Jennifer Lawrence Admits She Skinned a Live Squirrel: Rad or Bad?

Jennifer Lawrence must have a thing for squirrels ... and no, we're not talking about "The Hunger Games." The actress recently admitted to Rolling Stone that she skinned a live squirrel as part of her Oscar-nominated role in "Winter's Bone." Jennifer Lawrence said, "I should say it wasn't real, for PETA. But screw PETA." Whoa. Them be some fighting words.

PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) has now responded to her remarks, with President Ingrid Newkirk telling Gothamist: "She's young and the plight of animals somehow hasn't yet touched her heart. As Henry David Thoreau said, 'The squirrel you kill in jest, dies in earnest.'

"When people kill animals, it is the animals who are 'screwed', not PETA, and one day I hope she will try to make up for any pain she might cause any animal who did nothing but try to eke out a humble existence in nature." So ... whose side are you on? PETA's? Or do you think J-Law was just getting into character when she skinned a squirrel?

• Freeranger 2012/04/11 20:39:15
    Rad
    Freeranger
    +16
    I think you need to go back and do a re-write, because as written, it would seem that she was skinning it while it was still alive. Poor word usage. Obviously, it had been a live squirrel, but she skinned it after it was dead-----no big deal.
    And HELL YEAH!!! I'd flip off PETA too. I like this girl already.

• Justina Jackson 2012/06/16 04:56:02
    Rad
    Justina Jackson
    Wow! people are overreaching WAYYYY to much! Research things before you get all angry about them. BTW to the person who called her a snot nosed brat again do some research. This woman is a great woman and very humble at that. What the hell are they teaching in schools no days?! To jump to conclusions and believe EVERYTHING thats posted on social sites?! ridiculous! Do your research before you start pickin on someone because of something thats obviously taken out of context. Pick up a book,biography or better yet an encyclopedia! Oh wait they dont make those anymore do they? lol Jennifer Lawrence mystique
  • Neelo 2012/06/09 04:02:34
    Rad
    Neelo
    I don't see the issue, actors and actresses do crazy things all the time to help them get into character better. Gaspard Ulliel of Hannbal Rising did a real live autopsy in preperation for the movie, and he came back happy saying he wanted to do another. Sure, a bit odd, but nothing wrong with it
  • Jennifer McDermott 2012/06/01 16:31:20
    Bad
    Jennifer McDermott
    Skinning a LIVE animal? Can you imagine the pain that poor animal felt? Makes me shutter.
    Rad
    If she ate it --good for her!
  • Flamingolady 2012/05/21 20:03:16
    Rad
    Flamingolady
    My husband caught a hybiscus eating squirrel in a trap, and that thing was going berzerk in the cage and when he turned it loose about 5 miles from home, he said the squirrel was scratching and biting, and wanted to get to him! So there is no way in hell she skinned a live squirrel. This is total BS.
  • edifyguy 2012/05/21 17:53:15
    Rad
    edifyguy
    You know, the more I read about this girl, the more I like her! It takes some serious guts to take on PETA. But then again, she's prettier than almost every PETA person out there, and apparently smarter, so she can just smile as people love, admire, and remember her, and enjoy PETA's furor as people laugh them to scorn and into the dustbin of history.........
  • Mrs. V 2012/05/21 16:02:16
    Rad
    Mrs. V
    +1
    I think what you are meaning to say is that she skinned a REAL SQUIRREL, after it was already dead. No squirrel is going to calmly sit there while you skin it alive. Ain't gonna happen. Many people eat squirrels, they are plentiful. I don't and never have, and might only if I were starving.
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/05/21 15:55:29
    Bad
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    I'm all for hunting and eating animals, even squirrel (they're quite tasty actually).

But there is no reason whatsoever to cause unneeded pain to animals, and skinning them alive is pretty much the worst thing you can do. There is no reason why she couldn't have killed it first.

