I'm a godless liberal. Do you hate me by default?

Met 2012/04/30 11:38:35
Related Topics: Liberal
No (explain)
Of Course I do (explain)

• Grammar... Shae 2012/05/06 11:48:22
    Grammar Freak
    Sounds like you went to a really good school.
    Here in Germany, each federal state has its own system. So if you're in Bavaria, there are crucifixes on the walls of every classroom, while in Berlin that would absolutely not be tolerated in any way.
    When a kid starts school in most small towns in Westfalia, they are divided up the first day... Catholic & Protestant. Where does that leave the agnostic/atheist, Muslim or Jewish kids? I don't know the answer.
    In Berlin, the kids have the option of learning ethics or religion. Kids love the religion classes because they get to learn about all the religions, & especially Islam... so they get to understand why their female friends/neighbors will suddenly start wearing a hijab. The parents & kids choose which class & the class is taught in the third or fourth grade.

I think the big problem is that people don't understand that teaching children at a very young age about cultures, of which religion is a very big part, serves to keep children open-minded & reduces racism & prejudice. It has been shown to be very beneficial. It isn't about convincing anyone the one religion is right/wrong or better/worse than any other. It's just about giving the children the information, not preaching or evangelizing. While evolution should be taught in ...

&&&&

I think the big problem is that people don't understand that teaching children at a very young age about cultures, of which religion is a very big part, serves to keep children open-minded & reduces racism & prejudice. It has been shown to be very beneficial. It isn't about convincing anyone the one religion is right/wrong or better/worse than any other. It's just about giving the children the information, not preaching or evangelizing. While evolution should be taught in science classes, not humanities classes.

Like you said, we Americans (& Canadians) have a very unique situation. Our society is made up of every culture & race on the planet. It literally stems from variety, where the other nations have a base of aboriginal people who usually want their society to revolve around their cultural traditions. We don't have that. Our traditions have their roots in loads of other cultures. We have to live together & accept each other FOR our differences, not fight each other because of them. The best time to start teaching understanding of each other is at a very young age. They'll have a much easier time in school & life, in general.
  • Shae Grammar... 2012/05/07 17:50:14
    Shae
    +1
    I did go to a great school, thank you.
    I only graduated with 50 kids but we were a very diverse school.

I'm surprised in Germany they aren't more accomidating to Jewish students seeing as what happened in the 40s. I would think they would be over-accomidating.

I completely agree with you on teaching of other backgrounds. How can you hate a Jewish kid if they invite you to a Sadar, or a Christian kid when you get to be included in Christmas, or a Muslim kid when you celebrate the feast after Ramadan?

Learning from each other is the first way for everyone to accept each other.
  • Grammar... Shae 2012/05/07 22:45:10
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    Oh. Well, I don't really know all the details of the dividing-up processes the Germans implement. But I guess they feel (in Bavaria) that having a crucifix on the wall of a class room reminds the kids that they had better behave (or else!) & I suppose there is the theory that if the kids behave in a Christian-manner, the Jewish kids won't have to worry about "that" ever happening again. They're also deeply Catholic & deeply adverse to change in that regard.
    It's their nation. I just live/work in it. Who am I to say what they should or shouldn't do?
  • Shae Grammar... 2012/05/08 14:07:33
    Shae
    Good point.
  • Met Shae 2012/05/04 21:19:19
    Met
    Yep i am.

Because a theory is something that has not been disproved. There are many working theories as to the creation of the universe, all of them well thought out and waiting on scientific advancement to prove or disprove them.

This is why we call it a theory.

Simply assuming everything is the way it is because a personified being of man's image created it all for us, is not only ludicrous, but just lazy science.
  • Shae Met 2012/05/07 17:38:37
    Shae
    Religion isn't taught in science class.
    Its not even preached about. So I don't understand your problems with it.

Religion is only mentioned in history or current events classes.

