Is the Republican Party still the Party of God?

Shadow13 2012/05/12 04:51:20
Yes, the GOP is still God's Party
No, they are the furthest thing from.

Matthew 25:31–46
31"But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 34Then the King will tell those on his right hand, 'Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. 36I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink? 38When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?'
40"The King will answer them, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' 41Then he will say also to those on the left hand, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; 42for I was hungry, and you didn't give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; 43I was a stranger, and you didn't take me in; naked, and you didn't clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn't visit me.'
44"Then they will also answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn't help you?'
45"Then he will answer them, saying, 'Most certainly I tell you, in as much as you didn't do it to one of the least of these, you didn't do it to me.' 46These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

• luvguins 2012/05/12 05:30:04
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    luvguins
    +5
    The GOP has become the party for the radical religious right primarily since affiliating with the Moral Majority during Nixons term in the late 60's after civil rights were granted. The ascension of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson became part of Nixon's Southern Strategy, and began the religious rigidity and bigotry seen now. Remember Falwell later saying that homosexuals were somehow responsible for 9/11? Pat Robertson doubles down and say liberals and homosexuals are out to kill Christians, and the link gives you more of his infamous quotes. These radicals did not practice the teaching of Matthew in any way, but inflamed their members with hate and intolerance, and created more similar ministries across the country that have stayed aligned with and promoted the GOP politically.

http://politicalhumor.about.c...

• Swan Eshdeh 2012/05/18 21:17:16 (edited)
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    Swan Eshdeh
    who said so!!??
    Yes, the GOP is still God's Party
    If you want to consider Satan God yes. There is NO POLITICAL PARTY OR RELIGIOUS GROUP that is God's representative today. That ended with the death of the Christ according to the BIBLE
  • Lindsey 2012/05/15 23:20:14
    Yes, the GOP is still God's Party
    Lindsey
    Lol I always wonder where the people of non-christian religions fit into this..
  • Shadow13 Lindsey 2012/05/16 00:07:29
    Shadow13
    I crafted it according to the fact that they constantly reference the "Abrahamic god" In fact, it applies to the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim God. Being an agnostic I reference mostly the values these religions supposedly represent.
  • ajracestables1 2012/05/15 16:30:39
    Yes, the GOP is still God's Party
    ajracestables1
    At least most of them don't support murder in the form of abortion, however there is no godlyness in politics at all with either party.
  • Shadow13 ajraces... 2012/05/15 17:49:17
    Shadow13
    No they just support having the police beat, shoot and torture them to death. They love sending young men and women into combat unprepared to further business interests. And they love denying care to sick and poor people, letting them die slow painful needless deaths.
  • ajraces... Shadow13 2012/05/15 23:32:58
    ajracestables1
    Ya, only the republicans do that, NOT!
  • Shadow13 ajraces... 2012/05/16 00:09:00
    Shadow13
    There have been those few that call themselves democrats that have, but in comparison EVERY republican has taken it as their personal mission to regress humanity.
  • mama sew,gung ho 2012/05/15 00:29:34
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    mama sew,gung ho
    The man that prays in the street,prays for man.But the one that prays in his prayer closet,prays for God!"My prayer closet,is my bathroom!" That's the only place where my five kids,husband,mother,nor the world can bother me!
  • Leona Hill 2012/05/13 15:57:07
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    Leona Hill
    +1
    They can't "still" be something they never were.
  • Muriel 2012/05/13 15:05:15
    Yes, the GOP is still God's Party
    Muriel
    I find it difficult to say yes or no. It is rediculous to think Gods'party is republican or democrat REMEMBER we are allGods' children. NO ONE Has Dubbs on God. What the republicans do have is a deeper commitment to the commandments and lessons taught over the centuries. Others treat them as fluff and nonexistent if it interferes with their agenda or cause!!!!!!
  • RoseLyle 2012/05/13 10:47:06
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    RoseLyle
    +1
    Never thought of them as God's Party. Our nation was supposed to be founded on Godly principals, but sadly the majority of leaders in both parties are not upholding those principals but instead worshiping the "almighty dollar".
  • FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2012/05/13 02:11:51
    Yes, the GOP is still God's Party
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +1
    Just like this:

