PUBLIC OPINION > Bacon Is Better Than Nutella

Fun 2012/09/18 21:00:00
Ever since Italian confectionery manufacturer Ferrero introduced Nutella, a hazelnut-based chocolatey spread, in the 1960s, one question has burned in the minds of all who tried it: "This is great... but is it better than bacon?" Today, we have the answer. We asked the public, once and for all, which delicious treat reigns supreme.

Is it any surprise that bacon took the cake? Not really. Bacon is timeless, like water slides and sensual massages. It's been around forever, and will continue to permeate society until the last pig has been fried to thin, crispy perfection. (Or thick and juicy, if you're into that.) "Nutella is great. Bacon is greater." Pretty sure that was Isaac Newton, but don't quote us on it.

Men Love Their Bacon

You'll be hard pressed to find someone of either gender who can look at a thin, crispy slice of pig fat without salivating uncontrollably. We suspect even some vegetarians lament the loss of such a treat. But when given an option between bacon and Nutella (i.e. chocolate), men are much more likely to pick bacon. Only 55% of female voters picked it.

Teens Take to Nutella

Teen voters actually preferred Nutella to bacon. In fact, they were one of the only demographics to do so. Only 46% of teens would pick bacon over Nutella, compared to nearly 80% of people over the age of 35. Could it be that Nutella will someday replace bacon? Will our novelty shops sell Nutella-scented soap? Will we add Nutella bits to our salads? Only time will tell.

Healthy, Shmealthy

Smokers and drinkers were both more likely to pick bacon over Nutella, suggesting that perhaps bacon is not as popular among health nuts (pun not intended). Smokers were 10% more likely to prefer bacon, while drinkers were 7% more likely. That's not to say Nutella is incredibly healthy. Ferrero was actually sued by California for suggesting Nutella is nutritious.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about the immensely important rivalry between bacon and Nutella. We'd love to hear from you!

• devil bitch 2012/09/19 18:23:30
    devil bitch
    NUTELLA is nasty. mom bought it i tried it and threw it at her..... Bacon all the way
  • Doll's 2012/09/19 18:19:53
    Doll's
    Bacon
  • Cunning Stunts 2012/09/19 17:47:02
    Cunning Stunts
    BOTH?

I'm just panting seeds.
  • issy 2012/09/19 16:54:18
    issy
    maybe its just that most Normal American's are (People,Eating,Tasty,Animal's) PETA- an like meat of delicious goodness over a stupid nut!
  • Farbiger 2012/09/19 16:50:50
    Farbiger
    Can't I just have sex covered in both? ... Sorry that was my inner freak mixed with my love for bacon and Nutella talking.
  • tokie164 2012/09/19 15:53:42
    tokie164
    i have never had nutella :/ andddddddd i love bacon so
    bacon is better
  • Awesomefurby12 2012/09/19 15:47:09
    Awesomefurby12
    Both is great but I choose bacon in the end.
  • tj ~(^-^)~ 2012/09/19 14:59:06
    tj  ~(^-^)~
    +2
    Why is there a question about this? Nutella is pure chocolatey magic in a jar
    awesome nutella pictures

Can you do this with bacon?
    nutella covered strawberries
    .............. Well, you could, but I highly doubt it would taste nice :P

emma watson nutella one food

This one may not look appetizing, but my god, it's some damn good sugary awesome
    nutella pizza topped marshmallow
  • Mindy tj ~(^... 2012/11/12 17:45:26
    Mindy
    Gotta say blech to all the above. {g}
  • tj ~(^... Mindy 2012/12/02 10:39:54
    tj  ~(^-^)~
    For serious?? Wow, nothing?
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2012/09/19 13:35:33
    Artist~PWCM~
    +1
    Sorry but I tried Nutella because I love hazelnuts but that stuff was terrible.
  • miiyou 2012/09/19 13:23:43
    miiyou
    If course it is.
    No question. :D
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/19 12:25:10
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    Bacon
  • Phil 2012/09/19 12:10:46
    Phil
    This goes without saying.
  • Billy Cockrell 2012/09/19 12:09:00
    Billy Cockrell
    Even though Nutella is the healthy choice I still would prefer NZ bacon over it.
  • llamalife44 2012/09/19 11:09:37
    llamalife44
    bacon. i love it
  • DizziNY 2012/09/19 11:03:13 (edited)
    DizziNY
    +2
    I think these guys have a different opinion on this:

Hanged for your "bacon"
    pig abuse

These piglets were beat in the head for your "bacon"

pig abuse

This is where this pig lives until it is beat/hanged/ or thrown into boiling water while still alive for your "bacon"
    pig abuse

Look into this pig's eyes. This poor sentient being looks so sad and unhappy. I bet you'd feel like that too if YOU were locked up in a cage where you can't move. Farm animals live through pure hell for your "bacon".

pig boiled alive
  • Torchma... DizziNY 2012/09/19 12:24:41
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    That is PETA propaganda.

