LOOK > Is This the Worst Way to Ask a Teacher Not to Fail You?

Kira 2012/05/14 21:54:02
Wow, this is bad. Asking a teacher not to fail you is sad enough, but doing so while spelling the word "fail" wrong in the note is just plain sad. LOL

fail  student  test

• Brynn 2012/05/15 09:32:22
    Brynn
    +6
    The teacher is never the one who fails you. He or she is just the person who operates the scoreboard. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

• Jay Rachel 2012/05/15 16:31:06
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/05/15 11:11:57
    *Facepalm*
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +2
    TAUGHT HIGH SCHOOL FOR 34 YEARS..... SO MANY WAYS TO BEG. I'VE PROBABLY HEARD THEM ALL.. FROM "MY PARENTS ARE GOING TO KILL ME," TO "I'M NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO PLAY FOOTBALL." THAT'S WHY I LOVE THE POINT SYSTEM, STUDENTS ARE ABLE TO COMPUTE THEIR CLASS STANDING AT ANY TIME THROUGHOUT THE SEMESTER (BASED ON PERCENTAGE EARNED OF TOTAL POSSIBLE.) ...AND THERE WAS ALWAYS EXTRA CREDIT EVERY WEEK TO BOOST POINTS.
  • Kat ♪ ~... MOMMA T... 2012/05/15 12:57:01
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    Modern grading system

• ⚥Κόζμω ... Kat ♪ ~... 2012/06/16 04:32:07
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    Pretty Good, that's the trouble when you make the field TOO level.
  • tredzwater MOMMA T... 2012/05/29 11:44:11
    tredzwater
    I wish we had something like that when I was in HS. It would have saved me a lot of worry before report cards.

My father was a big believer in educational incentive. I got a beating for every grade below an 'A'. But, it wouldn't have entered my mind to beg a teacher to raise my grade. Perhaps that's because I went to Catholic schools and, with the nuns, you knew that if you got it, you earned it.

And, vice versa.
  • Rebel geek. 2012/05/15 10:30:31
    Rebel geek.
    how bout if you go up to your teeacher and go on your hands and nees bbegging them to not fail you and then you do a bad dog face and dance like a chicken
  • tredzwater Rebel g... 2012/05/29 11:45:41
    tredzwater
    +1
    With the way you write, perhaps you should practice doing that. You need all the help you can get.
  • tredzwater Rebel g... 2012/05/30 10:48:24
    tredzwater
    +2
    Honey, I wrote better than you when I was 8. Seriously.

If you write this badly as an adult, your life choices will be very, very limited. Do you really want a career flipping burgers at Micky D's? Please, pay attention to your education. This is the only free shot at it you'll ever have. Once you're an adult, learning comes out of your own pocket.

Get it now, while the getting is good.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... tredzwater 2012/06/16 04:45:32
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +2
    They gave me a reading test in Gr. 4, I scored Gr. 10 level, but, judging from my penmanship, I shoud've been a doctor, never improved past Gr. 4. I have (undiagnosed) Autism, so I guess I'm fortunate.
    Now have a chance to become a peer support worker for Autistic Youth.
  • tredzwater ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/16 10:37:47
    tredzwater
    +2
    Kozmo, having a disability and working around it is one thing. Writing badly because you don't care or because you think that netspeak is cool is an equine of an entirely alternate hue.

Kudos on your desire to help others. I think that peer support has great value. Who better to help a person than someone who has been on the same journey?

And, I understand about the penmanship. Nuns contemplated despair over their inability to teach me to write.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... tredzwater 2012/06/16 21:12:18 (edited)
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    Kudos to you noticing that I operate at many levels at once & relish playing with Rhetoric (specializing in Sarcasm & Cynicism).

Went through life undiagnosed so most thought i was retarded &/or a daydreamer, They said the same thing about Einstein too, we're both Late-Bloomers. I'm 51, so I don't (realistically, can still dream) expect to do anything of his calibre. Have modest ambitions. I'm also volunteering 8-12 hours a week at a half dozen local church (all sorts of stuff, in a choir at one & offer Communion [lay acolyte] at another) as another way to do Good Work and perhaps one of the (200?) brethren that know me (& see me in action) may offer me work.

