Is there life on other worlds?

kir 2012/12/28 02:20:46
Related Topics: Earth, World, planets, Light
More and more worlds are being found. Recently released was information regarding a super Earth within the habitable zone in the Tao Ceti star system. That's a mere 14 light years away, practically next door astronomically speaking.

So with all these worlds around, and us getting closer and closer to finding a near double of Earth, it seems reasonable that pretty soon we may be looking at a world with life on it.

• keeper 2012/12/28 03:46:12
    There are other planets with life.
    keeper
    +5
    It would be very conceited to think that there is not some other kind of life on one of the Billions of planets in the Universe...

• ren 2013/01/12 12:39:14
    There are other planets with life.
    ren
    Of course. Billions of planets out there.
  • Dickens 2012/12/31 04:47:17
    There are other planets with life.
    Dickens
    ...there are 200 billion galaxies with 300 billion stars in each galaxy; of course there's other life out there...Have they ever been here?..nope...
  • Michael S. 2012/12/30 04:43:13
    There are other planets with life.
    Michael S.
    There is life on other worlds, but most of it has been consumed by eldritch abominations after drawing their gaze.
  • Walt 2012/12/29 22:55:30
    Walt
    I'm surprised microbes haven't yet been discovered beyond Earth in our solar system.

Amino acids have been discovered in meteorite material.
  • Walt Walt 2012/12/29 22:56:41
    Walt
    This is interesting. I read it a couple of years ago.

"Meteorite Holds Amino Acid Surprise"
    http://news.discovery.com/spa...
  • Swampdog PWCM 2012/12/29 22:48:31
    There are other planets with life.
    Swampdog PWCM
    +1
    According to the Drake equation there is, in our Galaxy alone there should be roughly 250 million planets that could have life similar to ours. If a planet has liquid water then you have a very high probability of some type of life on that planet.
  • raine1200 2012/12/29 22:40:58
    There are other planets with life.
    raine1200
    Never to be seen unless they decide to show themselves
  • Heptarch 2012/12/29 13:45:24 (edited)
    There are other planets with life.
    Heptarch
    +1
    It is inconceivable that in the entire universe ours is the only planet where life exists. Since Earth exists, others must as well.
  • aherbert 2012/12/29 04:52:07
    There are other planets with life.
    aherbert
    I think so ... other planets with life
  • stevmackey 2012/12/29 04:49:05
    There are other planets with life.
    stevmackey
    +1
    It would be stupid to assume there is no life on ant planet but ours.
  • Eddie 2012/12/28 21:52:25
    There are other planets with life.
    Eddie
    +1
    I think it's pretty arrogant to think that only the earth has life out of the billions of planets in just our galaxy alone. Much less the rest of the universe.
  • ronbo51 2012/12/28 20:36:47 (edited)
    There are other planets with life.
    ronbo51
    +1
    more than whats inside this place!!! congress congress
  • DecreeB 2012/12/28 17:20:21
    There are other planets with life.
    DecreeB
    +2
    Think about it, hundreds of galaxies, millions and billions of other planets. Some have even been determined to be 98% similar to Earth. Unfortunately, we'll never be able to prove that there is life on other planets (at least in other galaxies) They're thousands of light years away, so even if we tried going there it'd take billions of years, long enough for Earth's population to die off and tons of galaxies and planets to implode.
  • Heptarch DecreeB 2012/12/29 13:46:52
    Heptarch
    +2
    Never with the technology we have right now. Thankfully, our technology continues to improve. Never say never.
  • DecreeB Heptarch 2012/12/29 19:58:50
    DecreeB
    I suppose that's right. There's a theory that neutrinos can travel faster than the speed of light, so maybe it's possible to go faster. Plus someone's developed a camera that can shoot fast enough to capture light as it's moving, seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
    But it would be a very long time to figure out how to make something as large as a human (and a ship) to go that fast. However, I suppose it may happen one day.
  • Heptarch DecreeB 2012/12/30 12:29:13 (edited)
    Heptarch
    Check this out:

The mathematics and physics for FTL drives already exist. The issue is overcoming the energy requirements or coming up with ways to reduce them.

I think the solution is not to try to go faster than light but, as with the Alcubierre Drive, to play with the fabric of space/time.
  • DecreeB Heptarch 2012/12/30 17:09:40
    DecreeB
    I totally forgot about that aspect! Okay, I'm not familiar with the Alcubierre Drive, but I do know about wormholes, which was one of the things Einstein theorized. This is actually really interesting to read about, though. I hope one day we can achieve this!
  • Heptarch DecreeB 2012/12/30 17:12:33
    Heptarch
    As do I. I personally believe that the ultimate destiny of the human race lies within the exploration of the universe.
  • DecreeB Heptarch 2012/12/30 17:16:14
    DecreeB
    Definitely. You know, I used to believe that if aliens existed (and if they were smarter than us, which is much less likely) than we still probably won't see them because it'd be nearly impossible for them to cross such a large expanse. But after learning about this, I see that it's completely possible! I can't stop watching videos on this now! :D
  • Heptarch DecreeB 2012/12/30 17:39:37
    Heptarch
    hehehe Yeah, it's fascinating stuff.

I read an article recently that theorized why we haven't seen aliens. It says that our solar systm developed MUCH later than the star systems nearer the center of the galaxy. As a result, most of the potential opportunities for advanced civilizations are near the center of the galaxy.

