Rave this if You Would Love To Have An Electric Vehicle!

Foxhound BN0 2012/02/04 12:30:17
Making electricity to charge up your car is much cheaper than filling it with gas and much greener too. It won't be long until the range on these is sufficient. Look at the Nissan Leaf if you doubt it
nissan leaf
Nissan Leaf Features:
zero tailpipe emissions/Zero Emissions Vehicle (ZEV)
100% electric - no gas required
high response 80kW AC synchronous electric motor
range – 100 miles/charge based upon US EPA LA4 City cycle1
speeds up to 90 mph
and look at this futuristic interior
nissan leaf

Chevy is also producing electrics, and CA has mandated 10% of new cars to be electric.
chevy volt
Trust me it's a good thing, and cars will be more fun than ever if you're a hot rodder. I just want to know when I can have a fast and quiet electric motorcycle that will get 100 mile range!
electric sport motorcycle

They're green, they're mean, and they are the future of cars. Do you want one now?

• Wild Dog 2012/02/04 14:26:09
    Wild Dog
    +5
    Electric motors have evolved nicely, batteries are too. The motors deliver top torque off the bat ,and can hit speeds prety quick ,but they are still limited in miles if you want to take a trip. Charging does take some time, and for city ,close range driving ,they're great .I have a few reservations about extrememcold weather ,and the effect on battery range ,as I'm sure just as car co's rate their mileage counts on perfect conditions ,and expert driving techniques, but as cost comes down ,it would make a sensible choice for a second car.

• Darnel 2012/02/15 23:47:15
    Darnel
    +1
    Well,.. The tech is over 40 years old,.. but it took this long to get around Big Oil. The biggest issue now is getting around big oils lobbying to make it harder/more exspensive to have charging stations than Gas Stations.

Sigh - we are our own worse enemies when people choose money over advancements in science.
  • prosperhappily 2012/02/10 17:12:20
    prosperhappily
    +1
    There are 3 things I don't like about gasoline powered cars
    1. The price of gas is unstable and trends upward.
    2. A large amount of it comes from an unstable area of the world
    3. It pollutes the enviornment.

So, I'm open to a different fuel source that addresses those issues.

Electric cars don't seem to be ready yet because last time I checked:
    1. They're more expensive to purchase than gas powered cars.
    2. They don't perform as well in the cold.
    3. Generating electricity still generates a lot of pollution. It just comes out of the smokestack of a power plant instead of your tailpipe.
    4. Their range isn't great.
    5. There isn't a lot of infastructure for recharging them.
    6. I can refill my gas tank in minutes, recharging these batteries takes hours, not very convient when you're taking a long trip.

I'll consider an electric car when those issues are corrected.

If I'm out of date, feel free to correct me.
  • Foxhoun... prosper... 2012/02/11 11:15:38 (edited)
    Foxhound BN0
    Ideally one would charge the car at home every night and drive it a short distance to work or around town and back. The nissan leaf might be a good car for a lot of people, with it's stated 100 mile range, assuming they could afford to buy one. When we start using more electrics you can be sure that there will be charging stations popping up all over the place. Charge up at work or somewhere you are visiting, and you can get up to 200 miles. That's a pretty decent range for a daily driver. It's less polluting to get your car's power from the grid than to use a gas motor, and cheaper per mile in fuel. Plus you won't use up gas going to the gas station any more. lol
  • prosper... Foxhoun... 2012/02/11 18:31:44
    prosperhappily
    +1
    It sounds like they might make a good light duty vehicle. I suppose you might use it as a second vehicle that you just use for short trips around town. But, it doesn't sound like it's ready for general purpose use just yet.

