Should Pets Be Prescribed Psychiatric Drugs Intended for Humans?

ABCnews.com 2012/02/10 21:55:23
More and more often, psychiatric drugs like Prozac are being prescribed to dogs in order to aid them in a handful of conditions that are also found in humans. Is it a good idea -- or does prescribing human drugs to pets sound like a questionable strategy?

pets on drugs  pets  drugs

• Cityrat 2012/02/13 22:35:15
    No, there are other ways to soothe or train them.
    Cityrat
    +6
    It's already bad when almost an entire country is on antidepressants because they aren't living the lives they should be. Now we want to medicate our animals because our lives are even depressing THEM. This is SO wrong Amerika. Find your passion. Be happy and your dog will cheer up too!

• rph3636 2012/02/19 05:06:37
    Yes, if it will help them.
    rph3636
    Yes only if their owns are forced to take the drugs first.
  • Deborah 2012/02/18 02:32:59
    Yes, if it will help them.
    Deborah
    Not all pet meds can work with increasing parasites and micros. I think you should allow vets funding to examine the posibilities since most pets are like children with great mourning upon their death.
  • Kitty Kat 'CARROT' 2012/02/17 14:14:18
    Yes, if it will help them.
    Kitty Kat 'CARROT'
    i ment no it's crual
  • liz is still alive 2012/02/17 05:56:47 (edited)
    Yes, if it will help them.
    liz is still alive
    I don't think many people are reading the options. It says 'yes, if it will HELP THEM' meaning if they're NOT dangerous or harmful. Why can't dogs be helped using drugs when nothing else works if people can? I'm not saying all dogs should be given them, just if it is sure to help and his/her owner decides to use them.
  • katy.isodo 2012/02/15 18:24:09
    Yes, if it will help them.
    katy.isodo
    I think various other things should be tried first.
  • Riobhca 2012/02/14 23:12:20 (edited)
    Yes, if it will help them.
    Riobhca
    Some animals have psychiatric disorders and can benefit from the dame drugs that are used for humans with these disorders. If a qualified veterinarian comes up with a diagnosis that merits these drugs being prescribed, there is nothing wrong with it. I'm a vet tech and I have seen cases such as where a dog had such severe anxiety that he chewed his paws raw. He was prescribed Xanax and it calmed him enough to where behavior modification could be done. Before taking the drug, he was so full of anxiety that he couldn't respond to behavioral therapy. What is so terrible about that? I have also seen Clomicalm and similar drugs help anxiety-ridden animals tremendously. While it is true that they can have side-effects, sometimes the relief that the animals gets is worth it. If they are used intelligently, these drugs can help animals tremendously.

Those who said that there are other ways...Sometimes this is true. But there are many cases wherein the animal can only be helped in conjunction with the drugs.
  • 2585661 2012/02/14 21:15:07
    2585661
    DANGEROUS. It makes them go crazy! That chimpanzee that tore off that womans face was given Zanax that day.
  • Moonchild 2012/02/14 20:00:14
    Yes, if it will help them.
    Moonchild
    +1
    Ever tried a dog pain pill? I think their meds are better than ours! dogs on drugs
  • fcombs Moonchild 2012/02/22 23:21:02
    fcombs
    +1
    ROFL LMFAO lololololol Did this dog really have drugs? I have given my dog pain pills, and he just goes to sleep. But it's a great face and gave me a great laugh.
  • FlyAway 2012/02/14 19:28:17
    FlyAway
    Enough people are doped up with crap like Prozac, let's not do the same to dogs.
  • Emily 2012/02/14 19:17:19
    Yes, if it will help them.
    Emily
    Personally, I think that if the medication is going to help the animal, then it should be accepted for the dog to take. As a pet owner with both a dog and two cats and a big animal lover, I believe that it should be acceptable in our society. My old dog (may she rest in peace) was on psychiatric meds. in her later years before her death and they helped her
    immensely. Why can't what is OK for people be ok for animals too if they need it?
  • 2585661 Emily 2012/02/14 21:16:38
    2585661
    You obviously don't know what happens to most people on pills, it makes them more depressed, more anxious, and sometimes causes mania, psychosis, violence, cliptomania, gambling, side effects, heart problems. etc
  • Fef 2012/02/14 18:36:41
    Yes, if it will help them.
    Fef
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/02/14 17:38:30
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    There were times I wished I has a supply of Puppy Uppers and Doggy Downers to deal with one extreme or another, but found that hugs and nurturing worked just fine.
  • mae 2012/02/14 17:32:11
    mae
    +2
    Long walks in the park, on the beach, mountain trails, and loving care from those you love works well for both humans and dogs.
  • Victamon 2012/02/14 17:28:43
    Victamon
    Many issues: the most obvious of which, canines have not the same ability to communicate how they're feeling as do human beings.
    Secondly, people society is waaay over-medicated as it is; there are much less addictive, sensible ways to solve your depression.
    Thirdly, while true they are mammals and loike rats and mice and chimpanzees share a majority of the same neurotransmitters, dogs are rather a sentient species to go toying about like guinnea pigs ..
  • chrystal97 2012/02/14 17:04:32
    chrystal97
    This is the same mentality that caused many Americans to pop a pill for anything. Now we are doing the same for animals?? What happened to trying other methods first?? Like finding out why the dog is behaving that way?? Then trying to solve the problem!!!
  • kcandi 2012/02/14 16:47:16
    kcandi
    Probably the humans they are living with need the meds. man on leash
  • Michael 2012/02/14 16:33:24
    Michael
    There are too many dogs, let's stop "inter-breeding" them and that will take care of a lot of medical as well as "psychological" problems.
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2012/02/14 16:07:46
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    No, most trouble is caused by dogs being bored out of their skull and untrained. The only exception I have one dog who's extremely thunder storm phobic and I use Bach's Flower Remedy for her. She's getting old and deaf and thankfully she doesn't hear it so much any more. :-(
  • Wikkid Kaos 2012/02/14 15:21:02
    Wikkid Kaos
    +1
    no, i dont beleive in animal testing because animals have completely different chemistry than humans so why would we giove them the prescription drugs meant for humans
  • MJ 2012/02/14 14:35:28
    MJ
    +1
    I believe that animals, as a rule, should not be prescribed psychoactive medications. However, there are exceptions to this when pets become a danger to themselves. Then all steps must be taken inorder to protect them.
  • DizziNY 2012/02/14 14:29:14 (edited)
    DizziNY
    +1
    No sir I don't like it.

