If You've Ever Stolen From the Grocery Store, How Much Was the Item Worth?

What can we say? We're gaga over groceries! While we shop for our favorite snacks at the store, we often wonder if our grocery store etiquette is the same as others. Do most people sneak in samples at the candy bins while deciding whether or not they're going to buy the goods? What do you do when the cashier gives you too much change? And is it normal to go grocery shopping three times a week? We're finally going to find out.

Take our 8-question "Gaga Over Groceries" survey to have your vote count in the stats -- and have fun shopping!

• Mae 2012/09/09 13:59:14
    I've never stolen from the grocery store!
    Mae
    +7
    I've never stolen so much as a piece of candy from the bulk bins, not even as a child. My Mother raised me better than that. I'll never forget this one time we were grocery shopping, we were so poor, Mom didn't receive any food stamps or other assistance, and our Father had stopped paying child support less than a year after Mom divorced him, so times were really tough with just her paycheck alone. We took a calculator with us to the store because Mom only had so much for groceries. We couldn't even afford meat, that was a luxury we rarely had at that time, but for some reason, something must've told Mom to look in the meat bins that day. She found a package for a whole, cut-up chicken fryer marked as only being .14 cents. Instead of Mom snatching it up and looking for more mispriced meat to buy, she took it, and tried to find the butcher in the department to report it to. But he wasn't anywhere to be found. We asked other employees, and they told us he was on his lunch, and nobody else was in the meat dept. who could help us. So Mom actually waited for him to come back from his lunch. The employees thought she was nuts for not just taking the chicken and leaving it at that, but Mom refused. She wanted to do the right thing, to alert them to the mistake so they wou...
    I've never stolen so much as a piece of candy from the bulk bins, not even as a child. My Mother raised me better than that. I'll never forget this one time we were grocery shopping, we were so poor, Mom didn't receive any food stamps or other assistance, and our Father had stopped paying child support less than a year after Mom divorced him, so times were really tough with just her paycheck alone. We took a calculator with us to the store because Mom only had so much for groceries. We couldn't even afford meat, that was a luxury we rarely had at that time, but for some reason, something must've told Mom to look in the meat bins that day. She found a package for a whole, cut-up chicken fryer marked as only being .14 cents. Instead of Mom snatching it up and looking for more mispriced meat to buy, she took it, and tried to find the butcher in the department to report it to. But he wasn't anywhere to be found. We asked other employees, and they told us he was on his lunch, and nobody else was in the meat dept. who could help us. So Mom actually waited for him to come back from his lunch. The employees thought she was nuts for not just taking the chicken and leaving it at that, but Mom refused. She wanted to do the right thing, to alert them to the mistake so they wouldn't lose the money on the item. When the butcher finally came back and Mom showed him the package, he just said what was done was done, and if she didn't buy it, someone else would. So finally, Mom took it with a clear conscious. She still showed it to the cashier, and told the woman that she'd tried to alert them to their mistake, but the cashier didn't care, she said she'd buy it if Mom didn't. So we took it home, and were able to have a chicken dinner, the first time we'd had meat for supper for probably that whole month. Mom taught me and my siblings that no matter what, even if you were poor and hungry, honesty was always the best policy, that our integrity was more important than trying to get something for nothing.

• addie Twinky 2012/09/11 04:25:42
    addie
    +2
    You are supposed to pay for a catalogue? That is like paying to shop with them.They are rude to charge to shop there and you are rude to steal, so now you are even. lol
  • ellomotto 2012/09/10 19:43:26
    ellomotto
    Whats with all of these grocery store questions lately?
  • BoomLover 2012/09/10 17:08:57
    BoomLover
    +2
    However, I did get caught stealing a 2 cent piece of gum when I was little, and got so embarrassed when I got caught, that I never did it again...
  • anne.k.murphy 2012/09/10 16:22:28
    anne.k.murphy
    +1
    Pocketing too much change is one thing. Outright shoplifting is something else entirely.

When I was about 8 or 9, I was in a drugstore waiting for my mom to come pick me up. I'd made a purchase already but was wandering around the store until my mom came. One of the clerks must have assumed I was putting stuff in the bag because she was following me (I was aware of her following me) and then she called the manager who came up to me and asked to see in my bag. I let him see in it, and he realized I only had my purchases in the bag, so he stapled the bag shut and gave me some speech about being careful in stores with open bags because people could think I'm putting stuff in them blah, blah, blah. (I realized as an adult that they would not have treated an adult like this.)

But the lesson was learned, and I have never considered shoplifting anything, even as a dare.
  • addie anne.k.... 2012/09/11 04:27:18
    addie
    +1
    Pocketing too much change is taking money from the cashier because they have to pay the difference if they are short at the end of the day.
  • Valenti... addie 2012/09/14 01:12:08
    Valentine Oriön
    +1
    What store you working at I never had to? But if you're $20 or more under you get a write up luckily at my 3rd job I was always even.
  • addie Valenti... 2012/09/14 02:20:51
    addie
    That is cool, you get room for error. I worked at a Bagel Nosh, over 20 years ago. I don't think those were outside of NYC or even Manhattan.
  • Valenti... addie 2012/09/14 04:45:35
    Valentine Oriön
    +1
    Different jobs vary the $20 was my first an my 3rd was I think $10. That sucks sometimes the ones stick together I don't think you should have to replace it :(
  • addie Valenti... 2012/09/15 03:06:02
    addie
    They shouldn't, you are right!
  • Sunny 2012/09/10 15:38:05
    Sunny
    Never did, never had to.
  • Carlo 2012/09/10 14:34:35 (edited)
    Less than $20
    Carlo
    +1
    A penlight flashlight toy when I was 9 or 10. I got caught and pissed my pants.