Go vegan? I know a guy that has health problems from 'going vegan'.
  • DizziNY Torchma... 2012/09/20 10:10:36 (edited)
    DizziNY
    Bull, it is not PETA garbage, I go by what God says.

Genesis 1:29-30
    King James Version (KJV)
    29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

I can't stand PETA. They do not care about the animals.They kill more companion animals, (cats and dogs), than they save. I know exactly what goes on in a farm setting. Wake up kids, you are all feeding into the torture of innocent animals.
  • De-Dee DizziNY 2012/09/19 16:00:24
    De-Dee
    +1
    Wrong category...Maybe take the PETA propaganda to the living section. Not fun and humor lol
  • DizziNY De-Dee 2012/09/20 10:57:41 (edited)
    DizziNY
    This is America and I will post where ever I see the truth needs to be told.

This is not PETA garbage, I don't like them. They are hypocrites to be honest. They yell about animal testing, which I hate as well as fur and hunting, then they go and pick up cats/dogs and euthanize them. I don't even like diamonds because of how they treat the miners. So, your line about PETA doesn't phase me. It also might do you well to stop ASSUMING that every vegetarian/vegan supports PETA. A true animal person doesn't like PETA.

I have friends who do work with animals for movies and all and PETA hates people like them but I don't see a problem with what they do. The animals they use in TV and movies, etc, are so well taken care of it's awesome. I've actually worked with them on some projects and I know they treat their animals well. As long as the animal is not abused, I don't see an issue with them in entertainment. If a camel sneezes, they contact the veterinarian and have them examined so they won't get sick. They also do a lot of rescue work. They had this one shetland pony that had a broken leg and the owner at the time was going to kill it. My friends said no, we will take her. They fixed her leg and she lived her life out happy and well taken care of. They even go to horse auctions and...

I have friends who do work with animals for movies and all and PETA hates people like them but I don't see a problem with what they do. The animals they use in TV and movies, etc, are so well taken care of it's awesome. I've actually worked with them on some projects and I know they treat their animals well. As long as the animal is not abused, I don't see an issue with them in entertainment. If a camel sneezes, they contact the veterinarian and have them examined so they won't get sick. They also do a lot of rescue work. They had this one shetland pony that had a broken leg and the owner at the time was going to kill it. My friends said no, we will take her. They fixed her leg and she lived her life out happy and well taken care of. They even go to horse auctions and buy horses that are sentenced to death and save them. So, the next time you go on about PETA, don't assume we all like them.

I answer to a higher authority:
    Genesis 1:29-30
    King James Version (KJV)

• De-Dee DizziNY 2012/09/21 04:59:43
    De-Dee
    Ohh touchy, touchy, 'Twas just a joke..hence the 'lol'. The fact that I saw amusing posts about how much we humans (typically) love bacon. And then I see your not so positive post. Sorry if you were ofended. I'm not gonna debate with you about our differences in food choice, but thought I'd say that I'm Christian and just a few chapters later in Genisus 9 after the flood, it says:
    Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. 2 The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. 3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
    NIV

Now, I understand that you may not agree, but from what I have been taught, how I have been raised and now that I'm grown and reading it for myself, this passage says we can eat meat, clear as day IMHO.
  • Scandalf DizziNY 2012/09/19 16:07:19
    Scandalf
    +3
    Do you really think that the poor, innocent hazelnuts are treated any better!?!
  • DizziNY Scandalf 2012/09/20 10:56:55
    DizziNY
    Dude, they have no central nervous system so stop comparing apples to oranges.
  • Scandalf DizziNY 2012/09/20 11:22:58
    Scandalf
    I was just kidding man!
  • DizziNY Scandalf 2012/09/20 11:26:12 (edited)
    DizziNY
    +1
    I kinda figured that but the other responses kinda put me on the defensive, I'm sorry.

I hate it when people assume that all vegetarians/vegans like PETA. Imho, they suck. They have gone overboard and have forgotten that humans are part of the environment too. It's all about balance.

