Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo: Amazing or is she a complete Fake?

Nyretiree 2012/08/23 20:51:24
I Am Amazed!
She's an Opportunist and a Fake
I Really Don't Know
She has been on the Tonight Show, Dr. Oz, The Talk etc. Is she just another smooth talking entertainer or the real deal? She does what is called "COLD READINGS"

nbspis smooth talking entertainer real deal nbspshe cold readings nbsp

The Art of "Cold Reading"

The currently-popular "psychics" like Sylvia Browne, James Van Praagh, and John Edward, who are getting so much TV space on Montel Williams, Larry King, and other shows, employ a technique known as "cold reading." They tell the subjects nothing, but make guesses, put out suggestions, and ask questions. This is a very deceptive art, and the unwary observer may come away believing that unknown data was developed by some wondrous means. Not so.

Examples: "I get an older man here" is a question, a suggestion, and a guess by the "reader," who expects some reaction from the subject, and usually gets it. That reaction may just be a nod, the actual name of a person, or an identification (brother, husband, grandfather), but it is supplied BY THE SUBJECT, not by the reader. "They're saying, 'Bob,' or 'Robert.' Do you recognize this person?" is another question, suggestion, and guess. If there's a Bob or Robert, the subject will amplify the identification. But if there's no Bob or Robert immediately recognized, the reader passes right on, after commenting that Bob is there alright, but not recognized right now. If any Bob is remembered later, that is incorporated into the spiel. You should observe and listen to a video of a reading. In one such by Van Praagh, prepared by the "48 Hours" TV program, a reading that lasted 60 minutes, we found only TWO actual statements made, and 260 questions asked. Both actual statements--guesses--were wrong. Van Praagh was looking for the name of the woman's deceased husband, and he came up with it by asking, "Do you know anyone named, Jack?" The woman answered, "Yes! Jack, my husband!" But Van Praagh didn't identify "Jack" at all. He asked her if SHE would identify him. By that time, Van Praagh had already tried on her 26 other men's names--all wrong. But, the woman--the subject--forgot about those failures, because they were not important to her. "Jack" was important.

The readers have a way of leading the subject to believe that they knew something they didn't. Example:

Reader: "Did your husband linger on in the hospital, or did he pass quickly?"

Subject: "Oh, he died almost immediately!"

Reader: "Yes, because he's saying to me, `I didn't suffer. I was spared any pain.'"

It's strange that the reader (Van Praagh, in this example) had to ask that question.....

And remember, these readers often go out and interview the audience members when they're on line waiting to get into the studio or auditorium. That technique was employed by the very successful reader Doris Stokes. She would feed back any data she got as if she were refreshing her memory of what had been told her. "Are you the lady who has a passed-on sister, dearie?" would of course receive assent from the victim, and ahhhs from the audience. Also, a person who approaches the reader before the TV show or auditorium meeting and says she has a question about her deceased grandmother, can then later be selected out of the audience when they're on-camera or during the live encounter, and can then be asked, "Is your question about your grandmother?" and that appears--to everyone else--like a bang-on "hit." Or, and this is very subtle indeed, people in the studio or auditorium audience--usually seated up front for best visibility--are sometimes those who have already been to the "psychic" for a private reading, and have then been asked to show up later to occupy reserved seats at the public in-person gathering "to develop more information" using the "collective power of the assembled audience." The reader then repeats previously-gleaned data, and that appears miraculous both to the audience in the studio and at home, watching, or elsewhere in the auditorium audience.

We tested Sylvia Browne in 1989, on live TV, and she failed miserably. On that occasion, she was not allowed to speak to anyone in advance, or to be asked or told anything in advance. The audience was told to only answer "yes" or "no," when asked a DIRECT question, and Sylvia bombed out big-time. She blamed it all on bad vibrations.... Van Praagh and Edward have not responded to our offer to test them--for the million-dollar prize, even.

So, you see, it's your perception of what's actually being done, rather that the reality of the procedure, and your ignorance of other subtle clues and methods, that misleads you in your observations of these "psychics."