I do however agree with the "screw PETA" part.
  • SoD Rusty S... 2012/05/21 16:05:23
    SoD
    +2
    There is no way in hell this young lady skinned a squirrel alive.
  • Rusty S... SoD 2012/05/21 16:09:32
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    I don't think she did either.
  • SoD Rusty S... 2012/05/21 16:16:13 (edited)
    SoD
    +1
    I won't touch a wounded rodent until it's dead. Those little sons of bitches are biting machines. Boot-heel to the base of the skull... done.
  • Rusty S... SoD 2012/05/21 16:18:06
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    I tell my children that of all the little woodland creatures they may come across, a squirrel is one of the most dangerous.
  • Brynn 2012/05/21 06:02:38
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/05/11 17:02:22
    Rad
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    Well, I never skinned one ALIVE but I have skinned enough Dead Ones in my life to keep us all fat & happy on Fried Squirrel and/or Squirrel & Dumplings. I was also bitten by a Squirrel, once. Of course, he bit me right before he died; but he was very much alive at the time. The dogs are the ones who really get the credit for the kill. I got a Tetinus Shot, but that was about it. [I hope that this isn't TMI, though.] BTW, it's going to take two people (butchers) to skin a Squirrel, properly. Someone has to hold his back legs, as another guy uses the knife. And yes, you do keep the head-and-all in-tact. You eat the brains, the tongue, and everything. The eyes will fall out, so don't worry about that. Plus, when you gut him, you cut off the tail and the feet. So, now you know. If this is TMI; lighten up; I do miss that Era in my life.
  • bev.grace1 2012/05/03 08:52:15
    Bad
    bev.grace1
    +1
    dead or alive real or not its wrong end of story because some fool will think she did it for real and will do it
  • jackie 2012/05/01 15:44:33
    Bad
    jackie
    +2
    Thats not right? A LIVE squirrel. And she did it for a oscar nominated role? Cult?
  • SoD jackie 2012/05/21 16:06:28
    SoD
    +1
  • Aader 2012/04/24 14:54:51
    Rad
    Aader
    +1
    who cares about PETA. they just want to stop a natural cycle. beside hunting and killing of animals is more ethical than not hunting... think about it you'll understand.
  • Lindsey 2012/04/20 15:21:46
    Rad
    Lindsey
    +2
    Who cares.
  • Snow White's Poison 2012/04/19 21:36:05
    Bad
    Snow White's Poison
    +1
    Dead or alive you should still not use fur. peta fur ready set peta fur
  • stevmackey 2012/04/19 16:26:49
    Bad
    stevmackey
    +1
    Sounds like she was raised in the back lands of the hills
  • jade 2012/04/17 08:37:29
    Bad
    jade
    +2
    if she actually skinned it when it was alive that is beyond cruel,worse that they would do that in a movie .But reading the comments below it seems it was already dead so it not really a problem
  • sweetserinity13 2012/04/17 00:48:59
    Rad
    sweetserinity13
    +1
    People have been skinning animals for centuries so what is the big deal about her skinning a squirrel. I used to laugh when my uncle would bring home deer to skin because I knew I would be eating good that night.
  • Playerazzi 2012/04/16 10:00:45 (edited)
    Bad
    Playerazzi
    +2
    Why anyone would do such a cruel thing to any animal is beyond me.

For the record, it's not the skinning I object to, it's doing it LIVE I object to. Kill the poor thing first, skin it, and eat it. I have no problem with that. But to do it live is an excercise in sadistic cruelty.

I'm disappointed in her.
  • SoD Playerazzi 2012/05/21 16:07:46
    SoD
    +1
    Rest assured, there is no way she skinned the squirrel alive.
  • Playerazzi SoD 2012/05/22 08:56:51
    Playerazzi
    You're probably right, but that's not the way it was presented here.
  • SoD Playerazzi 2012/05/22 11:52:20
    SoD
    I wager any sum of money you like that this little girl would definitely remember skinning a live squirrel. She would have the scars to prove it too.
  • LaurenCounsell 2012/04/15 13:50:28
    Bad
    LaurenCounsell
    +2
    That is absoloutely sick. Talk about not having morals!
  • buneter 2012/04/14 00:25:20
    Bad
    buneter
    +1
    i meant to say rad but anyways i guess i would say bad if it was still alive but if not screw it theres a museum filled with skinned humans who cares about 1 squirell

not winters bone but eating a squirrel
  • GoatHorns 2012/04/13 18:56:44
    Rad
    GoatHorns
    +3
    if you eat meat or wear leather and still think this is bad, you're an idiot
  • politicalsoldier 2012/04/13 04:11:50
    Rad
    politicalsoldier
    +2
    For one she misspoke. The squirrel was already dead when she skinned it. And you sure as hell can't cook it and eat it if you don't skin it and clean it. Circle of life folks, and whether you believe in creation or Darwinism, either way we are omnivores.

Any people on hear that are freaked out by it but eat meat, need to shut up. You think the burger you eat grows on a vine?

The people on here that are freaked out because they a vegans are probably the liberal kooks that go crazy about a dead squirrel or a mistreated chicken, yet have no problem with late term abortion and the slaughter of human babies. Or maybe even have no problem with post abortion infanticide which Obama voted for, four times as an Illinois state senator. Doubt me? look it up.

Now, I'm going to go have some tasty meat and cheese to snack on. Good night.
  • bev.grace1 politic... 2012/05/03 09:04:58
    bev.grace1
    +3
    to eat meat for food when animal is dead ok but it was a live thats not right no she said alive the pain it must have felt even if it was for a film what ever there are fools out here that will say she did it, its ok, as for abortion no I agree abortion is terrible taking any life for the sake of it , is wrong be it animal or human for the record i dont eat chicken, fish, rabbit pig, or only some meats and only if i have to in australia we try to save our animals even in shelters unless they are sick or beyond helping
  • politic... bev.grace1 2012/05/04 03:13:58 (edited)
    politicalsoldier
    +2
    It was dead. Freshly killed but dead.

