Pageant Mom Gives 6-Year-Old Caffeinated Energy Drink: OK or Irresponsible?

Good Morning America 2012/02/08 13:19:42
A "Toddlers and Tiaras" pageant mom recently went under fire for giving her 6-year-old daughter, Alana Thompson, a mixture of Mountain Dew and Red Bull (a.k.a. "Go Go Juice") in order for her to stay awake and alert during beauty competitions. Is it okay or irresponsible?

• djandreau 2012/11/12 02:36:16
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    djandreau
    I understand giving your child a soda, or a sip of your soda, honestly, who hasn't done that? But an ENERGY drink, now that going OVER BOARD. Really, we all know that those drinks are bad just for us, so what makes you think its safe to give one to a 6yr old? No, we shouldn't be telling parents how to raise their children, but damn, someones gotta stand up and tell you that something your doing is wrong. Its not being mean, its just voicing a concern, when your a parent, you have a care for the well being of a children, its instinct. Shoot, her putting her daughter in these comp's is just bogus too, all of the parents decision this one is sickening, And whats with this "A dolla makes me holla?" really? I swear on all things, my little girl would never have those words outta her mouth, or even wearing clothes and make up like that!
  • MyPaperBleedsInk 2012/07/16 15:40:25
    I think it’s OK in moderation.
    MyPaperBleedsInk
    There is nothing wrong in deciding what you give your kid for a food or beverage. There should be no age limit for when someone can start drinking something caffeinated.
  • djandreau MyPaper... 2012/11/12 02:42:39
    djandreau
    +1
    No, there is nothing wrong with deciding your gonna give your kid a slice of pizza, or a decent glass of a coke or other soda. But to decide to give your child an energy drink? Thats bogus. Thats more than just caffeine, we are talking loads of B-vitamins, Niacin, Taurine, and lots more; which can cause serious health complications to adults, so what about a child? Come on now, there are just some things we dont give our kids. Plus, if you were intelligent on Energy Drinks like Red Bull, NOS, Monster, Rock Star, you would know that you have to be age 18 to PURCHASE one, so isnt that a sign from the companies?
  • Brenda 2012/07/05 21:59:08
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    Brenda
    What is this Mom going to do if the child drops dead on the pageant floor or ends up being a really bad diabetic from these drinks? This should be considered child endangerment at the top of the list.
  • Kerri Mackenzie 2012/06/04 21:12:51
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    Kerri Mackenzie
    Caffeine is an addictive substance and may carry serious health implications for children. Sleep deprivation may be equally harmful. If this little girl is having difficulty staying awake, she needs more sleep and it's the mother's responsibility to make sure she gets it. Placing the importance of a beauty competition over her health is completely irresponsible.
  • Jayfeather 2012/02/28 22:35:42
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    Jayfeather
    Caffeinated energy drinks are terrible for ADULTS. Imagine how bad they are for kids.
  • rocko 2012/02/23 22:10:46
    I think it’s OK in moderation.
    rocko
    92% of a judgmental society that I would bet more than half has given their kid some sort of caffeine before the age of six. Almost anything is ok in moderation and it is not up to any one person to judge the moderation of another. I know what Caffeine and a lot of forms of candy and sugar do to a child. I raised 2 children but that does not mean I let them live on it. And I am glad no one video taped me slipping my 9 year old son two mountain dews before his tournament baseball game final. Actually back then I probably would have bought him a 5 hour energy drink so he didn't have to pee in the 3 and 7th innings. :-) Damn the two year old grandchild just grabbed my espresso gotta go!!
  • captainquiggle 2012/02/13 19:04:45
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    captainquiggle
    There's way more with that mother than her giving a kid some caffeine drink before a pageant.

