Is Scientology a religion?

Tee Quake 2012/07/12 06:18:19
Related Topics: Scientology, Religion
I don't know.

• SFF 2012/07/12 12:45:23
    Yes because
    SFF
    +3
    The bar for what constitutes a religion is really low. However, "religion" does not mean "good" any more than it means "bad".

Additionally, the Church of Scientology itself is essentially a criminal organization.

• Leslie Hope 2012/07/16 14:32:22
    Yes because
    Leslie Hope
    +1
    because people make it their way of life and their moral compass. That, unfortunately, is no compliment to them. They need to wake up to the abuses and lear about its origins:
    "Scientology is not, and does not claim to be, a religion. The general attitude of its founder is hostile to and disparaging of religion."
    The Anderson Report, 1965 available here in full:
    http://​exscientologistsirela...
  • Aaron 2012/07/15 18:26:24
    Yes because
    Aaron
    +1
    It is a new-age religion that believes in God and that you are a spirit. They believe that through practicing their religion they can reach greater spiritual heights. This is something that people of all religions believe in. Based on that alone it falls into the definition of a religion.
  • SFF Aaron 2012/07/16 13:13:08 (edited)
    SFF
    +1
    They don't believe in God (in any sense that monotheists would recognize, which is kind of what capital-G God tends to mean). They believe that we are all essentially gods.
  • Tim Upham 2012/07/13 22:18:56
    No because
    Tim Upham
    I am not quite sure what Scientology even believes in? Is it Mubu, the giant worm that created the Earth? Who is their Santa Claus? Do they light the Scientology menorah? Or bath in a sacred river? I thought Tom Cruise looked wet. They must believe in serial polygamy, because Tom Cruise does.
  • Alli 2012/07/12 22:45:13
    No because
    Alli
    It's closer to a cult but partially a religion. Two options can't really clarify it
  • Frank 2012/07/12 17:37:15
    Yes because
    Frank
    +2
    It's not what I believe, it's wat their memmbers believe........
  • frank 2012/07/12 17:12:26
    No because
    frank
    I think it is much more like a cult then a religion.
    No because
    Waiting for the space ship doesn't make it a religion, cult is a better word.
  • Jasmin 2012/07/12 14:29:50
    Yes because
    Jasmin
    +2
    they have a church and their own bible. i mean i could be worse they could be the flying spagetti monster religion.
  • SFF Jasmin 2012/07/12 16:19:20
    SFF
    Why is the church of the flying spaghetti monster worse?
  • Jasmin SFF 2012/07/12 16:28:59
    Jasmin
    +1
    i think there both ridiculous but the idea of a flying spagetti monster losing a "tentical" that fell and made the first humans from it isnt really sensible to me. but on the other hand its just one persons opinion
  • SFF Jasmin 2012/07/12 16:32:48
    SFF
    So a religion is better if it is more plausible? That's one way to grade them, I suppose.
  • Jasmin SFF 2012/07/12 16:37:05
    Jasmin
    +1
    im not saying that because my religion isnt such a plausible one it really just depends on what your beliefs are and i just dont believe it
  • SFF Jasmin 2012/07/12 16:43:49
    SFF
    +1
    I don't believe any of them and therefore tend to judge them by what they do in the world. And I have never heard of Pastafarians involved in child labor and human trafficking or killing anyone in their care.

That's a win for the Flying Spaghetti Monster over the Church of Scientology in my book.
  • Jasmin SFF 2012/07/12 16:50:22
    Jasmin
    +1
    thats perfectly fine
  • MandaLynne 2012/07/12 13:49:30
    No because
    MandaLynne
    +2
    The Church of Scientology is a vicious and dangerous cult that masquerades as a religion. Its purpose is to make money. It practices a variety of mind-control techniques on people lured into its midst to gain control over their money and their lives. Its aim is to take from them every penny that they have and can ever borrow and to also enslave them to further its ends.

It was started in the 1950s by a science fiction writer named L. Ron Hubbard in fulfilment to his declared aim to start a religion to make money. It is an offshoot to a method of psychotherapy he concocted from various sources which he named "Dianetics". Dianetics is a form of regression therapy. It was then further expanded to appear more like a religion in order to enjoy tax benefits. He called it "Scientology".

