Is Prom overrated?

TruBluTopaz 2011/04/16 14:02:52
Related Topics: Party, Restaurant, School
I am curious about the attitudes current teens have toward the American rite of passage known as Prom. I have noted that more teens are opting not to go. What used to be an event that all could afford has ballooned into a social event largely run by the parents of the elite for the elite students. It's not your grandpa's prom. There are no longer streamers and balloons in the school gym while some local band plays. There is no punch to be spiked.

What does exist seems to be a small group of kids striving to afford a one night occasion at all costs. Formal are bought, limos are rented, dinners at chichi restaurants are made. Some kids go as groups to split the costs. Some kids opt for less expensive options such as one group of 12 kids are making their own dinner and parents are serving them by the family pool. So some families are not going overboard. The PTSA is sponsoring an after prom event with casino games and prizes at the local rc center.

But unfortunately, that's the good side. I also have overheard about girls "pregaming". For those of you out of the loop, that means getting drunk and or high before the dance. They will be high before they take those photos and eat that expensive dinner and board that rented party bus. They will sneak alcohol and pills all night. Then they will head to hotel suites RENTED BY PARENTS......at this point I digress. What do these parents think these kids are going to do in these suites-play Monopoly?

So in the end, what could be a night to remember might could end up being a night someone could spend the rest of their lives trying to forget.

So, what is your attitude about prom? Is it or was it great? Is it overblown? Is it just an excuse for bad behavior?

• ★misfit★ 2011/04/16 15:01:30
    ★misfit★
    I never went, so I don't know. But I do know I'm not too heartbroken that I didn't go.
  • zlazyks 2011/04/16 14:21:03
    zlazyks
    Its WAY overrated but at the same time its like something you have to go to. But the after party's are good and the night spent in a hotel room with your date is even better.
  • TruBluT... zlazyks 2011/04/16 17:47:39
    TruBluTopaz
    That may be a valid point of view as a teen, but fastforward a few years and would you want your kid in that same situation?
  • zlazyks TruBluT... 2011/04/16 20:08:05
    zlazyks
    I am flashed forward and I got a daughter who will be going to prom in 5 or 6 years. I know what happens at prom at at high school party's. i hope my kids are responsible like I was(and their mum was) and be safe about it.
  • TruBluT... zlazyks 2011/04/17 15:13:52
    TruBluTopaz
    To be fair, not all kids indulge. And not all parents condone hedonistic behavior. The PTSA's often sponsor post prom events with games, activities and prizes. This year they gave away three laptops, four sound systems and a plasma screen televison donated by local businesses and individuals. They supplied pizza and soda, free laser tag and bowling all night long. But the parents of the elites persist in making it into an orgy because when they grew up, it is what they saw on the movie screen from the brat pack.
  • zlazyks TruBluT... 2011/04/17 15:16:05
    zlazyks
    LOL

2014/11/22 10:12:20