The Value of Advertizing (many levels?). Who Know?
  • Rebel g... tredzwater 2012/09/03 13:14:35
    Rebel geek.
    i only 13
  • Brynn 2012/05/15 09:32:22
    Brynn
    +6
  • tredzwater Brynn 2012/05/29 11:46:39
    tredzwater
    +2
    Well said. EXTREMELY well said!
    applause
  • Aksana 2012/05/15 09:18:40
    Aksana
  • Nai M. 2012/05/15 06:04:32
    *Facepalm*
    Nai M.
  • clyde 2012/05/15 05:14:28
    clyde
    +1
    Our screwell system failed this student early on. Math, spelling, grammar, science (facts about the natural world) and not hypothesis used to be the building blocks for a sound foundation. Now it's about equality and junk science.
  • emoanimegirl1000 2012/05/15 05:08:20
    *Facepalm*
    emoanimegirl1000
  • Mini Twuby 2012/05/15 03:13:03
    *Facepalm*
    Mini Twuby
    I'm not face-palming and what she/he said I'm doing it because she spelled fail wrong LOL it's not "FALE" It's fail O.o
  • Kerri Mackenzie 2012/05/15 03:03:20
    *Facepalm*
    Kerri Mackenzie
    +1
    He/she should at least get points for a giggle...
  • tredzwater Kerri M... 2012/05/30 10:38:32 (edited)
    tredzwater
    +1
    Sometimes, that happens.

When I was studying programming, I turned in a paper without desk checking it. I only used the spell checker because I was running late. I wanted to write, "If the pen is mightier than the sword, the computer is an A-bomb." What printed out was, "If the penis mightier than the sword...". When I got it back, the professor had written, "-5 points for not desk checking. +10 points for the best laugh I've had all quarter."

Sometimes, you just get lucky...
  • Kerri M... tredzwater 2012/05/31 17:21:31
    Kerri Mackenzie
    +1
    Exactly my point ;-)
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... tredzwater 2012/06/16 04:56:39
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    A twisted act of Fate. Don't RELY on a spell-checker. Also found Hard Copy easier to proof than onscreen. Hint: an engineering company removed BRIDE from the WP's dictionary so typos for BRIDGE get flagged. Know of someone else doing the same thing with PUB[L]IC.
  • tredzwater ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/16 10:42:52
    tredzwater
    +1
    I found it easier to proof hard copy, myself. Since I've retired, I spend so much time reading gutenberg.org that I've become comfortable reading on-screen.

That's an interesting anecdote about the company. It makes a lot of sense but I never thought about anyone doing that. How lovely to have a new idea first thing in the morning!

My thanks, Kozmo.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... tredzwater 2012/06/16 21:55:08
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    There's an (apocryphal? 90s) story about Microsoft asking its customers about what features they like to have in Office. 90% of what they asked for was already in the Suite. 'Goes both ways; the clients failed to RTFM &/or MS slacked off on User-Friendliness.
  • tredzwater ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/16 22:26:09
    tredzwater
    +1
    I'm not too sure that MS was ever really concerned about user-friendliness...at least, once they stopped competing with the Mac.

But, I don't begrudge Bill Gates one, single dime. He earned his fortune and he's a shining light to every garage nerd everywhere. It's wonderful to see a man who got rich using his brain instead of merely catching a ball and killing dogs.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... tredzwater 2012/06/16 23:09:41
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    As said, the story may be apocryphal (precedent, the Edsel). But even William of Redmond did get a tad full of himself. Microsoft almost met the same fate as Standard Oil & AT&T with bundling Explorer with Windows.

Apple made some serious business blunders (not allowing Mac clones à la IBM) & almost went under until Steve Jobs (RIP) returned & resurrected it with the 'I' goods, he's a peer with Gates.

Another catch-phrase from the same era is Backwards Compatibility, up until roughly XP, you could use many Apps & devices going back to Win 3x.
    Now if you have a scanner or web-cam from XP & want to use it in W7 no one makes updated drivers anymore. It's even difficult to get such working with Vista (find it better with media than XP, also the X-box) or else it's being intentionally shunned.

