SC woman accused of leaving newborn in toilet. Jessica Blackham, 25 year old married mother of a 4 year old. She is facing a possible 50 year prison sentence. Is that fair punishment?

DiViews2014 2011/02/09 03:55:55
Related Topics: Police, color, Bathroom
Punishment too harsh
Punishment is appropriate
http://www.greenvilledragnet.com/jessica-blackham-arrested-in...

Jessica Blackham Arrested in Bi-Lo Baby Case

The woman suspected of abandoning a new born in the Bi-Lo Center bathroom is a married 24-year-old mother of a four-year-old. So far no one is sure why the woman gave birth in a bathroom and simply left the child behind.

From Forbes:

GREENVILLE, S.C. — Authorities have arrested a woman they say left the infant she had just delivered in a toilet at a South Carolina sports and concert arena.

Police Chief Terri Wilfong says the 25-year-old woman from Easley is a married mother of a 4-year-old. Authorities say Jessica Blackham was arrested on Tuesday night after she came to the Greenville police station accompanied by family members.
Article Controls

She is charged with two counts of felony child abuse and one count of unlawful neglect toward a child. If convicted on all charges, she could face up to 50 years in prison.

Officials said they could not immediately explain what Blackham may have been thinking when she gave birth Friday night at the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville while attending a circus performance

• Delete 2011/02/09 08:11:44
    Punishment is appropriate
    Delete
    +5
    She could have given the baby up for adoption, I say lock her up and fix her so she cannot have anymore children!

• themadhare ~IJM 2011/03/05 06:52:23
    Punishment is appropriate
    themadhare ~IJM
    +1
    she won't serve fifty years, but will have to be closely watched
  • DiViews... themadh... 2011/03/05 20:44:30
    DiViews2014
    +1
    I have a relative who still supports in many ways his grown up daughter. She works, but still attends college. My brother does a lot of work on her car for him and generally his charges are very cheap and especially by comparison to repair places. When she has a car problem, my brother tries to explain to him what is wrong and what it will entail to fix it, but generally all he wants to know is "How much is that going to cost me?" Well, that is the question that came to my mind when I read your comment. :) Thanks for commenting.
  • Jstringfellow 2011/02/09 17:07:11
    Jstringfellow
    +1
    She seriously screwed up, but prison is not the best answer for this. She should not have 50 yrs, but 2-5 would be good with LIFETIME parole, and/or restoration for the child's endangerment. She should be sterilized perhaps, given classes on respect of life and law. She's an idiot, but probably not a harm to others now that she realizes what she did was STUPID.
  • DiViews... Jstring... 2011/02/09 21:50:50
    DiViews2014
    I disagree. She gave birth to a living baby who was in no way able to withstand the environmental change. She left this baby in a toilet commode expose to extreme temperatures and choking on his mucus for over 1 hr and 30 min. Had the cleaning staff not found this angel when they did, he would be dead. She was not a teenager, or a first time mother, but a 25 yr old mother of a 4 yr old. This *blitch* should be lit up in the chair. Her own family is sicken by what she did. Thank God they turned her in to the authorities. What happens when she gets tired of the child she has? I can live with 50 yrs.
  • Casy 2011/02/09 16:13:46
    Punishment is appropriate
    Casy
    +1
    What she did was attempting Murder! The baby was only lucky some one found it, after being in toilet left to die . That was a TERRIBLE thing to do! If she did not want it, she should of taken to Hospital and set the baby up for care there til baby could be adopted out into a loving home! She also needs Mental health too! Very sick person to do such a thing!!
  • turtledove123 2011/02/09 15:59:01
    turtledove123
    +1
    She needs to have a mental evaluation, and the child needs to placed into a safe, secure home. She may be crazy as a bedbug.
  • turtled... turtled... 2011/02/09 16:02:08
    turtledove123
    +1
    In fact, she has to crazy to do such a thing. Why spend money to lock her up for that long? She needs mental help, and that child, and maybe her other child need a stable mother.
  • DiViews... turtled... 2011/02/09 21:55:19
    DiViews2014
    +1
    I cannot buy into this sickness. I think she should never be able to be around children again. If she is this sick, I do not believe there is a repair. She had a 4 yr old already. She was not a teenager. She had to know this baby could not live unaided. This baby was in that commode for over 90 minutes unattended in dire distress. Let her do the time.
  • turtled... DiViews... 2011/02/10 06:47:11
    turtledove123
    +1
    I sincerely wonder about some kind of terrible depression? I am not soft on her, and I think what she did was horrific, but I do not think 50 years is going to help her at all. I really think she is crazy. The very coldness to drop a baby, and walk away from it? One has to be nuts. Even if I had been in a dire situation, I would have taken the baby somewhere would it would be warm, and safe.
  • DiViews... turtled... 2011/02/11 01:02:57
    DiViews2014
    +1
    I just cannot reach that far. I remember a young teenager who had a baby and left him in a hospital bathroom and they prosecuted her. I did not believe that was warranted. She had left the baby where it would definitely be found with a note. I could feel for her. I think it is getting to easy for some people to commit atrocities and waive the "crazy flag". Lock their crazy behinds up! When some people commit heinous crimes they are labeled cold-hearted and evil, while others do the very same crimes and are said to be "crazy". I am not buying it.
  • turtled... DiViews... 2011/02/11 12:38:40
    turtledove123
    +1
    That is very true. A lot of times it is on the locality of the person, and sometimes I hate to say it, but it has to do with ethnicity.
  • DiViews... turtled... 2011/02/11 18:09:50
    DiViews2014
    +1
    My primary belief is the later. If this woman were any other color the sentiment on this issue would be entirely different. I tire of the ignorance. Either treat them all the same of punish them equally. Sadly, that is one reason I just cannot feel sorry for her.
  • Giantfan 2011/02/09 13:35:55
    Punishment too harsh
    Giantfan
    +1
    This is a reason abortions should be legal. Even though I'm pro live some people should have children. Or better yet these people who don't want kids should have theit tubes tied or some other form of BC.
  • DiViews... Giantfan 2011/02/09 21:57:24
    DiViews2014
    +2
    It was a little late at this point. I agree this would have been the answer earlier. However, for right now, lock her crazy behind up and take the other child from her as well. I just cannot believe she left this baby in the commode and went home?
  • Giantfan DiViews... 2011/02/09 23:42:02
    Giantfan
    +2
    She's one sick person. If anything I was over protective of my boys when they were young.
  • DiViews... Giantfan 2011/02/10 00:00:34
    DiViews2014
    +2
    I am a mother hen myself. I understand.
  • Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2011/02/09 12:39:41
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +3
    The baby is in stable condition..... thank goodness....
    that is all I am going to say!
  • DiViews... Barefoo... 2011/02/09 21:58:23
    DiViews2014
    +2
    You have the right one in your concern. The baby is the important factor. :)
  • Barefoo... DiViews... 2011/02/09 22:42:57
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +1
    That is right....;)
  • Giantfan Barefoo... 2011/02/10 03:34:54
    Giantfan
    +2
    That's the best news possible.
  • Barefoo... Giantfan 2011/02/10 09:51:09
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +1
    Yes it is.... ;)
  • Delete 2011/02/09 08:11:44
    Punishment is appropriate
    Delete
    +5
  • Giantfan Delete 2011/02/09 13:39:21
    Giantfan
    +3
    I think this woman needs mental help. So now what? We pay for her imprisonment for fifty years. Can you immagine how much this one person will cost the taxpayers. There has to be a better way. Don't do something on emotions. Think it through first.
  • Delete Giantfan 2011/02/09 14:56:25 (edited)
    Delete
    +3
    I agree she needs Psychological help, I was thinking more along the lines of a Psychiatric hospital. I highly doubt she will ever leave, which is not a problem for me... I am very well aware of how much it costs, we also have approx 2.5 million people in Jail/Prison in America hence the reason we are called the "Prison Nation". I believe I read it costs nearly 100 billion dollars per year, which equals an amount of $273,973 a day. I am thinking it through! If we wanted to save money we could release all the people with petty crimes, such as frivolous Marijuana charges! That would save a lot of money, as the statistics show 60% of the said imprisoned people are in there for drug charges.