"dollas make me holla" is a VERY telling statement from a 6-year-old to me. It's just seriously disgusting to me that this girl isn't alone in this insanity. :(
  • Mehulda 2012/02/13 18:25:42
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    Mehulda
    Caffeine can have a very negative impact on liver function in children.
  • rocko Mehulda 2012/02/23 23:34:57
    rocko
    True, but so can the thousands of over the counter remedies we give our kids everyday. Read the small print on children's Tylenol. God forbid you accidentally gave them two tablespoons instead of one or dosed them at 3 hours instead of four. Just don't video tape it.
  • Mehulda rocko 2012/02/24 22:09:04
    Mehulda
    I agree but I'm going to make a foolish assumption (alway a risk) and say that *most* parents don't dose thier children with these medications regularly or to boost their performance. My brother was premature and had episodes of apnea (failure to breathe) and was given caffeine concentate (by perscription which was especially mixed at the pharmacy based on his MD orders calculated by his weight) so that he did not get into the deep stages of sleep where his brain forgot to tell him to breathe. He had to have weekly blood tests to monitor his liver functions to be sure he did not go into liver failure from the meds. Forunately, he outgrew the problem before he was a year old. at least enough that he did not need the medication.
  • unaff 2012/02/13 18:13:02
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    unaff
    +1
    Kids don't need this stuff. The best prescription against lack of energy is more sleep, especially for kids.
  • rocko unaff 2012/02/23 23:26:15
    rocko
    Who decides what our kids need? You unaff, The Government, The Doctor, The Priest, The Neighbor, The Police(no not the band) or just maybe The Parent(s)? I will agree that the real remedy for a tired child is more sleep. But the real remedy for a judgmental society is to Love thy Neighbor, so sleep on that one.
  • unaff rocko 2012/02/24 15:29:47
    unaff
    Kids aren't allowed to have alcohol or tobacco either. Too bad the government and the doctors have decided that as well? We preach the evils of Marijuana and these other items to our kids, but then accept some of the other poisons we feed them. Nothing in my post stated that I wanted to legislate against this practice. I'm allowed to say it's irresponsible, but that's as far as it goes. Seems like someone is being judgmental as well.
  • cm 2012/02/13 17:52:12
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    cm
    child abuse
  • rocko cm 2012/02/23 23:26:59
    rocko
    Not so much.
  • djandreau rocko 2012/11/12 02:48:41
    djandreau
    +1
    No, fool, it is child abuse, child endangerment, reckless child negligence. That childs health is being compromised every time she drink this energy drink concoction.
  • Resp 2012/02/13 17:47:04
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    Resp
    I cannot imagine any 6-year-old not having enough energy to begin with. The mother should be arrested.
  • rocko Resp 2012/02/23 23:14:02
    rocko
    Have you ever had a six year old? They may choose to sleep at almost anytime. Especially when we need them to be up. Plus I could see the jail overflow now when we start arresting every parent that gives their kid a Mountain Dew!! Mall Police Get ready!!
  • Resp rocko 2012/02/24 17:55:54 (edited)
    Resp
    Not just Mountain Dew but a "spiked" Mountain Dew. The question was about "Energy Drinks" like Red Bull. There is a difference. You sound like you've been drinking.
  • djandreau rocko 2012/11/12 02:51:59
    djandreau
    +2
    Haha, but why does this child honestly need to be up for a pagent, where she dresses in skimpy clothing showing more skin than brittany spears, and wearing more make up than Bozo the clown? Its the only time she gives it to her, but it is still bogus. And if you paid attention, 'specialy if you watched Dr.Drew; it is HALF mountain dew and HALF Red Bull. So quit acting like this woman is innocent by giving this little child a "mountain dew", when it is clearly more than that. I mean damn, when did mountain dew make it look like a child was having a bloody seizure?
  • Bunk11 2012/02/13 17:28:47
    I think it’s OK in moderation.
    Bunk11
    I have a much bigger problem with the woman entering her daughter in this ridiculous competition than with giving her an energy drink. My kids had at least small amounts of caffeinated soda at that age and suffered no ill effects. I'm sure I did too. The current fear of caffeine and sugar for kids is overblown.
  • djandreau Bunk11 2012/11/12 02:55:29
    djandreau
    +3
    THats not the issue though, Bunk11. The issue here is the energy drink she is giving her child. Yes, we all have been given soda when we were kids, we all probably have given our children some amount of a soda pop. But an energy drink is different, loaded with caffeine, b-vitamins, niacin, taurine and a ton more is a serious health danger. I mean come on, you have to be 18+ to purchase one.
  • Bunk11 djandreau 2012/11/13 18:17:20
    Bunk11
    AFAIK, the only health danger from it is the caffeine. The B vitamins are either beneficial or harmless. Did the girl suffer medical harm? It appears not, so the energy drink wasn't that harmful. Will being in these pageants harm the girl? Probably a lot more than the energy drink, so long as she has only one.
  • Amare Tuga 2012/02/13 16:46:53
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    Amare Tuga
    any way it is not good men.
  • kimmc30 2012/02/13 16:20:00
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    kimmc30
    This women has lost her mind. My 12 year old always says Mom can I buy an energy drink...And I say "NO" I know how they make me feel, so why would I wont my child to feel like crap after drinking one of these. There are other ways to energize your child. Obviously this mom has no activity because the only time she has any energy is when she uses her coupons at the grocery store...MAYBE THIS MOM SHOULD DRINK THE GO GO JUICE and give her kid fruits that will help her with the energy she needs to make it through the day....Just because 1 pageant mom gives the kid pixie sticks or an Energy Drink does not mean that every pageant mom needs to do it.....Not just because it is bad for kids to have these drinks but because you are your child's parent.
  • lmnlme10921 2012/02/13 16:15:09
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    lmnlme10921
    Energy drink are filled with so much caffeine that in some places, you can't even buy them until you're 16. I'm not going to sit here and rant saying that energy drinks are bad and can kill you, but I think even the biggest Red Bull junkie could agree that you should be a little older before exposing your body to that type of thing. There are some things that are harder on a child's body than an adult's, and this is one of them. I heard about a ten year old who had an energy drink before a basketball game, and his heart got to beating so fast that it stopped while he was on the court. I guess the question is; is a potential tragedy worth a plastic crown?
  • Bubba 2012/02/13 16:02:25
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    Bubba
    +1
    Wow. Just wow.
    ---
    This is from an interview with the mom:
    "The go-go juice is just Mountain Dew and just a hint of Red Bull," Shannon explained.