I'll give you one example of something I did when I was performing as a mentalist in Toronto, my home town, at the age of 18. (I hasten to add here that I would ALWAYS thoroughly disclaim any genuine powers, before and after my show.) They had a huge auditorium filled with reserved seats, just about every one of them occupied by eager subjects. It was some sort of a charity affair, and seats were expensive. After I got rolling with the various moving objects and blindfolded duplication-of-handwriting stunts (spoonbending was not yet a popular miracle!) I stopped abruptly and pointed to a lady in the third-row aisle seat. "I'm led to say to you that I get a middle name of 'Rose' for you, madame!" I cried. Her gasp verified that I was right." And that name is more than significant to you." She leaned forward. "I see a clock, a very old clock, and on the dial three pink roses?" She started to speak, and I silenced her by raising my hand. "But this is a strange clock. It can't tell the time!" By now, the poor woman was about to pass out in excitement. "Why is it useless? I see two arrows, or darts…They're metal, and they're broken…Ah! I see! These are the hands of that clock, and they've come off the clock face, and are lying together behind the glass cover of the clock dial! Is that right?" The woman was standing, mouth open, nodding vigorously. She was awe-struck, and the applause was vigorous indeed. How was it done? A lucky guess? No. Planning.

T.K. Lawson, my buddy, had been working with that charity. He was the one who got me the gig (a contracted appearance). And he also went through several neighborhoods selling tickets to likely donors. He had sold tickets CC-20 and CC-22 to this lady, and she'd invited him into her living-room while she made out a check to pay for the tickets. He observed that the "rose" theme was everywhere, and an embroidered "sampler" was framed by the door, with the woman's full name on it. That clock was by the fireplace. T.K. noted these facts, and reported them to me. I must tell you that together we intercepted that dear lady as she left after the show, and explained to her how I'd been "psychic." She was highly entertained with the explanation, and grateful for our caring to tell her.

I somehow don't think that Browne, Edward, and Van Praagh would trouble to do such a thing. But, after all, they say they're REALLY "speaking with the dead."

I'm amazed at how much death affects people who undergo the process. It makes them really stupid and forgetful. Whenever I've asked any psychics--or spiritualists--to contact my paternal grandmother, it seems she doesn't remember such basics as the name of her husband, or the name of her church--both important elements in her life while she was "here." Now that she's "there," her rather prodigious intellect has left her quite completely.

Read More: http://www.wikihow.com/Cold-Read

• Abs 2013/01/04 18:11:51
    I Really Don't Know
    Abs
    +10
    No exsistance of an afterlife is a cop out answer. Right up there with the Earth is the Centre of the Universe and you'll fall off the edge of the Earth. There was no evidence of a heilocentric solarsystem in a spining galaxy amongst countless others until we were smart enough to see it. The fact that I am of Celt/Saxon/Pictish decent but typing from North America also kinda ruins the argument. The fact is Science can neither prove nor disprove the afterlife cause we are too stupid to interpret the evidrnce that is no doubt right in front of us. Maybe Thresea and people like her that aren't phoney douchebags evolved a different part of their brain but not enough of it to understand and explain the evidence to us lesser evolved hairless apes. Either way Copurnicus is laughing at you "no evidence" thumpers.