• Giantfan Delete 2011/02/09 17:55:12
    Giantfan
    +3
    I agree. Too many non violent criminals are in prison. I'm sure many could be put under house arrest or supervised realese. It would save the taxpayers a bundle. I heard somewhere that it is under consideration. I hope so.
  • DiViews... Giantfan 2011/02/09 22:00:27
    DiViews2014
    +1
    lifetime committal.
  • Giantfan DiViews... 2011/02/09 23:43:22
    Giantfan
    +3
    If needed. Maybe something made her snap. If God judged us that way after we sinned we'd never get to Heaven.
  • DiViews... Giantfan 2011/02/10 00:13:24
    DiViews2014
    +4
    I just know the sentiments would be viewed differently with the exact same circumstances for other women. What you say is true of all sin. However, in this case, she needs to be dealt with for the horrible crime she has committed. And, I thank God, the cleaning crew came in time to save this precious baby. I have no great sympathy for her.
  • Giantfan DiViews... 2011/02/10 03:36:32
    Giantfan
    +3
    I'm just happy the child is ok.
  • DiViews... Giantfan 2011/02/10 03:41:58
    DiViews2014
    +3
    Yes, thank God.
  • DiViews... Delete 2011/02/09 21:58:52
    DiViews2014
    +2
    I got to give you an amen!
  • Mystical♥Gleek 2011/02/09 04:44:56
    Punishment is appropriate
    Mystical♥Gleek
    +2
    This is my local news but I don't know them personally. I was wondering when she was finally going to step up and say "yes, i tried to kill my newborn son."
  • DiViews2014 2011/02/09 04:21:24
    Punishment is appropriate
    DiViews2014
    +2
    I am glad the D.A. has promised to vigorously prosecute this case.

2014/10/25 04:29:29