Is it racist?

jaydenvdv 2012/06/12 01:24:58
Related Topics: American, Hair, Questions, Live

I see a lot of questions on here about people being racist. And a lot of odd answers (at least in my opinion) So I have a question about it. I grew up near an indian reservation. People always have asked me if I am native american. Now this assumption is based on my slightly darker skin tone, dark hair and dark eyes and on where I live. I'm 100% white. Is this racism and what would people do if I freaked out on them?

• Matthew Marek 2012/07/16 17:09:13
    Here's my thoughts....
    Matthew Marek
    i wouldn't consider it racism... they just happen to be assuming that since you live near a reservation... and if you flip out then they probably won't bother you anymore.
  • Platinum Fangs 2012/07/10 17:02:08
    Here's my thoughts....
    Platinum Fangs
    You live near a reservation, sort of have the appearance for it, and people thought you're a Native American. It's perfectly logical for them to assume that. Racism is if they denounce and disrespect you because of your race. This is just people being mistaken, that's all.

I'm guessing you're Italian?
  • jaydenvdv Platinu... 2012/07/10 19:27:38
    jaydenvdv
    lol nope english and irish
  • Platinu... jaydenvdv 2012/07/10 19:52:37
    Platinum Fangs
    Oh o.k. I guessed that cause for a long time Italians played Native Americans in film, and Native Americans pretended to be Italian in order to fit in more. But thnx for clearin that up.
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/06/30 20:01:06
  • bettyboop 2012/06/29 13:15:55 (edited)
    Here's my thoughts....
    bettyboop
    +1
    I am of native indian heritage and on occasion I have had someone speak spanish to me. I am not offended nor do I think its racist, their just trying to find someone to talk to.
  • Justina Jackson 2012/06/28 08:41:53
    Here's my thoughts....
    Justina Jackson
    There are some people who just ASSUME that you could be native/white and there are those who will ask your ethnicity, personally as a 100% native american i have had people come up to me speaking spanish and i just look at them all quizzical not understanding because im not mexican and they say do you not speak spanish and ill respond no im native american and they respond are you sure you're name is WHOSTINA as they would pronounce it. i respond yes im sure. wth man?! i just let it go ignorance some people never grow out of it.
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/06/28 03:55:42
    Here's my thoughts....
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    I have had people tell me and my wife (and she was born on the Eastern Band of Cherokee's Qualla Boundary) that we don't look Native American. LOL Yeah we both got some white in our family. But we are more Native American than white. What good does it do you to freak out? We would be freaking out all the time and have high blood pressure. LOL
  • Ben 2012/06/22 20:18:57
    Here's my thoughts....
    Ben
    +1
    Don't freak out on people. People ask me all the tim eif I'm Jewish because I have a very pronounced nose. Its American Indian, actually. It can get frustrating telling people over and over again what you really are. The reason people are asking is just out of curiosity. If they are asking you in the first place, that means they think you are interesting and they are looking for a reason to talk to you. So, they ask the first question that pops up. I wouldn't take offense. You could say, "No I am 100% white. What is your decendency?"
  • Jenna Smith 2012/06/15 20:45:34
  • John Duffee 2012/06/14 16:56:32
    No just curiosity
    John Duffee
    While not entirely appropriate, it is rather topical, especially since in parts of the country where I've been and there have been larger concentrations of native americans and mixed individuals with native american heritage, those people were rather vocal in their pride and discussion of this fact of their ancestry.
  • Sayer Stewart 2012/06/13 22:20:15
    No just curiosity
    Sayer Stewart
    Racism is saying something bad about a certain race. Asking what someone's race is is not racism.
  • Solomonster 2012/06/12 22:29:24
    Here's my thoughts....
    Solomonster
    They probably wanted to hit on you. But had to make sure you weren't their cousin.
  • jaydenvdv Solomon... 2012/06/12 23:19:15
    jaydenvdv
    you are such an a$$!
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2012/06/12 19:28:42
    Here's my thoughts....
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    It's most likely curiosity, not racism. I'm Mexican but people often assume I'm either Indian or Middle Eastern. It was a bit awkward and annoying at first, but I eventually learned to ignore it.
  • Heavy 2012/06/12 04:42:07
    No just curiosity
    Heavy
    People don't know until they ask.
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/06/12 01:44:52
    Here's my thoughts....
    Rusty Shackleford
    It all depends on who's asking the question.
  • Alexis24 2012/06/12 01:41:04
  • User Deactivated 2012/06/12 01:26:14
    No just curiosity
    User Deactivated
    It's really none of their business, but I fail to see how it is racist. They simply want to know.

2014/11/01 06:14:55