How is having religion in humanities or ethics classes against evolution?
  • Met Shae 2012/05/01 16:44:15 (edited)
    Met
    +1
    Religion may play a large part of cultural influence. It also offers nada in the way of scientific understanding of the world. not one scripture can be found in the current laws and accepted theories that make up the collective scientific discovery of mankind. Further, the superstitions and misconceptions religion breeds set mankind back centuries during the dark ages. Even today it continues to set us back decades in scientific discovery.

If you want to teach religion, it belongs in mythology. not science.
  • S123 Met 2012/05/01 18:40:24
    S123
    Who said it belongs in science?
  • Met S123 2012/05/01 18:43:38
    Met
    +1
    Everyone who introduces legislation.

They're not mad that Christianity isn't being taught alongside Zeus.

They're upset because it's not accepted as a viable substitute for 5000 years of scientific discovery.
  • S123 Met 2012/05/02 02:57:45
    S123
    Why do you think that's what she wants?
  • Shae Met 2012/05/01 21:23:18
    Shae
    +1
    Do schools only teach science?
    Do they not teach history?
    Do they not teach current events?
    Do they not teach cultural understanding?
  • findthe... Shae 2012/05/02 01:33:27
    findthelight2000
    +1
    You are willingly, and stubbornly refusing to accept the obvious.
  • Shae findthe... 2012/05/02 14:13:48
    Shae
    +1
    I've always been stubborn.
  • Met Shae 2012/05/04 21:25:07
    Met
    Creationism is listed under the Science curriculum by default. It was dreamed up to combat Evolution, which has mechanically been proven many times in laboratory and other settings.

Do you own a dog that's not a grey wolf? EVOLUTION!

Creationism is not taught as mythology, it is taught as fact. If you want to teach it along side Zeus and Jupiter and the oracle of delphi, fine.

But, I have a huge problem with filling our children's head's full of "science" that is not accepted by any major scientific institute that's not self serving by nature. (aka the Vatican's science lab)
  • Shae Met 2012/05/07 17:44:13
    Shae
    I don't know why you have this idea of religion only being taught in science class but it is talked about in school.

Its in literature - the bible as taught for English Literature
    Its in History - acient societies based much of their culture on their religious beliefs
    Its in Humanities - people based their ideas for right and wrong on their religious teachings
    Its in Social Science - people live as the way they were raised
    Its in current events - problems around the world tie to religion and people's prejudices

Not only of these classes discounts evolution or scientific theories.
  • Shae Met 2012/05/07 17:40:11
    Shae
    Science isn't the only class taught in schools.

History
    Humanities
    Social Science
    Ethics
    Literature
    Etc

are all taught in school and all touch on religion.
  • S123 findthe... 2012/05/01 18:45:46
    S123
    +1
    Why do you think she wants to force her religion on anyone?
  • Grammar... S123 2012/05/01 19:34:13
    Grammar Freak
    Be careful!
    Don't push logic or reason on him or he'll block you!
  • Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/04/30 14:32:40
    No (explain)
    Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +2
    Hate is a pretty strong emotion to be invoked on someone I don't know personally. I myself am a godless libertarian, who strongly dislikes more liberal ideals than conservative ideals, but consider both sets of those bad ideals as damaging to all individuals and their liberties.
  • Grammar... Brian ☮... 2012/05/01 19:38:34
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    If you are indeed a Libertarian, you do not hate Conservative ideals at all. In fact you emulate them.
    What you hate as a Libertarian are Neoconservative ideals. Big difference.
    It's fine to hate the Neoconservative ideals... Republicans shove them down the nation's (& rest of the world's) throat at every opportunity. They're wrong for our nation & wrong for the world... but that doesn't matter to a Neoconservative.

But don't get confused. Libertarians are inherently Conservative by nature.
    Don't believe me?
    Just look at Dr. Ron Paul. He's the most Conservative member of Congress by far... with not one Neoconservative bone in his body. He's registered as a Republican simply to run for office, nothing more.