The six-year-old is drinking a soda rich in caffeine and sugar and then it's spiked with a little Red Bull.

Alexander had to ask what was making Alana so energetic during our interview.

"Has she had any go-go juice today?" asked Alexander.

Shannon replied, "Not go-go juice. She just drank plain, a half a thing of Mountain Dew. And this is her, every day, all the time."
  • djandreau Bubba 2012/11/12 03:06:29
    djandreau
    +2
    Its half Dew and half Red Bull. Its bogus. On Dr.Drew, she had stated this, and even Dr.Drew gave the "go-go Juice" a shot, and stated that his tongue was swelling up, and he was having difficulty talking.
  • Zody Honeybee 2012/02/13 14:53:14
    I think it’s OK in moderation.
    Zody Honeybee
    +1
    A doctor once told me that caffeen has the opposite effect on children than it does on adults.
  • Bubba Zody Ho... 2012/02/13 16:00:41
    Bubba
    +1
    "A doctor once told me..." doesn't sound very reliable.
  • Zody Ho... Bubba 2012/02/13 21:44:48
    Zody Honeybee
    I knew a child who was being treated for hyperactivity under doctor care with caffeen. It worked
  • Bubba Zody Ho... 2012/02/15 20:05:37
    Bubba
    +1
    #coolstorybro
  • djandreau Zody Ho... 2012/11/12 03:08:21
    djandreau
    +2
    No... caffeine has an opposite effect on people who have ADHD, instead of giving them energy and bouncing around, it makes them slow down a bit, and helps them concentrate. But this is still no reason to give a child a Red Bull or any other energy drink out there.
  • Zody Ho... djandreau 2012/11/12 15:27:59
    Zody Honeybee
    Perhaps the reason is that the child's doctor has prescribed it for ADHD
  • ATM 2012/02/13 13:51:01
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    ATM
    there is definitely a different mindset here...the mother looking to make any desperate attempts of riding the childs coattails going forward. the mirrors must all be broken in that house...
  • Huntclan 2012/02/13 10:34:14
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    Huntclan
    I think Energy Drinks are a bad idea for most people, let alone children. They may serve a purpose, but not to alter the behavior of a child.
  • Kirino 2012/02/13 04:51:53
  • C.C. 2012/02/13 03:01:50
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    C.C.
    +1
    Children are energetic enough at that age. I hate shows like this, it's promoting bad behavior. The outcome is being famous and earning tons of money? What happened to people actually having talent to become famous?
  • StevenM 2012/02/13 02:24:57
    I think it’s irresponsible.
    StevenM
    +2
    do 6 year olds really need MORE energy?!

2014/07/22 19:48:24