"We are determined, as leaders of the nation, to fulfill as a national government the task which has been given to us, swearing fidelity only to God, our conscience, and our People.... This the national government will regard its first and foremost duty to restore the unity of spirit and purpose of our People. It will preserve and defend the foundations upon which the power of our nation rests. It will take Christianity, as the basis of our collective morality, and the family as the nucleus of our citizens and state, under its firm protection....May God Almighty take our work into his grace, give true form to our will, bless our insight, and endow us with the trust of our countrymen." - Adolph Hitler, February 1, 1933.
  • Muriel FAWKES'... 2012/05/13 15:08:02
    Muriel
    +1
    Scares me.
  • FAWKES'... Muriel 2012/05/13 16:20:02
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +1
    They don't even realize it.
  • Moonage 2012/05/13 01:27:11
    Yes, the GOP is still God's Party
    Moonage
    +1
    No one ever said it was God's Party in the first place. Given they originally argued for a smaller, less intrusive federal government, it could be argued they were agnostic politically. Given Obama's war on religion, it's very safe to argue the Democrats are the farthest thing from God's Party right now.
  • Shadow13 Moonage 2012/05/13 01:39:32
  • Moonage Shadow13 2012/05/13 01:42:53 (edited)
    Moonage
    +1
    You're confusing a religious person who happens to be a Republican with the principals of the party itself. Since Obama is OBVIOUSLY anti-Catholic and panders to Muslims, then by your logic, the Democrats are the party of Allah.
  • Shadow13 Moonage 2012/05/13 01:41:19
  • Moonage Shadow13 2012/05/13 01:46:04
    Moonage
    +1
    See previous reply. There is nothing that says anywhere that in order to be Republican you have to be religious. The problem is the Democrat party has tilted so far liberal and anti-religion since the 60's that the Republican Party has appealed to people who value religion. However, I am very agnostic and very Republican. How do you figure that?
  • Shadow13 Moonage 2012/05/13 01:52:58 (edited)
    Shadow13
    That you are an agnostic that favors an authoritarian perspective on society. I am an agnostic too, we both know our beliefs or lack there of are derived from philosophical reasoning rather than religious ones. Where as I may favor Utilitarianism, you may favor Objectivism. You may be a republican simply due to your flawed understanding of economics, or faith in their flawed understanding. It could be a toss up really.
  • Moonage Shadow13 2012/05/13 03:55:46
    Moonage
    +1
    how does smaller federal government represent authoritarian philosophy ? the rest is simply illogical babbling of the norm that has no historical support.
  • Shadow13 Moonage 2012/05/13 05:26:48
    Shadow13
    What is stated and what is practiced are often two different things. Their "smaller government" means ignoring unfair labor practices, ignoring widespread pollution, and ignoring the responsibilities of the state all while increasing the privatization of once free public services, increasingly oppressive social polices, and erosion of the public's civil rights.
  • raine 2012/05/13 01:11:00
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    raine
    I do not think God deals with politics in any way.
  • Shadow13 raine 2012/05/13 01:28:15
    Shadow13
    it is through polices that men of a nation interact with his fellow man. They say god is everywhere, to various degrees though.
  • byz 2012/05/13 00:52:09
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    byz
    +1
    No. Hezbollah is "The Party of God"
  • Laura Densmore 2012/05/12 23:22:46
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    Laura Densmore
    +1
    The kind of laws and policies they're supporting are not Christian. They SAY that those are actually the more Christian policies but they aren't...
  • Krystle 2012/05/12 21:05:13
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    Krystle
    +1
    My choice says it all.
  • Mimosa 2012/05/12 19:21:56
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    Mimosa
    +2
    God is not a religion, and God is not political.
  • Zolfie™ 2012/05/12 19:08:14
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    Zolfie™
    +1
    I don't think there is a God's political Party ... I think the political parties are greed parties and follow the money and not the people....
  • Flamingolady 2012/05/12 19:02:24
    Yes, the GOP is still God's Party