Ron Paul 2012.
  • Nameless 2012/04/30 14:30:55
    No (explain)
    Nameless
    +2
    LOL! I don't hate anyone "by default." ; ) As long as you don't do to others what you don't want done to you, I am all good with you.
  • rand 2012/04/30 14:16:31
    No (explain)
    rand
    +2
    I'm a philosophic Christian who accepts Einstein's "God of Spinoza" and Gandhi's "God of Truth" as being one and the same. Neither Christ nor Spinoza nor Gandhi condoned "hate". Best wishes to you.
  • socokid 2012/04/30 14:13:36
    No (explain)
    socokid
    +3
    No. I tend to keep my hate list down to just a few and are extraordinarily specific... down to the individual. I am not going to include ridiculous generalizations on my list and would consider doing so counterproductive in any case.

Meh.
  • Grammar... socokid 2012/05/06 12:33:35
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    I completely agree with you.
    I hate one person.
    I've chosen to direct any hate-energy I might have to one incredibly destructive, loathsome, evil, rotten semi-human being. Dick Cheney. (shudder)
  • socokid Grammar... 2012/05/06 14:23:17
    socokid
    +1
    I do not like Dick Cheney (at all), but my list is more along the lines of Hitler, Pol Pot, etc...
  • Grammar... socokid 2012/05/06 17:12:43
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    eh.
    They're dead.
    Cheney's still around... still sucking us dry... the entire population of the world, that is.
    (no good, slimy, rotten bastard that he is)
  • socokid Grammar... 2012/05/07 13:29:20 (edited)
    socokid
    +1
    Bashar al-Assad, every slave owner, every child rapist, etc...

Dick Cheney and MANY others in Bush's cabinet were extraordinarily ignorant, resource spending human killing machines. Agreed. But, we elected those a$5holes into office within our democratic republic... TWICE.

I would have to blame the entirety of America if I am to blame Cheney... So, I "hate" the ignorance of the American people in this situation. It is a much harder problem to overcome, IMO.
  • Grammar... socokid 2012/05/07 22:54:08
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    There are many reasons why the public carries very little of the blame (in my opinion)... the well-oiled propaganda machine & the dumming-down of our people are only two of them.

The torture I would inflict on DCheney would be appropriate & well deserved. I think he would prefer water-boarding.
  • kudabux 2012/04/30 14:08:28
    No (explain)
    kudabux
    +7
    I'm a godless centrist, leaning left, often accused of being a liberal which I take as a compliment. LOL
  • DJPanicDC 2012/04/30 14:08:20
    No (explain)
    DJPanicDC
    +6
    No, I automatically add 100 IQ points though
  • Scout 2012/04/30 14:07:03
    No (explain)
    Scout
    +1
    This is America. Do and think as you please. That's Liberty...
  • luvguins 2012/04/30 13:58:14
    No (explain)
    luvguins
    +4
    No way could I hate you. We are our own persons.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/04/30 13:55:59 (edited)
  • burnz777 2012/04/30 13:52:06
    No (explain)
    burnz777
    liberal or democrat?
  • BHGOzzy 2012/04/30 13:41:26
    No (explain)
    BHGOzzy
    Your political ideology does not offend me, so long as you do not attempt to shove it down my throat, and your belief or lack of belief in supernatural mythology has about as much, if LESS impact on my thoughts about you.
  • Willski 2012/04/30 13:39:09
    No (explain)
    Willski
    +1
    aside from the liberal thing i agree with you. and political beliefs irrelevant unless you try to force them upon me.
  • Flowers 2012/04/30 13:35:43
    No (explain)
    Flowers
    +1
    I could care less what people believe in, as long as they aren't trying to force their voluntary life choices on my life I don't have a problem. It's the people who DEMAND everyone believe and think and act as they do that bother me the most. They are the same ones who refuse to be rational.
  • findthe... Flowers 2012/05/01 03:45:18 (edited)
    findthelight2000
    +1
    Retracted
  • Flowers findthe... 2012/05/01 04:00:52
    Flowers
    +1
    Wait... What?? Oh, um *awkward* I was talking about people who are religious fanatics, the topic of the poll... No where did I say anything about gays. Actually a big supporter of them... So um...

2014/10/31 20:53:00