Never stole anything since.

If I were starving I might do it to eat though. Thank goodness that has never happened.
  • Noobcake 2012/09/10 14:32:41
    Noobcake
    +3
    What's with all these over-lapping grocery store questions?
  • Carlo Noobcake 2012/09/10 14:41:02
    Carlo
    +2
    I know huh
  • addie Noobcake 2012/09/11 04:27:48
    addie
    +1
    and taking things.
  • David Noobcake 2012/09/12 14:49:15
    David
    They're influenced by the bad economy.
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/09/10 12:37:04
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    They really don't have anything that is worth that much to take a risk.
  • Joe61 2012/09/10 10:43:27
    Joe61
    Petty theft is not my style and if stealing was I would certainly steal something with a value that would better my life. Why get hung for for a tin of baked beans when you can get the same sentence for stealing a sheep.
  • Ville Squiggles The Finn\(>... 2012/09/10 03:57:29 (edited)
  • Dana 2012/09/10 01:35:26
    Dana
    I stole a compact one time from Kmart! Long, long time ago! Last thing I stole!
  • jgh57 2012/09/09 23:57:23
    jgh57
    But I've helped catch a few shop lifters.
  • addie jgh57 2012/09/11 04:28:37
    addie
    +1
    You are a squealer? That is as bad.
  • jgh57 addie 2012/09/12 06:44:17
    jgh57
    +1
    Lol No. I worked for the grocery store.
  • Carlo addie 2012/09/17 08:25:51
    Carlo
    +1
    That is the whole idea of helping catch shoplifters, reguardless of whether he works there or not. Many crimes are solved in this manner. Sure its a squealer, but only to the criminals. No I dont squeal.
  • addie Carlo 2012/09/18 22:42:53
    addie
    +1
    You are right and if you do not say something you are kind of complicit and theft is theft, I guess. B)
  • Carlo addie 2012/09/20 12:45:23
    Carlo
    Well it may give that impression to ourselves, but others choose not to get involved I think is all to me.
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/09/09 22:35:32
    Christopher Kirchen
    I was raised right, both the sin aspect and the crime aspect of stealing were brought home to me early in life, and it was brought home to me what happens in both senses.
  • jay 2012/09/09 21:12:52
    jay
    When a store decides to stop someone who is stealing, they almost have to prosecute them now just to protect themselves legally. Many stores now offer thieves a deal where, if you sign an agreement to pay the store restitution plus 10 times the value of the stolen items, they will not prosecute. The store then uses the amounts collected to help defray the costs of guards, undercover detectives, camera systems, electronic inventory tagging and conducting physical inventories.
  • Nick Name 2012/09/09 17:13:07
    Nick Name
    +1
    But, I've read shop lifting at grocery stores is skyrocketing.
    People don't have money sometimes.
    On the way home they don't stop to buy food, they stop to steal food. And frequently get caught.

If they don't have food money they probably don't have bail money.
  • Skar 2012/09/09 17:01:41
    Less than $20
    Skar
    +2
    Stole less than a $1 worth of candy when I was a kid. My mom caught me when we were in the car getting ready to leave and took me back in and made me give it back and apologize. I also had to pay for the pieces I had eaten.
    Of course if you try that now days they'll press charges on you. Saw that in the news a few months back, a couple accidentally walked out with a bottle of water and when they went back into the store to pay for it they were charged with shoplifting.
  • Carlo Skar 2012/09/10 14:36:34
    Carlo
    +3
    That sucks, but I'll bet it was thrown out of court.
  • addie Carlo 2012/09/11 04:30:36
    addie
    +1
    Hopefully and the arresting officer embarrassed!
  • Carlo addie 2012/09/17 08:10:03
    Carlo
    Oh hell no the cop was just doing his job, its the store mananger who should be embarrassed.
  • addie Skar 2012/09/11 04:29:55
    addie
    They went back and were charged?? Oh brother!
  • Brian Skar 2012/09/12 17:38:16
    Brian
    I doubt that's more likely these days. Maybe a little. You're just much more likely to hear about it when it does.
  • nina 2012/09/09 14:31:50
    Less than $20
    nina
    +1
    Even as a kid?? Whoever said they have NEVER stolen is lying because I am sure everyone has stolen a small sweet at one stage in their lives
  • Mae 2012/09/09 13:59:14
    Mae
    +7
  • Carlo Mae 2012/09/10 14:40:04
    Carlo
    Well that was long winded but a good story.
  • Steveth... Mae 2012/09/12 01:34:01 (edited)
    Stevethinks
    +1
    I love your Mother and your story; and it wasn't long winded Carlo. She taught you many other things and we ought to listen to all of your stories. Thanks for sharing. I have a Daughter just like her, and I'm sorry to say she was my fault. -:)
  • Carlo Steveth... 2012/09/17 08:13:14
    Carlo
    Okay I give you that one. I wont apologize though because there really isnt anything wrong with being long winded if its informative.
  • Steveth... Carlo 2012/09/17 15:42:48
    Stevethinks
    Who are you to judge?

2014/09/16 15:29:05