• pandamandude 2013/05/14 17:59:03
    She's an Opportunist and a Fake
    pandamandude
    Well it sounds like someone closer to her is finally blowing the whistle. this site claims to have the testimony with evidence and video and interviews showing Theresa Caputo is a fake..... http://www.longislandmediumfa...
  • limuwani 2013/04/18 08:50:56
    I Am Amazed!
    limuwani
    i love teresa and i believe she is a real deal , i had a similar situation but i am too scared to embrace it and im glad she is not too scared to embrace her gift,it takes gards to become what she is.all the process that she have to go through emotionally and phisichally is a lot.i do not blame either of you for not believing but she is not forcing anyone to believe its up to you but people are being healed their wounds emotionally and spiritually.
  • frank c... limuwani 2013/05/21 01:52:31
    frank cartwright
    +2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?... please watch she is a fake
  • Abs 2013/01/04 18:11:51
    I Really Don't Know
    Abs
    +10
  • Ronald 2012/11/18 00:19:29
  • Cori 2012/11/14 18:48:57
    She's an Opportunist and a Fake
    Cori
    If you watch any clips of her on news programs/interviews, she asks a lot of general questions. She may think she is getting information from the "spirits" but let me tell you who the spirits really are. They are not dead people who can't move on. That is such a crock. When you die, you go to heaven or you go to hell. You don't get stuck here to "haunt" people. Who is she communicating with then? well, either she is a really good fake who observes people and picks up non-verbal cues, which she parlays into general digging questions, or she is getting information from demons. It's sad that people are tricked by her and others in a time of grief.
  • Maggie 2012/11/11 22:33:52
    I Am Amazed!
    Maggie
    Real or fake (I've watched lots of her shows), she gives comfort to many people who are having a difficult time after a loved one dies. A mother who's son died of a massive heart attack was having a hard time after the death of her son, she was upset that he might have been scared at the time of death, Threasa helped this women move on so she's not living in guilt anymore. Like I said, real or fake, she's helped many people get over the loss of a loved one
  • helen g... Maggie 2012/11/12 23:27:33
    helen gigls
    +1
    my question to all you people out there that dont believe in theresa and think she is fake. sure someone has to bash her to make her look like a fake. how can she be a fake when 99.99% of the time she does not know these people. she confronts them anywhere. theresa doesnt matter what the other people say...i can relate to you and i believe in you 120%. all these people have nothing better to do in there lives but bash people...keep up the good work theresa i hope one day we can meet.
  • Mat helen g... 2012/12/23 06:54:24
    Mat
    +4
    Hi Helen, My question too you is why you only believe 120%? I ask because I 127.5% believe that she is a fraud. It'd be great if you could clarify.
  • John Mat 2013/01/01 18:15:48
    John
    +4
    Just once I would like a skeptic to actually present some concrete evidence, not pathetic clips like this one, but real hard core factual evidence "Scientific" that would lend credibility to the skeptics arguments. As it stands the skeptics present their personal views as fact...." I don't believe, therefore it can't be." You guys are as phony as you claim she is. I am not convinced yet that she is real, but that is only because I need proof, and until I get it, I will remain a healthy skeptic...not just a loud mouth like most skeptics!!
  • frank c... John 2013/05/21 01:43:24
    frank cartwright
    +1
    go to youtube there are vids of her being wrong many times!!!
  • Mat John 2014/07/04 08:08:49
    Mat
    Based on this 'logic', there is no concrete evidence that a Vegas magician is not actually levitating a person above the stage. Therefore it must be true, and not an optical illusion.
  • frank c... helen g... 2013/05/21 01:42:47
    frank cartwright
    how can you live in this world and not believe people scam other people to make money,she does charge and quite a bit.research,people have claimed this ability,they are intelligent performers.
  • John Maggie 2013/01/01 18:11:24
    John
    +6
    You hit the nail on the head! Those who have gained comfort from her are better for having believed. Those who don't want to believe, well don't, and those who can "PROVE" she is fake please do so. Some of the skeptics out there are just as fake as they claim she is!!
  • frank c... John 2013/05/21 01:44:25
    frank cartwright
    +1
    better and poorer.the skeptics aren't making money disproving her.
  • frank c... Maggie 2013/05/21 01:39:28
    frank cartwright
    +3
    fake comfort at the financial expense of the duped party is immoral and disgusting!
  • JJJ1028JJJ 2012/11/11 22:08:15
    I Am Amazed!
    JJJ1028JJJ
    +1
    LOVE HER!!!!
  • frank c... JJJ1028JJJ 2013/05/21 01:44:34
    frank cartwright
    fool
  • aaron 2012/11/01 17:59:17
    aaron
    +1
    There was a holy man in Israel,Rabbi Israel Abu Hatzera(1890-1984), who was reputed to have amazing spiritual gifts,including curing illness through prayer and calling on people to contact him by visiting them in their dreams..He lived a very spartan existence--,would not accept payment or gifts,didn't go on television or radio nor wrote books or charged people for "readings".He didn't even give readings as we know them..What he gave was comfort to the the sick and, advice on how to lead decent ,God-fearing lives and love their fellow men. You could almost see God on his face.Those who really have the power,don't advertise or sell it , nor do they go on the talk show circuit.