Scientology is a confused concoction of crackpot, dangerously applied psychotherapy, oversimplified, idiotic and inapplicable rules and ideas and science-fiction drivel that is presented to its members (at the "advanced" levels) as profound spiritual truth.
  • Sew 2012/07/12 12:53:43
    Yes because
    Sew
    it doesn't take much to be a religio. Simply beilieve.
  • SFF 2012/07/12 12:45:23
    Yes because
    SFF
    +3

• Christopher Kirchen 2012/07/12 11:08:21
    No because
    Christopher Kirchen
    I've heard it's more of a cult.
  • Nimitz 2012/07/12 06:46:12
    Yes because
    Nimitz
    +2
    It's adherents regard it as such, ergo/hence. :-)

I, too, would have preferred an Undecided box to tick. 'Technically,' or at least legally, it seems to have met the definition. There's an object or objects of worship, a dogma/doctrine, proselytes, etc.
  • Tarheel 2012/07/12 06:37:38
    No because
    Tarheel
    +2
    I would have preferred "undecided". I remember seeing the commercials for L.Ron Hubbard's book about 9 million times. I thought it was a science fiction novel or something. As I am an avid reader and I kind of thought, if someone spent that much advertising dollars on promoting a book then it must be good. Luckily, I'm too skeptical about ordering things off of television. I think it was just a few years ago that I found out that was on "Scientology". Then, it seemed, that several movie stars were involved in it. I really don't know much about it. However, I did meet (online) someone on sh who is one and she spoke highly of it.
  • Nimitz Tarheel 2012/07/12 06:49:03
    Nimitz
    +1
    Excellent response!

(I would suggest a bit of 'independent' research, however. These dudes are stra-a-ange! I know the same thing could be said about us Christians, but IMO, Scientologists beat us hands down in the weird department.!
  • Tarheel Nimitz 2012/07/12 06:57:35
    Tarheel
    +1
    Yeah, I agree but i promised someone I wouldn't make bad comments about Scientology. I really would have to do research because I don't know anything about what it is about. But it's funny, because growing up primarily in the south, most people are Christians (or claim to be). I was in my late 20's and working in radio (this was in the 80's) before I met people who were Jewish, Catholic and a couple who (gasp) didn't believe in God. It's just been in the last 10 years or so that I've read so many views about Christians where others think we're crazy. Certainly many on this site think it's crazy! Hey, what is your opinion on Mormons? That's being discussed so much because of Mitt Romney.
  • Nimitz Tarheel 2012/07/12 07:05:32 (edited)
    Nimitz
    Mormons are an 'interesting' bunch to say the least, but they're relatively benign these days. They're also big into Christian outreach--which I like! I couldn't be a Mormon on the basis of various scriptural issues, but I've no problem calling them friends. They say what they believe and generally live what they say.
  • Tarheel Nimitz 2012/07/12 07:10:58
    Tarheel
    +1
    I've seen them in my neighborhood although, they've never come to my house. I admire the fact that they go on mission trips as Stilman the freshman (he is a Mormon) who had to fill in for Henson during the NCAA Basketball Tournament for the Tar Heels. (Wow, I can't believe it has taken me this long on this site to bring up UNC Basketball)
  • Nimitz Tarheel 2012/07/12 18:28:36
  • AnonRanGER Tarheel 2012/07/15 14:42:31
    AnonRanGER
    I find it interesting that you had to promise "someone" (I know who) not to make bad comments about Scientology.
    "Someone" must either think you'd be ignorant enough to make bad comments about something you're uninformed about or that you'd be vile enough to make bad comments about Scientology without any reason.
    OR she knows there's tons of valid, fact-based criticism of Scientology out there and wants you to shut up about it if you discover it.
    Which do you think it is? Or do you see another option that I missed?
  • Tarheel AnonRanGER 2012/07/15 21:39:28
    Tarheel
    Yes, I am a decent percent who was asked not to comment about Scientology. I had made a comment before and she sent me an email and I told her that I wouldn't weigh in about it. I know some things about it but as I said, I am respecting so one's request. Unlike you who comes on a post calling me ignorant and vile. Thanks for being a jerk. As I said I was respecting someone's requisition. Perhaps you should try it, respect, that is.
  • AnonRanGER Tarheel 2012/07/15 23:09:40
    AnonRanGER
    Uhm, when exactly did I call you "ignorant and vile"? Please read my comment again. I was listing the possible reasons why SHE asks you to promise not to make bad comments about Scientology. Only three came to mind, and I was even asking you to add other possible options if you could think of any. Ultimately, I was trying to make you wonder exactly why she made you promise never to talk badly about Scientology.

And yeah, she sends e-mails to people commenting on Scientology a lot. I bet she went on and on about how awesome Scientology is and how all the critics are just bigoted haters and all that and how you should ignore them, and never say anything bad about Scientology. Doesn't that make you wonder?
    The only criticism of you that I have, is that you promised such a thing before getting informed about it. No offense. Believe me, when you do some independent research (not limited to Scientology sites), you'll regret your promise, if you are the kind of person I believe you to be.