I live in Vegas, which is very sunny. It would make a lot of sense for someone in this kind of climate to have a small solar array that they could use to charge the car when they park outside. Does such a thing exist?
  • Foxhoun... prosper... 2012/02/14 19:40:12
    Foxhound BN0
    Some people charge their cars at home and some have solar so it would stand to reason that some have both.
    solar car charging station solar car charging station solar car charging station solar car charging station solar car charging station solar home car charging station solar home car charging station
  • ..::localeye::.. 2012/02/06 15:13:22
    ..::localeye::..
    +1
    No need for cars...I can walk everywhere I need too. Ahhh city living.
  • Foxhoun... ..::loc... 2012/02/14 19:42:38
    Foxhound BN0
    How about a Segway?
    solar segway
  • Anna E 2012/02/05 23:19:02 (edited)
    Anna E
    +1
    I'd like my little Dakota to be electric. It costs about $5000 for the conversion but it's a bit old to spend much on.

So, I'd like something with a little style to it rather than the overgrown electric razors on wheels or things that look like escape pods from some scifi flick spaceship.

Maybe a Himiko, a converted Dodge Challenger, or a Fisker Karma.

Um, here is a couple overgrown razors and a couple scifi escape pods:

escape pods scifi flick himiko converted dodge challenger fisker karma

challenger fisker karma couple overgrown razors couple scifi escape pods
  • jacktown kid 2012/02/05 17:15:22
    jacktown kid
    It would be nice
  • the warrior monk (BN- 0 ) 2012/02/05 14:54:07
    the warrior monk (BN- 0 )
    +2
    yes --- just because people think the technology is not good enough is no reason to stop researching and developing these. We didn't invent the first cars because horses became extinct. We need to continue to innovate and more forward.
  • Louis Shipman 2012/02/05 00:55:02
    Louis Shipman
    No I drive 50 miles a day to get to work and back home the electric cars of today do not have the range that I would need. Also the don't make an electric pickup only soccer mom cars.
  • socokid 2012/02/04 23:52:35
    socokid
    +2
    Absolutely.

However, until they can make one at 20k that gets at least 50 miles a charge, I do not believe the market will explode.

When they do, I will be buying one. I drive less than 50 miles a day. Plug in at night, and I would virtually never see a gas station again. We'd take the gas machine to grandma's house 5 hours away, but for everything else, electric. Gas stations would turn into the place where I buy soda.
  • prosper... socokid 2012/02/10 17:16:16
    prosperhappily
    +1
    Or, if you live in a sunny area, put a solar charger on it during the day. That'd be pretty cool.
  • socokid prosper... 2012/02/10 19:06:34
    socokid
    +1
    Even better! A patch on my roof just for my car outlet wouldn't be a bad job at all, IMO.
  • hari 2012/02/04 23:48:53
    hari
    +1
    its no way economical and have lots of problems for battery its charging the cost of battery / its capacity to last - may be good for small users
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/02/04 23:29:46
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    My requirements for an electric car:

1. The range must be comparable to that of a gasoline powered car.
    2. The range and performance must not be compromised by the use of accessories like lights, AC, heat, radio, etc.
    3. The recharge time must be comparable to that of refueling a car. Currently, I can refuel a car in less than 5 minutes. It takes hours to recharge an electric car.

The future of green driving will not be battery powered... fuel cells are a superior technology.
  • goinpostal 2012/02/04 23:26:22
  • Doug King 2012/02/04 22:38:38
    Doug King
    I don't think so.
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2012/02/04 21:55:15
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +2
    I would love to have Nikola Tesla, Pierce Arrow electric car, no recharging.
  • Foxhoun... elptrek... 2012/02/05 00:10:47 (edited)
    Foxhound BN0
    +2
    yes and that (no battery or small battery with coils) can be done today and in the roads as well
  • elptrek... Foxhoun... 2012/02/05 04:56:31
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +2
    He had everything in the car, in a small box.
  • Foxhoun... elptrek... 2012/02/05 08:34:01
    Foxhound BN0
    +2
    He made wireless lightbulbs too. No more silly wall plugs!
    tesla wireless light
    All these years later and all we are seeing of that technology is wireless ipod chargers. wireless charger
    Which is basically this
    wireless power
    We could be using this easy tech to power road vehicles now if we wanted to.
    There have been some wirelessly powered planes as well.
  • elptrek... Foxhoun... 2012/02/05 08:38:48
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +2
    There is or was a company that is marketing a device base off of electrical transmitting, where there is a wall plugin and a wireless device that you can plug any electrical device and take it to any part of the house.
  • Foxhoun... elptrek... 2012/02/05 08:47:25 (edited)
    Foxhound BN0
    +1
    Wow. The biggest problem I see is aiming. If you send out 12 watts of energy in a sphere the power will be very low at any one location. As a disk it would still be low. To get the most economy, I think you need your transmitter pointing all of its energy right at one point, which means tracking the powered object or using it in one location. I would really like to see the device..
  • elptrek... Foxhoun... 2012/02/05 08:52:22
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +2
    It was suppose to broadcast throughout the house.
  • prosper... Foxhoun... 2012/02/10 17:17:19 (edited)
    prosperhappily
    +1
    He was a genius, no question.