I just don't understand how people can't feel empathy for these poor animals. Their lives on factory farms is hell on earth for them. It's a damn holocaust imo, and it needs to stop. If we can't treat aimals with compassion, how can we treat people that way. I mean people are a pain in the behind most of the time.
  • Scandalf DizziNY 2012/09/20 11:41:23
    Scandalf
    I often thought about this issue and I do know what factory farming is (I lived near these places when I was little).
    Discussing with some anti-hunting friends, I told them that I think an animal would probably prefer being hunted than raised in those places.
    What do you think?
  • Swordfish DizziNY 2012/09/20 00:06:29
    Swordfish
    +1
    A pig is not "sentient,"[...] Farm animals are here for our consumption. They have no souls, and they can't make their own decisions outside of their own primal, mindless instincts. I know this may sound cruel to you, but food for human survival is more important than an animal's survival.
  • DizziNY Swordfish 2012/09/20 10:54:46 (edited)
    DizziNY
    Genesis 1:29-30
    King James Version (KJV)

“Many times I’ve looked into a pig’s eye and convinced myself that inside that brain is a sentient being, who is looking back at me observing him wondering what he’s thinking about.”

Dick King-Smith, the author of The Sheep-Pig upon which the film Babe was based.*1

Pigs like all animals are sentient, truly aware, they posses many of the abilities and indications of sentience described here Sentience in Farm Animals

Fact. Pigs are more intelligent than either your cat or dog, they are placed as the fourth most intelligent creature on earth. Yet few people know very much about these much maligned and misunderstood animals.

Pigs are clever creatures with an intelligence way beyond that of a three year old human child. Pigs have good memories, they can recognise and remember up to thirty other pigs. Did you know that pigs have a good sense of direction and ar...

Genesis 1:29-30
    King James Version (KJV)

Pigs are clever creatures with an intelligence way beyond that of a three year old human child. Pigs have good memories, they can recognise and remember up to thirty other pigs. Did you know that pigs have a good sense of direction and are able to find their way over long distances? They can remember where food is hidden and by watching each other they learn where food is located. Scientists at the University of Bristol found that showing one pig where food was hidden could benefit others in the group; instead of looking for their own food the other pigs having noticed that their companion had located food would follow his lead. Pigs can respond to their own given name within 7 days of birth.

Most amazingly you may be surprised to know that pigs can learn to play, and indeed excel at using joystick video oriented games. Researchers conducting a study of farm animal cognition hope to quantify the cognitive level of pigs by encouraging them to play video games. They use their snouts to operate the joy stick and have over an 80 percent rate of accuracy. Candice Croney a doctrinal student in animal science involved in the research says:

"The computer screen has a series of different icons, or shapes, on one side and a single shape on the other. First, we try to get the pig to move the single shape across the screen to touch the one that matches it. Once the pig accomplishes that, we move on to more complex tasks. Pigs are known to be smart animals, and we expect them to do more than recognize symbols. Our tests are similar to many used in child cognitive psychology. They'll give us an idea of how advanced pigs are in mental development."

Having pigs play video games may sound frivolous at first, but we have a very serious goal. We have to know what an animal's needs–including any behavioural needs–are in order to meet those needs. We do know that pigs can be trained to turn the lights off and on in their housing facility, but what kind of lighting do they prefer? If we can better understand how pigs see the world, maybe we can learn how they think and feel. These experiments may help us start to get the information we need to make better decisions and judgments about how to care for animals."

In a Pig's Eye Fall 1997 - Penn State Agriculture Magazine

During similar research it was found that pigs can respond to verbal communications.

Indeed they are remarkable creatures, insightful, curious , fastidious, inquisitive, social, companionable, compassionate, intelligent and ingenious.

Capable of considerable ingenuity they can problem solve better than your dog. Research has discovered that Pigs also have what psychologists call a theory of mind, Theory of mind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia they seem to have an understanding of what is going on in the mind of other pigs and make decisions and act accordingly. This type of thinking is usually thought only to exist in man and apes. Pigs it seems are masters of deceit and, according to researchers at Bristol University, pigs deliberately mislead other pigs so as to gain more food.

Referring to studies concerning the intelligence and emotions of farm animals Mark Townsend environment correspondent for the Guardian writes this about pigs:

"Scientists claim such findings are increasingly challenging the belief that farmyard animals have no 'sense of self', a notion that could have profound implications for the way Britain's creatures are farmed. Pigs were similarly found to have a cerebral capacity beyond the popular preconception of a farm animal. Researchers at Bristol University found that pigs are masters of deceit, deliberately misleading other pigs if it would result in more food for themselves."

Sheep might be dumb ... but they're not stupid | UK news | The Observer.

Pigs are highly social animals, they sleep together huddled in nests and while they sleep they love to cuddle up close to one another nose to nose. Pigs also greet other pigs whom they know by rubbing noses much in the way we would shake hands. Pigs are highly co-operative in social groups and show affection by grooming each other. Very much like us, and indeed other animals, they establish social groups and are capable of evaluating the behaviour of other members of the group understanding which of their number are more aggressive and dominant.