I'm dreading the arrival of W8 because I have a suspicion that one might need to buy all-new apps & devices to work with it. Even finding decent XP-era PCs is getting tough, heard that folks are crating decade-old equipment and shipping them to China.

Maybe I should focus on Ubuntu, I like their philosophy but trying to work their stuff is almost like trying learn Chinese.
  • tredzwater ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/16 23:44:23
    tredzwater
    +1
    Kozmo, I truly do agree with you. My problem is that as long as an appliance/whatever works and does what I need, I see no reason to buy a new one. I have a glass, 1940s double-boiler that I got from my mom. Not a nick and I see no reason to spend $70 on a new one that won't be nearly as good.

I'm running Vista Home Premium and I dread the day when it will no longer work with modern applications. I hate IE9 but I'm stuck with it because some of my favorite sites said they'd no longer support IE7. I have a perfectly good 30-year old console TV that I use only for videos/DVDs. If I wanted to watch the latest television programs (I don't), I'd have to buy an entirely new system.

I know that progress renders some things obsolete but, at least, the buggy buyers had decades to keep using horses before being forced to buy a car. Now, it happens every two years.

Sheesh!
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... tredzwater 2012/06/17 07:28:46 (edited)
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    To paraphrase George Bernard Shaw: "Planned Obsolescence is nothing more than an induced epidemic", he was talking about Fashion.

Have a couple of Japanese street bikes, they have kickstarts & are a cinch to work on. Can you guess the year?

I know folks who, if their cell craps out, they're cut off from the world. I keep a paper address book (also on Google), needs no batteries, just keep dry.
  • tredzwater ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/17 11:11:31
    tredzwater
    +1
    Sorry...my knowledge of vehicles is non-existent. All I know is put the key in and turn it. If nothing happens, call an expert.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... tredzwater 2012/06/17 15:55:34
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    Both from the late 70s. I'm pretty good with my hands & my father was an engineer and we finished a couple basements in my youth. Can do framing, plumbing, electrical & painting. Spent a few years as a live-in manager for a wood-frame lo-rise while the owner was abroad. Also pretty adept at fixing small appliances

Spent some time in gas stations with service bays (extinct now) a couple years in a motorcycle shop. My bikes are from the late 70s & are quite easy to work on. For today's stuff you need a technical degree.

Started working on PCs late-90's playing Dr. Frankenstein with them. Just recently cracked open a couple of laptops to clean one & change another fan (crappy design, gotta pull the heat-sink off the CPU chip). Give me a good manual & I can fix it.

Trouble is, I have no papers & not good working in a rush (autism) so I can't land any decent jobs. But I volunteer 10-12 hours a week at 6 local churches. May get free-lance work.
  • harasnicole 2012/05/15 01:11:45 (edited)
    *Facepalm*
    harasnicole
    +2
    Don't even get me started on the absent apostrophe.
  • Marcus Clark 2012/05/15 00:32:13
    Marcus Clark
    +1
    That note is enough for failure.
  • Emma 2012/05/15 00:14:21
    Emma
    +1
    you could always draw a person on the back of your french test and write dont fail me sil vous plait. a kid in my class did
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Emma 2012/06/16 05:01:02 (edited)
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    Bon Françias, s'il vous plait! Guess you're not Canadian.

TeeHee a few spot up would concur.
  • ♥Lyss♥ 2012/05/14 23:52:18
    *Facepalm*
    ♥Lyss♥
  • mae 2012/05/14 23:45:11 (edited)
    *Facepalm*
    mae
    +2
    Answer: sory-i had to fale u. Donut aks y. : )
  • animelover123 2012/05/14 23:35:38
    animelover123
    +1
    Hahahahaha
  • Heptarch 2012/05/14 23:09:30
    *Facepalm*
    Heptarch
    +2
    LOL Good lord.

I'd be tempted to go back to the student and say:

"I didn't fale you (whatever that means). But you did fail yourself."
  • Shanra 2012/05/14 22:54:31
    *Facepalm*
    Shanra
    +1
    Ow... my face...

No, I'm pretty sure those tears you see are from the pain of my face. It has nothing to do with the pain in my brain from seeing that.

2014/10/26 01:54:16