ..::localeye::..
    No but school sports build character...at least they used to before the world became "Everyone wins!!!"
  • Gino™ 2012/02/15 18:53:43
    no
    Gino™
    If you came in dead last it means you should have trained harder.
  • rugrat1411 2012/02/15 18:48:32
    no
    rugrat1411
    Not everyone is able to play sports, I sucked really bad and hated gym. Always last and really wasn't wanted then either. I always said I would never force my children to play a sport but if they started one they had to finish. One played multiple sports all her life and even played in college and the other stopped in Jr. High and refused to play in high school.
  • The Winter Sodahead 2012/02/15 17:01:29
    no
    The Winter Sodahead
    I have more important things to do than play some sport, I actually want some free time
  • Prime Time Lime 2012/02/15 16:47:51
    yes
    Prime Time Lime
    Gym should be compulsory.Look at the obesity in schools.Logic says if one takes calories in they need to get rid of the calories as well.Students sit all day in school and get no exercise.Years ago when I was attenting school gym was a mandetory class and there was little obesity.
  • jacktown kid 2012/02/15 15:59:30
    no
    jacktown kid
    Forget that silliness
  • TheMadChameleon 2012/02/15 13:42:08
    no
    TheMadChameleon
    I did my sports outside of school, and frankly wasn't interested in the sports the school had to offer. Heck, my high school didn't even have a competent gym program, and there were no casual sports--you were highly competitive or you didn't join!
  • Bwanamaate Africa 2012/02/15 07:09:53
    no
    Bwanamaate Africa
    not really it has to be by the choice of the child whether to really participate in the school sport or opt otherwise and such sport should not be "forced " onto the kids because it is there life yo live and not to be dictated too......................

2014/10/20 08:19:21