We, comparatively speaking, are manning a lonely outpost where not much really happens so there isn't a lot of REASON for aliens to visit out here.
  • DecreeB Heptarch 2012/12/30 17:44:56
    DecreeB
    Oh, that actually makes sense! I never really thought about it that way. Some people are freaking geniuses, and I wish I was one of them! Wow, I have to do more research!
  • Heptarch DecreeB 2012/12/30 17:49:11
    Heptarch
    It really is fascinating reading.
  • Flowers 2012/12/28 15:59:34
    There are other planets with life.
    Flowers
    There are lifeforms out there that created other life forms and transported them to habitable environments.
  • kir Flowers 2012/12/28 16:11:25
    kir
    And you know this how?
  • Flowers kir 2012/12/28 16:18:22
    Flowers
    there is evidence within our ancestors writings, from the very beginning every civilization that was intelligent enough to create a language talked about visitors in some form or another from the sky. Our very DNA proves that we were created specifically to thrive in the environment of this planet.
  • kir Flowers 2012/12/28 16:23:36
    kir
    Our ancestors talked about many things in order to explain that which they did not understand. There is no evidence in our DNA that we were created. In fact we have millions upon millions of years of data that says that our genome slowly changed until it came to what it is today. Selective pressures are going to produce species that work well in an environment. You don't need aliens to do that.
  • Flowers kir 2012/12/28 16:31:51 (edited)
    Flowers
    Do you have proof that we don't need aliens to do that? There is nothing to say that there wasn't artificial help with the progression of our DNA, and actually with all the holes left in the study of fossils there is no way to be sure the theories of such slow evolution even happened. Many questions can be guessed but never answered with absolute certainty because so many pieces to the puzzle didn't survive the decay process.

As far as our ancestors go, you are more than welcome to believe what ever you want but it is more than just simple explanations for things they did not understand when entire civilizations describe visitors from the sky and how they arrived there exactly the same way with no known ability to communicate with each other. Again, no KNOWN ability to communicate. If our world had a catastrophic event that destroyed all living humans today, in 2,000 years all of our communications would be gone. All the wires and electronics we use today would have long ago disappeared and IF there were intelligent lifeforms they would have to guess about our communications just as we have guessed about theirs. It is quite possible that we would in fact appear just as prehistoric as the Sumerians appear to us now.

You can not be sure of anything, we can only guess.
  • kir Flowers 2012/12/28 16:40:22
    kir
    Question: If aliens are needed for the evolution of advanced life, where did aliens come from?
  • Flowers kir 2012/12/28 16:43:52
    Flowers
    I never pretend to know the answer to that question. We aren't given that knowledge, for some reason. If time is a circle, one that has no beginning and no end then the creator would have at some point been created by it's creations (time travel? time/space continuum?) The possible answers to that question are limitless, and in my opinion have no right or wrong answer on this plane of existence. If you find out, please let me know. I have been asking that very thing since I was old enough to know what the stars were.
  • kir Flowers 2012/12/28 16:51:11
    kir
    Well isn't that a great answer. "I never pretend to know the answer. It's not given to us".

It's the exact same answer I get from those who are religious. You've just replaced the word gods with the word aliens.

You are faced with two options. Aliens are needed for advanced life to be created but somehow aliens exist anyway or aliens are not needed for advanced life to form and it has. The second is the more simple explanation and therefore the one to be picked according to Occam's Razor.
  • Flowers kir 2012/12/28 17:16:46
    Flowers
    Well I'm pretty sure aliens ARE gods so yeah I guess I did. We can't know all the answers, it doesn't mean aliens aren't needed for life to advance. It just means we don't have the knowledge to comprehend what goes on around us.
  • Who wants a cupcake? 2012/12/28 15:55:35
    There are other planets with life.
    Who wants a cupcake?
    i think so
  • Golden Panther 2012/12/28 15:54:44
    There are other planets with life.
    Golden Panther
    To think otherwise is naive. Earth is a third class planet in a smallish solar system and of little, if any, significance in the total universe...now why would we be the only one with human or animal life?
  • There are other planets with life.
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    And they're not stopping by for good reason (we don't have any).
  • Fran-Halen 2012/12/28 14:18:49
    There are other planets with life.
    Fran-Halen
    +1
    In the vastness that is the universe, how could there not be?
  • MadMax 2012/12/28 14:04:30
    MadMax
    I hope so. It would make the future much more interesting.
  • martin28 2012/12/28 13:54:21
    There are other planets with life.
    martin28
    +1
    I believe G-D created a vast universe it would be narrow minded to believe he created only one planet with life. However for whatever reason we have not been able to successfully find any, but that does not mean we are it.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... martin28 2012/12/28 14:55:56
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    If, in this vast universe, we're the only ones here, doesn't say much for god.
    What about that 'other flocks' remark by Jesus?
  • martin28 ⚥Κόζμω ... 2013/01/07 04:42:53
    martin28
    +1
    I don't see how that would say anything bad about him, the finite can never begin to understand the mental workings of the infinite.
  • Radlad 2012/12/28 12:51:24
    Radlad
    +1
    Unknown! If we go with what evidence and facts that we have at the moment. Painstakingly review and with logical scientifical analysis of those facts we have and know for certain. We would have to conclude that we're it. That there is no other life out there in the universe........
    Having said that...... Considering the number of galaxies there are and the number of stars in all those galaxies. To believe that we're it. That earth is the only planet that has given birth to life. Strikes me that that is a very unlikely scenario. The odds are good that there are a lot more worlds that have life on 'em. The question is: What type of life?

2014/12/21 20:51:46