Tell you what ... you go catch a live squirrel and try to hold on to it and attempt to skin it while it's still alive. LOL! Good luck with that.
  • SoD politic... 2012/05/21 16:10:01
    SoD
    +2
    She should have a medical staff standing by because she will need stitches after the fact, if not a transfusion ;)

People just don't know.
  • Elissa ... politic... 2014/05/29 05:10:20
    Elissa Boutin
    +3
    We as people actually have no carnivorous or omnivorous instincts. If you were, you'd catch an animal with your bare hands, and eat the entire thing raw.
    If you placed a 2 or 3 year old baby(as an example) in a crib with a rabbit and an apple, please tell me when the baby decides to chomp down on the bunny and plays with the apple. That baby might play with the apple, but it sure as hell won't be chomping down on any rabbit. EVERY carnivor/omnivore has instincts as soon as they open their eyes and can walk. People do not.
    It has nothing to do with what your religious/scientific beliefs are. It has nothing to do with it. Treating any living thing with anything but kindness is wrong. And let me tell you, a vegetarian/vegan in general has way more ethical standards than those who contribute to the suffering and torture of sentient beings. That being said, we in general are way more concerned with the ethical treatment for ALL life, including people.
    Did you know that all the food that farmed animals eat could be eaten by starving people instead? Do you know that farm factories are the number one cause of the horrid pollution? Did you also know how much deforestation that happens due to making more and more factory farms? Caring about animals also means caring for people.
    You don...

You don't need to be an animal lover to know that it's wrong to cause pain to any sentient being.
    And not to mention how horrible animal products are for our bodies. It's been researched time and time again, and instead of paying attention to the subliminal messages that all those meat, diary and egg commercials have brainwashed you with believing it's good for you, do some research. Milk is meant for BABY CALFS, and not to mention all the NATURAL estrogen is in dairy (unlike soy products), there are endless amounts of hormones and steroids, plus when cows are hooked up to those machines all day, every day, that causes there utters to get infected, thus causing pus and blood in your dairy products, and it stays there even after pasteurization. Meat itself is the number one cause of heart attacks, diabetes, osteoperosis, just to name a few.
    Why contribute to the endless torture of animals, AND the health of our planet and our people, including yourself?
    If people stopped killing so many predators in nature, there wouldn't be an overpopulation of deer and squirrels, but until the herbivores and the REAL carnivores become more evened out, then for the meat eaters, it's probably best to hunt (which done with respect, and done properly, thus relieving any stress and pain to the animal) because that is done more "naturally". I understand not everyone will stop eating meat, but if you dont contribute to farm factories, kill it yourself quickly and painlessly, then you get natural meat without any added hormones and stress and steroids, and not contributing to the unethical treatment of animals and our planet.
    I personally am not a fan of PETA either, I just stand up for anyone and anything that deserves kindness.
    As long as those squirrels weren't tortured, and eaten after then it's better than having them just get thrown in the trash i guess. But I don't see why it was necessary to use real ones for a movie.
  • 2585661 2012/04/12 21:48:14 (edited)
    Bad
    2585661
    +1
    PETA CONSTANTLY KILLS (EUTHANIZES) ANIMALS ALLL THE GOD DAMN TIME SO WTF ARE THEY COMPLAINING ABOUT?!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?! PETA KILLS 98% OF ANIMALS THAT COME INTO THE SHELTER AND CAN'T BOTHER FINDING THEM A HOME. YOU SHOULD LEARN THE TRUTH ABOUT PETA! CAPS LOCK FURY. Also Jennifer is really pretty except when she smiles.
  • politic... 2585661 2012/04/13 03:57:37
    politicalsoldier
    +1
    I am a proud member of the New PETA ...

People for the Eating of Tasty Animals
  • wolfshadow 2585661 2012/04/13 04:43:38
    wolfshadow
    +1
    I think you have PETA confused with the Humane Society. PETA doesn't run animal shelters.
  • Kigan 2012/04/12 21:28:04
    Rad
    Kigan
    +1
    I don't call it rad because I like it. In fact, I don't care for it. But that is not the point here.

This is: She was NOT skinning a live squirrel. It was already dead. It might have been killed for the purpose of skinning, but the squirrel was dead when skinned.

Now if the animal was killed just so she could skin it on a TV show, that's a totally different can of worms given the special effects abilities we now have.

As for her antagonistic attack on PETA: She really shouldn't do that. Just stirring up one really annoying hornet's nest for no good reason. We are all better off with fewer reasons for PETA to run their idiotic mouths.
  • Happy_Evil_Dude 2012/04/12 20:30:19 (edited)
    Rad
    Happy_Evil_Dude
    +2
    She didn't skin a live squirrel. She skinned a dead real squirrel. PETA does much much worse.

2014/09/03 07:06:43