In the wild sows form stable family units led by a matriarch with her children and female relatives. Pigs are excellent mothers with a deep affection for their piglets, the bond of a mother and her offspring is as strong as that of any human. In her natural habitat, before she gives birth the mother pig builds a large nest to protect her young, she is very careful about both the quality of the nest and its location, in some instances she may walk for three to six miles to find a suitable place to construct her nest, taking as long as six hours to do so. Here in this carefully selected secluded place she will give birth to her piglets and protect them after they are born for about two weeks, after which time the new family leave the nest and return to the rest of the herd, over the following twelve weeks the piglets are gradually weaned and begin to eat solid food.

Pigs are very vocal creatures and have a wide range of communicative calls consisting of grunts, squeaks, snarls and snorts. These are not random noises with no meaning as many people are apt to think, although incomprehensible to us these noises communicate a variety of emotional states, intentions, warnings and other messages important to pigs and what is central to thier way of life. For instance a lactating sow has a special call which summons her piglets to suckle, piglets keep in contact with each other and their mother by grunts and squeals. Pigs are affectionate creatures if you observe closely you will see pigs greet each other, gently touching snouts sometimes accompanied by soft grunts of friendliness or fondness but sometimes more amorous.

Many consider that individuality is the prerogative of the human animal. In reality this is yet another erroneous misconception and one which many people have about other animals, particularly farm animals. It may surprise you that pigs, like humans, are unique individuals. Pigs like ourselves come in a whole range of emotions and characteristics, some are playful while others are more serious, some my be timid while others are more bold, some pigs are more resilient than others while sadly just like us some are highly sensitive and suffer with depression.

Generally though pigs are highly sensitive and emotional animals and can like us suffer with depression. Many pigs confined in the cramped spaces of factory farms become seriously depressed, because they are intelligent creatures they are aware of their awful plight: the cramped space in pens where they can do nothing and can barely sit down nor turn round with nothing to occupy their intelligent active minds.

As highly sensitive creatures pigs experience both positive as well as negative emotions and like us they are capable of feeling both happiness and sadness.

"As happy as a pig in mud" is a saying often used to express how much fun someone is having. Pigs wallow in mud to keep cool and to protect them from sunburn but they also seem to enjoy the experience.

Like all animals pigs experience pleasure and are playful. It is piglets in particular who love to play, in ways very similar to those of human children, such as frolicking, chasing one another, running in circles, squeaking and grunting in sheer delight, pretend fights and general rough and tumbles and exploring their environment. Play is for piglets as it is for children an important part of their development. Pigs also like "toys" such as an old blanket, cardboard boxes. Pigs will however soon tired of the same toy very quickly.

Contrary to popular misconception pigs are clean animals they prefer bathing in fresh water rather than mud. Yes, pigs do wallow in mud as has already been mentioned above but this is done because pigs do not sweat, so in order to cool they take mud baths. In the wild pigs defecate away from their nests. The fact that pigs are forced to live in filthy conditions in their own excrement is amongst the many reasons pigs suffer with depression, along with confinement and lack of mental stimulation, when they are forced to live in factory farms and other conditions that deny them their natural inclinations. So when you hear any of the derogatory remarks often made, such as you are a filthy pig or this place looks like a pig sty, know that this is a misconception, for pigs are very clean animals. In fact pigs are so clean that they can be kept indoors like your cat or dog and make good companion animals.

Furthermore the reference to pigs as a metaphor for gluttonous behaviour is also way of the mark. In fact given the opportunity pigs are very picky eaters, they dislike monotony, preferring variety they soon set aside food if the same food is offered to them each time. The idea that pigs eat anything without even savouring the flavour as is eluded to in the common expression "giving pigs cherries" is a misconception. Actually unlike a dog, pigs do not gobble up their food, rather they nibble, sniffing carefully to ascertain if they would like to eat the food or not.

In the wild pigs spend a lot of time foraging for food, rooting for food with their highly sensitive snouts they are able to obtain a huge variety of foods including fruits, mushrooms, roots, snakes worms and even rodents. Again very much like ourselves a pigs body is composed of one to two thirds of water and therefore water is an essential part of their diet.

Pigs are compassionate. This is an aspect of farm animals few ever know about, this is because we are now so removed from them.

In the book the The Pig who sang to the moon by Jeffery Masson There is a delightful story told to him by Gene Bauston from Farm Sanctuary, an animal sanctuary in California that tells a tale of friendship, compassion and emotional relationship between two pigs, Hope and Johnny. Hope had a seriously injured leg, for which sadly nothing could be done, and as a consequence her mobility was severely restricted. She had been rescued from a stock yard. Johnny and Hope formed a close bond.