I've heard that the government took his notebooks when he passed away. Wonder what was in them and what inventions have come from them.
  • Foxhoun... prosper... 2012/02/16 13:42:37
    Foxhound BN0
    idk. I hate to speculate on wild theories about him. His known accomplishments are certainly great.
  • prosper... Foxhoun... 2012/02/17 01:36:14
    prosperhappily
    True. He doesn't need embellishment.
  • abycinnamon BN-1 2012/02/04 20:25:34
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +2
    I don't know. I love the idea. I don't know if the technology is where I need it to be. and I would not want it to be my only car. I often go on rather large shopping trips stocking up on things, so I need a fairly large cargo capacity. Which is why I still have (and love) my gas guzzling behemoth. I also have a need to be able to pull a trailer sometimes.

I also often drive >100 miles on a trip. So, if it had a range that would work for me, on non-trailer non-acquisitional trips, I'd love to have an electric if it had a gas powered generator to recharge the battery when I was driving.
  • Foxhoun... abycinn... 2012/02/05 00:22:46
    Foxhound BN0
    +2
    i'm not sure if someone is doing that or not, but it's a good idea. the nissan leaf boasts 100 miles on a charge, so subtract advertising BS quotient and it will probably go 50 miles without the air on. lol
  • SandraKogelheide 2012/02/04 17:51:51
    SandraKogelheide
    +3
    I would like to get an electric vehicle when i could afford it
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/02/04 17:45:59
    Margaret Jacobson
    +2
    YES...........smartcar..........
  • Tudie BN 2012/02/04 17:16:33
    Tudie BN
    +2
    I am not sure about if I would buy one but I would llike to check one out ...I think they are too little for safty ..
  • oldcavpilot 2012/02/04 15:14:27
    oldcavpilot
    +2
    Can't go far enough yet; not everybody lives in a city.
  • elptrek... oldcavp... 2012/02/04 21:57:20
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +3
    Have you ever heard about Nikola Tesla Pierce Arrow electric car?
  • oldcavp... elptrek... 2012/02/05 13:38:16
    oldcavpilot
    +2
    No, but Tesla was an amazing guy, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.
  • elptrek... oldcavp... 2012/02/06 08:00:39
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +1
    The story goes , he had Westinghouse replace the gasoline engine with a 80 horse power electric motor, he bought about 12 vacuum tubes some resistors, wires and three rods, assemble them in a 12 inch by 24 inch wooden box connected the box to the motor, told the driver that they have power now and drove the car around for a week, with up to 80 mph.
  • oldcavp... elptrek... 2012/02/06 14:42:24
    oldcavpilot
    +2
    I read where a guy was building 'Tesla boxes' and putting them on his roof to power his house. One of those technologies the oil/gas/power industries doesn't want you to know about.
  • elptrek... oldcavp... 2012/02/07 05:03:38
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +1
    That is interesting, because of the criticizing Tesla put the car in a barn, pull out the black magic box and stored it away. After his death, the government took all of his plans and projects away.
  • oldcavp... elptrek... 2012/02/07 13:18:28

2014/10/23 01:43:22