Public Opinion Says No Day Off for MLK Day [INFOGRAPHIC]

SodaHead Infographics 2012/01/16 23:04:56
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is here once again, a day to honor the iconic civil rights activist and reflect on how far we've come. But most of us will do our reflecting from the classroom or workplace. Though it's been a recognized as a federal holiday since 1983 and observed by every state since 2000, currently only about a third of employees get the day off for MLK Day. Not that they're asking for it, though. We polled SodaHeads on the holiday to find out if they thought it should be honored with a day off, and asked if there were any other holidays they'd like to see recognized.

mlk infographic

• Craig 2012/01/20 16:56:15 (edited)
    Craig
    +7
    Some nerve to talk about equality when affirmative action completely reversed the situation if you cannot make the grade on your own merits you should not expect favortism because of the color of your skin. How could our politicians who have always been nothing more than lackeys for our wealthy have allowed that bill to pass, because it forces employers to have to employ a certain percentage of minorities and not just public and private corporations but the government as well. Since Affirmative Action was enacted I wonder how many Caucasions have been turned away from the better colleges, or jobs working for the government. I know for a fact that the 2 things that make it very difficult getting a job working for the federal government are Affirmative Action and unions. The vast majority of those who benefit from federal holidays are bureaucrats, I have heard that many school districts even though they do not give faculty and students the day off give the teachers a bonus for being there. Why should the majority of the taxpayers have to pay for public servants to just sit on their rearends?

• TXredhead 2013/01/18 01:15:47
    TXredhead
    How much does it cost the government to pay all the federal and state employees for that holiday.... maybe we should tighten the belt a little.
  • Resp 2012/02/15 01:52:45
    Resp
    If I want to work I'm going to work. We don't need no stinkin' badges.
  • ♥ilia rose♥ 2012/02/03 06:34:57
    ♥ilia rose♥
    Hmm, I don't know about making it a "national holiday", because if that were to happen, it would take away the significance of the morality. I do think it should serve more as a local holiday, especially for the people in communities, where MLK holds an influential role...
  • BubbaHoTep 2012/01/31 21:46:52
    BubbaHoTep
    +1
    Day of Recognition, Yes. Holiday, No.

The only people that get off are some state and federal workers, and the schools...leaving working parents to find and pay some place for their kids to go while they go to work.
  • Roblem BN-0 2012/01/30 06:40:56
    Roblem BN-0
    Well, well... some interesting reading here.

I definitely think it should be an observed day.