    Flamingolady
    I think there are still many good Republicans. Just as there are many good Democrats. It is the politics that divides good men, the division makes for bad government.
  • gkirmani 2012/05/12 18:56:56
    Yes, the GOP is still God's Party
    gkirmani
    What a shame.......CAT IS OUT....it proves that US is NOT a DEMOCRATIC STATE when it is GOP in White house..............
  • VoiceOfReason 2012/05/12 16:48:51
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    VoiceOfReason
    +1
    The party of War is certainly not the party of God. They would like to think they have the corner on morality and religion but the truth is they use God name to advance their own agenda when it suits them. The party of Hypocrites more like it.
  • wtxwoman 2012/05/12 15:15:47
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    wtxwoman
    +1
    I've always thought they were the party of money, real and imagined.
  • Scott 2012/05/12 15:11:05
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    Scott
    +1
    They'd like us all to think so.
  • L K 2012/05/12 13:19:49 (edited)
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    L K
    +1
    No, in my opinion, they have never been the party of G-d, although they may have professed to be so. Their political tactics at trying to discredit the "other" guy has been about as ungodly as it could get. I think each party has their truly religious members and those members whose god is power and ambition. There is more hatred in professing to be the party of G-d than actual righteousness as far as I'm concerned. The lack of compassion for people of color, for women, and for anyone with a difference in sexual persuasion or way of worshipping, has been astoundingly unchristian like in behavior in my humble opinion. I watched a documentary last night about prohibition and how the Republican party fought hard for prohibition to ban liquor and yet drank heavily at political fund raisers while shutting down establishments and arresting people who did the same. I grew up when both parties seemed to care about this country and each one had an extremist or two. Now the Republican party is overwhelmed with religious right extremist views that don't reflect the majority of educated, hard working Americans. It has become the party of the rich or the party of the nut jobs. Someone like Gingrich can profess to be G-dly as he moves up the political ladder by trading wives and committing adultery....and then taking absurd stands on everything he has already done. I say, it is how a candidate lives rather than their party's rhetoric.
  • heirsoftheking 2012/05/12 12:01:03
    Yes, the GOP is still God's Party
    heirsoftheking
    +1
    Barack Obama doesn't acknowledge the National Day Of Prayer, every 1st Thursday of May. Ronald Reagan brought it to the forefront, and all the churches in our area still observe it.
  • L K heirsof... 2012/05/12 13:29:09 (edited)
    L K
    +1
    His job is to represent ALL of America and you can't legally enforce that in the schools or anywhere else in Public. Obama is following the laws of the land. Reagan really didn't have a right to do this. Everybody loved the guy and so they let it slide....but it wasn't observed throughout most of the country because it went against the constitution. It was not observed in the public schools in Florida where I live because our supreme court found it unconstitutional. Obama being a constitutional professor knows this and wouldn't acknowledge something that was illegal in the first place. I loved Ronnie, but he didn't have a right to create this law. Churches and Temples, however, are religious institutions and they SHOULD observe it daily, not just once a year.
  • Shadow13 heirsof... 2012/05/12 17:16:48
    Shadow13
    So because Obama doesn't doesn't enthusiastically embrace a violation of the separation of church and state, his opponents whom would deny basic care to the poor and sick to benefit the wealthy are automatically "better?"
    I think you should read Matthew 25:31–46 and remember Jesus is the one saying it.
  • cudlow 2012/05/12 11:56:11
    No, they are the furthest thing from.
    cudlow
    +1
    Not any more. We have learned over the years that the demonrats were very far from God - kill babies all the time, destroy God's institution of marriage, side with the ACLU outlawing Christianity. We COULD count on republicans to stand up for God. Now, they have selected a satan worshipping cult member to lead them. The US is truly very past due the wrath of God!

2014/10/20 21:24:40