Scientologists will always tell you to get informed about Scientology exclusively through Scientology sources, and to disregard any other sources, which are predominantely negative and provide proof of the corruption and abuses going on in organized Scientology. Anonymous will always tell you to look ...

Scientologists will always tell you to get informed about Scientology exclusively through Scientology sources, and to disregard any other sources, which are predominantely negative and provide proof of the corruption and abuses going on in organized Scientology. Anonymous will always tell you to look at both sides and come to your own conclusions.
    I don't have any beef with individual Scientologists (except the OSA handlers on the internet doing damage control, but even with them I know they're just mislead and manipulated). Everyone can believe whatever they want as far as I'm concerned, however ridiculous those beliefs may sound to me personally. My grudge is exclusively with the Scientology enterprise.
    I have no problem whatsoever with the Freezone or the Independent Scientologists either - the Church of Scientology does. Find out how far the Church of Scientology's "religious tolerance" goes when it's about people practicing Scientology without paying them for it; why Scientologists outside of the "Church" are actually loosely allied with critics like me; and how those Independent Scientologists are actually trying to SAVE Scientology - the religion - from the current leader of the Church of Scientology, David Miscavige.

Do some research on your own - that's all I'm asking. Find out why she made you promise never to make bad comments about Scientology. When you do, you'll see my posts - and hers - in a totally different light. I promise you THAT.

Have a nice day.
  • Tarheel AnonRanGER 2012/07/16 01:25:05
    Tarheel
    +1
    I am not for Scientology. I am a Christian and a Baptist. At the time I do not know whom or what Scientology worships (besides power and money). However, that being said, it was not my intention to hurt someone's feelings who is part of that "religion" (yes it's in air quotes). I know how it feels to have people crap on your religion (as I have as a Christian). She seemed like a nice person and perhaps she will make a different decision on her own. However, if i come and brow beat her, I don't see how that will help. The only thing I really knew about scientology was all the commercials for L.Ron Hubbard books. I had no idea it was a "religion" until certain hollywwod types became involved (and I don't see that as a positive. The few things I have read it has to do with intimidation of their followers. Other than that, I have no idea of what they actually follow. I'm not trying to insult you either. It is somewhat of a conundrum. I'll try in my spare time and also feel free to message me. If I start coming down on someone about their "religion" I don't see how that will help the situation. And I apologize for the misunderstanding I had in regards to your comment. Obviously, anything Tom Cruise is really big into would raise a huge flag. But then again, I would...
    I am not for Scientology. I am a Christian and a Baptist. At the time I do not know whom or what Scientology worships (besides power and money). However, that being said, it was not my intention to hurt someone's feelings who is part of that "religion" (yes it's in air quotes). I know how it feels to have people crap on your religion (as I have as a Christian). She seemed like a nice person and perhaps she will make a different decision on her own. However, if i come and brow beat her, I don't see how that will help. The only thing I really knew about scientology was all the commercials for L.Ron Hubbard books. I had no idea it was a "religion" until certain hollywwod types became involved (and I don't see that as a positive. The few things I have read it has to do with intimidation of their followers. Other than that, I have no idea of what they actually follow. I'm not trying to insult you either. It is somewhat of a conundrum. I'll try in my spare time and also feel free to message me. If I start coming down on someone about their "religion" I don't see how that will help the situation. And I apologize for the misunderstanding I had in regards to your comment. Obviously, anything Tom Cruise is really big into would raise a huge flag. But then again, I wouldn't want someone who seems nice to be annihilated on SH. On know the mean-spirited comments I've received for being a Christian. Thank you for your post. I look up additional information but I'm sure I won't like what I read. Have a wonderful evening.
  • Stryder 2012/07/12 06:37:28
    No because
    Stryder
    It's a cult.
  • PoliticallyIncorrect 2012/07/12 06:25:08
    No because
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +1
    I just said no to make a comment. Everyone that I've known who believes in scientology is certifiable. Of course I don't know Tom Cruise, but I think he's a flake. L Ron Hubbard was bizarre. It would be nice to know someone who isn't 3 bricks short of a load who belongs to it, but I don't think I'm cut out to be an immortal alien.
  • Vitalani 2012/07/12 06:25:01
    Yes because
    Vitalani
    +3
    I don't see why not...
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/07/12 06:20:15
    Yes because
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    It's a religion but not necessarily a good one.
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/07/12 06:20:10
    Yes because
    Inquisitve Kat
    +2
    It's, in essence, a religion... not different from any other religion.

Why wouldn't it be?

2014/10/21 12:13:06