"Able to scoot round on the barn on her three good legs, she could not walk. Johnny, who was much younger than Hope, bonded closely with her . At night he would always sleep right next to her, keeping her warm on cold nights. In the morning Bauston would bring Hope bowls of food and water, Johnny would stay with her to keep the other pigs from interfering with her or taking her food. During the day Johnny would spend most of his time hanging out in the barn with Hope. When Hope died of old age, Johnny was still a young and healthy pig. Maybe he knew about death. The death of his closest friend seemed to devastate him; he died suddenly and unexpectedly within a couple of weeks after Hope, perhaps of broken heart."

It may surprise you to know that pigs are not only compassionate but they are very forgiving, and even badly abused pigs rescued by farm animal sanctuaries appear not to hold a grudge and as you will see in the story below, are gentle caring sensitive creatures despite their mistreatment.

http://www.think-differently-...
  • Teachkat DizziNY 2012/09/20 04:31:45
    Teachkat
    What a crock of crap! Those pigs where not hit over the head for bacon. They look to be born dead. How much bacon do you think would come off of a new born pig away? It would not benefit a farmer to even do that when they could nurse a weeks and be bigger than that. So dont believe all the propaganda PITA puts out there. As for the hanging of the hog in the first picture it is hung like that after being killed so that it can be gutted it isnt hanged to death. As the daughter of a hog farmer I have seen how its done and i have personally held new born pigs for hours warming them so they didnt die after they were born early out in the cold because even though they were fenced it was a huge area including woods and my dad would spend hours looking for the sows sometimes even into the middle of the night. So do you really think he would then turn around and hit the over the head for that 1/16TH of a slice one 1 piece of bacon he could get off of that newborn pig. Get real.
  • DizziNY Teachkat 2012/09/20 10:11:29 (edited)
    DizziNY
    It's far from PETA propaganda, I don't even like them. PETA kills more companion animals than they save.

It's people like you that makes this world so bad. You can't love. I feel bad for you, you must live a real sorry, empty, and sad life.

PS-- It's PETA not PITA. Looks like all that steroid "meat" you eat has warped your brain. You're a hog farmer? Uh huh, and I'm Paul McCartney's long lost love child, lol.
  • Teachkat DizziNY 2012/09/22 05:46:30
    Teachkat
    I never said i was a hog farmer, so you need to learn to comprehend what you read. Maybe you need a little meat to help feed it so you understand better. Also ever heard of typos. And i leve just fine. I love my dogs with all my heart and would never thinknof eating them. As for the rest, i was just pointing out the stupidity in thinking the pictures are true. It is propaganda and yes I probably should have said animal rights (go the the extreme idiot activist). I have no problem with you being a vegan or vegitarian or whatever the hell you are I dont want to push my ideas or ideals on you, what i have a problem with, is you thinking you can push yours on people who choose to eat meat. I for one feels sorry for you. Oh yeah and about that steroid meat, I get my meat from my Father who raises the hog and cows feeds them out with out steriods and butchers them himself. So no i dont eat the steriods if i had to eat that sorry tasting crap they have at the supermarket, I probably wouldnt eat meat either but i sure as hell wouldnt condemn those who do.
  • Teachkat Teachkat 2012/09/22 06:26:16
    Teachkat
    Oh and yes i know there are typo and and other errors in there so you need not bother pointing them out. I'm typing on a tablet and it' s to aggravating to go back and fix them.
  • kevinlim DizziNY 2012/09/20 15:15:57
  • Keith DizziNY 2012/09/20 17:27:52
    Keith
    what's that you say
  • Boo! 2012/09/19 09:56:18
    Boo!
    I am one of those few people that doesnt like nutella
  • andrew.micheals.353 2012/09/19 09:08:19
    andrew.micheals.353
    +3
    Nutella is better for you. You can rub Nutella all over your partners body aand lick it off. Nutella all the way!!!!!
  • patrick... andrew.... 2012/09/19 10:25:49
    patrick.bonacoscia
    never thought of that ! Will buy some now ! lol
  • Cleaver62 andrew.... 2012/09/19 11:25:04
    Cleaver62
    I have used chocolate syrup before and it really make a mess and the chocolate smell really gets to you after a while.
  • andrew.... Cleaver62 2012/09/19 11:47:10
    andrew.micheals.353
    +1
    Chocolate syrup sounds a bit messy but nutella is thick so you can strategically spread the chocolate.

2014/11/27 08:23:32