ren and stimpy hore
  • AM 2012/02/14 14:20:27
  • Sandman366 2012/02/14 14:07:48
    Sandman366
    +2
    Because the crap we feed animals wasn't bad enough. Now we should give them drugs to help with the crap we're feeding them?

The dog looks too scared. This might work better...
    crap feed animals drugs crap feeding dog scared work
  • Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA 2012/02/14 13:29:27 (edited)
    Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA
    +1
    People abuse them so now "Fido" should..
  • the fuze 2012/02/14 12:42:10
    the fuze
    +2
    Yeah, it's not bad enough that we have people on all kinds of pills but now their/our pets have to be as well??? Enough already.
  • Aingean 2012/02/14 12:23:11
    Aingean
    +2
    I don't think there are that many dogs that would require a psychiatric drug... None of mine do...Now when they are old and are in pain and giving them something for arthritis is another story to make them comfortable, I will NOT see my babies in pain.
  • Daft lad 2012/02/14 11:25:39
    Daft lad
    No i dont think its right. You wouldnt have a Bob Martin!! would you
  • Chukroast 2012/02/14 10:14:02
    Chukroast
    +1
    Pets have different constitutions and chemical balances than humans.
  • Wizard 2012/02/14 10:07:58
    Wizard
    +1
    I know insanity can happen to a pet
    but it is too rare to be prescribing drugs.
    Disapline usually works wonders and is a lot cheaper too.
  • Missydynamite 2012/02/14 08:43:23
    Missydynamite
    +3
    They really have to stop treating dogs and other pets like humans. Dogs like to run, play , roam around in the park or the forest, the are not build to be a fashion accessory or a handbag item. I have two dogs, i walk them 3x a day in the forest, play with them and they hare happy!
  • Peewee ... Missydy... 2012/02/14 16:10:35
  • Wendy 2012/02/14 07:33:46
    Wendy
    +2
    It's better to get pets trained rather than to give them drugs
  • fcombs 2012/02/14 07:21:01
    Yes, if it will help them.
    fcombs
    +2
    A lot of drugs were tested on dogs, and a lot of medications that help humans have basically the same effect on dogs. So, I'd give it a sh ot if the problem was bad enough. I don't really like the idea - a dog is a dog and ought to be chasing squirrels not downing pills for depression.
  • abbiekat 2012/02/14 07:14:48
    Yes, if it will help them.
    abbiekat
    +2
    I'm not sure, but if an animal is really sick and human medication can make them better when nothing else seems to...then I rather give my dog human pills then have them suffer, get even more sick or die.

pills pills sick dogs
  • ReasonOverFaith BN - 0 2012/02/14 07:11:57
  • NYCbrit ReasonO... 2012/02/14 08:20:15
    NYCbrit
    +1
    Great story.
  • ReasonO... NYCbrit 2012/02/15 03:54:31
    ReasonOverFaith BN - 0
    Thank you.
  • Peewee ... ReasonO... 2012/02/14 16:12:08
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I have to keep mine put away or kitty will eat it like catnip.

2014/09/22 04:28:23