    .
  • Jon Daniels 2012/10/31 16:09:04
    She's an Opportunist and a Fake
    Jon Daniels
    +1
    It's absurd that people still believe in this paranormal nonsense. To be a real "medium", there would first have to be an afterlife -- there's no evidence that one exists. Just another entertainer, catering to the gullible (and their wallets).
  • helen g... Jon Dan... 2012/11/12 23:35:10
    helen gigls
    +3
    its absurd that you are a moron that doesnt believe in her..seriously buddy if you dont believe in theresa then dont watch her. all you people out there if you dont believe then dont watch...thats all i can say...
  • frank c... helen g... 2013/05/21 01:45:55
    frank cartwright
    +4
    true disbelievers don't have to watch but there are many decent people who hate to see grieving people victimized.
  • Kristian Tonev 2012/10/30 09:39:33
    She's an Opportunist and a Fake
    Kristian Tonev
    TOTALLY FAKE!!! Go watch ghost wisperer and you will see where she gets her phrases :) I believe in ghosts but I dont believe in HER! The Ghosts talk to her but she doesnt answer to them :D and when she make sex the ghosts dont go to her room, riiiiiiiight...All she do is ask questions and you give her the answers :) "someone dear to you died, right?" hah it can even be your dog or cat ... DONT WATCH THIS FAKE SHOW GO WATCH "GHOST WISPERER" and you can see more interesting things than this...
  • Maggie Kristia... 2012/11/11 22:37:52
    Maggie
    +1
    Wow, such hatred. Next time make sure to use a dictionary when spewing angry posts.
  • frank c... Maggie 2013/05/21 01:46:24
    frank cartwright
    only hatred of thieving phonies.
  • Maggie Kristia... 2012/11/12 00:33:28
    Maggie
    +1
    Sorry Kristian, didn't know you weren't American. In your case I guess I'd let the spelling errors go
  • helen g... Kristia... 2012/11/12 23:38:38
    helen gigls
    +2
    then if she is a fake why is it that all the question she asks she does more of the answering that the person she is reading. her questions she asks are always correct. she barely asks them anything she does most of the talking....so how can you sit there and say she is a fake...your ghost whisper is a fake
  • frank c... helen g... 2013/05/21 01:47:04
    frank cartwright
    if she hears from the dead why ask any questions at all?!
  • smackedy 2012/10/30 01:22:05
    She's an Opportunist and a Fake
    smackedy
    i doubt she is a real medium. she just says genral things and the one being read explains it all for her. i know its an entertaining show but most of the shows about her hair, nails, and family. SHE IS A FAKE!!!
  • cosmo smackedy 2012/11/06 02:04:40
    cosmo
    +1
    I agree. And I am sick of all of her anxietys!!! Really??!! Can't get in a tent, can't go fishing, can't dress up??!! Is there anything she can do without acting like a baby??!!!
  • helen g... smackedy 2012/11/12 23:42:05
    helen gigls
    +1
    all you morons if you dont like her then dont watch her she is 200% real. you idiots are all fake.
  • tom helen g... 2012/12/17 00:23:32 (edited)
    tom
    +11
    Se her in person and if you still believe in her then you are truely the moron. theres 2000 people in the theater and she askes "did someones parent die recently"? All these people do is generalize and when she was wroung she just went on to another person like nothing happened big scam.
  • frank c... helen g... 2013/05/21 01:47:43
    frank cartwright
    200%???? you are a fool!
  • Mat frank c... 2014/07/04 08:19:19
    Mat
    No fool! Clearly an academic! Once Helen believed in this fraud 120%, now she has, though a complex, scientific calculation determined that she is "200% real". I wish I knew the meaning of "200% real"! Sounds impressive! Maybe Theresa is a twin!
  • CharmaEvans 2012/10/24 16:56:31
    I Really Don't Know
    CharmaEvans
    +2
    Love Theresa! She seems like a great lady. I'd love to have a reading done! Maybe my dad or grandpa would come through.
  • Mat CharmaE... 2012/12/23 06:41:15
    Mat
    +8
    Yes, they'd both love that.
  • ebumbie 2012/10/22 01:24:53
    ebumbie
    +1
    She may have the ability to pick up vibs from people around her. Ultimately, she can only tell you what you already know with some embellishments. Then she will tell you good things about those who have passed, which nobody can dispute, but it makes you feel better.
  • Pamela Wells 2012/10/16 20:33:49
    Pamela Wells
    +1
    But I need to know! Is she for real, or NOT?
  • Nyretiree Pamela ... 2012/10/21 00:41:15
    Nyretiree
    Try the following links and make up your own mind. I don't believe in things like this. My wife on the other hand eats it up, anything to do with the paranormal, she's there. Hope this helps:

http://www.examiner.com/artic...

• frank c... Pamela ... 2013/05/21 02:00:05
    frank cartwright
    +3
    here's some logical points to ponder:why do none of the spirits describe god,the devil,heaven,hell why is everyone happy why aren't some spirits suffering in hell she keeps the topics friendly easily relate table and never speaks of thing that could lead to a religious debate.she is an intelligent skilled entertainer! if she truly hears why does she need to ask questions? and why is she often wrong? they don't show that on tv.

2014/08/20 19:45:43