And, I don't really give a rats a__ what anyone has to say about my opinion.
  • Sofahead Roblem ... 2012/02/13 18:36:00
    Sofahead
    Nah, Let's just wrap into President's Day with George Washington and Abraham Lincoln and give it a new name.
  • Roblem ... Sofahead 2012/02/13 19:04:28
    Roblem BN-0
    How about a Presidents day and a Civil Rights day?
  • Sofahead Roblem ... 2012/02/13 20:58:35
    Sofahead
    Has potential.
    Maybe American Leaders Day?
  • TXredhead Roblem ... 2013/01/18 01:16:54
    TXredhead
    is it a paid day off for you?
  • Roblem ... TXredhead 2013/01/18 01:35:59
    Roblem BN-0
    +1
    No, when I don't work I don't get paid. I am self employed.
  • TXredhead Roblem ... 2013/01/18 04:27:15
    TXredhead
    +1
    me, too.
  • Roblem ... TXredhead 2013/01/18 04:59:14
    Roblem BN-0
    +1
    Sometimes a very tough road but worth it, yes?
  • Ejayt7 2012/01/29 23:05:22
    Ejayt7
    +1
    Most Blacks hired Blacks. What is up with that? Afirmative Action should work both or all ways, or neitherat all. Merit should rule!
  • Roger 2012/01/29 16:32:30
    Roger
    my people are stupid dumbasses
  • peggy 2012/01/28 07:08:00
    peggy
    +1
    MLK was nothing special to me. Sorry I dont mean to inflame people but thats how I feel. I say work on MLK day and take president s day off. JFK wasnt either except for being President.
  • Josh peggy 2012/01/30 22:09:58
    Josh
    He inspired people and helped get everyone closer to equality. He was obviously special enough to be assassinated. He is an extremely important historical figure. That being said, the holiday is a waste for most of us.
  • peggy Josh 2012/01/30 22:41:35
    peggy
    It certainly is for me I am not nor have I ever been inspired by him. Happy for the rest of you.
  • Josh peggy 2012/01/30 22:47:38
    Josh
    Yeah old white people should be more upset with him then anything.
  • peggy Josh 2012/01/31 06:46:43
    peggy
    Good but he caused many a race riot. I was stabbed in the back of the leg by 3 of his great followers. Just a little bitter. I did nothing. I was a white femae alone and got jumped.
  • Josh peggy 2012/02/01 01:55:57
    Josh
    He did not start those, ignorant fanatics did. People have started unjust wars in the name of Jesus, but Jesus is not to blame.
  • BUD LITE 2012/01/27 23:34:55
    BUD LITE
    +1
    That picture of him looks like he's thinking "which hooker will I have tonight". Haven't we had enough of this post ?? Put up something interesting.
  • peggy BUD LITE 2012/02/07 20:38:10
    peggy
    +1
    No he was planning his next accusation he could make on so called white slave owners. Blacks forget there great country of africa felt they were so worthless they sold them to other black slave owners the chinese and ango Americans. Quit blaming white people. Even Native Americans bought them they werent worth a plug nickle. So its over done with gone.
  • BUD LITE peggy 2012/02/07 21:21:22
    BUD LITE
    That is so, so true !! The really bad thing is that most Black people don't even know the true story.....or maybe they don't want to acknowledge that they do. It might mess up their favorite card game....."Race". Also, there is NOT any White people alive today that participated in any of that unless someone is over 150 years old.
  • Russell Brown 2012/01/27 03:30:19
    Russell Brown
    Pee wee hermen
  • Richard 2012/01/26 23:18:22
    Richard
    +2
    Can't believe blacks pushes aside George Washingtons and Abraham Lincolns birthday to make February their month. 99% of them don't even know Michael King (alias MLK jr.) real name. These blacks just walk all over what set them free.
  • jackie Richard 2012/01/27 07:59:53
    jackie
    +1
    I did what now?
  • Mrs. Pr... Richard 2012/01/28 03:52:49
    Mrs. Prince Royce
    races...wow..
  • Richard 2012/01/26 20:08:38
    Richard
    +3
    Bunch of BS. MLK is a fake name , his real name is Michael King. He stole the name from a white historic priest in history,
  • lm1b2 2012/01/26 16:24:54
    lm1b2
    +3
    WE need a true hero to celebrate,like a George Washinton Day,I guess being the Father of your Country isn't enough,right folks! That would not get the creeps in Washington any votes,Obama will probably try for a Latino Day for votes!
  • DKJ 2012/01/25 20:42:15
    DKJ
    +3
    Why do we not just have a Civil Rights Day? Also, we need to have it in February not January because February is when we 'celebrate' Black History Month. Secondly, if we celebrate MLK Jr. Day then we need to make sure we get President's Day off. Also, Benjamin Franklin and Robert E. Lee (a true American hero) have their birthdays that week, yet they are forgotten. Why? Because of the color of their skin.
  • WeasleyHats 2012/01/21 18:40:48
  • Craig 2012/01/20 16:56:15 (edited)
    Craig
    +7
  • AnnForT... Craig 2012/01/21 20:30:34
    AnnForTruth
    +1
    I wonder how many good colleges and jobs minorities would be turned away from if Affirmative Actions wasn't enacted. Go to several companies and some colleges and see how many Caucasians are employed in the companies and attend these colleges compared to the number of minorities. And your complaining?
  • Craig AnnForT... 2012/01/25 20:41:27
    Craig
    +4
    Either they get by on their own merits or they have no business being admitted or hired.
  • AnnForT... Craig 2012/01/25 21:39:40
    AnnForTruth
    +2
    Back in the day one couldn't go on merits, you know that. So stop trying to make it appear as something it is or was not.
  • Craig AnnForT... 2012/01/25 20:42:20
    Craig
    +3
    Hire who you want, but do not expect other people to hire people merely because of the color of their skin.
  • AnnForT... Craig 2012/01/25 21:38:46
    AnnForTruth
    +2
    But wasn't it the reason many Black people didn't get the jobs in the first place, because of the color of their skin; it wasn't because they didn't qualify. Be honest with yourself.
  • Roblem ... AnnForT... 2012/01/30 06:34:34
    Roblem BN-0
    +1
    Unfortunately it seems you have asked to much from some people... It just shows again and again that racism is alive and well. And people can't or won't admit it. Or, they have no idea what they are.
  • AnnForT... Roblem ... 2012/01/30 10:26:58 (edited)
    AnnForTruth
    +1
    I agree that everyone should receive equality opportunity and no one should be handed anything based on their skin color. But some people feel Affirmative Action was enacted to afford minorities, particularly Black people, positions they don't qualify for or don't deserve.

But the truth is there are many qualified Blacks, some more qualified than others holding the same positions, who wouldn't receive these positions had it not been for Affirmative Action. Is it fair for a company to hire an i.e. all White staff when over 50% of the company's clientele is i.e. Black?

And then some folks want to cry reverse discrimination without taking into consideration the entire picture; they'd rather focus on one aspect of it. And they will never see how each part impacts on all parts, for focusing on what they call this "one flaw" termed Affirmative Action.

It pisses me off to hear some folks claim Black folks are lazy and every other name that insinuates they're unworthy or do not deserve... and when they get jobs others feel they should have received, they want to cry foul play.

Laws and amendments to laws DO NOT come up or are not enforced by chance; they are written, sometimes amended, and enforced based on need or wrongs that require correcting. Otherwise people will do whatever they w...

Laws and amendments to laws DO NOT come up or are not enforced by chance; they are written, sometimes amended, and enforced based on need or wrongs that require correcting. Otherwise people will do whatever they want to do and get away with it. We are a country of laws and individuals who do not like laws should move to a country where they do not exist.

It's not that I asked to much from people. Sometimes people can't provide a response, because they don't have a reasonable one, so they take the easy way out by ignoring. I didn't expect a response to the question posed; it's too big of challenge.

2014/09/03 07:19:52